Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
From his antics at Spurs now I cannot even believe that he was the manager at United and he even won trophies here. Yes as for Fred his confidence is back and he is not rushing as much as he used to do so that is why he is not making as many mistakes he used to make earlier. I was one of them who thought he is finished at United but I was wrong. I love the bloke even when he was playing horribly because he never gives up even then and now we see a good footballer in him.
Yeah, I think sometimes as fans we have to be more patient and remember they are human and sometimes it just takes time to really show their best.

I think if Jose stayed the Fred would have been gone, probably sell him for 15/20m to a german/french club and they'd of got an absolute bargain.

As you say he's one of my favourite players now too, he's all over the pitch and never hides. He might have some sloppy touches or passes but I don't really care as I know he will make up for it.

criticalanalysis

Tenacity, dribling, relentless running/pressing, passes. His combination of speed and tenacity is incredible and similar to Kante, however this guy has a shit ton more offensive fibers in his body. His turnaround has made me think Mourinho is a complete douchebag and it shows how big of a role a positive manager and motivator can have on certain players.

His passes is sharper, more accurate, harder. He is a lot more aware of what is going on around him, both in terms of his team mates but also in terms of reading how quick opposition players move towards him. He is so relaxed and his pure ability and work-rate is outstanding.

He might become the best Brazilian central midfielder in the PL history. I feel like I'm forgetting someone but the competition for it isn't that hard is it? I can only seem to remember Anderson, Lucas Leiva, Fabinho, Fernandinho, Sandro, Ramires, Paulinho. If Fred keeps going like this he'll be better than Fernandinho.
Fernadinho and Gilberto Silva's form for a couple of seasons at Arsenal may have something to say about that but yes let's hope this continues.

OGS man management have been brilliant.

Irwin99

Comparisons with Kante are weird. I did a player comparisons OPTA thread a few days ago (that sank without a trace :lol: ) and Kante's tackles and interceptions in his Leicester pomp were just unreal. As a pure destroyer I can't think of a better player in the PL era. Fred is more of a box to box with a wider skill set, better passing etc. A comparison with Herrera is more apt in my opinion.

Champagne Football

Fred should win the POTY award, based on how well he has turned things around. Laughing stock to leader. It takes guts and mental strength to achieve that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Comparisons with Kante are weird. I did a player comparisons OPTA thread a few days ago (that sank without a trace :lol: ) and Kante's tackles and interceptions in his Leicester pomp were just unreal. As a pure destroyer I can't think of a better player in the PL era. Fred is more of a box to box with a wider skill set, better passing etc. A comparison with Herrera is more apt in my opinion.
In style and ability I’d say. Herrera had better passing technique and mental interception stats, Fred is the more confident ball carrier and has outrageous stamina.

Irwin99

In style and ability I’d say. Herrera had better passing technique and mental interception stats, Fred is the more confident ball carrier and has outrageous stamina.
I like Fred's between the line passes a little more. Herrera had an excellent cross on him though and they're both equally tenacious. It would have been interesting to have compared Hererra's 16/17 season stats with Fred from this season had he finished this season. Ander is far ahead when you compare the two on player comparison but had played 6 more games in 16/17. Someone else can do the averages, i'm too lazy :D

Foxbatt

It is his never say die spirit too. He seems to be a leader too. He is never shy to take the responsibility. I think with the arrival of Bruno a load has been taken off Fred as now he can try to do things he is best at instead of trying to do too many things all the time.
I think we have to give Ole and his coaching staff all the credit for his turnaround. Of course to Fred too. It is never easy to come to England and especially Manchester and play for such a big club. It was obvious now that he needed time. He is the engine room of the team. The one who does the running and the hard work so creative players like Bruno has the time and space to create.

Last edited:

OldTrevil

For me Herrera was a good box to box mid with room to improve and very good potential if used correctly. He was wrongly turned into a #6 by Mourinho and ended up playing coward, back-pass football as he could never get used to taking risks with his forward passes further back in midfield.

Fred, even though he has good attacking qualities, has never struck me as box to box. He is used to playing deep, very good in sniffing out attacks and cutting out passing lanes from that position. I said it from the beginning when he was getting constant abuse that he gave me Kante vibes. You either play him in a double pivot behind a #10 or as a destroyer behind two box to box #8's, like Casemiro at Real. Fred's a good footballer so one could get away with shoehorning him at #8, but it wouldn't be the best use of his attributes. I hope Ole does not do the same mistake as was done with Herrera, only this time in reverse. It's been said many times, but Fred would have been a perfect replacement for Fernandinho had he gone to City.

Stacks

For me Herrera was a good box to box mid with room to improve and very good potential if used correctly. He was wrongly turned into a #6 by Mourinho and ended up playing coward, back-pass football as he could never get used to taking risks with his forward passes further back in midfield.

Fred, even though he has good attacking qualities, has never struck me as box to box. He is used to playing deep, very good in sniffing out attacks and cutting out passing lanes from that position. I said it from the beginning when he was getting constant abuse that he gave me Kante vibes. You either play him in a double pivot behind a #10 or as a destroyer behind two box to box #8's, like Casemiro at Real. Fred's a good footballer so one could get away with shoehorning him at #8, but it wouldn't be the best use of his attributes. I hope Ole does not do the same mistake as was done with Herrera, only this time in reverse. It's been said many times, but Fred would have been a perfect replacement for Fernandinho had he gone to City.
It was Van Gaal actually. He prevented Herrera from his natural instincts of passing forward and he became a sideways pass merchant. Van Gaal ruined the lad.

OldTrevil

It was Van Gaal actually. He prevented Herrera from his natural instincts of passing forward and he became a sideways pass merchant. Van Gaal ruined the lad.
LVG didn't play him as much, but the few times he played him we played some of our best football. I think he was biding time with him until he got the team to fully understand his methods before introducing risky passers, especially since the rest of our midfield was limited anyway. Mourinho is the one who actually sat Herrera down and convinced him to change to a #6 and then becoming a packpass and sideways merchant.

Stacks

LVG didn't play him as much, but the few times he played him we played some of our best football. I think he was biding time with him until he got the team to fully understand his methods before introducing risky passers, especially since the rest of our midfield was limited anyway. Mourinho is the one who actually sat Herrera down and convinced him to change to a #6 and then becoming a packpass and sideways merchant.
It was more LVG 2nd season when I noticed the change in Herrera. He started off looking like the answer. He was shooting, scoring, was excellent at the through ball. His attacking output halved between his 1st and second season. less shots per game, less key passes, less dribbles, half as many long balls. Many of these metrics went back up under Jose. I am just going by EPL games

OldTrevil

It was more LVG 2nd season when I noticed the change in Herrera. He started off looking like the answer. He was shooting, scoring, was excellent at the through ball. His attacking output halved between his 1st and second season. less shots per game, less key passes, less dribbles, half as many long balls. Many of these metrics went back up under Jose. I am just going by EPL games
There was a drop in Herrera's offensive performance in the second season, I can agree with that, but you got the sense the madman was just being risk averse due to the limited footballing quality in midfield and defence. Jose totally clipped Herrera by convincing him to play as #6. The metrics may have gone up as you say, but likely never got back to his best. I certainly don't base on stats more than viewing performances, although the clear cut ones like goals and assists are helpful of course. For me the key point of no return for Herrera was the change in position coerced by Mourinho.

Foxbatt

I think LVG has to be blamed for some issues but Woodward more. I don't think any manager who took over from Moyes was going to change it in one season. But he bought so many duds too and dropped too many players without giving them chances. Comments from Memphis proves this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why have you decided, based upon statistics from 4 years ago, that the comparison is weird? Has Kanté not been playing since then?

KennyBurner

I dont think there is a single game this season against top opposition were Fred has had a bad performance. Even during fergusons era we haven't had many players like him with both an engine and ability to thread a pass. I love that he's always ready to play well against City. Really wish we could have done better against them as a team in the first leg.

He is my player of the season just for the fact I cant remember a bad performance this season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I dont think there is a single game this season against top opposition were Fred has had a bad performance. Even during fergusons era we haven't had many players like him with both an engine and ability to thread a pass. I love that he's always ready to play well against City. Really wish we could have done better against them as a team in the first leg.

He is my player of the season just for the fact I cant remember a bad performance this season.
He’s pretty much majority or at least 80% United fans player of the season. I’m thinking to get his shirt next season.

NoPace

Tenacity, dribling, relentless running/pressing, passes. His combination of speed and tenacity is incredible and similar to Kante, however this guy has a shit ton more offensive fibers in his body. His turnaround has made me think Mourinho is a complete douchebag and it shows how big of a role a positive manager and motivator can have on certain players.

His passes is sharper, more accurate, harder. He is a lot more aware of what is going on around him, both in terms of his team mates but also in terms of reading how quick opposition players move towards him. He is so relaxed and his pure ability and work-rate is outstanding.

He might become the best Brazilian central midfielder in the PL history. I feel like I'm forgetting someone but the competition for it isn't that hard is it? I can only seem to remember Anderson, Lucas Leiva, Fabinho, Fernandinho, Sandro, Ramires, Paulinho. If Fred keeps going like this he'll be better than Fernandinho.
I'd probably have Gilberto Silva or Juninho #1. Arsenal still haven't replaced Gilberto and it's been 12 years or something, and he was first choice when they went undefeated and in a 2 man midfield that's a fairly incredible achievement even when your partner is a prime Vieira. He wasn't great to watch but he was effective.

Foxbatt

The last few minutes against City was unbelievable. Where does he get the stamina to sprint like that? Ole should not drop him if he plays like this. If Pogba comes back Ole should drop a forward like James and play Martial and Rashford up front.

izec

Terrible today, his passing was garbage. Was he in Brazil at the beach for the last 3 months? A football seemed unknown to him

edcunited1878

He wasn't good today, but neither was McTominay and they don't pair well together right now. Surprised he started and not Matic who allows his partner to go forward and play free knowing Matic is defensively aware and maintains shape.

Kostov

I really don't see it with this guy. We need a proper CDM if we are to amount to anything next season. Fred is very average in his defensive game.

flappyjay

I think he is the type that needs 3-4 games to get into things. He was garbage today

reddevil80

Sadly he is in need of quite a few games to get going I'm afraid. Not his best game tonight and would have rathered we started with Matic but I'm not the coach.

He'sRaldo

I think he has a problem winning tackles without help, which has been consistent this season even before the long layoff. His physicality and defensive game in general isn't at a high level even though he has high work rate.

For that reason, I don't think he can be our lone DM, and should be more of a versatile rotational player akin to Milner.

RORY65

He had a poor game tonight, as others have noted he seems like a player who needs more games to find a rhythm as he did earlier in the season. My concern with him is where he fits in long term, I'm not sure against any half decent side he can be the most defensive of the midfielders and presuming Pogba is here for the next 12 months at least I don't think you can really justify leaving someone with his quality out for Fred so despite his significant improvement this season he may end up being a squad/rotational player.

Status
Not open for further replies.