Fred image 17

Fred Brazil flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Interesting how people look at Fred if we sell him for any decent money (20-25m for example). I saw a lot of people getting angry on here about how a flop Fred has been, but I believe he was our best midfielder in the last few years, and even in Casemiro-Eriksen days he contributed to a some goals. Last season he was a squad player and did a very good job, I'd be OK with him next season but doesn't make much sense now that we have Mount + we really need Case cover.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The fact that Anderson could play on the half turn alone makes him better, I'm sure we can agree he was a better foward passes of the ball and ball carrier!?

The only outstanding thing about Fred is his energy.
Anderson's best attribues was carrying the ball (quite good close control too) but his passing was worse than Fred.
Both Anderson and Rafael were very injury-prone so Fred is definitely above them in terms of "Brazilians at United".

GL21

Is he our best Brazilian so far?

For me he is better than Anderson, Rafael, Kleberson & even Antony.
Fred may have played more but he's also had a much worse percentage of bottom of the barrell performances. At his worst Fred is diabolical. No where near good enough for Manchester United

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Anderson's best attribues was carrying the ball (quite good close control too) but his passing was worse than Fred.
Both Anderson and Rafael were very injury-prone so Fred is definitely above them in terms of "Brazilians at United".
I'll disagreeing with the passing bit, injuries crept in frequently during the 2010-11 season but before that he was a very reliable squad player.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'll disagreeing with the passing bit, injuries crept in frequently during the 2010-11 season but before that he was a very reliable squad player.
That's not how I remember him, I recall he was very often in and out of the squad, and he could hardly last more than 60' on the pitch. He looked better on the ball, but was level above Fred in terms of impact surely.

OverratedOpinion

Both are bang average and there isn't much between them either , it's about time both move on they have outlived their usefulness .
This is such a myth perpetuated by the "McFred" stuff. Fred has consistently put in good performances for us whilst McTominay has been consistently poor.

We can do better than Fred and I won't weep if he leaves. If only one is leaving though it should definitely be McTominay.

gajender

This is such a myth perpetuated by the "McFred" stuff. Fred has consistently put in good performances for us whilst McTominay has been consistently poor.

We can do better than Fred and I won't weep if he leaves. If only one is leaving though it should definitely be McTominay.
It's just matter of opinion both have good and bad games , mostly bad more often than not it's just that Fred had some good performances against Decent opposition so he sticks in memory bit better .

Personal opinion both should be leaving this Summer keeping them shouldn't even be an option .

GL21

Wow, consistently?? Really? The only thing consistent about Fred is that he's consistently inconsistent. I think even his fan base recognise this

Devil You Know

How this lad still has a fan club is beyond me.
I think a lot of people just like to watch players that run around and get stuck in, regardless of the quality they have. It's easier for them to understand and at least it gets their blood racing.

Dempsey19

How this lad still has a fan club is beyond me.
Yeah it's bizarre. The "brings energy" fan club :lol: Frustrating as hell player. He's another player along with Maguire that makes me extremely nervous when coming on.

He's not very good other than "running around alot"

El Zoido

It’s quite shocking the list of players that have had 4-5+ year stints with us, playing tons of games, despite being clearly not good enough.

zaafi

Yeah it's bizarre. The "brings energy" fan club :lol: Frustrating as hell player. He's another player along with Maguire that makes me extremely nervous when coming on.

He is not good enough on a consistent basis and he should leave, but he has truly had some fantastic performances for us, especially against the big teams and is a huge part of how we actually beat PSG in the CL and City in the league.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good Fred / Bad Fred exists for a reason - when Fred is good he is genuinely, very good.

Devil You Know

Good Fred / Bad Fred exists for a reason - when Fred is good he is genuinely, very good.
Nah, it's always a single player: chaotic Fred.

Chaotic Fred makes both his own team and the opposition team worse at the same time. When people talk about "Good Fred" what they mean is that it's a game where the opposition are failing to cope as well United.

zaafi

Nah, it's always a single player: chaotic Fred.

Chaotic Fred makes both his own team and the opposition team worse at the same time. When people talk about "Good Fred" what they mean is that it's a game where the opposition are failing to cope as well United.
So much wrong in a single post

When we play well he is usually our best player, or certainly one of them. He only suits certain games but he needs to play all the time to keep his form up, so hopefully ETH can figure out a way around that conundrum.

He is miles better than McTominay and always has been.

gajender

When we play well he is usually our best player, or certainly one of them. He only suits certain games but he needs to play all the time to keep his form up, so hopefully ETH can figure out a way around that conundrum.

He is miles better than McTominay and always has been.
I don't think He is that bothered if he is Letting him go .

Remember the geese

I don't, I think he should be sold. But Fred twice the player of McT, is pure crap and you know it. I personally would prefer to keep McT over Fred, simply due to age and his ability to play deeper and potentially replace Casemiro.
He isn't good enough to replace Casemiro. Fred has been replaced by Mount. McTominay should be replaced by Mainoo.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Isn't this one od the main reasons we are replacing Eriksen with Mount?

He isn't good enough to replace Casemiro. Fred has been replaced by Mount. McTominay should be replaced by Mainoo.
This. There is no need to stick to McTominay as he isn't even the one to cover for Casemiro.

Kostov

I worded it badly, not potentially to replace him long term, but as CDM he is the only other midfielder who can deputize to some extent. Mainoo hopefully can do it better and save us a fortune.

Devil You Know

I don't, I think he should be sold. But Fred twice the player of McT, is pure crap and you know it. I personally would prefer to keep McT over Fred, simply due to age and his ability to play deeper and potentially replace Casemiro.
As would I.

Neither Fred nor McTominay are good enough to start, but both on average are at about the same level. The difference is that McTominay gives us nothing, whereas Fred gives us a little bit while taking away the same amount. So they end up contributing about the same, albeit through different approaches.

The reason I'd keep McTominay is because he can slot in as a physical presence and do nothing else as long as he's got more creative passers around him. For a manager, he's a useful body to have.

I think the reason EtH wants to sell Fred (and the reason Mourinho never warmed to him) is because he introduces too many unknown variables every time he's on the pitch. A systemised manager can't plan around this in the way a "moments" manager like Ole could. You never know if Fred is going to make a tackle to start a counterattack or get caught badly out of position to expose his defence. And you never know if he's going to make an assist for his own team or an assist the opposition team. So where and how do you play him? Obviously not at DM because he'd be a liability. But is he worth taking up an AM slot close to the striker? Not ideally, because that would be a waste in a creative part of the pitch.

Fred was a player for every occasion, and none. I won't miss him on the pitch.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

Pure crap? Nope, he's just a drastically better player.

Remember the geese

I worded it badly, not potentially to replace him long term, but as CDM he is the only other midfielder who can deputize to some extent. Mainoo hopefully can do it better and save us a fortune.
Yeah, McTominay was used there last season but I didn't rate the majority of his performances in that role. Mainoo is in a different stratosphere when it comes to talent and it appears that this is the role that ten Hag has earmarked for him.

Kostov

Yeah, McTominay was used there last season but I didn't rate the majority of his performances in that role. Mainoo is in a different stratosphere when it comes to talent and it appears that this is the role that ten Hag has earmarked for him.
I seem to remember him having very solid games at the start of the season alongside Eriksen, when a certain "drastically" better player was playing like a drunk. That does not excuse the shower of shit that followed later in the season on occasions. Mainoo has the potential to be the full package, I hope ETH gives him the platform.

As would I.

Neither Fred nor McTominay are good enough to start, but both on average are at about the same level. But the difference is that McTominay gives us nothing, whereas Fred gives us a little bit while taking away the same amount. So they end up contributing about as much as each other, albeit through different approaches.

The reason I'd keep McTominay is because he can slot in as a physical presence and do nothing else as long as he's got more creative passers around him. For a manager, he's a useful body to have.

I think the reason EtH wants to sell Fred (and the reason Mourinho never warmed to him) is because he introduces too many unknown variables every time he's on the pitch. A systemised manager can't plan around this in the way a "moments" manager like Ole could. You never know if Fred is going to make a tackle to start a counterattack or get badly out of position to expose his defence. And you never know if he's going to make an assists for his own team or the opposition team. So where and how do you play him? Obviously not at DM because he'd be a liability. But is he worth taking up an AM slot close to the striker? Not ideally, because that would be a waste in a creative part of the pitch.

Fred was a player for every occasion and none. I won't miss him on the pitch.
Ideally we can give those minutes to Mainoo and McT is kept as a cold reserve.

Remember the geese

I seem to remember him having very solid games at the start of the season alongside Eriksen, when a certain "drastically" better player was playing like a drunk. That does not excuse the shower of shit that followed later in the season on occasions. Mainoo has the potential to be the full package, I hope ETH gives him the platform.
Yeah he did have a few decent games early on, as Casemiro was adjusting to the league. Fred is definitely a far better player though. I have to agree with the others.

Oranges038

I think a lot of people just like to watch players that run around and get stuck in, regardless of the quality they have. It's easier for them to understand and at least it gets their blood racing.

I've never seen it with him and I never will. I know people will always say you can't compare players across eras and all that.

But I occasionally throw on MUTV and there'll be old games on from 90s/00's, the one thing that always sticks out to me is that in those sides almost every player was comfortable on the ball, could play quick 1-2 touch football and their passing and tempo was to a high standard.

Then you move forward a few years and you have Fred and McT. Who can barely play off 3/4/5 touches with any great consistency or urgency and their passing range is fecking awful. Yet, people still think they should stay after watching them for 5 years.

Fecking sadists.

Kostov

Yeah he did have a few decent games early on, as Casemiro was adjusting to the league. Fred is definitely a far better player though. I have to agree with the others.
I really rate Fred so low to describe him as a far better player. Nevermind, if we can get 20m of someone for him, we've got a steal.

Remember the geese

I really rate Fred so low to describe him as a far better player. Nevermind, if we can get 20m of someone for him, we've got a steal.
Yeah £20m would be great business considering he's in the last year of his contract. Sounds as if the bids up to now have been very much below par though.

Status
Not open for further replies.