Fred and Set Plays

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looking at the clip again I'm not convinced the bench made the decision to let Fred take it. Mata shouts to them then walks over to speak to Fred, Fred responds and Mata walks away then starts responding angrily to the bench shouting at him again. I think the bench might have told him to take it and Fred said no. I could be wrong, but I don't understand the angry response to the second round of shouting if they had already told him not to take it. What would they have been shouting after that to get the angry response? I think they were telling Mata to take it and he was angry at Fred refusing to let him. He didn't get angry until after he spoke to Fred.
If the bench told him to take it then surely he'd have gone back to Fred or Maguire would have stepped in?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He’s just said on BeIN sports that “the lads have been practicing that and I let them take the decision between themselves on the pitch”.

Unbelievable.
It doesn't look like mata put up much of a fight in that case.

Art Vandelay

If the bench told him to take it then surely he'd have gone back to Fred or Maguire would have stepped in?
That's what I was thinking, but he was possibly too nice to force the issue. I dunno, I find him not getting angry until he spoke to Fred and then the bench shouting at him the second time doesn't add up to them telling him not to take it. He seemed to agree with whatever they said before he spoke to Fred. I also struggle to buy anyone but Fred deciding Fred should take it.

NYAS

He shouldn’t be letting players “decide between themselves” in that kind of situation, at that point of the tie, given the circumstances. It’s a decision a manager takes.

This wasn’t a penalty to go 5-0 up at home to Barnet.

Okey

Look for a compilation of Mata's free kicks. That is his literally his spot. Almost always hits the target and almost all his goals are from there. Criminally shocking decision to have anyone but him take that. No one there had scored any for United before apart from Mata.

Relevated

He shouldn’t be letting players “decide between themselves” in that kind of situation, at that point of the tie, given the circumstances. It’s a decision a manager takes.

This wasn’t a penalty to go 5-0 up at home to Barnet.
He should have learnt from his mistake earlier on in the season when he let the players decide on who's taking the pen. He gives them too much freedom at crucial moments.

Okey

He’s just said on BeIN sports that “the lads have been practicing that and I let them take the decision between themselves on the pitch”.

Unbelievable.
That's just sad. Depressing. You're a nice chap Ole, but you'll never be a top manager or win things this way. You have to rule the roost. That was our chance there. And you let the players decide??? What on earth was Mata brought on for then? Surely not fresh legs?!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, he's too bloody nice... But not much you can do if Fred is determined to take it. Would just cause a scene.

The bench or captain should be stepping in there... They've all surely watched Feed shoot. For all his faults I bet Young would have...he used to always hover a round free kicks and say what's what.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Mata has every right to demand that, and feel aggrieved he didn’t get it. How many does he have to smash in from exactly that range before he becomes our free kick taker? That’s baffling enough on its own, but to give it to fecking Fred of all people...

Dominos

This sort of lack of attention to detail is maybe the biggest justified criticism you can have with Ole. Letting Pogba and Rashford argue over the penalties earlier in the season, and Mata not taking this free kick when it's in his perfect position.

They're treating these games like it's a kickabout on the school yard. Absolutely bizarre.

Shimo

Someone should have shown Ole and Co. the video of "goal of the day" United had just put in their FB page - Mata scoring with a freekick against Juve, kinda would have reminded them he actually has scored his fair share.

Renegade

Club full of pussies tbf. Mata needs to be demanding that and Ole needs to be telling Fred to feck off. Annoying.

thepolice123

There were clearly some confusion on freekick taker and Ole did not take charge of the situation. You can see Mata was gesturing to the stands in fustration.

Relevated

There were clearly some confusion on freekick taker and Ole did not take charge of the situation. You can see Mata was gesturing to the stands in fustration.
Ole said in the post match that mata told him that Fred was great in training at free kicks and that they felt it was his moment.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Unbelievable.
So Fred decided then, by the sounds of this and Mata speaking to him. Team of fecking morons, I swear.

podurban2

Mata is so fecking soft. I’ve seen him miss out on taking so many free kicks over the years when he’s been the best taker on the pitch. He needs to be demanding that there ffs, bonkers decision to let fred hit it
It was obvious Mata wanted to take it. Sure, he should have been more imposing. But he is a team player.

izec

Mata is so fecking soft. I’ve seen him miss out on taking so many free kicks over the years when he’s been the best taker on the pitch. He needs to be demanding that there ffs, bonkers decision to let fred hit it
Fred improved on his form and thinks he is the dog's bollocks now it seems going by the free kicks, corners and shots he takes. Someone needs to have a chat with him. He is atrocious in those things.

With Fernandes coming in, i hope we have someone who is much better than anyone else in the team, so there would be no need to fight it out.

Art Vandelay

If that was Fred and Fred alone's decision I'd fine him. There is no excuse for demanding to take the freekick in that situation with his record. The hubris and lack of self awareness is shocking.

Acole9

Outstanding
Absolutely ludicrous that he was allowed to take that free kick. You have to blame the management for not having the balls to tell him that Mata should've taken it, he's the best free kick taker at the club.

Castia

Couldn't believe Mata didn't take that free kick I was fecking fuming.

I like Fred but his shooting seems to be one of his weaker traits.

Tony Clifton

I couldn't believe it either. It was a free-kick with Mata's name on it.

Yesterday during the day, a bit randomly I thought about our last trip to Turin and that bisarre (end very enjoyable) victory against Juventus. So I YouTube:d it then for a nice viewing. Specifically, I mostly looked forward to seeing Mata's free-kick goal again.

So against City last night, when we got the free-kick late in the game, I really felt the stars would align and he'd replicate that, seeing as it was in pretty much the exact same spot. Imagine my discontent when realising that Mata wasn't going to take it.

1 minute in

He scored another against Newcastle, in and around that same time, in another comeback. He's probably our top free-kick taker, or rather: I trust in his abilities the most in those scenarios.

1 minute in

lumeyes

Mata is like Ole: too much of a nice guy and easily argued away. He should've stood his ground as the most experienced outfield player on the pitch and demanded the ball.

That arguably cost us the tie, as I'm pretty certain Mata would've got that up and over the wall, and on target. With how shit Bravo is too.

Gutted.
All the blame is on Ole. He should have simply told Fred to get the hell out of the way, but he didn't. Does he not know the history of his players? That was Mata's freekick, the next in line being Perreira.

Perhaps we can justify this with the usual refrain: Ole sees them in training