Fred is one of the most underrated players in England

SinNombre

Anyone who thinks Barry was better, leave alone miles better, than Carrick needs their head examined.

Preggy99

Without the ball very good 8/10. Stamina very good 8/10. Tenacity very good 8/10

With the ball hmmmm. Passing ability 5/10 unless it is sideways or backwards 5 yards, it can go very wrong. Creativity 2/10.

We are Manchester Untied FFS, we need our midfielders to be able to pass/create as well as run around and tackle. Rice would be a big upgrade on Fred I think, agent Maguire was in his ear after the game, lets hope.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We need an upgrade on Fred on games like this. Predictable, clumsy, lightweight, slow in possession and painfully left-footed.

I thought McTominay was average tonight but at least he looks safe when in possession in his own half. Fred terrifies me and the opposition target him.
It's posts like this that just show what a huge subconscious bias there is either towards McTominay or against Fred (or a bit of both).

Fred dominated the midfield most of the match. He made 38% more passes than McTominay with almost the same completion rate (94.5% vs 95.5%). He literally plays more passes with his weak foot than anybody else in our team, averaging 28% over the season compared to McTominay's 8%. Fred got dispossessed twice while McTominay was five times.

People go into games with their biases and then they allow those biases to effect how they see the match.

Lentwood

It's posts like this that just show what a huge subconscious bias there is either towards McTominay or against Fred (or a bit of both).

Fred dominated the midfield most of the match. He made 38% more passes than McTominay with almost the same completion rate (94.5% vs 95.5%). He literally plays more passes with his weak foot than anybody else in our team, averaging 28% over the season compared to McTominay's 8%. Fred got dispossessed twice while McTominay was five times.

People go into games with their biases and then they allow those biases to effect how they see the match.
Not at all. I think people don’t actually watch games properly anymore and revert to just posting meaningless statistics. Statistics once showed David May was the best passer in the Premier League.

There is no algorithm for what makes a decent football player unfortunately. It will always be a matter of opinion, based on what a good judge of a player sees in the little half moments and nuances of the game.

Fred plays CM for Manchester United. We had almost all of the ball yesterday in a home game against West Ham. Therefore, you would expect that he’s going to rack up plenty of passes (with both feet) and have a high pass completion rate.

However, most of these passes are sideways or backwards and/or it takes one extra touch to get the pass away. A statistic won’t tell you how many times he could have gone forwards but was too slow or how many times he made an easy pass when a more difficult but more effective pass was on. Compare this man to the midfield players I have grown up watching (Carrick, Keane and Scholes) and I don’t care what statistics you want to throw out, he’s nowhere near.

Fred works hard and gets about the pitch but he plays CM for Manchester United. There needs to be more to his game. I’m not saying sell him, I’m saying use him as the destroyer in big games and get a more progressive player in for games we dominate the ball.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not at all. I think people don’t actually watch games properly anymore and revert to just posting meaningless statistics. Statistics once showed David May was the best passer in the Premier League.

There is no algorithm for what makes a decent football player unfortunately. It will always be a matter of opinion, based on what a good judge of a player sees in the little half moments and nuances of the game.

Fred plays CM for Manchester United. We had almost all of the ball yesterday in a home game against West Ham. Therefore, you would expect that he’s going to rack up plenty of passes (with both feet) and have a high pass completion rate.

However, most of these passes are sideways or backwards and/or it takes one extra touch to get the pass away. A statistic won’t tell you how many times he could have gone forwards but was too slow or how many times he made an easy pass when a more difficult but more effective pass was on. Compare this man to the midfield players I have grown up watching (Carrick, Keane and Scholes) and I don’t care what statistics you want to throw out, he’s nowhere near.

Fred works hard and gets about the pitch but he plays CM for Manchester United. There needs to be more to his game. I’m not saying sell him, I’m saying use him as the destroyer in big games and get a more progressive player in for games we dominate the ball.
But you compared him poorly to McTominay, when Fred was comfortably better in almost every aspect. McTominay didn't rack up plenty of passes, he passed the ball with his weaker foot less, and he gave the ball away more. Things that you specifically criticised Fred for. There's no stats for it but I would say McTominay slows the play down and takes the easy pass more than Fred. Matic obviously slows it down even further if we wanted to bring our other midfielders into it.

Is Fred at the level of the likes of Carrick, Keane and Scholes? Of course not. But you were unhappy with him and happier with McTominay in a game that Fred was comfortably better. That shows the bias that I mentioned.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Fred is great, and him and McTominay have been consistently good for us for nearly two years now.

In this season, where majority of the team are playing within themselves, or retracted in terms of performances, consistency of performance is a blessing.

Lentwood

But you compared him poorly to McTominay, when Fred was comfortably better in almost every aspect. McTominay didn't rack up plenty of passes, he passed the ball with his weaker foot less, and he gave the ball away more. Things that you specifically criticised Fred for. There's no stats for it but I would say McTominay slows the play down and takes the easy pass more than Fred. Matic obviously slows it down even further if we wanted to bring our other midfielders into it.

Is Fred at the level of the likes of Carrick, Keane and Scholes? Of course not. But you were unhappy with him and happier with McTominay in a game that Fred was comfortably better. That shows the bias that I mentioned.
But I clearly say in my first post I thought McTominay was “average” last night, which considering I was very happy with the team’s performance overall isn’t exactly glowing.

The reason I generally prefer McTominay to Fred is that McTominay gets more goals and is more of a physical presence. I also feel McTominay does have a better (albeit still not spectacular) range of passing and is better at receiving and shielding the ball in tight areas.

For me, Fred will always be useful in those games we’re likely to be on the back foot but, like many people, I don’t think him and McTom are a viable pair in home games against teams we are likely to dominate the ball against and I personally prefer McTom for the reasons I have outlined

Polar

Prefer McT, but think we play him to deep in our build up. Fred is a work machine more suited for some games than others. Would love to see a new more creative and playmaking CMD - behind maybe McT and VDB as CMs and Bruno as AM. Rashford and Cavani on top.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
How can anyone find him anything more than just a great guy(by the looks of it he is at least funny guy) who is lucky to play for Manchester United is beyond me :lol:

Oranges038

Basically he's like Park, in the sense that the only comparable attribute he has with him is that he can run a lot.

Zoo

Fantastic in the second half. Good to see Robbie Savage praising him a lot, he wasn’t underrating him at least.

Eternitiy

He stepped up in the second half, but the first half was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. He's not good enough to be a starter here.

Litch

He stepped up in the second half, but the first half was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. He's not good enough to be a starter here.
The second half has been Fred for a long time, poor March does not define his season.....

Peterfeeter

Fantastic in the second half. Good to see Robbie Savage praising him a lot, he wasn’t underrating him at least.
I listened to the match on 5live. Neil Lennon said Fred,Scott and James played well.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Basically he's like Park, in the sense that the only comparable attribute he has with him is that he can run a lot.
At least Park's position didn't play that important role in grand scheme of things. With Fred we are basically stuck with player who is supposed to orchestre the midfield and his passing is average as it can be. We have no Carrick behind him to play that role so we need to rely on him to do it, so that's why we are mostly terrible to watch in first place.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s not underrated at all. He’s a workhorse who makes the odd good tackle & the odd clumsy foul. His passing is shit.

Wewinsoon

He’s not underrated at all. He’s a workhorse who makes the odd good tackle & the odd clumsy foul. His passing is shit.
He were underrated just look first season. He is important for the team, now we just need a real cm instead of pogba and a real strong younger cdm, and our middle can beat it

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Prime example why he should never be more than a squad player. Way too sloppy on the ball.

MikeeMike

How can anyone find him anything more than just a great guy(by the looks of it he is at least funny guy) who is lucky to play for Manchester United is beyond me :lol:
This.. Not under , not over. Just not rated

Kostov

There are people on here who think he is as good as Kante or Ndidi, if anything he is overrated. If we are to seriously compete, we need to demote him to the bench and bring someone better.