Fred is one of the most underrated players in England

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What on earth would be the point of someone as technically woeful as Fred next to a DM? What would he possibly offer except taking up a space on the field that could be filled by someone who can create and score goals.
There are different types of DM's, and I presume he meant play Fred next to a deep-lying playmaker. The playmaker would then be the main controller and creative player in the midfield while also sitting in a position that cleans up opposition breaks and counter-attacks, while Fred provides the pressing and quick ball-winning ability while also being better on the ball than many make out.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He didn’t get England caps because England had completely incompetent managers. England should of won a World Cup or Euros with the squad they had.
They also had better players than Carrick...no manager was that incompetent they played their worse players. Barry was preferred to Carrick and was a player of a similar level but much better defensively. Then the likes of Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard were levels above him.

Litch

He didn’t get England caps because England had completely incompetent managers. England should of won a World Cup or Euros with the squad they had.
def, for me was a player who played mostly In the wrong era when I'm not sure 4 4 2 suited him. Like already said Gerrard and Lampard were world class talents....

Bwuk

They also had better players than Carrick...no manager was that incompetent they played their worse players. Barry was preferred to Carrick and was a player of a similar level but much better defensively. Then the likes of Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard were levels above him.
Carrick was miles ahead of Gareth Barry ffs

U99ted

You've had a shocker there, mate.

Lentwood

We need an upgrade on Fred on games like this. Predictable, clumsy, lightweight, slow in possession and painfully left-footed.

I thought McTominay was average tonight but at least he looks safe when in possession in his own half. Fred terrifies me and the opposition target him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Carrick was miles ahead of Gareth Barry ffs
You might think so. Many managers didn’t. So much overrating of Carrick. Different players but similar levels. Obviously for England Barry was miles better though.

Eugenius

He wasn’t.
Carrick who was first choice CM for the most successful period of Man Utd's history?

Who towards the end of Fergie's reign was largely playing in a two man midfield with Cleverley, or 35 year old plus Scholes and Giggs.

Seriously go look at some videos of Carrick's passing range and passing between the lines. Barry was a water carrier.

mu4c_20le

He wasn’t.
Barry shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Carrick, he only gets favoured by managers because of his work rate. England managers didn't have a fecking clue on how to use a deep lying playmaker like Carrick.

Bwuk

You might think so. Many managers didn’t. So much overrating of Carrick. Different players but similar levels. Obviously for England Barry was miles better though.
England had a bunch of managers making clueless decisions on the constant. Scholes as a winger, Heskey starting etc etc.

I cannot fathom anyone would think Barry was a better player than Carrick. Barry was closer to Fletchers level.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Carrick who was first choice CM for the most successful period of Man Utd's history?

Who towards the end of Fergie's reign was largely playing in a two man midfield with Cleverley, or 35 year old plus Scholes and Giggs.

Seriously go look at some videos of Carrick's passing range and passing between the lines. Barry was a water carrier.
Barry played for City and ahead of Carrick for England....you won’t find many non united fans who think Carrick was anywhere near what some of our fan base think...based on the players he played with.

Who says he was first choice? There were periods where he was benched for Anderson and Cleverly. Periods in most seasons where he was on the bench. He was a good player, he had one great season, but Barry was far more consistent. You knew what you were getting especially in big games. Carrick had mentality issues.

As for passing....no thanks I’d rather watch Scholes, Becks, Keane, Cantona if we’re talking passing. I wouldn’t waste my time watching back over Carrick....there’s been so many better United players than him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We need an upgrade on Fred on games like this. Predictable, clumsy, lightweight, slow in possession and painfully left-footed.

I thought McTominay was average tonight but at least he looks safe when in possession in his own half. Fred terrifies me and the opposition target him.
He’s always knocking it about with either foot. I often wonder who people are actually watching when they say this about Fred of all people

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Barry shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Carrick, he only gets favoured by managers because of his work rate. England managers didn't have a fecking clue on how to use a deep lying playmaker like Carrick.
Fabio Capello didn’t know how to use a deep lying play maker?

If he was a great one he’d have played....as it was he wasn’t and Barry gave way better balance to the players ahead of him.

cyberman

Hes good at keeping possession in and around the box. Nearly all of the recycled balls out are to him

mu4c_20le

Fabio Capello didn’t know how to use a deep lying play maker?

If he was a great one he’d have played....as it was he wasn’t and Barry gave way better balance to the players ahead of him.
Fabio Capello didn't have the bollocks to drop Lampard or Gerrard. He also stuck with a 442 for most of his tenure until he was eventually criticized for it. He put Gerrard on the left ffs

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
England had a bunch of managers making clueless decisions on the constant. Scholes as a winger, Heskey starting etc etc.

I cannot fathom anyone would think Barry was a better player than Carrick. Barry was closer to Fletchers level.
The three of them were all of a similar level. Players like Scholes, Giggs, Gerrard, Lampard etc were levels above.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
feck me. I didn't rate Carrick nearly as highly as most of the forum, but on par with Barry? :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Fabio Capello didn't have the bollocks to drop Lampard or Gerrard. He also stuck with a 442 for most of his tenure until he was eventually criticized for it.
You don’t drop Lampard or Gerrard for Carrick. He’s not in their league. He was competing with Barry but didn’t complement them and to be frank was absolutely useless when given the opportunity.

cyberman

Thats not true. He helped control the game from deep while providing a screen for one of the best teams in Europe.
Nobody takes English national team managers seriously

Bwuk

You don’t drop Lampard or Gerrard for Carrick. He’s not in their league. He was competing with Barry but didn’t complement them and to be frank was absolutely useless when given the opportunity.
As a holding midfielder he’s much better than either. England should of played Carrick behind Lampard and Gerrard rather than stick the likes of Heskey upfront with Rooney.

Eugenius

Barry played for City and ahead of Carrick for England....you won’t find many non united fans who think Carrick was anywhere near what some of our fan base think...based on the players he played with.

Who says he was first choice? There were periods where he was benched for Anderson and Cleverly. Periods in most seasons where he was on the bench. He was a good player, he had one great season, but Barry was far more consistent. You knew what you were getting especially in big games. Carrick had mentality issues.

As for passing....no thanks I’d rather watch Scholes, Becks, Keane, Cantona if we’re talking passing. I wouldn’t waste my time watching back over Carrick....there’s been so many better United players than him.
He wasn't first choice? Maybe you should have a look at every major champions league knockout game we played in that period and see who was starting it. What was Barry's champions league pedigree?

All you need to know about that Gareth Barry era for England was we played Emile bleeding Heskey upfront in the World Cup. I guess that means he was the best striker in England at the time.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This thread has taken an unexpected turn :lol:

If you think Barry was a better player than Carrick then I feel for you. Though I will conceed that Carrick never covered himself in glory when playing for England.

This United team is absolutely desperate for a Carrick. Would kick us on levels.

djembatheking

Carrick was better for his club than Barry , but I remember seeing an interview with Carrick where he said that he was never happy when involved with England and was glad in the end when he wasn`t selected cos he didn`t like being away with the international squad and felt he never performed well for his country. I seem to think it was a documentary about Carrick on MUTV when he retired.

thepolice123

Someone like Kovacic or De Jong will be perfect for the team. I like Fred but we definitely need midfielders with more quality on the ball.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why do we keep buying Brazilian midfielders who can't pass or score? Kleberson, Anderson and Fred. Fred is a decent player to have in the squad but he's not underrated.

Ludens the Red

It’s this sort of thinking that ended Rafael Benitez’s time at Liverpool

Green_Red

Yes he was. He was a key player in what could be the best team this club has ever had.
You've gone completely the opposite side of the argument. Whilst Carrick was better than Barry, the team he played in was probably the third best team our club has had, if not the fourth.