Freddy Adu

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Was going through a Benfica message board today and noticed this guy is now on loan in a team from the turkish second division.

Considering the expectations, one of the biggest flops in football history.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Was going through a Benfica message board today and noticed this guy is now on loan in a team from the turkish second division.

Considering the expectations, one of the biggest flops in football history.
WTF has this got to do with Arsenal? :wenger:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Well, he was a young and promising talent once... i think it qualifies as an Arsenal related thread.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
He had a dodgy passport making him seem younger basically.

Best to put in an "allegedly" I guess.
I met him for a couple of times when he was on loan at Belenenses, he was supposed to be 20 then and he really did look much older. Much much older...

AlwaysRedwood

Well, he was a young and promising talent once... i think it qualifies as an Arsenal related thread.
Try a search. He already has his own thread and this loan was discussed there when it happened - in January.

AlwaysRedwood

He had a dodgy passport making him seem younger basically.

Best to put in an "allegedly" I guess.
Yes. It's very difficult for immigration agents in the US to see age differences in children.

Also, most people look to get their child prodigy football kids to the US, it being a powerhouse of footy with a rich history and fantastic coaches.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Taken 2 1/2 years ago when he was barely 19.

19 going on 32.

AlwaysRedwood

Taken 2 1/2 years ago when he was barely 19.

19 going on 32.
So, he when he immigrated, his mother said he was 6 but he was actually 18? Interesting. I guess it's easy for immigration agents and schools to overlook a giant man in their 1st grade class.

:wenger:

cj_sparky

Cherno Samba who was prolific in his early teens, linked with big clubs, touted as the next big thing.... now 26 playing in Greece some where and was not able to live up to the promise. Came to England from Africa is said to be few years older than he is seems there is a trend.....

Adu could well be a few years older than he is meant to be....alot of African National sides have to undergo tests before than play in the u17's etc.

AlwaysRedwood

Cherno Samba who was prolific in his early teens, linked with big clubs, touted as the next big thing.... now 26 playing in Greece some where and was not able to live up to the promise. Came to England from Africa is said to be few years older than he is seems there is a trend.....

Adu could well be a few years older than he is meant to be....alot of African National sides have to undergo tests before than play in the u17's etc.
I guess that would explain why he hasn't been successful ANYWHERE. I mean, he was good in the U-20 World Cup but other than that, pretty shit everywhere, including the MLS. There's a reason Benfica only paid a million for him - because he's never really been good. They only wanted him to sell shirts.

Not so sure why everyone needs a conspiracy theory to prove that a guy who was never successful still isn't successful. He was never anything but hype to sell a new league. End of.

Even if his birth certificate was fudged, it could have only been for a couple of years - which isn't much considering he then went to play as a professional at 14. It's really a retarded theory when analyzed.

mboRa ndomHer0723

I guess that would explain why he hasn't been successful ANYWHERE. I mean, he was good in the U-20 World Cup but other than that, pretty shit everywhere, including the MLS. There's a reason Benfica only paid a million for him - because he's never really been good. They only wanted him to sell shirts.

Not so sure why everyone needs a conspiracy theory to prove that a guy who was never successful still isn't successful. He was never anything but hype to sell a new league. End of.

Even if his birth certificate was fudged, it could have only been for a couple of years - which isn't much considering he then went to play as a professional at 14. It's really a retarded theory when analyzed.
Very true, he never did that great in MLS so why did anyone think he was going to become a force in a better league? I still think he can become a good player but he will obviously never live up to the hype.

In regards to people who say he looks older I am sure everyone has friends that look older than their age. I have a friend who started going bald at 18 and people always thought he was a lot older than 18.

AlwaysRedwood

Very true, he never did that great in MLS so why did anyone think he was going to become a force in a better league? I still think he can become a good player but he will obviously never live up to the hype.

In regards to people who say he looks older I am sure everyone has friends that look older than their age. I have a friend who started going bald at 18 and people always thought he was a lot older than 18.
My friend Mike had a full moustache at 13. He went bald at 25. And I knew him since we were toddlers.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
This guy was suspended from school in England very recently because they suspected he was 24, a passport was produced saying he is 14.

Interval

Level
I see. So in your opinion Africans are so good at football that if they are the right age they will ALWAYS become super stars after early promise?
What? The headline says that alot of these players had a false age proof. Hence it isn't too outlandish for people to suspect a player, who shows early promise and then fades away, to have a false age proof to excel at lower age groups.

I may or may not be a fair thing to assume it for every player but its a fair hypothesis.

Yeah, so...those are Africans, living in Africa.

The discussion here is of an American who immigrated when he was eight to the nation least interested in football in the world, apparently, to play football.

It's genius.

:houllier:
Even a 2 year age gap makes a big difference at u20 levels. It may be a conspiracy theory in THIS case but, I repeat, not outlandish to think so.

AlwaysRedwood

What? The headline says that alot of these players had a false age proof. Hence it isn't too outlandish for people to suspect a player, who shows early promise and then fades away, to have a false age proof to excel at lower age groups.

I may or may not be a fair thing to assume it for every player but its a fair hypothesis.

Even a 2 year age gap makes a big difference at u20 levels. It may be a conspiracy theory in THIS case but, I repeat, not outlandish to think so.
RIGHT. There's no way he could have been a kid whose talent was overblown to pump up a new league in a country that didn't give a shit about football.

No way in hell. What's more plausible is that his mother decided that he would excel in America, a country that didn't give a shit about football, so she told people he was 8 instead of 10. Because obviously, he would then be signed to a contract to play in the overflowing with money coming from MLS, where some players were making a whole 11,000 a year.

Does it happen? Yes. Usually when kids are older, late teens, etc. Does it happen when kids are 10 and their mother wins a lottery to get out of Ghana to live life in America, possibly jeopardizing her new citizenship? No fecking way.

It's so laughable I'm amazed anyone can actually argue for it.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So, he when he immigrated, his mother said he was 6 but he was actually 18? Interesting. I guess it's easy for immigration agents and schools to overlook a giant man in their 1st grade class.

From his Wiki. Everything about it suggests that he is definately older than what his passport suggests.

Adu grew up in the port city of Tema, where he played soccer against men three times his age.[1] When he was eight, his mother won the Green Card Lottery, and his family moved to Rockville, Maryland, United States, where he attended Sequoyah Elementary School. In 2003, he became a U.S. citizen. Soon after arriving in the United States, he was discovered by a local soccer coach and began playing with boys several years older. Adu attended The Heights School, a private school in Potomac, Maryland, for several years.[1] At the age of twelve, Adu helped the Heights School's varsity soccer team win the Maryland state championship in the fall of 2001 in a sudden death penalty kick finish that saw him injured in the last two minutes of play. Adu had skipped two grades, jumping from seventh to ninth, thus qualifying for varsity at such a young age.[citation needed]

While playing with the U.S. Olympic Development Program in an under-14 tournament against the youth squads of such traditionally strong Italian teams as Lazio of Rome and Turin’s Juventus, Freddy’s team won the competition, he led the tournament in scoring, and he was named MVP.[1][2] Adu was noticed by Italian football clubs, including Inter Milan, who discussed a six-figure offer for him that was turned down by his mother on the advice of his agents. He was only ten years old at that time.[citation needed]

At age 12 in January 2002, Adu joined the IMG Soccer Academy, U.S. Soccer's full-time residency program in Bradenton, Florida. He made his professional debut in Major League Soccer in early 2004, at fourteen years of age.

AlwaysRedwood

What makes you think that from the article? Just curious.
Because he was apparently good at a young age and then didn't become mature into a decent player in adulthood. Something that has never, ever happened before.

Oh, and he's African. So, you know, put those two together.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
hate to generalize but false passports seem to be like sweets to Africans

we just got rid of a lad at work after it transpired he had about 6 different identities

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What makes you think that from the article? Just curious.
Adu grew up in the port city of Tema, where he played soccer against men "three times his age".
A little unlikely that a 6 or 7 year old was playing against 18/21 yearolds, no?

Soon after arriving in the United States, he was discovered by a local soccer coach and began playing with boys several years older.
It's very, very rare that a child is so phyically developed that they are happy to play him with players much older. It's not even allowed in England (I can't imagine America are less strict), you are allowed to play in the age group above you as a maximum.

While playing with the U.S. Olympic Development Program in an under-14 tournament against the youth squads of such traditionally strong Italian teams as Lazio of Rome and Turin’s Juventus, Freddy’s team won the competition, he led the tournament in scoring, and he was named MVP. Adu was noticed by Italian football clubs, including Inter Milan, who discussed a six-figure offer for him that was turned down by his mother on the advice of his agents. He was only ten years old at that time.
10 years old compared to 14 years old is a huge difference in terms of Footballing development even if you have an abnormal physique

He made his professional debut in Major League Soccer in early 2004, at fourteen years of age.
14 years old and playing against men? I've not heard of it before or since. The youngest previous to Adu was Gaven who was 16 years old and 2 months, about the same age as Rooney.

AlwaysRedwood

hate to generalize but false passports seem to be like sweets to Africans

we just got rid of a lad at work after it transpired he had about 6 different identities
Wherever their is corruption, poverty and kids looking to get out thru sports, you will have false passports and birth certificates. This is no different than what goes on in Latin American countries for kids trying to play baseball in the states.

Everyone here is just focused on Africa because of a myopic world understanding.