Frenkie de Jong| Off to Barca - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

If Jose got his hands on him then he'd probably still persist with long ball football and every time we lost he say post match to the Sky cameras 'Frenkie was terrified out there and that is the only reason we lost today'

AjaxNL

I was in the Arena yesterday and Frenkie was absolutely insane. His ability to take the ball from defense to attack is something that I’ve never seen before. Convinced him and de Ligt will be amongst the best in their position in two years time. Shame we will definitely lose them after this season, but that’s the faith of a playing in the Eredivisie.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Really hope he doesn't end up at City.

Aloysius's Back 3

I hope he goes to Barca, he can turn into a world class player there.
I personally think that both Barcelona & Madrid are going to settle down being the top 2 big boys now. They both don't play consistently as they used to, definitely with less beauty and are more reliant on the players that had done in with the previous generation rather than anything exciting that's there with their newer generation.

I can see why De Jong would go there due to Ajax's history with Barcelona, type of football etc - but Barcelona themselves are exactly the same possesion football club they were before; atleast not to the same standard - so jumping to them without analysing other options to grow would not be the best move for him in my opinion.

Member 93275

If Jose got his hands on him then he'd probably still persist with long ball football and every time we lost he say post match to the Sky cameras 'Frenkie was terrified out there and that is the only reason we lost today'
He's not the type to get terrified :) For example look at the video below at 0:18, he receives the ball from the back against France, his first full game for the Dutch team. Three world champions are closing in. A normal player would get nervous. You'd expect the player to hoof it forwards. Frenkie is in that special zone of time and space where he knows exactly how the other players are moving and how he can comfortably manipulate them and create the space that was not there, like it's nothing. One can't learn it, one can't unlearn it, this quality is inherent.

RooneyLegend

Get him in, he'd fit any system for any coach. just give them a blank check and ask questions later.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't think he's said anything about leaving yet. Just that he's still happy at Ajax and has more to learn. Very level headed and down to earth kid. Very un-Ajax like actually :p Which isn't that weird since he's from Willem 2's academy.

Champagne Football

Shame he didn't emerge while Blind was still here. We could have given them Blind for free in return for first option on this kid who looks like he'll dominate for many years to come. Himself and Arthur Melo in the middle together for Barcelona is an absolutely petrifying thought for the rest of the football world and they would be every bit as good as Xavi and Iniesta.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Don't think he's said anything about leaving yet. Just that he's still happy at Ajax and has more to learn. Very level headed and down to earth kid. Very un-Ajax like actually :p Which isn't that weird since he's from Willem 2's academy.
Have to admit, he's a fascinating throwback of a player. Actually a joy to watch. I'm very curious to see where his limits lie.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not seen much of him, but what I have seen looks good. He'd be mad to sign for City - he'd barely get a game: who is he going to displace? I'd be very surprised if he signed for us, though. More likely Chelsea (especially i Hazard goes, not that he's a direct replacement) or even Arsenal. But I'd wager he won't come to England unless it's City

Sjaakmeoff

Not seen much of him, but what I have seen looks good. He'd be mad to sign for City - he'd barely get a game: who is he going to displace? I'd be very surprised if he signed for us, though. More likely Chelsea (especially i Hazard goes, not that he's a direct replacement) or even Arsenal. But I'd wager he won't come to England unless it's City
Fernandinho?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He will play wherever he goes.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Disagree that he wouldn’t get a game. He would replace Fernandinho and slot into a young squad that looks like it is set to challenge for a few years. All under a manager that would exactly suit his style of play. I think he’ll end up at Barcelona personally, because when they shout up players listen, but I think City would be a great step for him if he wants to join the PL.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@Sjaakmeoff this is so typical of the klassieker,Feyenoord getting a moronic red card after 5 minutes. They cn honestly fire St Juste for all I care. Congrats on the 3 points.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He would play in Fernandinho's position at City. They might ease him in for the first couple of months, but he'd be first name on the teamsheet by the end of the season.

We should offer Ajax £40m plus Matic. Barca were quoted like £45m for him, so surely they'd accept that.

Sjaakmeoff

He would play in Fernandinho's position at City. They might ease him in for the first couple of months, but he'd be first name on the teamsheet by the end of the season.

We should offer Ajax £40m plus Matic. Barca were quoted like £45m for him, so surely they'd accept that.
For who? De Jong or Matic?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You confused me because Ajax never quoted any amount to anyone. The message was simple; not for sale.
I saw it somewhere in the summer.

Found it. Not sure what the rules are for posting links from tabloid sites are on here, so I'll just quote mark what I saw

According to Barcelona-based journalist Marcelo Bechler, De Jong has confirmed he will not be leaving Ajax this season after the Dutch giants beat Kiev 3-1 on Wednesday night.

“I interviewed De Jong, wanted by Barcelona, at the end of the Ajax game,” Bechler tweeted.

“He said that Barca would be a big step in the career, but that this season will stay in the Netherlands.”

Ajax has put a £44.2m price tag on De Jong’s head in the hope to putting off suitors until next summer.
From the Express in the UK.

Devil may care

He's a wonderful talent, players like him and Arthur at Barca are the type our side sorely lack.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
No matter what anyone writes (be it tabloid or someone with a decent reputation) I really really don't see us selling him for just 50m.
Also the salary of matic is actually many times higher than our wage cap and besides that why on earth should he want to move to the Eredivisie?

Sjaakmeoff

I saw it somewhere in the summer.

Found it. Not sure what the rules are for posting links from tabloid sites are on here, so I'll just quote mark what I saw

From the Express in the UK.
Hmm..not sure how to react to this without being too blunt. But ehm...English tabloids... :rolleyes:

Ok... i said Ajax never quoted anything and that's (still) true. Today VI (Netherlands' leading football magazine and very trustworthy) is reporting Ajax received an offer of 70mio euros for him. No mention of which club made the offer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No matter what anyone writes (be it tabloid or someone with a decent reputation) I really really don't see us selling him for just 50m.
Also the salary of matic is actually many times higher than our wage cap and besides that why on earth should he want to move to the Eredivisie?
How much do you think Ajax will want for him?

Member 93275

I guess they won't sell in January unless loaned back until the end of the season. And Frenkie might surprise by just wanting to stay and develop at Ajax another year, who knows. But Overmars is probably dreaming about 80m euro at least right now, and then settle for 65 or 70 plus options. Man of the match against Feyenoord last game, while they set up their team to try to deal with the "Frenky problem". He isn't going to get cheaper. He is taking that extra step in his career now, as teams are now trying to find the answer and make him disappear from the game, like France, Benfica and Feyenoord, and he provides the answer. He's doing what Özil is criticized so often to do not in the big games.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
How much do you think Ajax will want for him?
It's hard to say to be honest. Numbers are so different from what they were just a few years ago.
Anyway what's important here is that the club doesn't want to sell and doesn't really need money. On top of that frenkie is not the only player who clubs are interested in. We will receive major offers for de Ligt for sure. Ziyech is still expected to leave and there are rumours about other players as well. If we sell de Ligt and Ziyech for example that could easily catch an amount not too far of a 100m. If that happens even crazy offers might not be enough to make us sell de Jong.

Status
Not open for further replies.