Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yep, as I said, there was a time when we were king of the hill in England. If a big stat was coming to England, it was United first and foremost. Now I don’t think we have any right to that position, but we worked hard to get there. A century of history and legacy. We’ve thrown it away to the point where City, Chelsea, Liverpool are all bigger draws than us, and we are competing in the same pool as Spurs and Arsenal for talent. We are somewhat wedged between the two.

Yeah the money was always going to talk with the plastic clubs, but United had that magic draw to it still. But those days are gone. The isn’t only living in distant memories, it’s not showing any signs of promise. We’ve only managed to keep pace on transfers by over paying both in fees and wages. Rewarding mediocrity on a mind boggling scale.

What this summer needed was sensible squad building, eschewing the policy of paying big fees for big players that either didn’t really want to be here, or were past their best. But we haven’t really done that. There have been no examples of superb scouting, unearthing gems or top up and coming talent. We’ve signed Martinez, Eriksen and Malacia, who I think are all good signings, but we’ve not made our squad much better, and we’ve failed to address the biggest gaps. What concerns me is that we now seem to be panicking, and I didn’t expect that from the new regime. The desperate pursuit of Arnautovich was truly hamfisted, only to pull out a couple of days later.

Players like Mazroui and Gravenberch should’ve been recruited months ago, and would’ve addressed two huge holes. The De Jong pursuit is shambolic. If we were moving for Sesko, it should’ve happened two months ago for example.
Most of the recruitment should have been done a year or at least 6 months ago. But unfortunately, the timing of things -- ETH having only been there for less than 3 months and the sacking of the key recruitment executives, its the perfect storm.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Sadly, I can see Di Maria vibes with this one…

On the other hand I still believe he’s coming!

Tweek

Forget the benchmark. If we brought in Lewandowski, Raphinha and were still trying to squeeze in Bernardo the entire caf would be fellating whoever was in charge.
This is ridiculous. With no context, you're probably right, but most sane fans wouldn't gamble the future of the club on a handful of transfers and a shot at trophies over the next couple of years in the way that Barca have. Their house of cards is so precarious that any number of social or economic bumps could bring the whole thing down. They should be dealing with their financial mess and all the covid fallout rather than funding shell companies to buy their own TV rights in a (botched) attempt to artificially inflate their wage bill so that they can sign players that, apparently, the fanbase demands every year or else... like I said, ridiculous.

Edwards6

I've said it all along that this can't be just because of the deferred wage issue. There's got to be a major reluctance on de Jong side to join us. We simply got played by de Jong and his agent. I think we did whatever we could to strike a deal with Barcelona. And if Frenkie want to pursue his deferred wages but wanted to join us, we'd hear about that from reliable journalist. We'd also would hear about how Frenkie and Barca would try to resolve the situation. And resolving the situation was also in Barca best interest because they needed the money and de Jong wage off the books. So the only one who's actually holding the deal was Frenkie himself.
He wanted to go to a CL club and was stringing us all along as his backup plan in case no CL club comes for him.
Once Chelsea wanted to come for him, the leaks in the media is different than the ones leaked about us. Suddenly he'd consider joining Chelsea because of the CL club.
The stupidity in our part was allowing to get played like this. I think ten Hag is really naive in his recruiting strategy, which would make sense as Overmars was the one orchestrating most of the recruitments. I get United wanted to support their manager, but at some point many weeks ago, they should pull the plug because it was clear that he didn't want to join us and only use us as a last resort. And it's illogical to think that United was the only one coming for him the longer this drags on
Don't you think De Jong would of told Ten Hag if he's got not intention of coming here? He doesn't need a last resort if he's staying at Barca irrespective of the deferred wages

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
@simonhch could we interest you to buy :cool: ?
Funnily enough I actually know one guy with enough to pull this deal off. He’d likely go in with another couple of high net worth guys and I jokingly brought it up with him the other day but he reckons the Glazers want 5bn for it and he doesn’t reckon it’s worth more than 3.5. He’s never actually a serious party for such an asset, but there are a lot of groups out there with the means to pull it off. It’s just all about pricing.

In all seriousness, there are enough consortiums and funds out there to pull this deal off easily if the Glazers are actually willing to sell. People mistakenly think it need to be one individual, but it probably won’t be. It’ll be a consortium, and right now the glazers are simultaneously pricing it out of the market and running it into the ground.

I worked closely with a guy a couple of years ago who was pretty close to a couple of the Glazers, and we talked United a fair bit. His impression was that they were waiting for a continental super league, the expansion of mobile content rights, especially in China and the rest of Asia, and tighter salary cap controls (that they hoped a super league would bring), to maximise value before a potential sale.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Funnily enough I actually know one guy with enough to pull this deal off. He’d likely go in with another couple of high net worth guys and I jokingly brought it up with him the other day but he reckons the Glazers want 5bn for it and he doesn’t reckon it’s worth more than 3.5.

In all seriousness, there are enough consortiums and funds out there to pull this deal off easily if the Glazers are actually willing to sell. People mistakenly think it need to be one individual, but it probably won’t be. It’ll be a consortium, and right now the glazers are simultaneously pricing it out of the market and running it into the ground.
This is of course topic for another thread, but I'm sceptical if a consortium would lead us to a better place. End of the day, it's an investment for them as well, and they would want some form of profit from it. One could of course hope that they structure the club with better/more experienced/more gifted people in the field of running a football club

Dr. StrangeHate

This is of course topic for another thread, but I'm sceptical if a consortium would lead us to a better place. End of the day, it's an investment for them as well, and they would want some form of profit from it. One could of course hope that they structure the club with better/more experienced/more gifted people in the field of running a football club
Chelsea new owner came in and is going to spend more money than any club in the history of the sport. Surprisingly the government facilitated an excellent choice.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Chelsea new owner came in and is going to spend more money than any club in the history of the sport. Surprisingly the government facilitated an excellent choice.
RA being kicked out of the country and the club is an entirely different buying environment than the Glazers selling up, though

GinobiliTheGOAT

❗Frenkie de Jong is committed to continuing at Barcelona until 2026 despite the club denouncing his current contract.

• His agent has put the matter in the hands of lawyers, AFE, FIFPRO and La Liga.

• The player is disappointed. #FCB

• FdJ does not only wants to stay but believes that Barça are extorting the matter so that the players reduce their salaries.

❗de Jong's lawyers are analysing in detail the steps which the club has taken to put pressure on him from the beginning and informed this to AFE, FIFPRO and La Liga - who back in 2020 validated the contract.

• de Jong believes that he is a victim of a campaign against his image from his own club, something inconceivable for him, but he does not want to give in. He was first placed on the market and now Barça are trying to lower his salary.

❗de Jong's entourage says that there is 0.0% chance that he considers to renegotiate his current contract which Barça consider completely out of the market.

• His salary more than doubles in the coming seasons after lowering it in 2020-21. #FCB

Despite the contractual conflict with the club, de Jong's entourage says that he is mentally very strong and very positive for the coming season. He wants to help the team and win trophies. His relationship with Xavi is very good.

• Waiting to see how things unfold, de Jong is now solely focused on the game vs Rayo.

• His agents, for now, also prefer to remain silent, aware that any statement at this time, more than helping the player, could go against him. #FCB

Via (): @RogerTorello [md]

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
❗Frenkie de Jong is committed to continuing at Barcelona until 2026 despite the club denouncing his current contract.

• His agent has put the matter in the hands of lawyers, AFE, FIFPRO and La Liga.

• FdJ does not only wants to stay but believes that Barça are extorting the matter so that the players reduce their salaries.

❗de Jong's lawyers are analysing in detail the steps which the club has taken to put pressure on him from the beginning and informed this to AFE, FIFPRO and La Liga - who back in 2020 validated the contract.

• de Jong believes that he is a victim of a campaign against his image from his own club, something inconceivable for him, but he does not want to give in. He was first placed on the market and now Barça are trying to lower his salary.

❗de Jong's entourage says that there is 0.0% chance that he considers to renegotiate his current contract which Barça consider completely out of the market.

• His salary more than doubles in the coming seasons after lowering it in 2020-21. #FCB

Despite the contractual conflict with the club, de Jong's entourage says that he is mentally very strong and very positive for the coming season. He wants to help the team and win trophies. His relationship with Xavi is very good.

• Waiting to see how things unfold, de Jong is now solely focused on the game vs Rayo.

• His agents, for now, also prefer to remain silent, aware that any statement at this time, more than helping the player, could go against him. #FCB

If all of this is true, his sole love and motivation for staying at Barca is for financial reasons. Which of course he's absolutely entitled to feel like

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I cannot blame him. You don't bend over and let your employers feck you.
Barcelona are a disgusting club.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
I hope we go all out for Savic/Neves/Diaz.

Let this guy rot playing CB for his bestie Xavi.

Plot twist (not really a plot twist since it’s obvious): He is not going to get a dime from Barcelona.

SER19

If all of this is true, his sole love and motivation for staying at Barca is for financial reasons. Which of course he's absolutely entitled to feel like
Ya, inconceivable that he'd want to stay there after being treated like that. But understandable to a degree to insist on staying until you get what you're owed

The Purley King

Fair play to him if this is the case.
He signed a contract and now Barca are trying to weasel out of it using their full repertoire of dirty tricks.
I hope he takes them to the cleaners.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Ya, inconceivable that he'd want to stay there after being treated like that. But understandable to a degree to insist on staying until you get what you're owed
Yeah absolutely. Can't wrap my head around any other motivation than money if he's tasking his lawyers with checking possible steps over Barcelona's conduct but at the same time being adamant of wanting to continue there.

Which is really fair enough, they owe him

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I mean despite being a financial shit show, Barca have signed Lewandowski, Raphinha, Kounde, Kessie and various others. Compare that to our window.
Let’s see if they can register them first

secondly in order to make those signing they’ve had to activate loans and sell otf bits of their future income . They’ve put their future as a club at risk

Sir Hag de Ten

Now that’s the type of update I’d be interested to read. From outside, you can see there’s a systemic approach being used by de Jong and his entourage to negotiate his pay. Note that this doesn’t mention any move away from the club but this is intentional in order to protect his position. Obviously the player is interested in moving to another club, but that’ll be sorted after getting what he’s due. This may not be the news we want to read but its more reasonable than some of the rubbish being spouted on twitter.

mikeyt

I get the principle behind not letting yourself get shafted but anyone who is willing to stay at that club is a mug and frankly I wouldn't want a personality like that. How anyone can have their name raked through the mud, told to reduce their salary, despite throwing £200million at other players amongst all the other crap and still want to stay is beyond me.

I hope this club goes bankrupt, is forced to sell all of their assets and start again ala Rangers in Scotland. They deserve nothing less.

Nights

Let’s see if they can register them first

secondly in order to make those signing they’ve had to activate loans and sell otf bits of their future income . They’ve put their future as a club at risk
This exactly. People talking about how great Barca’s window has been ignore the reality that they’re doing it by risking the financial future of the club. Not to mention being non compliant with known La Liga rules to the point where they can’t even register their players. And that’s not even taking into account the dirty tactics they’ve used to try and force players to take pay cuts and dishonour existing contracts.

They’re playing real life Football manager with the sliders for club finances turned all the way up. Hope Laporta realises he can’t just reload the game if it goes sour.

phelans shorts

I get the principle behind not letting yourself get shafted but anyone who is willing to stay at that club is a mug and frankly I wouldn't want a personality like that. How anyone can have their name raked through the mud, told to reduce their salary, despite throwing £200million at other players amongst all the other crap and still want to stay is beyond me.

I hope this club goes bankrupt, is forced to sell all of their assets and start again ala Rangers in Scotland. They deserve nothing less.
You’re taking the “still want to stay” at face value and not as a negotiating plot. If he says “right I’ll go then” Barcelona get to know a few million off the inevitable settlement, which would be very dumb of him.

I would be doing absolutely the same as him in that situation.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I mean despite being a financial shit show, Barca have signed Lewandowski, Raphinha, Kounde, Kessie and various others. Compare that to our window.
Yes, I wish we were like Barcelona, selling off most of their rights or assets and whatever, being on the brink of financial turmoil and possible folding. Let’s forget about all that because they got plenty of shiny new toys.

Think I’d much rather stick with the United we got if that’s the alternative.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I hope we go all out for Savic/Neves/Diaz.

Let this guy rot playing CB for his bestie Xavi.

Plot twist (not really a plot twist since it’s obvious): He is not going to get a dime from Barcelona.
I imagine he will, since they gave him a contract

RoyH1

I'm not sure they can register all of them and their salaries unless they sell another asset or future earning (stop going along with the Barsa Pr machine's calling them "palancas" or levers).

Frenkie must really love that Mediterranean lifestyle.

Farmershawn

my last time following a transfer thread so closely was for Arturo Vidal, where i think 'done dealio' was coined. I told myself never again .... but here I am ...

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Because by staying he’s fecking them up.

FDJ will have takers once the case is settled, Laporta won’t survive this if they end up not being able to register their new signings and get taken to the cleaners by FDJ in court.

RoyH1

I'd love it if deJong stayed in Barcelona and right after the registrering window closed posted a Floyd Mayweather style social media bit of news. I'm talking private plane in a bathtub filled with 100 euro notes, kind of post.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Your understanding of contracts is as good as Laporta :lol:
Probably.
But in this corrupt world, I’m absolutely sure that they’ll find a loophole and not pay him.

Best case scenario for feckme Dejong is to grab the Chelsea offer since they’re willing to pay him the owed wages from Barka.

Don’t want him here after all the drama. He is not the last good midfielder in the world.

sewey89

You'd think so, but in this case you wouldn't bet on it :lol:
:lol: fair. I think this is going to get really messy. He appears to be flat out refusing to leave and/or reduce his wages. This could end with him being taken to court and potentially leaving on a free I think

mctrials23

I can kind of understand his position. The fans like him, Xavi likes him, he likes playing for Barca and him and his fiance like the lifestyle there. Hes also getting paid silly money for all of the aforementioned things.

The only gripe he has is that the president is trying to sell him and get him to take a pay cut... which he doesn't have to do. Your boss can be as much of a cnut as he liked but unless he actually has the power to make your life miserable then who cares if he wants you gone. He contractually owes you a lot of money and would be mad to try and punish you for not leaving or taking a pay cut as that would be a very expensive petulant response.

I fear this ones dead in the water and we should get clarification from all sides and move on if it doesn't look good.

Frenkie will still be there next year and if we get some good players in this summer we should be able to offer CL football next year.

That being said, who knows what is actually happening. Perhaps behind the scenes we are still getting positive signals from Frenkie and Barca and they are still just wrangling over money. First game of the season for Barca should be interesting. Not long to wait.

sewey89

Probably.
But in this corrupt world, I’m absolutely sure that they’ll find a loophole and not pay him.

Best case scenario for feckme Dejong is to grab the Chelsea offer since they’re willing to pay him the owed wages from Barka.

Don’t want him here after all the drama. He is not the last good midfielder in the world.
Bizarre take that. He's being fecked over by his current club, he's said NOTHING disrespectful about United, in fact, he's said nothing at all. But you don't want him here because of what Barca are doing? Let him get that sorted and then he can come when Erik's got us back in the CL next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.