Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookedOnAPhelan

If you're not with us you're against us you absolute cnut.

but if ten hag still wants you this summer please join us mate

JustinC00

Wild that he gave up seasons of pay to stay at Barca to avoid Europa with us only to end up in Europa and knocked out by us.

Life is funny and cruel.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Let's confiscate his passport as he leaves OT so he has no choice but to remain.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wild that he gave up seasons of pay to stay at Barca to avoid Europa with us only to end up in Europa and knocked out by us.

Life is funny and cruel.
Can only be one winner of the De Jong Derby.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
He's wank this fella. Fred all day :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Literally his only asset is to drive with the ball forward when he's got time and space. He had only on one occassion and that's definitely not good enough for a top club we are again aspiring to be. Understand the profile of the player but he lacks any kind of intensite and advanced passing skill. Not sure why are people creaming about him, he's only a decent short passer but Spanish league is played in very different tempo.

Remember when Andreas Pereira played like prime Scholes in one of the (or two!) preseasons and cup games..and he wasn't even suited to that role.
He's a ball carrier and that's what we'd need him for. Pereira - like Fred (and to a lesser extent Bruno) was a calamity when he picked up the ball under pressure deep from the GK or defenders. Frenkie is about as press resistant as you can be. If you want that and a great passer you're looking at the best midfielder in the world for the last 10 years, Modric.

With a midfielder who is press resistant and can carry the ball quickly we'd have a new dimension, as we can't really play fast through the middle as is.

I do hope we have some obscure players on our radar though, he might just finish out his Barca contract.

tjb

I really don't want him. Not because I don't think he's good, but because I can see how limited he may be on certain occasions. For a midfielder at that price, you want someone who will give you the consistent quality Casemiro, Varane and Martinez give you, where come rain or shine you know they will perform. An attacker can get away with degrees of inconsistency, but imo not a midfielder. I don't love his physicality and I'm not quite convinced on an inevitability of him controlling a game. Would he be a good signing, sure. But I also think given our current system and the league we play in, we can find a midfielder who is better suited at a cheaper cost.

For me, I would actually be looking at a midfielder who is quite good defensively, but can also pass and receive the ball well. This doesn't have to be a playmaker. For me I'd actually like a Viera or Essien type of midfielder. Where energy and strength are offered, but they also have some quality on the ball and can easily fill in at DM. That would make our midfield far more dynamic than getting a playmaker like De Jong imo.

Marcus

Life is funny and cruel.
Oh the irony. :D But in the end, it was in truth probably more because he gave in to the wishes of his missus. Next time she is asked, she will not know when Frankie will be back in Manchester, or will she ...

Ondrej

So glad we got Casemiro instead. About to become a legend for us. Also get Bellingham instead of this guy next.

Abraxas

I really don't want him. Not because I don't think he's good, but because I can see how limited he may be on certain occasions. For a midfielder at that price, you want someone who will give you the consistent quality Casemiro, Varane and Martinez give you, where come rain or shine you know they will perform. An attacker can get away with degrees of inconsistency, but imo not a midfielder. I don't love his physicality and I'm not quite convinced on an inevitability of him controlling a game. Would he be a good signing, sure. But I also think given our current system and the league we play in, we can find a midfielder who is better suited at a cheaper cost.

For me, I would actually be looking at a midfielder who is quite good defensively, but can also pass and receive the ball well. This doesn't have to be a playmaker. For me I'd actually like a Viera or Essien type of midfielder. Where energy and strength are offered, but they also have some quality on the ball and can easily fill in at DM. That would make our midfield far more dynamic than getting a playmaker like De Jong imo.
I tend to agree. I really struggle to visualise Frenkie De Jong playing here week in week out at the intensity of our league and being consistently brilliant. I think he'll be good in spurts. Here and there. No doubt he's top class technically. I don't see a guy that's going to come in, be a dominant force, performing all the time. Physically and personality wise, I don't see that type of figure. When has he ever done that? At Ajax maybe, but that's a completely different level. At Barca he's certainly not that, I don't see him being that here.

He can bring qualities, yes - but is it really worth the outlay? I have some doubts. But if ETH says he'll be a difference maker, well, it's hard to doubt him I suppose.

Bobski

Is he even better than a fit(so mythical) Mateo Kovacic?

Nice pirouettes on a ball and good surge with it, but more of a continuity passer than creative and I don't see the aggression or intensity in his game that you would wish for in the PL.

Godfather

Thought he was actually decent today. Absolutely loved how Bruno belted the ball in his tummy though.

Kaos

“Spent hours on this thread waiting for you to join us you bastard”

Bruno was all of us at that moment :lol:

I don't know whether to admire his loyalty to a club that treats him like a disposable piece of meat, or be embarrassed for his ****-like obsession with staying there.

Classy player nonetheless, I'd still want him at United providing Erik still does, and of course he's not moving here kicking and screaming.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He had a good game and you can see why Ten Hag is desperate for him. Everytime he got the ball, Barca pushed 30/40 meters ahead.

criticalanalysis

When he needs to step up, he wilts instead.

He's performing well until the game intensifies and everyone goes into hyper mode. Hype mode used to be his arena, and it just isn't anymore; it's just too many games it happens in.

I don't have particular qualms about him coming here, but I don't think he's the player you can put any stock in when the going gets [really] tough. He wants no part of that smoke at precisely the time he should be dominating play.
Based on his performances for Barca, I'd agree but I do think it's an environment thing as well. The teams he has played for the past few years just don't have that intensity and fight. Dominating La Liga teams as a big bully is not character building or beneficial to his growth as a player.

If he was paired with Casemiro and Bruno, in front of Martinez and Varane with Fred nipping at his heels figuratively speaking off the bench AND playing under ETH, I'm sure he would raise his game many folds.

The issue is, can he turn it on when he's basically been playing 60-80% for most of his time there. Such an intriguing player with elite ability but with massive financial cost and obvious flaws too.

Erik the Red

In all fairness Fred played like a prime Seedorf today. Or Zidane. Or insert whatever b2b legend there. Amazing game.
Fred played like a man playing for his job. He knows that if we sign FDJ, he is likely to be the one that is let go.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I thought he was very good today, considering we're fecking massive, to actually stand out was impressive.

He would compliment out midfield superbly well.

Erik the Red

It seems clear as day it wasnt a "De Jong or Casemiro" choice. They'd be dynamite together.
It seems clear as day it wasnt a "De Jong or Casemiro" choice. They'd be dynamite together.
It could be that it was a financial choice between the two. We probably couldn't have afforded both FDJ and Casemiro, and we would have got a cheap CDM alongside FDJ, just like we got Eriksen for free alongside Casemiro. The first choice was probably FDJ and the cheap CDM, but when it became clear that was not progressing, we switched to Casemiro and Eriksen. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought in FDJ this summer, maybe alongside a Casemiro back-up.

croadyman

It could be that it was a financial choice between the two. We probably couldn't have afforded both FDJ and Casemiro, and we would have got a cheap CDM alongside FDJ, just like we got Eriksen for free alongside Casemiro. The first choice was probably FDJ and the cheap CDM, but when it became clear that was not progressing, we switched to Casemiro and Eriksen. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought in FDJ this summer, maybe alongside a Casemiro back-up.
I would like that to happen but his arm still can't be twisted by the looks of things

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Based on his performances for Barca, I'd agree but I do think it's an environment thing as well. The teams he has played for the past few years just don't have that intensity and fight. Dominating La Liga teams as a big bully is not character building or beneficial to his growth as a player.

If he was paired with Casemiro and Bruno, in front of Martinez and Varane with Fred nipping at his heels figuratively speaking off the bench AND playing under ETH, I'm sure he would raise his game many folds.

The issue is, can he turn it on when he's basically been playing 60-80% for most of his time there. Such an intriguing player with elite ability but with massive financial cost and obvious flaws too.
I am droning on about the sticking point of asking where the hell his Ajax spirit and persona has gone. The first bolded, I agree with, in essence, but why doesn't he have that drive and character within himself? Was that ten Hag imbuing him, or has he lost it (or at least had it lay dormant so long he has no idea how to summon it anymore)?

I'd believe it's the environment if he wasn't exactly the same for his NT. Simply sublime when everything is going his teams' way, but when it's time to roll the sleeves up and take the reins, he is nowhere to be seen (anymore).

My scrutiny is less, under the assumption we'll soon be Qatari-owned, but if we're not, and he's supposed to be a massive portion of our budget, I'd be concerned about his apparently listless spirit and drive.

If we have money to burn, then sure, part of the rotation whilst taking the 'risk' he has it about him to step up - even if he didn't then, you're in a City-like indifference as (if) he gets benched.

Irwin99

Is he even better than a fit(so mythical) Mateo Kovacic?

Nice pirouettes on a ball and good surge with it, but more of a continuity passer than creative and I don't see the aggression or intensity in his game that you would wish for in the PL.
Think he created that headed chance that was saved by De Gea with a lovely pass but it might have been someone else, can't remember.

I think of him as doing almost the same role as Eriksen was earlier in the season but with more pace and power to his game. Whether he'd adapt to England and whether his heart would be in it is another question.

croadyman

Think he created that headed chance that was saved by De Gea with a lovely pass but it might have been someone else, can't remember.

I think of him as doing almost the same role as Eriksen was earlier in the season but with more pace and power to his game. Whether he'd adapt to England and whether his heart would be in it is another question.
Yeah it was him that put it on head,however his heart being in it is more of a worry than the adaptation. We do not want yet another Di Maria situation again

Irwin99

Yeah it was him that put it on head,however his heart being in it is more of a worry than the adaptation. We do not want yet another Di Maria again
Thought it was. He played almost the exact same pass for an assist for the Netherlands at the World Cup.

People wouldn't exactly cry if we decided to give up on this move but i can see why EtH would want him as an upgrade on Eriksen (who's been class to be fair)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Fred is his nemesis isn't he? Frenkie was the one near Fred to stop his shot as well.

croadyman

Thought it was. He played almost the exact same pass for an assist for the Netherlands at the World Cup.

People wouldn't exactly cry if we decided to give up on this move but i can see why EtH would want him as an upgrade on Eriksen (who's been class to be fair)
Would be great to get a Bennacer/Barella as still think De Jong pines for Barca. My worry about blowing it on Bellingham is not having anything for a striker which team needs

Erik the Red

I would like that to happen but his arm still can't be twisted by the looks of things
Yeah it was him that put it on head,however his heart being in it is more of a worry than the adaptation. We do not want yet another Di Maria situation again
Call me naive, but I still think the main reason he stayed at Barcelona was that he didnt want to give up the wages he was owed, and to be fair, none of us would be prepared to do that.

Fortunately, the owed wages are being paid back over time, so the money owed is reducing. Also, his contract is running down, so his transfer value is falling. These factors should mean it is easier to get the email over the line this summer than last. Just have to convince his missus that he will be back in Manchester in August.

croadyman

Call me naive, but I still think the main reason he stayed at Barcelona was that he didnt want to give up the wages he was owed, and to be fair, none of us would be prepared to do that.

Fortunately, the owed wages are being paid back over time, so the money owed is reducing. Also, his contract is running down, so his transfer value is falling. These factors should mean it is easier to get the email over the line this summer than last. Just have to convince his missus that he will be back in Manchester in August.
Yeah fully expecting post from Mikky along the lines of that's only time Frenkie plays in Manchester to piss on our chips

Status
Not open for further replies.