Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

To be fair to him, I can see why Ten Hag wants him - guy unlocked us a couple times

Suspicious Swelling

I am quite surprised so many of you would still take him... He's clearly a mercenary who didn't want to be here. He'd be another Pogba in that regard. We need players that want to play for us not ones that dont, thats why ETH got rid of those types. FDJ has missed his chance, & didn't want the challenge when we werent in a great position at the start of the season, that type of player will go missing when it counts. Take the 100 million (which he clearly isn't worth) elsewhere.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He was very good tonight even with Fred doing a good job on him.

Casemiro - De Jong

Antony Bruno Rashford

Kane/Oshimen

That would be amazing

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I am quite surprised so many of you would still take him... He's clearly a mercenary who didn't want to be here. He'd be another Pogba in that regard. We need players that want to play for us not ones that dont, thats why ETH got rid of those types. FDJ has missed his chance, & didn't want the challenge when we werent in a great position at the start of the season, that type of player will go missing when it counts. Take the 100 million (which he clearly isn't worth) elsewhere.
If he was a mercenary wouldn’t he have gone to the club who could actually pay his wages? He wanted to stay at his dream club, and there’s the small matter of them owing him 17m.

croadyman

Call me naive, but I still think the main reason he stayed at Barcelona was that he didnt want to give up the wages he was owed, and to be fair, none of us would be prepared to do that.

Fortunately, the owed wages are being paid back over time, so the money owed is reducing. Also, his contract is running down, so his transfer value is falling. These factors should mean it is easier to get the email over the line this summer than last. Just have to convince his missus that he will be back in Manchester in August.
Well reliable journos kept saying not being in Champions League played a part,now it looks like we will be so what excuse he uses

Kaos

Well reliable journos kept saying not being in Champions League played a part,now it looks like we will be so what excuse he uses
Let's be honest, its the sunshine and the fact his missus doesn't want to move here, All this talk about playing in the CL is a red herring considering Barca were just as likely as we were to win it this season.

croadyman

He was very good tonight even with Fred doing a good job on him.

Casemiro - De Jong

Antony Bruno Rashford

Kane/Oshimen

That would be amazing
Yeah looks tasty to say the least with Eriksen to call on later in games as well

croadyman

Let's be honest, its the sunshine and the fact his missus doesn't want to move here, All this talk about playing in the CL is a red herring considering Barca were just as likely as we were to win it this season.
Yeah will never win her over,in regards to the weather can't imagine Amsterdam was sunny all the time so that's a cheap get out

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
FREDgar Davids!
just missing the "sunglasses" :lol:

As for Frankie one of the overrated players out there missing the elite mentality. it's a question of if ETH could get him with the intensity and dedication but I would rather not risk that. It's not like he's got really uniques skillset. He's pretty basic passer with a good turn on him and dribble in tight space. Finding someone like Casemiro will be more difficult, or a ball playing CDM who can defend. De Jong is just not a 6 and not dynamic enough to play as a no8 in Prem now. Massively overpriced too..

Barella like others mentioned would be my favourite player to get, has all the tools to play for ETH side.

criticalanalysis

I am droning on about the sticking point of asking where the hell his Ajax spirit and persona has gone. The first bolded, I agree with, in essence, but why doesn't he have that drive and character within himself? Was that ten Hag imbuing him, or has he lost it (or at least had it lay dormant so long he has no idea how to summon it anymore)?

I'd believe it's the environment if he wasn't exactly the same for his NT. Simply sublime when everything is going his teams' way, but when it's time to roll the sleeves up and take the reins, he is nowhere to be seen (anymore).

My scrutiny is less, under the assumption we'll soon be Qatari-owned, but if we're not, and he's supposed to be a massive portion of our budget, I'd be concerned about his apparently listless spirit and drive.

If we have money to burn, then sure, part of the rotation whilst taking the 'risk' he has it about him to step up - even if he didn't then, you're in a City-like indifference as (if) he gets benched.
I think his inner fire is dormant and our team is almost a perfect sporting platform for his talents if he truly seeks it. Going by other accounts of people, who follow his game closely, he's never the type to take a game by the scruff of the neck by sheer will/determination so I wouldn't expect too much from him in that sense. However, looking at our current team, if a player did join the squad and not improve their mentality, you'd have to lost the love of the game to not be inspired or raise their levels.

Kaos

Yeah will never win her over,in regards to the weather can't imagine Amsterdam was sunny all the time so that's a cheap get out
Yeah but looking at it from the perspective of the missus and her priorities (ergo their priorities), Amsterdam is home, and Barca is probably the best place away from home for a top level footballer. We all love Manchester, but sadly it doesn't compare to the sunshine and beaches of Barcelona for the instagram crowd.

croadyman

As for Frankie one of the overrated players out there missing the elite mentality. it's a question of if ETH could get him with the intensity and dedication but I would rather not risk that. It's not like he's got really uniques skillset. He's pretty basic passer with a good turn on him and dribble in tight space. Finding someone like Casemiro will be more difficult, or a ball playing CDM who can defend. De Jong is just not a 6 and not dynamic enough to play as a no8 in Prem now. Massively overpriced too..

Barella like others mentioned would be my favourite player to get, has all the tools to play for ETH side.
Yeah like I said in earlier post Bellingham is type of player you go for if only hole in team. Someone like a Barella/Caqueret means we have money for a Kane too

Suspicious Swelling

If he was a mercenary wouldn’t he have gone to the club who could actually pay his wages? He wanted to stay at his dream club, and there’s the small matter of them owing him 17m.
He wouldn't have known that they were in such a dire financial situation when he signed though would he. I doubt in the interview process the bosses at Barca would have told him "come play for us but we can't pay you" they would have lied to him wouldn't they. Besides if he is legally owed that money then he would have held all the cards and could have left for us or another club and taken Barcelona to court.

Ireespective of this, he didn't want to come to us because we were in the mud at the time and didn't fancy the challenge of being the main man to try and get us back to where we should be, if he really wanted to he could have. I don't want players like that, we've had too many in recent years.

croadyman

Yeah but looking at it from the perspective of the missus and her priorities (ergo their priorities), Amsterdam is home, and Barca is probably the best place away from home for a top level footballer. We all love Manchester, but sadly it doesn't compare to the sunshine and beaches of Barcelona for the instagram crowd.
Yeah so true she should have come over too and actually given herself a feel for the city

croadyman

He wouldn't have known that they were in such a dire financial situation when he signed though would he. I doubt in the interview process the bosses at Barca would have told him "come play for us but we can't pay you" they would have lied to him wouldn't they. Besides if he is legally owed that money then he would have held all the cards and could have left for us or another club and taken Barcelona to court.

Ireespective of this, he didn't want to come to us because we were in the mud at the time and didn't fancy the challenge of being the main man to try and get us back to where we should be, if he really wanted to he could have. I don't want players like that, we've had too many in recent years.
Yeah compare his mentality to Casa's who couldn't wait to get here and sort it out

Kaos

Yeah so true she should have come over too and actually given herself a feel for the city
It shouldn't even come to that. Right now she's enjoying the good life because her partner is an elite footballer earning stupid bucks. She'll either be happy for anywhere he wants to go for the sake of his career (like you know, somewhere that doesn't publicly humiliate him and insist he takes a paycut or leaves despite his contractual obligation), or she's welcome to leave him and get off the gravy train. Manchester is hardly some Siberian gulag.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
One of those where I can see what he'll bring, and why Ten Hag wants him - and I'd trust him if he genuinely thinks he'll be the missing piece - but if I didn't know who he was beforehand, he'd have done nothing to make me want him off these games. Fred is probably our 3rd choice partner for Cas after Eriksen and Sabitzer (who I assume is being weened in like Cas was) and yet if you'd been living in a cave for the last 2 years, you'd presume he was easily the better player based on this tie.

But then I'm a goon who posts on a forum and cuts his own hair.

ti vu

You almost described his unique skillset. He's not just a good turn. His turn is elite which works against any kind opposition and in any kind of situation (whether his team is being pinned back and under pressure, or when they dominate).

Barcelona doesn't have great threat from the wings, nor they're great at fast counter attack. Their main attackers can't beat our defenders in term of speed. Their other players tend to be drawn toward the ball, instead of stretching play. There is very little room for fancy passing in their style until they get to the final third and have numbers to combine. It's the style of play.

Casemiro had to play within himself in some aspect at Real Madrid for different reason. Now you see he expresses himself with more freedom, showcasing the underrated part of his game.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he cant see this United side fits him better than Barca, who wanted to get rid of him anyway then he is a massive idiot.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He played well first half but second half he was invisible. Fred ran him ragged.

Decent player but still don't see where the hype is with him regarding 100m fees. He's nowhere near worth that. I'd much rather sign Bellingham for that type of money.

croadyman

You almost described his unique skillset. He's not just a good turn. His turn is elite which works against any kind opposition and in any kind of situation (whether his team is being pinned back and under pressure, or when they dominate).

Barcelona doesn't have great threat from the wings, nor they're great at fast counter attack. Their main attackers can't beat our defenders in term of speed. Their other players tend to be drawn toward the ball, instead of stretching play. There is very little room for fancy passing in their style until they get to the final third and have numbers to combine. It's the style of play.

Casemiro had to play within himself in some aspect at Real Madrid for different reason. Now you see he expresses himself with more freedom in underrated part of his game.
Yeah his unique skillset is really frustrating because hasn't the desire to come here. So may have to find a different profile of CM

Kaos

He played well first half but second half he was invisible. Fred ran him ragged.

Decent player but still don't see where the hype is with him regarding 100m fees. He's nowhere near worth that. I'd much rather sign Bellingham for that type of money.
Not sure I agree. For one FDJ fits the profile of the midfielder we need a lot more than Bellingham does, and he's had the benefit of working under Ten Hag. Bellingham for all we know could be another overhyped English player who looks good in the Bundesliga.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not sure I agree. For one FDJ fits the profile of the midfielder we need a lot more than Bellingham does, and he's had the benefit of working under Ten Hag. Bellingham for all we know could be another overhyped English player who looks good in the Bundesliga.
Bellingham looked class in Qatar too and always looks good in the CL for Dortmund tbf.

He's got more about him than Frenkie.

Kaos

Bellingham looked class in Qatar too and always looks good in the CL for Dortmund tbf.

He's got more about him than Frenkie.
Frenkie also looked brilliant under Ten Hag's Ajax in the champions league. I don't doubt Bellingham potentially being a special player, but I do genuinely feel Frenkie fits our team best, and is frenkly (hehe) the safer bet considering his relationship and familiarity with Ten Hag. He's a more natural Eriksen upgrade which I suspect is the profile we're looking at.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Bellingham will cost a lot more. I think the choice was between FDJ and Casemiro. Casemiro is a much better 6 right now. He hasn’t looked that good in the games against us. Kessie was poor too (and I really wanted us to sign him on a free) If the manager still wants him then sign him up. If we get ETH what he needs then we will challenge at the highest levels again. No doubt about it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Frenkie also looked brilliant under Ten Hag's Ajax in the champions league. I don't doubt Bellingham potentially being a special player, but I do genuinely feel Frenkie fits our team best, and is frenkly (hehe) the safer bet considering his relationship and familiarity with Ten Hag. He's a more natural Eriksen upgrade which I suspect is the profile we're looking at.
I'd be fine with either tbf. I just think Bellingham has a bit more in his locker. Looks like a proper class act and definitely has that aggression in his game than I think FDJ lacks.

tompo18

Not for me, I want a midfielder who is desperate to win these matches and I don't get this feeling from him.

BEST No7

Ten hag knows his weaknesses, that 1st half was.. I think to stop de Jong from controlling the game. Don't think he has the stones to be the glue in our side. Was completely anonymous over the two games. It's obvious why barca wanted to sell. We should look elsewhere tbh

Mainoldo

Pure class. Would step it up a level if we could get him. His speed around the pitch is also underrated.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
How is he a mercenary? He chose to stay at his club.

McTerminator

After years of decline we were not particularly appealing last summer. We needed him to buy the vision without any evidence it was going to work.

Now we are showing very good signs and a decade of decline almost seems a distant memory.

You can’t blame the guy for not joining last summer, but this summer is a very different prospect.

FromTheBench

But we need a certain profile of midfielder and he fits.

Bellingham is a different player.

MadMike

I actually thought he had a very good game watching at real time. He was the one that stood out from their team. One of the very few players who could keep it well under press and speed away. Kessie and S.Roberto were cacking their pants every time a United player got within 2 meters of them. Busquets had some nice touches but his legs, that were never fast in the first place, are just gone.

It was a generally toothless performance from them. They lack pace up top without Dembele or Ansu Fati. But I would still take Frenkie for the 8 role if he wants to come.

Infestissumam

I'll admit he would be a really nice fit next to Casemiro, but after last summer, he can go pound sand and enjoy his paycuts. Yes, I'm petty like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.