Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

Why keep pushing for something when you are not getting anything back in return though. Do we necessarily need someone quick or when talking about slow did you mean in terms of decision making too.
In this case I meant slow to the point where it's a genuine problem in Tielemans and Neves, unless you're talking about signing someone who can play the last 30 minutes when Eriksen sits and also just not play and have Fred or Sabitzer in there when you think the midfield will have big gaps and the lines between attack and defence won't be tight.

De Jong isn't really a quick decision maker, he's just got that thing Messi and a lot of the greats have where he can beat players who are stationary or at a bad angle and can change the tempo and progress the ball based on where the gaps are around him.

Sort of like Lisandro does at CB, where it's not that his decisions are shockingly fast, it's that he understands space and how to build up and his feet are just really good (He'd probably be my first choice for the world 7 a side a LCB I think, though that's a whole different thread and De Jong would be an interesting discussion as the CM in that setup, with Enzo, Rodri and Kimmich all reasonable choices too) though it looks totally different. But their ability to change the tempo from fast to slow and slow to fast,(which maybe is that whole pausa thing everyone is always going on about) is not dissimilar and I think Ten Hag really likes it?

croadyman

In this case I meant slow to the point where it's a genuine problem in Tielemans and Neves, unless you're talking about signing someone who can play the last 30 minutes when Eriksen sits and also just not play and have Fred or Sabitzer in there when you think the midfield will have big gaps and the lines between attack and defence won't be tight.

De Jong isn't really a quick decision maker, he's just got that thing Messi and a lot of the greats have where he can beat players who are stationary or at a bad angle and can change the tempo and progress the ball based on where the gaps are around him.

Sort of like Lisandro does at CB, where it's not that his decisions are shockingly fast, it's that he understands space and how to build up and his feet are just really good (He'd probably be my first choice for the world 7 a side a LCB I think, though that's a whole different thread and De Jong would be an interesting discussion as the CM in that setup, with Enzo, Rodri and Kimmich all reasonable choices too) though it looks totally different. But their ability to change the tempo from fast to slow and slow to fast,(which maybe is that whole pausa thing everyone is always going on about) is not dissimilar and I think Ten Hag really likes it?
Oh there is no doubt he is quality player and can understand why Erik wants him,however he is seemingly sticking to his guns despite all the issues around his "dream" club

NoPace

The perfect player to compliment Case but if he doesn’t want to come so be it and move on
I agree. Do you think there are any good alternatives?

Too bad we can't sign Pedri or Kovacic, they have what you need.

I think I was stoned when I watched Kone for BMG, and supposedly PSG want him (though they have a million guys there, someone smart is gonna get Soler, Renato Sanches or Fabian Ruiz for cheap). His stats are impressive for his age.

He's sort of like Goncalo Ramos as a signing in that if you assume the sexiest names aren't coming, he ticks all the boxes, is young, starting and playing at a high level (CL knockouts and at a solid Bundesliga team) and probably going to leave if the money is right.

Other than him, I'm having a hard time seeing who to predict becomes a name we hear apart from the ones who will have a bidding war like Jude, not move like De Jong and the guys who are good overall midfielders but don't clearly show enough quality on the ball (Caicedo though I think he's improving) or Rice (going backwards, but his team and midfielder partners are horrendous, since Paqueta looks lost and Soucek's legs have completely failed him).

If I was putting the betting odds I'd probably have Mac Allister and Kone 1 and 2 in some order for likeliest signings this summer in midfield, but these are fairly wild guesses.

Rolaholic

Alright, time to turn the page on this anti-climactic chapter...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

He's clearly been misquoted. Understandable since nobody in Spain speaks Dutch.

Frenkie de Jong: “I hope I will play at the new Camp Nou. Barcelona is the club of my dreams, so I plan to stay for many years. It looks like it's going to be nice. The plans for the stadium are very good”.
Obviously he meant

Frenkie de Jong: “I hope I will play at the new New Trafford in Old Trafford. Yernited is the club of my dreams, so I plan to play there for many years. It looks like it's going to be nice. The plans for the cheese room are very good”.

jem

What I’m curious to know is what other midfielders have a similar skill set to de Jong. My knowledge of players outside of the Prem is pretty limited so would love to get some insight on this .

wangyu

Not again, he doesn’t want to play for utd, leave him be. There are other football players and presumably a lot cheaper.

Cloud7

He isn't going to say he wants to leave.
Saying that, I wouldn't be chasing him all summer either.
Or at some point we need to accept that this might not be some long game from him and he in fact is just happy in Barcelona and does not want to leave.

Blood Mage

It's a shame as he's probably the second best ball carrying midfielder in the world after De Bruyne but what can we do if he doesn't want to leave. Anyone else we'll get won't be as good though.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
If he would even come to the premier league, I bet he would prefer Arsenal.

SoCross

It's a shame as he's probably the second best ball carrying midfielder in the world after De Bruyne but what can we do if he doesn't want to leave. Anyone else we'll get won't be as good though.
Who would you say make up the top five?

Rolaholic

If Arsenal were able to find their captain for 40M, we can definitely find a non-FDJ option for that role without necessarily breaking the bank

jamesjimmybyrondean

What I’m curious to know is what other midfielders have a similar skill set to de Jong. My knowledge of players outside of the Prem is pretty limited so would love to get some insight on this .
I did a bit of research on fbref of other midfielders and whose stats are similar to De Jong's quality of press resistance, ball carrying, accurate passing and progressive passing. Only players that ticked all these boxes and could be available were Kovacic, Aouar and Rice (shocking)

glasgow 21

Someone should lock this thread. Where is there any direct evidence that Ten Hag is on FDJ trail, other than what happened last summer?. This is another media gem for quiet news day like Nicolas Gaitan used to be.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Sticks his fingers up at us for the second year running. It’s time to move on ffs.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I mean this is the guy who got smashed with the ball by Bruno and still ended up shaking his hand and giggling like a school girl.
Ok I might be lying but then again I can see that happening. To the Jude Ballingham thread we go.

RC89

The chances of him signing for us are still higher than him playing in a new Nou Camp.

In all seriousness, I hope we don't chase him again for the whole window. We should see if this is posturing (which I doubt) and move on early if there's no movement.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If anyone here still wanted him to join after he cucked us hard last summer and the repeated statements that he’s happy to stay, then you are clearly in denial.

This guy is at the club of his dreams apparently. Let him fester in the shitshow that is Barca.

NLunited

If anyone here still wanted him to join after he cucked us hard last summer and the repeated statements that he’s happy to stay, then you are clearly in denial.

This guy is at the club of his dreams apparently. Let him fester in the shitshow that is Barca.
If he still thinks Barça is his dreamclub, then yes, forget him. I‘m not sure about that though. The way they treated him with the deferred wages and now the corruption scandal. He did not give an inch on the issue of his salary last summer despite all the pressure from the president and supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.