Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

Rake

Dutch media reported that he will be out for 5/6 weeks but that making the Euros is still very much possible.
Wasn't it confirmed that he has a sprained ankle? Not a horror injury by any means.

Anyway, I think the ship has sailed. He has regressed and probably will find it difficult adapting to the PL. Not to mention the fee and wages.

caid

Dont they owe him about €30m a year or something stupid for the last 2 years of his contract? There's loyalty payments or other bonuses on top of his already insane wage.

Demaw

You know with this ankle injury and big money owed to him, we will probably get him now. The Spanish palm off.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You know with this ankle injury and big money owed to him, we will probably get him now. The Spanish palm off.
That injury will most likely be healed by the Summer and of course we will be in for him, ten Hag values him very highly and you can be certain he’s going to be near top of his wish list.

Pronewbie

Peep
For the kind of money required, I genuinely don't think Frenkie's a suitable transfer target. Top midfielders these days are expected to be able to do everything at a decent level. He's a defensive liability and physically weak in the positions he play.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Well we got Casemiro part 6 and Varane parts unknown so we should wait a while for this one.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If we sign this player it means that we haven't learned from our past mistakes. Just let it go. He didn't want to come here before, so why should we take him now. Move on and find someone who actually wants to play here...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We won't sign him. He was ETH number one target and he likely won't be here next season.

criticalanalysis

For the kind of money required, I genuinely don't think Frenkie's a suitable transfer target. Top midfielders these days are expected to be able to do everything at a decent level. He's a defensive liability and physically weak in the positions he play.
Agreed. He's reaching his peak age and will want a massive contract. He's had a lot of injuries these past couple of years as well so you just know he will not acclimatise to the PL without even more issues.

It sounds like such a Utd thing to do though but hopefully INEOS rule this out.

But then I'm tempted to say we should sign Modric if he leaves Madrid this summer. Reunite him with Varane and Casemiro even if just for the Summer friendlies before we get rid of them :lol:

Stadjer

Football association doctor (i suppose that is a decent translation?) says that there is no reason to assume that Frenkie wont make the Euros. Good news for our national team.

Pickle85

Us including Bruno in a deal for fdj? Surely they'd include frenkie in any deal for Bruno. No chance we should be giving them Bruno plus anything additional. He's worth more than frenkie.

Pickle85

You think a nearly 30 year old Bruno is worth more than a 26 year old FDJ?
I think that Barca have been looking to get rid of him forever so their hand isn't exactly the strongest. Bruno is only three years older and it's not like 30 is some kind of magic number at which point all footballers becomes useless. Also, isn't frenkie out of contract in a year or two?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
De Jong turns 27 a few months before Bruno turns 30. At least be consistent in your wording :lol:
Yea ok, I was painting a picture! You didn't answer the question though.

I think that Barca have been looking to get rid of him forever so their hand isn't exactly the strongest. Bruno is only three years older and it's not like 30 is some kind of magic number at which point all footballers becomes useless. Also, isn't frenkie out of contract in a year or two?
I think a lot of the reason they want to get rid of him is because of his cost though not the player, who remains the more valuable player? Surely has to be FDJ as much as I love Bruno

Pickle85

Yea ok, I was painting a picture! You didn't answer the question though.

I think a lot of the reason they want to get rid of him is because of his cost though not the player, who remains the more valuable player? Surely has to be FDJ as much as I love Bruno
I think frenkie is probably worth more if you're looking like for like, but I think that given the situation (clubs being aware that Barca are looking to get shot of him, plus the wages he'd command) in this situation he's not.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't want to lose Bruno :(

....but, @Judas @Acquire Me we ready for round 3?? :devil:
I'm not sure how interested I am anymore :nervous: I wouldn't swap Bruno for him, and I have mixed feelings about Bruno! I don't know how convinced I am about De Jong in the PL after watching him more often for Barca. I also don't know if he's the right character either. I think Barca would be getting the better deal.

Scanny

The headline should be Barcelona willing to include Frenkie in a deal for Fernandes.

It’d be fecking dumb to ship out a player who has embraced the club from day 1 for a player who never wanted to join when he had the opportunity more than once.
Complete agreement.

Hammondo

Yeah, that’d certainly be one of way of giving us way more control and not as easy to play through! We’d need a ton of creativity from our wide forwards and fullbacks though! Especially if we lose Bruno.
I think Frankie is very creative when he's further up the pitch, also I think mainoo will develop in that area.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not sure how interested I am anymore :nervous: I wouldn't swap Bruno for him, and I have mixed feelings about Bruno! I don't know how convinced I am about De Jong in the PL after watching him more often for Barca. I also don't know if he's the right character either. I think Barca would be getting the better deal.
Fair points! Can't help but still really want him but I am looking at gaping holes elsewhere in the squad and I love Bruno, so don't want to lose him at all. Think we need an actual DM, striker, Lb and a few CBs first!

CM

The headline should be Barcelona willing to include Frenkie in a deal for Fernandes.

It’d be fecking dumb to ship out a player who has embraced the club from day 1 for a player who never wanted to join when he had the opportunity more than once.
Tend to agree. Bruno has his limitations and can be frustrating but he has probably still been our most consistent player since he signed.