Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Surely with Mainoo’s emergence FDJ isn’t the profile of CM we need to buy.

We need a strong, mobile destroyer of a midfielder.
We definitely need midfielders (and players in general) that are of this mould. Look at how atrocious we are at keeping the ball anytime we're pressed. Mainoo isn't solving that problem alone.

Jericholyte2

We definitely need midfielders (and players in general) that are of this mould. Look at how atrocious we are at keeping the ball anytime we're pressed. Mainoo isn't solving that problem alone.
Sure, but you couldn’t have a midfield two of FDJ and Mainoo, especially with Bruno ahead of them.

You could have them with a DM behind them, but they’d get overrun as the midfield base.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sure, but you couldn’t have a midfield two of FDJ and Mainoo, especially with Bruno ahead of them.

You could have them with a DM behind them, but they’d get overrun as the midfield base.
I actually wouldn't mind those two (or someone similar to de Jong) as the base myself for the time being. In my opinion, our priority has to be press resistant players. We've been neglecting said players for way too long now. They aren't the sole solution, no, but I think that's the first step needed to evolving our style of play. Stockpiling said players will naturally allow us to play better football, then we can add the bits and bobs needed for transitioning from a side that just plays good stuff (which would be refreshing after this last decade) to playing good stuff that wins things.

hobbers

At least with Thiago, Sneijder and Vidal etc people gave up after 1 big summer failure.

How do people keep this farce up in their own heads?

Forget how much he hates the idea of playing for us, the manager who wanted him so badly will be sacked before the window opens.

RoyH1

At least with Thiago, Sneijder and Vidal etc people gave up after 1 big summer failure.

How do people keep this farce up in their own heads?

Forget how much he hates the idea of playing for us, the manager who wanted him so badly will be sacked before the window opens.
Plus his wages are absolutely astronomical. No one but the oil clubs could buy that contract out.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Future

"Lately I've been getting a bit irritated. I'm pissed off with what the press writes in general, a lot of things come out that aren't true. I can't understand it. They keep saying things that aren't true. I don't know why you're not ashamed to say it".

Renewal

"You are talking a lot about my contract, situation, salary... it's a lot of smoke and lies. You say I'm getting paid like 40 and so on... it's far from reality. I'm not going to say figures. They have invented a story that is not true. I'm very happy at Barça, it's the club of my dreams and I hope to continue playing here for many years to come.

Insider information

"I can't say because I don't know. I hope not. I know that a lot of things are made up because you write things that are not true. You are doing it in general with a lot of players and coaches. I don't have the feeling that you are going to change, but you should because you can't write things that are not true".

Five seasons

"I consider the club, my teammates, the people I work with on a daily basis, the staff... and I'm happy. I'm enjoying it a lot. If someone says that I play badly in the press, it doesn't matter, because everyone can have their own opinion, but the lies... you have to change it".
So… you’re telling us that there’s a chance

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Barcelona sell the player for a fair amount, and they are delighted. The issue is the player.
This old chestnut again? It’s all Frenkies fault. The selfish git has deferred wages on multiple occasions in order to help the club and now he has the temerity to expect to be paid what he is owed. He’s also vindictive enough to expect to be allowed to stay and play at the club he loves and not to take a transfer because he is forced too. Bastard.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
I’m joking; I think with INEOS coming in that ship has sailed
I don't know how attractive it would be for him to go to United without Ten Haag and possibly without champions league.

This old chestnut again? It’s all Frenkies fault. The selfish git has deferred wages on multiple occasions in order to help the club and now he has the temerity to expect to be paid what he is owed. He’s also vindictive enough to expect to be allowed to stay and play at the club he loves and not to take a transfer because he is forced too. Bastard.
I simply meant that he doesn't want to leave even if Barcelona pays him the deferred salary.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't know how attractive it would be for him to go to United without Ten Haag and possibly without champions league.

I simply meant that he doesn't want to leave even if Barcelona pays him the deferred salary.
Yeah we aren’t in for him with a new structure. We will spend our money in a more methodical manner going forward

LuckyScout78

Buy and go for Dani Olmo instead. I think i would prefer Dani Olmo over De Jong.

RW - Bruno - Mainoo - Dani Olmo - Rashford + Højlund = plus a top RW too and this 6 is up there with the best 3 team like City, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Dani Olmo is one of the best player out there when it come to close control in small area, at the highest speed.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Plus his wages are absolutely astronomical. No one but the oil clubs could buy that contract out.
His wages are mainly like that because he got paid less during the pandemic years. He would be on a "fairly normal" contract if he came here I would think. Around 300k probably.

davidmichael

In the days before Mainoo I’d have loved De Jong but he’s pointless now, it’s a like for like replacement for Casemiro and a Carrick’esque player like Neves that’s needed so Barca can go feck themselves and crack on with their fecking levers.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We need quality and he brings load of it, get him in early.

mav_9me

In the days before Mainoo I’d have loved De Jong but he’s pointless now, it’s a like for like replacement for Casemiro and a Carrick’esque player like Neves that’s needed so Barca can go feck themselves and crack on with their fecking levers.
Agreed. While a lot depends on what the club sees Mainoo as, a 6 or an 8, I'd prefer either a deeper DM who can pass like Rodri/Busquets/Carrick profile or an all action midfielder who tackles and passes decently (maybe Onana?)

Todd

I like Mainoo, and I hope he continues to develop, but he's no De Jong, let's not kid ourselves.

De Jong is the type of midfielder we've desperately missed having for a long, long time. If we can sign him, we should. We just need to make sure we sign a #6 to replace Casemiro as well.

But, if De Jong leaves he'll probably go to City, and who could blame him. A midfield 3 of Rodri, De Jong, and De Bruyne would be unstoppable.

MegadrivePerson

Haven't Ratcliffes recent comments on transfers effectively ruled out signing a player like De Jong?

Teja

No, stop it.

Friendship ended with Frenkie. Mainoo is my new best friend.

Hammondo

Surely with Mainoo’s emergence FDJ isn’t the profile of CM we need to buy.

We need a strong, mobile destroyer of a midfielder.
Mainoo could play in several midfield positions, so it's not straightforward, but a deep midfielder is probably best and least risky.

Hammondo

I like Mainoo, and I hope he continues to develop, but he's no De Jong, let's not kid ourselves.

De Jong is the type of midfielder we've desperately missed having for a long, long time. If we can sign him, we should. We just need to make sure we sign a #6 to replace Casemiro as well.

But, if De Jong leaves he'll probably go to City, and who could blame him. A midfield 3 of Rodri, De Jong, and De Bruyne would be unstoppable.
De Jong is horrible defensively though, it would be a big problem for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
De Jong is horrible defensively though, it would be a big problem for us.
We are too structured defensively, often too conservative with midfield sat deep. FdJ will help expand us and be more open.

davidmichael

Right now you’re correct Mainoo isn’t De Jong but he’s also 18 years old and dominating midfield in games against established Premier League players or at the very least holding his own against some of the best in Europe.

Mainoo has the ability to turn defence into attack, brings a calmness and composure, can dribble, can score, can pass short range and long range, press resistant, has pace and has a maturity of someone 10 years older than he is and right now the only things he may struggle with is his stamina and strength which will both come.

Whilst De Jong can do all of those things he’d cost well over £100 million, would want over £300K a week, would have to settle, his missus rules him, they LOVE Barcelona as a city and as a club and hasn’t looked great this season at all.

All of the best attributes De Jong has I think Mainoo will also have and Mainoo also looks to be a threat further forward as well, right now De Jong is obviously the better player but in 2-3 years I don’t think that’ll be the case so De Jong shouldn’t even be on our radar unless we’re planning on selling Fernandes as there’s zero way in the world we’d go with a Mainoo-De Jong-Fernandes midfield.