Frenkie De Jong | Performances

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
One of those signings that just make sense but for whatever reason the club won't see it like that.

romufc

One of those signings that just make sense but for whatever reason the club won't see it like that.
Seriously? Why do fans do this to themselves.

There is no chance in us signing him... even if Barca are in turmoil they still have 4/5 players that are untouchable.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
As desperate as Barca are, he’d be difficult to prize away from them, much like Pedri and Ansu Fati. I think they’d rather not register Aguero, then sell Frenkie, unless you put up a crazy offer. His wages are an issue as well. He’ll be our top earner iirc.

Bwuk

As desperate as Barca are, he’d be difficult to prize away from them, much like Pedri and Ansu Fati. I think they’d rather not register Aguero, then sell Frenkie, unless you put up a crazy offer. His wages are an issue as well. He’ll be our top earner iirc.
Don't think Aguero is available until about November anyway. I can see him not getting registered then loaned out in Jan.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

There is no chance in us signing him... even if Barca are in turmoil they still have 4/5 players that are untouchable.
At what point did I say we were signing him?

dinostar77

They parted ways with Messi anything is possible. Theres no stories in the media for Pedri, Fati, De Jong. They are the crown jewels for the clubs future right? Cant think of anyone else.

Red_toad

The club doesn’t want to become the next Barca, I’m happy to see the that we’re not going to follow buy whoever pay top top wages and destroy the club with unsustainable wages and costs. What’s wrong with some people who think that United should just sign everyone and gain more and more debt! It only ends 1 way unless the owners have shady finances and unlimited funds.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I still don't understand why Frenkie is on such a ridiculous wage at Barca, reportedly 400 k.

He must've been earning about 30/40 k max at Ajax, so why the unnecessary and insane wage hike ?

Did Barca feel pressured because of , their arch nemesis, PSG who were battling for De Jong's signature at the time ?
Likely, but even PSG wouldn't have offered that much surely.

Any new contract he signs at Barca has to be more handsome than the first.

Its just nuts. :lol:

romufc

They parted ways with Messi anything is possible. Theres no stories in the media for Pedri, Fati, De Jong. They are the crown jewels for the clubs future right? Cant think of anyone else.
After losing Messi, do you actually think they would let De Jong go?

Even if they do, it would be something ridiculous to get him, over £120m

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I still don't understand why Frenkie is on such a ridiculous wage at Barca, reportedly 400 k.

He must've been earning about 30/40 k max at Ajax, so why the unnecessary and insane wage hike ?

Did Barca feel pressured because of , their arch nemesis, PSG who were battling for De Jong's signature at the time ?

He was joining PSG as they made him a great offer, Barca had to come back and beat them with an even better one.

Unfortunately their chairman at the time thought money grew on trees, ego got the better of them.

Look at the money they've spent on Griezmann too, they pay him like he's the best in the world. Madness.

dinostar77

Hes on €400,000 which is around £340,000. He's one of the higest rated young midfield prospects in world football. Yes Barcelona were stupid for paying him so much so soon in his career, but if he was to move (theoretically) Utd could accomodate his wages. After we are losing Pogba on a free next summer so thats £300,000 a week in wages we'd be saving.

dinostar77

After losing Messi, do you actually think they would let De Jong go?

Even if they do, it would be something ridiculous to get him, over £120m
No one knows. The situation is desperate at Barcelona. Wages still take up 95% of the entire revenue of the club.

Its all theoretical but if someone came in and offered £60mil for De Jong, plus his wages coming off the books that would get Barcelona close to the £100mil they need to registerthe new signings (doing this in £ not €).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
My favourite midfielder probably, well top 3 with Kimmich and Bruno. Would love him here and he might accept a slightly lower salary. Only if the club has a plan and Ole improves though. Seems like a match made in heaven for City / Bayern though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If De Jong is actually unhappy I can see a small chance with this just because Koeman is a manager there and we have VDB too. However the wages is probably stopping it all.

dinostar77

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Koeman built his national team around De Jong, didn't he ?

Also, I don't think bench-boy Beek is a great example of someone who will tempt De Jong to OT.

UncleBob

Beggars can't be choosers - 120m is a ridiculous quotation
He signed a new contract last year didn't he, 400 mill euro release clause. I have no idea how his value is on paper and how it'll effect Barcelona if they sell him on "the cheap"

Zen86

Barca don’t want to sell him and we can’t afford him are pretty good reasons why he won’t come here.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Next summer, after Pogba leaves we might be in for him then, only then can we try not now, fantastic footballer though would love him here.

The Hilton

Lets clear this misconception up, we wouldnt be breaking our wage structure, if he came across at the same wages as hes on at Barcelona he'd be behind De Gea in pay. Theres a different bewteen Euros and Pounds. €400,000 is £340,000.

https://fcbarcelonalatestnews.com/fc-barcelona-players-wages/
So he'd be our second highest paid player, ahead of our top performers, and behind DDG who it's generally accepted is on a salary that is beyond what he offers nowadays.

That would absolutely be breaking our wage structure, after a lot of work bringing it back into balance after the likes of Sanchez etc. Signing a young midfielder on that salary would immediately cause every other player in the squad to start angling for a pay rise.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Barca would rather not register the new players than let him and Pedro go.
Laporta is finished once he starts selling players the club sees as its future.

Adisa

His agent did a fantastic job of creating an auction for his signature. Both clubs went overboard.

Adisa

How he is still in his position right now is pretty bonkers.
He has successfully blamed the previous admin for the club's ills. Maybe he could have handled the situation better but let's be honest, he inherited a mess of a club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He has successfully blamed the previous admin for the club's ills. Maybe he could have handled the situation better but let's be honest, he inherited a mess of a club.
Didn't he sign off on getting Memphis, Aguero and Emerson? None of whom can play but are all adding to the wage bill? Seems like gross incompetence to me.

Nickelodeon

Well his salary on paper may be 400k euros but Barca have imposed some sort of paycut on the players. Anyways, he is my dream signing for our team since the qualities he has are exactly what have been missing from our DMs.

Brightonian

I haven't watched much of Barca for a couple of seasons. How defensive is he? I get that he's a sort of regista for them, but does he actually do the defensive work or does that fall to someone else? He looks a bit lightweight to be a DM.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I haven't watched much of Barca for a couple of seasons. How defensive is he? I get that he's a sort of regista for them, but does he actually do the defensive work or does that fall to someone else? He looks a bit lightweight to be a DM.
De Jong can play everywhere, he even delivered really good performances as a center back, he really isn't lightweight. I don't like when he plays to high on the pitch though, he's better when he faces the game and has space. Pretty much any team needs a De Jong.

Glorio

"We are the biggest club in the world, we can afford anyone." ??
No we can't, not if we want to survive.
I reckon someone high up in Barca was thinking along these lines before the mess we're seeing today.

RedKnight88

Say we offer him £400k+ week wages. Who can match that? PSG? Real Madrid?Man City? Chelsea? Lets assume Real Madrid won't bother and Frenkie won't go there. That just leaves potentially two/three teams that would realistically afford his wages.
Heck, even if he chooses one of those teams, we can then focus on Pedri, Goretzka or any other top midfielder. But we won't know if we don't try. For all we know Frenkie might prefer us to the rest.