Frenkie De Jong | Performances

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I haven't watched much of Barca for a couple of seasons. How defensive is he? I get that he's a sort of regista for them, but does he actually do the defensive work or does that fall to someone else? He looks a bit lightweight to be a DM.
Yeah that’s be my concern. Especially if we blew our financial load on him

dinostar77

So he'd be our second highest paid player, ahead of our top performers, and behind DDG who it's generally accepted is on a salary that is beyond what he offers nowadays.

That would absolutely be breaking our wage structure, after a lot of work bringing it back into balance after the likes of Sanchez etc. Signing a young midfielder on that salary would immediately cause every other player in the squad to start angling for a pay rise.
Breaking your wage structure means you pay a player above your top earning player. This is all theoretical. If de jong came he wouldnt be breaking the wage structure as you put it and we'd be getting a replacement for Pogba and one of the best CM in world football.

Not that it will happen.

The Hilton

Breaking your wage structure means you pay a player above your top earning player. This is all theoretical. If de jong came he wouldnt be breaking the wage structure as you put it and we'd be getting a replacement for Pogba and one of the best CM in world football.

Not that it will happen.
No it doesn't, it means breaking your wage structure. If you paid a 16 year old way more than the rest, but below your top earner, you'd still be breaking your wage structure. Equally, bringing in prime Messi as your best paid player wouldn't necessarily be breaking it.

If De Jong came to us on his Barca wages, he would absolutely be breaking our wage structure. DDG is an anomaly, and he won't be getting a renewal on his current salary, and the rest of our squad, including our best players, are on much less (and would want at least parity on their next contract).

dinostar77

No it doesn't, it means breaking your wage structure. If you paid a 16 year old way more than the rest, but below your top earner, you'd still be breaking your wage structure. Equally, bringing in prime Messi as your best paid player wouldn't necessarily be breaking it.

If De Jong came to us on his Barca wages, he would absolutely be breaking our wage structure. DDG is an anomaly, and he won't be getting a renewal on his current salary, and the rest of our squad, including our best players, are on much less (and would want at least parity on their next contract).
Im going to politely disagree with your post and move on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Almost certainly horseshit given the source but out of curiosity, in a hypothetical world where he was available how would De Jong fit into our midfield? Obviously he'd be a massive upgrade in terms of quality but I haven't seen as much of him in recent years so haven't followed the type of player he's developing into.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Almost certainly horseshit given the source but out of curiosity, in a hypothetical world where he was available how would De Jong fit into our midfield? Obviously he'd be a massive upgrade in terms of quality but I haven't seen as much of him in recent years so haven't followed the type of player he's developing into.
In my opinion De Jong is a very good controlling midfielder. I compare him to Thiago Alcanatara. If he came to United he could add that to our midfield. However, he would have the same problem that all our midfielders have: We don't have a world class #6 to back him up. If we had a proper terrier type defensive midfielder next to him, like a Cambiasso or Makelele in their prime, he'd be very good for us. The problem is we don't have that player, don't look like we're going to get that player and so De Jong would probably end up being hung out to dry.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

He is being used outside of his strengths at Barcelona, which can be explained by the presence of Busquets. He is mainly being used higher up the field, therefore not being heavily involved/the go to guy in build up of the play from the back. Where he plays now at Barca you would expect another type of player who is more involved in the final part of the attack and brings goals/assists. He is just not that type of player, never been. He gets criticized a fair share in The Netherlands by certain people that he lacks goals and assists. For me personally thats a load of crap. It would be the same as if we would expect Pirlo/Jorginho/Verrati types of players to provide threat in the opponents box in stead of judging them on their playmaking capabilites from behind the ball.

That being said I honestly think he should leave Barcelona. Barcelona will want to build their new team around Pedri/Gavi/Nico in midfield (which makes sense to me) and Busquets is also still there. Adding Frenkie de Jong to that mix doesnt make a good midfield, because it will mean more of the same players which will eventually result in (as you have seem happening now) one of more of those playing outside position and being used outside of their strenghts. Koeman has used him everywhere in the last year. Wide on the left, wide on the right, as central defender and as #10, but hardly as playmaking #6, because Busquets is always there...

He would be the biggest added value for teams who dont have a playmaking #6 at the moment. That basically leaves out PSG and Chelsea where Verrati and Jorginho are now, but I think every other top team can use him because they either dont have a playmaking #6 or he is better then the one who is there.. (Rodri at City for example).

His greatest strenght is that he is so insanely press resilient and has the ability to find space when the opponents presses hard (that is why it was so infuriating for me to see when they got slaughtered by Bayern earlier this season that he was playing soo high up the field he wasnt even involved in build up and the ball hardly reached him because of the Bayern press).

Would absolute love to see him at Real Madrid besides Casemiro slowly finding another long term solution for days after the Modric/Kroos tandem.

Have to add by the way: You can turn every stone on the earth and will fail to find a bigger Frenkie fan than me. But even i have to say he is massively underperforming and possibly in the worst form of his life these days.. Even playing outside of his bigger strenghts, I always expect him to do the simple things right and he isnt always delivering that at the moment.

Bwuk

In my opinion De Jong is a very good controlling midfielder. I compare him to Thiago Alcanatara. If he came to United he could add that to our midfield. However, he would have the same problem that all our midfielders have: We don't have a world class #6 to back him up. If we had a proper terrier type defensive midfielder next to him, like a Cambiasso or Makelele in their prime, he'd be very good for us. The problem is we don't have that player, don't look like we're going to get that player and so De Jong would probably end up being hung out to dry.
I think De Jong at 6 with McTominay or Fred being the aggressive pressor and allowing De Jong to dictate could work. Although I'd be more than happy to upgrade on Fred.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I remember him playing in a back 3 for ajax aswell as being their midfielder when he came out, the most technical CB/CDM I've seen in recent times.

I think in a midfield 3 like Ajax's that played De Jong, VDB and Schone - he doesn't need that proper top tier CDM like Makelele because he can hold that central position himself and do some defensive work- the others have to just do it cohesively so he can play to his on the ball strengths.

Thiago to me was always a slightly overrated player - De Jong is more than just about his passing; it's the positions he can take up and take the ball from deep positions further up the pitch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Jong and Rice would be nice. Especially if Bruno's going to free form all game at the no.10.

... Just the £160~ odd million for the pair, mind.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I remember him playing in a back 3 for ajax aswell as being their midfielder when he came out, the most technical CB/CDM I've seen in recent times.

I think in a midfield 3 like Ajax's that played De Jong, VDB and Schone - he doesn't need that proper top tier CDM like Makelele because he can hold that central position himself and do some defensive work- the others have to just do it cohesively so he can play to his on the ball strengths.

Thiago to me was always a slightly overrated player - De Jong is more than just about his passing; it's the positions he can take up and take the ball from deep positions further up the pitch.
I think that slightly underestimates the physicality and pace of English football. De Jong would get kicked about in the English league in a way referees would not allow in Spain or in the Champions League. That's why I think he would need a proper partner in there with him.

I compare it to Xabi Alonso who excelled as the deepest midfielder for Madrid. However, in England was best suited to partnering Mascherano because of how physical our game is relatively speaking. That's not a slight on De Jong. Its just an observation that someone like De Jong needs a little more protecting in a league like ours.

RUCK4444

Perfect player for us. Hopefully the board keep trying to make up for their horsesh*t handling of the club by spending big on a player like this.

Our midfield needs upgrading from top to bottom, I'd lose most of our entire midfield for this lad. He's levels above anything we have (with the exception of Pogba talent wise.)

Edit; Get Ten Haag and hopefully he tells the board to get Frenkie at any cost. :drool: God that would be the perfect antidote to the misery of this season.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
De Jong and Rice would be nice. Especially if Bruno's going to free form all game at the no.10.

... Just the £160~ odd million for the pair, mind.
Oh man imagine that midfield? Rice’s brilliant defensive work with De Jongs ability to control the game and Bruno in front with his attacking contributions.

Xaviboy

Exact type if player we need but wouldnt blame him if he didn't sign. Ole just play him for couple games and drop him for McFred.

He is better suited to Man City. Better team, better coach, better players and keep ball better, which is what he is good at.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think that slightly underestimates the physicality and pace of English football. De Jong would get kicked about in the English league in a way referees would not allow in Spain or in the Champions League. That's why I think he would need a proper partner in there with him.

I compare it to Xabi Alonso who excelled as the deepest midfielder for Madrid. However, in England was best suited to partnering Mascherano because of how physical our game is relatively speaking. That's not a slight on De Jong. Its just an observation that someone like De Jong needs a little more protecting in a league like ours.
Yeah that's true but it was ultimately that he is getting played higher up the pitch now when he has played as deep as a CB for Ajax along as the defensive pressure came from others.

My dream is Rice and De Jong - because they are quite similar players in the positions they take (CB/CDM/CM), press resistant players - whilst De Jong is a completely different level technically and has the skillfull dribbling and passing ability, Rice is the more defensive version taking up those positions aswell whilst trying to analyse and win the ball back before going on a blistering press resistant straight through run.

I think they could play deep and be quite cohesive with eachother due to each of their abilities to play similar roles/positions to each other but with a different skillset or technique that one lacks - but the other has & vice versa; ultimately taking each others role or position when it needs be.

No idea why De Jong would join here though after VDB's struggles. :(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It’s not 2005. Refereeing in the EPL is more protective than it is in the Champions League these days. In Spain there is as many teams with rough shit-house tactics as there is in England.

KeanoMagicHat

I mean De Jong would easily make us 10 times the better team and would improve us immensely, but there's no chance he's coming here.

Mwooyo

De jong is a fantastic player but manutd already has players as good as him. Dylan Levitt, James Garner all just need a chance in the first team. I can bet you that they are as good as him. Alternatively, they should go on loan to a team like Ajax and we will be swooning over them within a 1 year or 2

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He has never really played with a Makelele/Cambiasso behind him. Maybe de Roon at best.

tomaldinho1

I think that's way too simplistic a view - you don't have to have that type of player if you setup right. There are so many ways to setup a midfield. De Jong would be terrible under Ole, in the same way you could take prime Xavi and put him into United's midfield and he'd probably be about half the player he was for Barca.

Also, I feel Dutch players might be a bit apprehensive of United until something changes on the coaching front - there's a lot of frustration with the treatment of Donny

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm a massive Frenkie fan and hope he leaves Barca. He's in atrocious form and seems to be decomposing at Barca. It's hard to watch.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I'm a massive Frenkie fan and hope he leaves Barca. He's in atrocious form and seems to be decomposing at Barca. It's hard to watch.
This is the 'Too Long Didn't Read' summary of my piece about 15 postings up..

RUCK4444

Dunno think I need to see more of Bellingham, he’s very young, rice is ready to go. I certainly wouldn’t turn it down though!
Yeah I’d snap your hands off for any of these midfielders currently.

I’ve been banging on about midfield and DM for so long on here, the issue has become even bigger than I feared.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah I’d snap your hands off for any of these midfielders currently.

I’ve been banging on about midfield and DM for so long on here, the issue has become even bigger than I feared.
Yeah it’s not about getting 1 in any more. It’s about getting 2-3 that can work together seamlessly. Whether that’s through purchasing or promotion or both. Plus we need a system that won’t break them as soon as we get them

GlasgowCeltic

I think De Jong at 6 with McTominay or Fred being the aggressive pressor and allowing De Jong to dictate could work. Although I'd be more than happy to upgrade on Fred.
Imagine a FDJ Mctom partnership, would average 120 passes per game (FDJ 105)

RUCK4444

Yeah it’s not about getting 1 in any more. It’s about getting 2-3 that can work together seamlessly. Whether that’s through purchasing or promotion or both. Plus we need a system that won’t break them as soon as we get them
Yeah if we are replacing the manager then we should of course let the new manager help identify the preferred players for their system, but you would expect players like De Jong and Rice will be welcomed by any manager.

I think a manager like Ten Haag here with a fresh approach could present itself as a decent option for Frenkie. Pipe dream at the moment though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep. With us already needing a midfielder and Pogba likely leaving in the summer there's a need/opportunity to properly rebuild our midfield.