Frenkie De Jong | Performances

croadyman

Frenkie would be good to rotate with Eriksen/Bruno. Right now we don't have an able replacement for Eriksen.
Eriksen can offer the passing to an extent, however still need FDJ for progressing the ball

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Frenkie would be good to rotate with Eriksen/Bruno. Right now we don't have an able replacement for Eriksen.

Is he worth a bother blowing a hole in our wage structure for this sort of performance? Eriksen can do the job for now, and in the meantime, ETH can groom someone to replace Eriksen in a 2-3yrs time.

We have a higher budget priority for a striker for the next window with Ronaldo leaving.

Last edited:

croadyman

Is he worth a bother blowing a hole in our wage structure for this sort of performance? Eriksen can do the job for now, and in the meantime, ETH can groom someone to replace Eriksen in a 2-3yrs time.

We have a higher budget priority for a striker for the next window with Ronaldo leaving.
If Erik still thinks he is then yes

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can definitely see Frenkie coming next summer. This summer always felt too soon. A year as a backup could change his plans and ideas, and with United on the up with Ten Hag, could well happen.

Frenkie, a goalkeeper and a striker and this team could be brilliant.

Hawks2008

Anyone with eyes could see that he was going to rot on the bench at Barca. Absolute dumb cnut to stay there in a world cup year while the club treated him like dirt.

Truly living the dream.

El Presidente

Anyone with eyes could see that he was going to rot on the bench at Barca. Absolute dumb cnut to stay there in a world cup year while the club treated him like dirt.

Truly living the dream.
1. He is by far the best midfielder in the Dutch NT anyway.
2. He just wanted his money and the Barcelona lifestyle.

I guess, in the end, he got both. Don't think he feels any regret.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

I think you're right. We have possibilities in the future in that position with Hannibal, Iqbal and Mainoo, hopefully at least one of those will come through, Savage looked good in pre season as a DM, so hope to see him feature in several cup games, also Shoretire for a possible Bruno role.
I would love to see McNeil given a chance in a cup game too, hopefully if we qualify early in the Europa League we can give some of these guys a run out.

Telsim

Truly living the dream.
A bit much. Money is money and a contract is a contract. He had a contract with Barcelona and they owed him money. Besides, if I were a millionaire at his age living in Barcelona I wouldn't really consider moving to Manchester either. He will still get plenty of chances to play and his place in the NT is not under threat. I don't think he made the wrong choice at all. I hope we've learned our lesson and don't waste any more time on this.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Nice of us to buy him and loan him back for a year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There is absolutely no way legally moving would mean he’s still not entitled to that money.
That’s what I thought initially but it isn’t the case. His ‘deferred’ wages will only be paid if he completes his contract. The previous high contract was torn up and he signed a ‘new’ one altogether, with a very small wage in the first two years and a considerably higher one over the following three. If he left after the two, Barcelona would not be obligated to pay him what he would have earned over the coming three years. The lower salary he has been paid over the last 24 months were not a reduced wage, it was simply his salary as per the terms of his contract.

Of course, he didn’t sign that contract for no reason, and morally, Barcelona sort of do owe him, as he didn’t just sign a new contract with a different structure out of the kindness of his heart. But sign it he did!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It’s always going to be the case isn’t it? Gavi + Pedri is destined to become Spain new golden boy midfield pairs, whereas Busquets is always their best DM. FDJ can only be their backups.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s always going to be the case isn’t it? Gavi + Pedri is destined to become Spain new golden boy midfield pairs, whereas Busquets is always their best DM. FDJ can only be their backups.
Well, he always has the sun, dosh and the babe.

Living the life.

Gums

Besides, if I were a millionaire at his age living in Barcelona I wouldn't really consider moving to Manchester either.
If I were a professional footballer with limited time for my active career, I wouldn’t care where I’m based, how much money I have, or what my girlfriend thinks. I’d base my decisions purely upon footballing reasons. Any player that doesn’t can stay far away from United as far as I’m concerned.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
If I were a professional footballer with limited time for my active career, I wouldn’t care where I’m based, how much money I have, or what my girlfriend thinks. I’d base my decisions purely upon footballing reasons. Any player that doesn’t can stay far away from United as far as I’m concerned.
There's still a thing though, about letting people advantage of your good nature and getting away with it. You could say it is not about the money but rather the principle.

RkkMan

I think you're right. We have possibilities in the future in that position with Hannibal, Iqbal and Mainoo, hopefully at least one of those will come through, Savage looked good in pre season as a DM, so hope to see him feature in several cup games, also Shoretire for a possible Bruno role.
I would love to see McNeil given a chance in a cup game too, hopefully if we qualify early in the Europa League we can give some of these guys a run out.
I have to massively disagree with you two
De Jong's cock up decision doesn't change the fact that he's a top draw midfielder that transforms our team. If he's available within the next two windows we should(and probably will because our manager is obsessed with him) try to sign him
Eriksen has been fantastic but he's a stop gap and will be 31 next year. 2-3yrs is A LOT of time to hold back on an important position with a short term fix that was never meant to play there initially, with next to no guarantee either of the young lads you've mentioned will turn out to be good
Whether it's FDJ or someone of a similar profile a press resistant CM should still be a big priority next summer

sherrinford

De Jong's cock up decision doesn't change the fact that he's a top draw midfielder that transforms our team. If he's available within the next two windows we should(and probably will because our manager is obsessed with him) try to sign him
Eriksen has been fantastic but he's a stop gap and will be 31 next year. 2-3yrs is A LOT of time to hold back on an important position with a short term fix that was never meant to play there initially, with next to no guarantee either of the young lads you've mentioned will turn out to be good
Whether it's FDJ or someone of a similar profile a press resistant CM should still be a big priority next summer
Not sure he would transform the team anymore. We addressed the two glaring issues in centre midfield this summer - the absence of a progressive brain and a natural anchoring player. De Jong would have gave us both in one player and is fantastic, but the need for him is certainly not as great with the acquisitions of Eriksen and Casemiro.

Also, I would imaging Eriksen is playing in the position intended for him when he signed, and there is surely an expectation that he will perform for those next 2-3 years.

Telsim

What's wrong with his career at Barcelona? He played the full game last night and has 50% of the total minutes played in La Liga. We don't even have CL. So I'm not sure what your point is?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
There's no denying that he's a top top midfielder, but will he transform us that much?
Eriksen seems to have dropped into that position, and is doing pretty well so far, and 31 is no age really in today's football.
I stand by my thoughts that Hannibal, Iqbal or Mainoo could gradually slot into that position in the next two to three years.
I appreciate that your thoughts are different to mine, and you are right that ETH is a massive fan of De Jong, but he wouldn't be available until next summer, and possibly circumstances may have changed, so it will be interesting to see the outcome, all I can say is that we both want United to become a great and successful team, and it doesn't really matter whether your opinion or mine is right, as long as the outcome is a better United.

ShoePolish

Find it strange people calling him a cnut or moron for not coming. His decision, not the first and not the last to not want to come here. He's at his boyhood club, waiting to get paid out a fortune.
A bad game or a bench role doesn't make him a sunday league player.
Some around here take rejections really hard.

LoneStar

While he is a good midfielder, I feel he's become overrated on here. If he were that good, he would be the undisputed starter for Barca. Yet some (very talented) kids and an old Busquets keep him out of it.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I still find it insane how many people say they wouldn't consider their partners thoughts.

bimalos

Manchester United don't need this guy. He is just an average player and he doesn't cost that 80 million. For me, he is 30 million.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Watched a bit of him again last night, standing somewhere near the opposing penalty box looking out of place. Why the feck does he want to stay at a club that doesn't use his type of player in their system and then proceed to put him far too high up the pitch.

Just leave that dumb shithole Frenkie. No one likes Barcelona anyway.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
While he is a good midfielder, I feel he's become overrated on here. If he were that good, he would be the undisputed starter for Barca. Yet some (very talented) kids and an old Busquets keep him out of it.
It's to do with how they use him and the job they ask of him

RkkMan

Not sure he would transform the team anymore. We addressed the two glaring issues in centre midfield this summer - the absence of a progressive brain and a natural anchoring player. De Jong would have gave us both in one player and is fantastic, but the need for him is certainly not as great with the acquisitions of Eriksen and Casemiro.

Also, I would imaging Eriksen is playing in the position intended for him when he signed, and there is surely an expectation that he will perform for those next 2-3 years.
FDJ wouldn't have been two players in one. We'd still have found ourselves using Fred or McTominay next to him if he came here because he's not a natural sitting DM. Eriksen is a better long range passer but FDJ is faster, covers more ground, more press resistant and a better dribbler. Eriksen is no slouch on work rate but he gets gassed out from the 60th minute not sure he'll be able to maintain his stamina in a high press system into his mid 30s like Modric. FDJ or a player of his profile should still be a priority next year so that Eriksen can be a squad player in the 10 role or DLP
There's no denying that he's a top top midfielder, but will he transform us that much?
Eriksen seems to have dropped into that position, and is doing pretty well so far, and 31 is no age really in today's football.
I stand by my thoughts that Hannibal, Iqbal or Mainoo could gradually slot into that position in the next two to three years.
I appreciate that your thoughts are different to mine, and you are right that ETH is a massive fan of De Jong, but he wouldn't be available until next summer, and possibly circumstances may have changed, so it will be interesting to see the outcome, all I can say is that we both want United to become a great and successful team, and it doesn't really matter whether your opinion or mine is right, as long as the outcome is a better United.
De Jong's dribbling and press resistance will add a very different dimension to our midfield something he's better than Eriksen at even though the latter is a better passer. While Eriksen is no slouch at covering ground it's clear his stamina runs out around the 60th minute something that won't get better with his heart condition as he gets older he's not a Modric in that regard much as we'd all want him to be that. He can do a very good job there this season but next summer FDJ or a player of his profile should remain a priority to allow Eriksen to have lesser minutes and prolong his career competing in the #10 role or DLP role
Hannibal, Iqbal and Mainoo are talented but the latter two need at least 2yrs to physically develop while Hannibal on top of needing his temperament to tone down with maturity is still trying to find his best position as it's unclear if he's a 10 or 8. The gap between an ageing Eriksen and 3 raw youngsters is too big a gap to depend on if we'll be playing CL football just my two cents

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
There is absolutely no way legally moving would mean he’s still not entitled to that money.
Something of an oversight in his contract by his agent it would seem, but there wasn’t any mechanism to repay his deferred payment if he left the club. It’s technically future earnings because of the contract renewal, he legally isn’t owed a thing if he leaves. Depending on your viewpoint that’s either a shitty dick move by Barca or incredibly naive bordering on negligent by FDJ and his reps.

wr8_utd

:'(
He didn't have limited time in his previous season and Xavi has had faith in him and considers him a vital member. Demebele played pretty much every match after Barca threatened him with putting him in the stands back in Jan as well. FDJ has good reason to believe he will get games this season.

Bestie07

There maybe cheaper options to reinvigorate our midfield next season than splunking 80mil/350k per week on him. Maybe find a cheaper midfielder who can rotate with Eriksen and eventually replace him. I believe we will have a smaller budget next season and majority of that money should be spent on a striker.