Frenkie De Jong | Performances

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Lets hope we still are in for him and we will try again in the comings months. World class player who will immediately reform our midfield i am just afraid that next summer other big clubs like Bayern, City, Liverpool or somebody else and his signature will be hard to get maybe we can get him if we get Champions League football.

ForeverRed1

That was the performance of a man who desperately wants to stay at Barcelona. He’s fighting for his place in that team, tooth and nail. The reports that have come out recently suggest coming here wasn’t even a option, so why we waited for him all summer who knows.

considering how stupid it all was, we still did ok in the transfer window, so can’t complain really, although frenkie next to Casemiro would be a lovely midfield.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Barcelona will try again to sell Netherlands midfielder Frenkie de Jong, 25, in the January transfer window after a proposed £63m move to Manchester United fell through during the summer. (Forbes via 90min.com)

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
13.08.22. Barcelona - R.Vallecano; on in 60th minute
21.08.22. R.Sociedad - Barcelona; off in 84th minute
28.08.22. Barcelona - R.Valladolid; on in 61st minute.
03.09.22. Sevilla - Barcelona; on in 63rd minute
07.09.22. Barcelona - Plzen; played '90
10.09.22. Cadiz - Barcelona; played '90

Barcelona Griezman version? Maybe something in his contract, not to give him money they owe him? Time will tell..

Tony Clifton

Not as a like-for-like replacement. De Jong isn't a lone #6 and it shows when he's asked to play there, it's a trainwreck.
Exactly. No idea why this is so difficult to understand for some. Perhaps a wishful thinking form of projection? I don't know.

I stumbled upon that on Twitter. Nearly every data I've seen of De Jong has further cemented my perception of him. He is not a lone 6/DM, never has been and probably never will be.

Whilst he can be deployed as DM in certain systems, he just doesn't play as such. He can get away with it when partnered in a double-pivot, but DM is just not his game — whether alone or partnered.

Now…if Ten Hag intends to continue with 4-2-3-1 long-term, there are and will be better options available. Unless there is an idea of switching to 4-3-3 further down the road, we could have a Pogba situation all over again. Round pegs in square holes etc.

De Jong is not a 6.
He is a progressive and ball-carrying 8.
He is an 8.
Period.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Barcelona Griezman version? Maybe something in his contract, not to give him money they owe him? Time will tell..
Seems to me like he's playing quite a lot. They have a strong team with many midfield options so he probably does not expect to start every single game anyway.

He's never going to leave Barcelona in his prime.

We need an rvn

Looking at that he’s played nearly 3 full matches and three as a sub. With barcas midfield that seems ok to me.

I know there’s this contract / owed money issue but i very much doubt Barca had the awareness to put a clause in his re-negotiated contract when owning him £17m already to say he won’t get paid if playing less than x minutes etc.

mu4c_20le

He's their Fred, he'll get games and is a luxury rotation option. Those numbers don't justify being the second highest paid in the squad though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Exactly. No idea why this is so difficult to understand for some. Perhaps a wishful thinking form of projection? I don't know.

I stumbled upon that on Twitter. Nearly every data I've seen of De Jong has further cemented my perception of him. He is not a lone 6/DM, never has been and probably never will be.

Whilst he can be deployed as DM in certain systems, he just doesn't play as such. He can get away with it when partnered in a double-pivot, but DM is just not his game — whether alone or partnered.

Now…if Ten Hag intends to continue with 4-2-3-1 long-term, there are and will be better options available. Unless there is an idea of switching to 4-3-3 further down the road, we could have a Pogba situation all over again. Round pegs in square holes etc.

De Jong is not a 6.
He is an 8.
Period.
This is what I’ve been saying - he isn’t a deep lying playmaker, he is a roaming playmaker that can be as deep as in line with the CB’s or as far as the opposite side of the pitch.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

De Jong is not a 6.
He is an 8.
Period.
If he's not a six Robbie Savage will hate him - he goes on about number sixes every game he commentates on and has done or well over a year... drives me bonkers! Mind you, he jabbers on about number eights a bit too! Frankly, all I care about is will he improve us or not. I haven't seen enough evidence to com to a decision by ETH certainly seems to have

RkkMan

Well feck. But theres still hope, if he has the syndrome but likes money we still have a chance. He is not an ignorant slut and knows where his priorities are.
How do we have a chance when he's already the highest paid player at one of the biggest clubs in the world?
Don't think he'd leave his dream club for Utd for a similar wage

sherrinford

De Jong is not a 6.
He is an 8.
Period.
He is a 6, and is best in a double pivot - that's where he has displayed his best football. Deploying him as an 8 in a 4-3-3 would be using a round peg in a square hole - that's where he has underwhelmed and lacked consistency, and he has said it is less suitable for his game.

What about that particular stat lends any credence to your belief that he is an 8?

Donut

Well feck. But theres still hope, if he has the syndrome but likes money we still have a chance. He is not an ignorant slut and knows where his priorities are.
If he dumps Mikky we have a chance, otherwise forget about it.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They will probably try to sell him again in January, given his wages. I have a weird feeling he ends up at City or PSG.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
They will probably try to sell him again in January, given his wages. I have a weird feeling he ends up at City or PSG.
He can twerk for his ex-lover there then. Maybe Guardiola can simulate a barca like atmosphere in Manchester and he can decorate his bedroom nude photos of Cruyff and Messi.

Pique can come visit and stay in the guest bedroom with his fiance.

#00F

Supports
Barca
he’s definitely better than dinosaur busquets.
Unfortunately no, this would have solved a lot of problems for us. Busquets don't have the legs, but FDJ doesn't have the defensive discipline to play in Busquets role. Xavi has shown he will bench the old guys if there's someone better (Alba/Pique). Gavi is just a better fit even though he is just 18. I see him like a little bulldog fighting for everything.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
His girlfriend absolutely loves living in Barcelona, Barca is his dream club. Always have been. Xavi evidently still plays him a lot, and why wouldn’t he? Xavi has always liked De Jong.

We can try all we want (and so can the Barca board), but he simply won’t come.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
According to the Daily Mirror: "Manchester United reportedly believe that only their own 'indecisiveness' scuppered a blockbuster deal for Frenkie de Jong in the summer - and that the Dutchman would have joined them, despite claims to the contrary."

Quite a few people here , including me, were telling them that about three days after the window opened! New faces, same old feckwits in fancy suits

Judas

Open to offers
Yes that Daily Mirror is very very convincing, as is all their reporting, clearly a factual article that should be taken as gospel, even without much logic being present in it at all.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just don't think he fancied it, lads. If it was us, Chelsea, City, Bayern... whoever. He's loving life at Barcelona, and he's on a fat wedge. It is what it is.

Our job now is to find an equivalent sort of midfielder with the same sort of strengths and profile to get in.

Judas

Open to offers
He didn't want the move, and he's clearly got what he actually wanted. No pay cut, and he's still playing for Barca.

I'd hope we go nowhere near him now to be honest, he's not the sort of character we want, simply because he doesn't really want to be here.

OrcaFat

He is a 6, and is best in a double pivot - that's where he has displayed his best football. Deploying him as an 8 in a 4-3-3 would be using a round peg in a square hole - that's where he has underwhelmed and lacked consistency, and he has said it is less suitable for his game.

What about that particular stat lends any credence to your belief that he is an 8?
I think he’s more of a 6-8 hybrid. A wandering, playmaking member of the double pivot. Probably more of a 6 than an 8 in terms of his natural average pitch position but, as ETH says, he is “away too often” to play as a lone 6.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He didn't want the move, and he's clearly got what he actually wanted. No pay cut, and he's still playing for Barca.

I'd hope we go nowhere near him now to be honest, he's not the sort of character we want, simply because he doesn't really want to be here.
I imagine he will get games for their world famous basketball team.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
According to the Daily Mirror: "Manchester United reportedly believe that only their own 'indecisiveness' scuppered a blockbuster deal for Frenkie de Jong in the summer - and that the Dutchman would have joined them, despite claims to the contrary."

Quite a few people here , including me, were telling them that about three days after the window opened! New faces, same old feckwits in fancy suits
The media have it easy!

Strootman's Finger

De Jong is not a 6.
He is an 8.
Period.
He's Ten Hag's #1 priority.
Period.

Chief123

De Jong is not a 6.
He is an 8.
Period.
He’s not an 8 that you would pay 85m euros for. His best position is at 6 but with energy around him.

The stat can be looked at differently in that he is a very unique no.6 in that he doesn’t need to get rid of the ball whenever he receives it because he is comfortable beating a press and travelling out from the back with the ball. That will naturally mean he spends longer with the ball than most no. 6’s.

That’s why he’s a unique 6 that ETH has been chasing so hard for.

RedOrange

*snip*

Nearly every data I've seen of De Jong has further cemented my perception of him. He is not a lone 6/DM, never has been and probably never will be.

De Jong is not a 6.
He is an 8.
Period.

I think we can be fairly certain that Ten Hag is not buying De Jong to play as a lone defensive mid...

NoLogo

It must be I also have no other explanation for why some people still seem to think it. Every video I have seen where someone analyzed him they all agreed his best ability is his progressive ball carrying. He isn't completely useless defensively, but his strength isn't the defensive part of his game, but progressing the ball up the field.