Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Well, we are guilty of believing those tweets about United dressing room also. What changed?
True, i think a little bit of common sense is needed when weeding out reports though. We definitely knew with United that things were being leaked from someone in the locker room though.

Not saying this isn't true, but it does seem a bit opinionish

dove

Aye, “viewed from the dressing room”. What does that even mean? Maybe he’s spoken to a source, a senior player like Busquests who says “United doesn’t seem very attractive right now”, and what the feck does that tell us? :lol:

It certainly seems more attractive than being a CN and treated like shit on Barcelona’s shoe.
Maybe to you but not him, don't need to get that sensitive about it, he clearly loves the club.

Maybe to you but not him, don't need to get that sensitive about it, he clearly loves the club.
We’ll see how much he loves them.

Beckham loved United, adored United, like feck he’d have accepted being treated like this.

The “love” card is being bizarrely and massively overplayed on this one. I believe we’re this far into the saga because despite “loving Barcelona”, he has something called self respect.

Plenty of players loved United, but wanted bigger and better wages every time their contracts were up for renewal. Love of a football club isn’t really “love” in any true sense of the word.

The dream club bollocks makes me laugh though, I mean, just because you’re together with your dream woman or man doesn’t mean you just say “ah well, she’s me dream, I know I caught her sucking off that lad behind the pub, and it’s the third time this month, but she’s me dream innit”.
It’s like pretending that because something originally is a dream, that self respect no longer exists. Bizarre.
Dreams can quickly let you down, and cease to be a dream.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

feck me Dermot, you’ve used a lot of words there to say to say absolutely jack shit except some wild claims about De Jong and Ten Hag not really having a great relationship, despite all evidence to the contrary :lol:

And things like”viewed from the Barcelona dressing room”, well knobhead, viewed from any place on Earth, Barcelona looks like an absolute shitshow, so there’s always that.
It’s a wild claim. Frenkie have said himself that he loved playing under Erik ten Hag. It’s not certain they had a great relationship, but if he loved playing under him, I would rather think they did.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Although there seems to be no spanish on their so not sure its any match going fans
Most of the match fans at Barca are more middle class casuals than die hard fans. My mate lived there for three years and went to a lot of games (Palace fan here), said the atmosphere is one of the worst he's experienced.

Teja

I really really hope we don't end up paying whatever Barca owe him on the contract he signed after deferring his wages (400k p/w on his new deal?)

Our wage structure, to the extent it exists, puts him ~300k p/w (~16M / yr)

At this point I want us to pretend to walk away from the deal to make both FdJ and Barca sweat. We're being taken too much for granted here.

Play the Barca game, leak to Luckhurst, get EtH to stop taking calls from Frenkie, start chasing Tielemans etc

Trequarista10

If he took pay cuts, not once, but twice.. Willing to play CB, willing to be shafted to this extend, dude probably really really love barca. Maybe we all should just move on.
He didn't take a pay cut, he restructured his wages.

What you're suggesting is like saying the bank most really really love you for reducing the cost of your mortgage payments (and increasing the interest rate and extending the length of mortgage). Aww true love.

dove

We’ll see how much he loves them.

Beckham loved United, adored United, like feck he’d have accepted being treated like this.

The “love” card is being bizarrely and massively overplayed on this one. I believe we’re this far into the saga because despite “loving Barcelona”, he has something called self respect.

Plenty of players loved United, but wanted bigger and better wages every time their contracts were up for renewal. Love of a football club isn’t really “love” in any true sense of the word.

The dream club bollocks makes me laugh though, I mean, just because you’re together with your dream woman or man doesn’t mean you just say “ah well, she’s me dream, I know I caught her sucking off that lad behind the pub, and it’s the third time this month, but she’s me dream innit”.
It’s like pretending that because something originally is a dream, that self respect no longer exists. Bizarre.
Dreams can quickly let you down, and cease to be a dream.
Never said any of that. People here just get way over sensitive when they hear stuff like "move to United is not that attractive" or that he would be willing to lower his wages to stay at Barca. Both of those are very likely true. I think we still have decent chances of signing him but let's not pretend we are not his fallback option.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Does he truly love the club, or does he "love" the money he's owed and isn't willing to sacrifice that by saying things the club won't like?

If he truly loved the club and wanted to stay, then a pay cut and letting go of owed monies would be a simple choice for him. He'd accept it, likely without question like pique etc. I think there's more to this than there seems

Never said any of that. People here just get way over sensitive when they hear stuff like "move to United is not that attractive" or that he would be willing to lower his wages to stay at Barca. Both of those are very likely true. I think we still have decent chances of signing him but let's not pretend we are not his fallback option.
Except the second bolded one isn’t just “likely” not true, it’s factually not true.
Even in Barcelona’s biggest hour of need he was only prepared to defer his wages and not lower them by even one Euro, hence the problem they have now. And by all reports of anyone who is considered tier one, he is not even prepared to take a meeting to discuss the lowering of his wages. The whole point that Barcelona have negotiated with United is because he’s is in fact not prepared to do what you were saying.

AndySmith1990

Does he truly love the club, or does he "love" the money he's owed and isn't willing to sacrifice that by saying things the club won't like?

If he truly loved the club and wanted to stay, then a pay cut and letting go of owed monies would be a simple choice for him. He'd accept it, likely without question like pique etc. I think there's more to this than there seems
That's not really fair though. I love where I work, but I wouldn't accept a pay cut to stay there. At the end of the day we all work for money, the loving where you work bit is secondary

dove

Well, he is being owed a lot of money and I would expect he wants majority of it back, just like everyone would. Letting go of nearly €20m is not a simple choice.

OmarUnited4ever

I think he loves Barcelona.

and I also think he would not want to lose money too.

Both are not mutually exclusive.

But, we only hear in reports Barca's side of things, De Jong and his agent kept their mouths shut, they said nothing, either directly or indirectly ( I think the recent tweets from Dermot are still fed by Barca, not De Jong).

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
That's not really fair though. I love where I work, but I wouldn't accept a pay cut to stay there. At the end of the day we all work for money, the loving where you work bit is secondary
Exactly. I love where I work, I always have, but if they were to withhold my wages, or tell me i need to take a pay cut, I'd tell them flat out there's no chance. There's no way I'd ever work for less that I agreed too when I was employed.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I think he loves Barcelona.

and I also think he would not want to lose money too.

Both are not mutually exclusive.

But, we only hear in reports Barca's side of things, De Jong and his agent kept their mouths shut, they said nothing, either directly or indirectly ( I think the recent tweets from Dermot are still fed by Barca, not De Jong).
Exactly, all we hear is what Barca want us to hear. They want to put out this image as though all players absolutely love the club and that they're all clamouring to play there. May be true to an extent, but Barca definitely exaggerate it.

When de Jong finally leaves they'll likely say he's not the type of player who they want playing there, they want only dedicated, loyal players who truly love the club etc. That's my opinion anyway. They'll say he was money driven etc

OmarUnited4ever

Exactly, all we hear is what Barca want us to hear. They want to put out this image as though all players absolutely love the club and that they're all clamouring to play there. May be true to an extent, but Barca definitely exaggerate it.

When de Jong finally leaves they'll likely say he's not the type of player who they want playing there, they want only dedicated, loyal players who truly love the club etc. That's my opinion anyway. They'll say he was money driven etc
They can say what they want but no one will believe much of what they espouse anyways except for their fans.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They can say what they want but no one will believe much of what they espouse anyways except for their fans.
For those looking outside in, then I think they see what's going on. For fans, they're likely going to believe the club regardless. Saying that, you get fans like that at all clubs, they'll believe anything the club says etc

Withnail

If he took pay cuts, not once, but twice.. Willing to play CB, willing to be shafted to this extend, dude probably really really love barca. Maybe we all should just move on.
If he was going to take a paycut to stay don't you think he would have already done so by now. The only logical conclusion is he's holding out for a reasonable pay-off from Barca.

Redcy

Well, he is being owed a lot of money and I would expect he wants majority of it back, just like everyone would. Letting go of nearly €20m is not a simple choice.
Well it would be likely he would need to give up his original 17m wages, plus another 8m per year of his standard wages. That’s around 40m. I don’t love my work enough to give up 2.5 years of wages. Of course playing football is a passion thing though, and if I was playing for united, and saf comes up to me and says will you take a huge pay cut and forgo what you are owed I might say “sure I love the club”, if he then turns around and says yeah you will now have to move back to lb as we bought Ronaldo, I might say ok, and then he says also I’m buying evra as my first choice lb. At some point you have to question how important you are. I still would have to think about it even if Real Madrid are offering to make me a galactico. I do see the difference to some extent

SoCross

Really hope we have a contingency plan though. Going into the new season with just Eriksen as the addition to midfield is very risky.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Really hope we have a contingency plan though. Going into the new season with just Eriksen as the addition to midfield is very risky.
That would be a disaster. Might as well resign ourselves to another 5th or 6th place finish with that midfield

Marwood

Exactly. I love where I work, I always have, but if they were to withhold my wages, or tell me i need to take a pay cut, I'd tell them flat out there's no chance. There's no way I'd ever work for less that I agreed too when I was employed.
It's not the same guys because of the level of money involved.

If you were taking a cut but still earning millions then I think you'd at least consider staying where you love.

Redcy

On the other side of this if FdJ was sold on taking half his wages it will only be a day or two before we know. There is nothing else to discuss surely at that point, you just release to the press saying you want to stay and are excited about the new team so I’ll take the massive pay cut cause I’m an absolute cuxk to Laporta

spaceboyRSA

It’s not an either or choice. You can love a club and still want the money that club owes you.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

If you were taking a cut but still earning millions then I think you'd at least consider staying where you love.
If you believe you're worth more than what you're being paid, and take a pay cut so that a new guy can come in and earn a lot more than you, I think you'd be annoyed.

He's told he's highly valued by the club yet they want him to take a 50% pay cut and play him out of his favourite position... doesn't sound like being valued too much to me

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Too many fixated on ’he loves the club’ here. Don’t forget it’s also been reported he is majorly pissed off with the club for the way they have handled this whole saga, for leaking his contract to the press and no doubt for the constant bad mouthing and bashing of him in the media. He’s known for months the board want him out, he’s unlikely to stay where is feels unwanted. In that scenario he could find himself under significant psychological pressure and mental distress, especially if these antics we’ve seen by Barca escalate. The common sense action would be take his money or as much as he can squeeze from Barca and run. This is what I believe is/will happen.

Redcy

That would be a disaster. Might as well resign ourselves to another 5th or 6th place finish with that midfield
I don’t think that will happen, but this was always the problem with going out and buying players before you knew if a key component of your style was coming. If we have to go buy a replacement then Erik send doesn’t really fit with say neves/sangare/Ruiz meaning we will have to buy two players.

Plant0x84

Ten Hag isn’t an idiot. He knows what he’s doing and how far to push this. He’ll also know when to quit and who the next target is, and I’m sure he has communicated this to the board!

Withnail

You think the fact that he's potentially giving up 17m is ok because he's already earning a lot? It's 17m! It's also what was previously agreed and is in his contract. Deferred maybe but I wouldn't willingly take a paycut for any employer.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Too many fixated on ’he loves the club’ here. Don’t forget it’s also been reported he is majorly pissed off with the club for the way they have handled this whole saga, for leaking his contract to the press and no doubt for the constant bad mouthing and bashing of him in the media. He’s known for months the board want him out, he’s unlikely to stay where is feels unwanted. In that scenario he could find himself under significant psychological pressure and mental distress, especially if these antics we’ve seen by Barca escalate. The common sense action would be take his money or as much as he can squeeze from Barca and run. This is what I believe is/will happen.
I needed this :D

Plant0x84

Don’t be so over dramatic. Our team already looks more structured, with a plan of play in place and players knowing their roles and exactly what is expected of them.
Plus you never know, Spurs could still be spursy and do spursy things, Liverpool might falter and Chelsea look in disarray.
The World Cup break will surely impact the season too so the outcome of this season is far from a foregone conclusion.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Most reports throughout this saga have said Barca have never approached him or his agent about taking a wage reduction. So until now there's been no choice for FDJ to make. Obviously that may have changed with the tweets a couple of days ago saying he had met Xavi and they were satisfied with the chat, or the alternative story that they were due to meet (which was then never followed up). Depends if you want to believe those more recent tweets from Spain, if not then it seems he's never been offered a new contract with a salary reduction, making the discussion above pretty moot.

Marwood

You think the fact that he's potentially giving up 17m is ok because he's already earning a lot? It's 17m! It's also what was previously agreed and is in his contract. Deferred maybe but I wouldn't willingly take a paycut for any employer.
Like I said, you can't compare it to your own salary situation. It's a different world. You dropping from 40k to 30k would have a real impact on your life. You pretty much have to move jobs then, not much choice.

De Jong dropping to a level where he's still a multi millionaire is different. It at least allows the person to stay where they apparently love.

I've barely followed this but he's not exactly giving up the £17 million either is he?

I'm sure extremely rich people turn down opportunities to earn even more money all the time. That's the luxury they have. They can chose to earn less and do what they love.

It's simply not a comparable situation to yours or mine.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That article had so many words but next to no new information. Locker room sources is only the new addition. Sports journalism is so easy

Status
Not open for further replies.