Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womp

idiot
To pick and choose which ones you believe and don't believe to suit your own whim is laughably naive.
Seems to be the case here. Was it not that Gerard Romero bloke who said that Ten Hag and FDJ were in talks constantly, which is accepted as gospel here, but his other reports that Frenkie wants to stay at Barca are seen as 'Barca propaganda'

It might just be that he may not want to join us.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
There is something about him which I am starting to dislike (based on nothing really), but he really seems like that very arrogant guy at school. Someone who has spent his entire life having smoke blown up his backside and believing his own hype. He is a good player, don't get me wrong but he's not some sort of transcendent player who will transform our team. He is very much a piece of the puzzle not the puzzle. We are not trying to sign Cantona.

Now I get that he will help the manager as he has played with him before and will work for the system he wishes to use. But if he doesn't come, he doesn't come. It's no big deal tbh. I also have concerns about him physically, looks really limited and lacking in physical prowess which, in La Liga, to look weak in La Liga is a bit off.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Give it time. That's the trajectory this saga is on now. Choose to live in denial if you wish.
I'll believe what I want to believe and you can believe what you want.

All tier 1 sources for United have said nothing. Tier 1 for Barca have said exactly what Barca want them to say.

People are melting down over one report and taking it as gospel truth. Yes the Athletic might be reliable, but they're not always going to get everything spot on are they? But because I decide to question the report I'm in denial?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The chairman of the Dutch players union has said FifPro should get involved because Barca is blackmailing him. The funny part is that this dude is basing this of the same sources as this thread.
Are you sure?

And if he decides to stay without agreeing new terms, the abuse and alienation he’ll get will surely be moving toward unprecedented levels. You have to wonder how that would unfold.

Judas

Open to offers
Seems to be the case here. Was it not that Gerard Romero bloke who said that Ten Hag and FDJ were in talks constantly, which is accepted as gospel here, but his other reports that Frenkie wants to stay at Barca are seen as 'Barca propaganda'

It might just be that he may not want to join us.
Everyone and their dog knows he wants to stay at Barca? How is that still used as a reason that this won’t happen. Rightfully or wrongly, him wanting to stay means feck all in this saga really.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Suv666

At the end of the day if he doesn't want to come I'm fine with that. Don't want a player who cries about Barcelona all day.

I'm also fine with buying no alternatives. No one in the market seems like a significant upgrade. I'd rather we be responsible with our money and go for the right player instead of being saddled with a liability whom we struggle to sell 3 years down the line.

Dazzmondo

The amount of denial in relation to this deal is impressive. Player never wanted to join as has been repeatedly stated from the beginning but people simply regurgitate the same "why would we still be trying to sign him if he wasn't interested in joining" comment ad nauseum :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There is something about him which I am starting to dislike (based on nothing really), but he really seems like that very arrogant guy at school. Someone who has spent his entire life having smoke blown up his backside and believing his own hype. He is a good player, don't get me wrong but he's not some sort of transcendent player who will transform our team. He is very much a piece of the puzzle not the puzzle. We are not trying to sign Cantona.

Now I get that he will help the manager as he has played with him before and will work for the system he wishes to use. But if he doesn't come, he doesn't come. It's no big deal tbh. I also have concerns about him physically, looks really limited and lacking in physical prowess which, in La Liga, to look weak in La Liga is a bit off.
At his full potential, he actually is. Whether that’s realised remains to be seen.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I mean, they're not that unlikely scenarios are they?

Barcelona is a step down from Utd, that's the reality of it. Plus it's his dream club.

Why on earth would De Jong - or anyone -choose Europa over CL?

If recent comments are to be believed, he enjoys working with Xavi and maybe his relationship with both him and ETH has a similar pull.

I get that his is all speculative - but isn't everything that anyone's posting either here or largely elsewhere?
Well he has had five / six seasons of it so it's not like he hasn't played it.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The amount of denial in relation to this deal is impressive. Player never wanted to join as has been repeatedly stated from the beginning but people simply regurgitate the same "why would we still be trying to sign him if he wasn't interested in joining" comment ad nauseum :lol:
When has the player said he doesn't want to join? Should be easy for you to find seeing as though he's been stating it repeatedly

Womp

idiot
Everyone and their dog knows he wants to stay at Barca? How is that still used as a reason that this won’t happen. Rightfully or wrongly, him wanting to stay means feck all in this saga really.
It means everything. You can't force the bloke to feck off. He can stay on his current wage, he can take a pay cut, he can sign elsewhere. This idea that he has no option but to leave Barca and come here is clutching.

mu4c_20le

That's the first time I've heard him called arrogant.

As for overrated, well he seems to be like the prime Matic people always long for, the way he brings a calmness to the pitch when in possession and setting the tempo for the match.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

That's the first time I've heard him called arrogant.

As for overrated, well he seems to be like the prime Matic people always long for, the way he brings a calmness to the pitch when in possession and setting the tempo for the match.
I dunno, just have that sense tbh. I did say it was based on nothing but just a sense.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Do people honestly expect the player or his agent to come out and say “I can’t wait to get away from this mess! They’ve really fecked me over” or something similar?

if he opens his mouth it’ll contractually be perceived as him wanting to leave and he will forgo his bonuses etc

avgp_1

It's obvious we are not his first choice. It's been Barca all along, and if not he would rather wait for one of the bigger clubs like City, Bayern, PSG etc to come for him.

He is no hurry, he will play the World Cup anyway no matter which position Barca plays him in.

House Mkhitaryan

What has Frenkie said? The article everyone is losing their mind over does not even attribute anything to him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They did give up Messi to be fair.
Except Messi
Well that was probably more of an economic decision as they could not afford paying him €100m a year anymore. But from registering point of view they were able to register all players they brought last year despite everyone getting excited they wouldn't initially.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
To be fair it's a convenient excuse to use when a player is looking at a move from a CL to a EL club.

CL is the elite competition, where the best want to be. The thought that any player may want to move to a club that is in the EL is just unthinkable to most reporters. When a move isn't progressing its usually the CL reason that's used from what I've noticed.

He could go to Chelsea, play CL this season then get EL next year if Chelsea finish 5th. Is he going to hand in a transfer request if that happens?

Dazzmondo

When has the player said he doesn't want to join? Should be easy for you to find seeing as though he's been stating it repeatedly

Literally 30 mins ago :lol: Also pretty much every report for the last month and a half has emphasised that he doesn't want to leave Barcelona, but don't let that bother you. Continue to dream by all means

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's played in it, for sure, but going through the seasons he's had at a top level, he's never had a season starting in the Europa. Ajax failed to qualify a couple of times, but he's never had guaranteed Europa in July before.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

He doesn’t want to come.
Funnily enough this was always the line from Spain wasn't it?

The line from England, via the Manchester press pack, has always been that United were confident it will happen, its all about monies owed blah, blah, blah. However, the press in Spain has been categorical that De Jong doesn't want to join Man Utd pretty much from the get go.

I don't blame United for trying to get De Jong. I imagine Ten Hag has told the club that De Jong could be crucial to making his system a success. Lord knows De Jong's a much better connecting midfielder than anyone currently at the club.

All things considered De Jong probably doesn't want to leave. A lot of players have been forced out of clubs before. Wesley Sneijder didn't want to leave Madrid, got forced out won a treble with Inter a year later. I can appreciate why United would be patient if the club feels, ultimately, we'll be the only out for De Jong in the end. Whether his heart is in it or not we need his skillset. So I get it...

...I just hope that we also have an appropriate plan B.

This is where I think he who shall not be named (or lese you risk derailing the whole thread) had a point.

When scouting players we need to identify people for whom Man Utd is the next logical step in their careers. Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, in each case United was the obvious choice and an obvious bigger stage than the one they played on last season. Its similar to the way Sir Alex did it when building his last great side: Van der Saar from Fulham, Vidic from Red Star, Evra from Monaco, Carrick from Spurs, Ronaldo from Sporting, Rooney from Everton, Saha from Fulham. All of those players saw it as a step up for them, even though they were joining the club at the time when Mourinho's Chelsea was at its strongest, cos of the clubs they joined from.

Contrast this with trying to get players out of Barcelona...even if we think United are bigger there's always going to be a lot of players who don't. Especially when we haven't won a league for 10 years.

I'm hoping, at the end of the day, Barca tries to shove De Jong out of the door and we're there to scoop him up. However, I really do hope we've got a plan B in mind.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He really really isn't. He's a system player. As soon as the system doesn't work in his favour his level drops massively.
That’s not a statement with any value. System players are also all-time greats. And systems are catered to [some] players to enable them to thrive - there is no set rule a player has to be universally eclectic to make a huge mark on the game and in history.

Chief123

Do people honestly expect the player or his agent to come out and say “I can’t wait to get away from this mess! They’ve really fecked me over” or something similar?

if he opens his mouth it’ll contractually be perceived as him wanting to leave and he will forgo his bonuses etc
@golden_blunder After todays developments, is it possible we can call you a piece of sh1t in an endearing loving manner without getting banned? :D

Golden Bunda Turd :D

AndySmith1990

How does it mean feck all? He's a Barca player under contract. If he doesn't want to leave he doesn't have to. And if he does leave he doesn't have to join us.

mu4c_20le

It's obvious we are not his first choice. It's been Barca all along, and if not he would rather wait for one of the bigger clubs like City, Bayern, PSG etc to come for him.

He is no hurry, he will play the World Cup anyway no matter which position Barca plays him in.
Yeah, looking like the di Maria saga again, let's hope it has the same ending at least. The manager was our only trump card, and that article just pissed all over it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:lol: I can't believe posters actually believe United would ever confirm that De Jong doesn't want to sign.

There's unreal delusion on show in this thread. The writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Now it's time to start asking what the plan actually is because the weakest and possibly most important part of the team is going to be neglected once again. I wouldn't have minded if we have some of our youngsters a shot but it looks like they're all being loaned out.

Darlington Padgett

Fair points but are Barca really that much better than United? Of the 2 clubs only one was knocked out in the group stages of last seasons CL and it wasn't United.

I agree Barca offer more of a guarantee of CL football but that is as much a function of the weakness of the opposition in La Liga, they would really have to screw up not to get top 4 as the drop off from themselves and Real Madrid to the rest of the league is enormous. Would actually be quite funny to see the Saudis rock up and buy a couple of La Liga sides so they can experience the joys of oil clubs as we have over the last 15 years.

He may like Xavi but even last season he was complaining that he was not being played in his preferred role and this was impacting his performances and now Xavi is telling him not only will he not be the deepest midfielder but he won't be in midfield at all as he is know a back up CB. I doubt he is enjoying that very much.

Two things we know for certain

1. Barca have no intention of keeping him on his current salary
2. Frenkie has no intention of taking a pay cut

It all points to a divorce however slow and messy and the whole issue of does he then come to United ultimately comes down to the fact that nobody else is actually interested in buying him right now no matter how hard Barca fluffer accounts try to wish Chelsea interest into existence.
Dembele, Raphina, Lewandowski, Frenkie, Pedri, Busquets, Kessie, Araujo will definitely start for us. How many of our players start for them? Sancho?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

Literally 30 mins ago :lol: Also pretty much every report for the last month and a half has emphasised that he doesn't want to leave Barcelona, but don't let that bother you. Continue to dream by all means
And that's from the player himself is it? Has he explicitly told that reporter he doesn't want to come?

He hunted that particular guy out and said hey, I just needed to find you to tell you that I don't want to go to United and play EL. If this was genuine news, it would be picked up by everyone now as its pretty big news to be fair.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

I suppose the option would be to just ignore the thread.

If I believed there was zero hope this will ever happen I just wouldnt bother reading about it

Status
Not open for further replies.