Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen86

Cut you losses over £17m. I cant find anything that says he is not legally owed it, I can find stuff saying Barc want him to accept £6m, that says to me that yes Barc do legally owe him the money.
If he’s legally owed it, then it shouldn’t make any difference whether he’s at Barca or another club? Legal proceedings would surely be an entirely separate process.

DevilRed

He contractually agreed to take a pay deferral and now has to contractual agree to take a pay cut if he wants to stay, or he can just stay on his current contract and not play for Barcelona. I very much doubt there’s anyway he seems any payments and he knows it
He agreed to take a pay deferral and now they are trying to force him out the door so he gets nothing. Hence why unless they come to a reasonable settlement, he is threatening to stay (at least publicly). He has NEVER contractually agreed to take a pay cut if he stays. Nor can barcelona do anything about it. If he stays, they will need to pay him his 80 odd million euros.

You very much doubt he sees any payments but at the same time messi, pique etc. are seeing plenty.

There have already been rumours that barcelona offered him 7m euros. The end game is near.

Chief123

Cut you losses over £17m. I cant find anything that says he is not legally owed it, I can find stuff saying Barc want him to accept £6m, that says to me that yes Barc do legally owe him the money.
If he’s legally owed it, then it shouldn’t make any difference whether he’s at Barca or another club? Legal proceedings would surely be an entirely separate process.
He may or may not be legally owed it. I’m constantly seeing differing views on this.

However, Barca may still be offering him a lump sum even if he isn’t legally owed it in order to get him to leave the club. Paying a verbal promise.

Castia

The weirdest thing for me during all of this is their willingness to just pay his wages on let him carry on at Barce. What I mean is he's on a reported 300k-400k a week contract and has been a target for united for around 13 weeks, so they've paid him a minimum £4m in wages over this summer...if they knew he was going to be sold that's a ridiculous amount of money to be paying a player they already owe 15m+.

Why they didn't push for him to go earlier in the window is beyond me, instead they took him on tour and played him as a CB.

Siorac

What I mean is he's on a reported 300k-400k a week contract and has been a target for united for around 13 weeks now so they've paid him minimum £4m in wages over this summer.
Bold of you to assume that Barcelona actually pay his wages.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He contractually agreed to take a pay deferral and now has to contractual agree to take a pay cut if he wants to stay, or he can just stay on his current contract and not play for Barcelona. I very much doubt there’s anyway he seems any payments and he knows it
No, now he contractually has a massive pay rise until 2026 and Barcelona don't want to pay it.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The weirdest thing for me during all of this is their willingness to just pay his wages on let him carry on at Barce. What I mean is he's on a reported 300k-400k a week contract and has been a target for united for around 13 weeks, so they've paid him a minimum £4m in wages over this summer...if they knew he was going to be sold that's a ridiculous amount of money to be paying a player they already owe 15m+.

Why they didn't push for him to go earlier in the window is beyond me, instead they took him on tour and played him as a CB.
There’s a reason why they’re in a shitload of debt.

JPRouve

Scout
Exactly, so if he doesn’t want to be forced out the door he has to agree to a pay cut.
No, no one can force him out of the door, that's what his actual contract means. Why are you even trying to spin something that is blatantly wrong?

crossy1686

career ending
No, no one can force him out of the door, that's what his actual contract means. Why are you even trying to spin something that is blatantly wrong?
I’m not trying to spin anything, they’ve told him to leave allegedly, they’re playing him as back up CB and they want him to take a pay cut. If that’s not being forced out I don’t know what is

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yup, no one can force him out, if they did, they'd be up for constructive dismissal i'd imagine.
They could make his life difficult legally, which i imagine they would do, but it depends on how strong he is to deal with it all. He could just ride it all out until the end of his contract if he really wanted too

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

What choice do they have?

Transfers are 95% about what the player wants to do. All the talk about what Barcelona wants is largely a distraction. They've made it abundantly clear from the beginning that they'd like to sell him. But every club has lots of players they would like to sell and yet few transfers actually happen.

It seems obvious at this point that Barca believe FDJ will stay, probably because he has told them all along that he doesn't want to leave. Why would they activate the "third lever" to register the new signings if they thought they were likely to sell FDJ and therefore not to have to activate that lever?

NZT-One

Exactly, so if he doesn’t want to be forced out the door he has to agree to a pay cut.
Thats not how contracts work. The club have to honor the contract, will have to pay what he is owed due to the contract. (Lets pretend there are no hidden doors or clauses in that piece of paper). All Barcelona can do, is spinning him as the greedy bad guy, who puts his own money over the success of the club. And they could have him sit on the ranks the whole time. That scenario isn't great for either the club nor the player, which should have been somewhat on an angle to negotiate from. But as of now, it looks like both sides do not give way. All United can do is sit around and hope. Or ask Barcelona how much of a payment FDJ wants and put in on the price so Barca can pay him to end the whole thing.

Thats the situation as it is right now. If that is reason to be optimistic or pessimistic is up to you.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not trying to spin anything, they’ve told him to leave allegedly, they’re playing him as back up CB and they want him to take a pay cut. If that’s not being forced out I don’t know what is
You claimed that he has to contractually agree on a pay cut in order to stay, that's totally wrong and it doesn't even makes sense logically or legally.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Thats not how contracts work. The club have to honor the contract, will have to pay what he is owed due to the contract. (Lets pretend there are no hidden doors or clauses in that piece of paper). All Barcelona can do, is spinning him as the greedy bad guy, who puts his own money over the success of the club. And they could have him sit on the ranks the whole time. That scenario isn't great for either the club nor the player, which should have been somewhat on an angle to negotiate from. But as of now, it looks like both sides do not give way. All United can do is sit around and hope. Or ask Barcelona how much of a payment FDJ wants and put in on the price so Barca can pay him to end the whole thing.

Thats the situation as it is right now. If that is reason to be optimistic or pessimistic is up to you.
Read up on Spanish employment law. There is a clause that allows Barca to impose a pay cut - not straightforward but they could if pushed into it.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
you literally can’t make him take a pay cut and you can’t “force him out” look at bale at Madrid.

Absolutely nothing to stop dejong doing a bale and just sitting out his contract laughing at the money he’s paid. He has a contract for x amount of years at x a week and no amount of wanting will change that.

I would be absolutely disgusted if United tried to treat a player like this, he deferred his wages to help Barcelona out now they want him to leave so they don’t have to pay it. Trying to short change dejong while spending left right and centre on new players, it’s just mental.

NZT-One

Read up on Spanish employment law. There is a clause that allows Barca to impose a pay cut - not straightforward but they could if pushed into it.
Mate, I actually have a legal background but I'd be heavily against trying to figure out legal frameworks in different jurisdictions without serious knowledge. Thats not me saying, you are wrong, but if there is such a thing, Barca could be even more relaxed about the situation. And if there is such a thing, I'm pretty sure, the employee would have to be compensated in a certain way. For that to work, I guess, Barca would have to picture themselves as incapable of paying his wages due to unforeseen financial issues able to endanger the club (i.e. the company as an employer for many people), but how are they supposed to do that when paying millions for other players.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The closer we get to the start of the season the more pressure Barcelona will have to put on FDJ to leave. I can’t see them registering all the players they want and buying in more (as reported) without his sale as no other player will command as high a fee and relieve as much off the wage bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.