Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_cliff

You forgot the summer of felleini?
This would be worse. We had a title winning team in the previous season and kept all of our players, I still had the expectation and optimism.

This is finishing 6th and somehow coming back from our transfer window with a worse squad.

croadyman

This would be worse. We had a title winning team in the previous season and kept all of our players, I still had the expectation and optimism.

This is finishing 6th and somehow coming back from our transfer window with a worse squad.

Yeah we have done very little in response to our worst league finish since 2014

Red the Bear

Something less generic

To be honest i think a bit of depends on whether any of our new purchases are gonna end up as long term options or not, for now though I still can't agree, the cracks were still there back in 2013, what followed was to me a disaster.

the_cliff

You don’t think he’d want to leave Wolves no? Interesting. Is he well settled there?
He was crying at the last game of last season saying goodbye, any offer from any club in European football and he's out of there.

TheReligion

Abusive
If he were to move which he surely will by next summer I have always seen him going to Spain.

I don't think he would be desperate to come here. Although 'desperate' could be taken more than one way.
Why would he not be desperate to move from Wolves to United?

the_cliff

To be honest i think a bit of depends on whether any of our new purchases are gonna end up as long term options or not, for now though I still can't agree, the cracks were still there back in 2013, what followed was to me a disaster.
I agree it was a terrible transfer window in hindsight. The thing is I don't think anyone expected what followed, if it was down to the shock of no Fergie or the players downing tools I just remember being optimistic for the season as for any season under Fergie. We even started well iirc winning the community shield and then scoring 4 goals in our PL opener.

This is completely different, If we don't get FDJ and the fact that the Ronaldo drama isn't solved just gives me no hope that we can even mount a top 4 challenge. Don't get me wrong I think ETH is an incredible manager, it's just the board have let us down far too many times and so far this window despite new personnel it's been a stinker, we're giving our new manager a knife in a gunfight. This is as previously mentioned coming off a season finishing 6th not a title winning campaign.

Irwin99

Bit of an unpopular opinion here, so don’t shoot me. I know there’s some major meltdowns about Neves being the alternative.

I honestly don’t believe the gap between FDJ and Neves is as big as the feeling here seems to be. Having watched both play quite a lot, I don’t believe Neves is as bad as some think and I don’t think FDJ is as good as most believe.

Ultimately, we are getting FDJ to primarily dictate the tempo and play from a deep position and transition the ball back to front consistently. This is something Neves can 100% do. In fact, I personally believe Neves’ range of short and long passing is better than FDJ. I also think Neves is good enough against the press to be composed in possession and tight situations.

FDJ does have attributes such as being more agile and quicker than Neves. He’s a better traveller with the ball and can actually dribble past a player or two.

But for the primary role that we are looking to fill, I honestly wouldn’t be too gutted if Neves is the alternative. He would be a huge upgrade on McTominay.

Of course I’m still desperate to get FDJ but wouldn’t be too gutted with Neves.
Good post. Way more people would be more knowledgeable than me on this but I think the attraction of FDJ over Neves is what you've said though. Speed and an ability to carry the ball forward is something i've really missed seeing in a United midfielder. He just seems a stronger player than Neves and we're desperately in need of more energy and physicality in this side, not that i expect FdJ to launch into tackles and all but powering forward and being press resistant would be very nice.

croadyman

I agree it was a terrible transfer window in hindsight. The thing is I don't think anyone expected what followed, if it was down to the shock of no Fergie or the players downing tools I just remember being optimistic for the season as for any season under Fergie. We even started well iirc winning the community shield and then scoring 4 goals in our PL opener.

This is completely different, If we don't get FDJ and the fact that the Ronaldo drama isn't solved just gives me no hope that we can even mount a top 4 challenge. Don't get me wrong I think ETH is an incredible manager, it's just the board have let us down far too many times and so far this window despite new personnel it's been a stinker, we're giving our new manager a knife in a gunfight. This is as previously mentioned coming off a season finishing 6th not a title winning campaign.
Oh yeah he is being hamstrung by an fecking useless board, no wonder we feel little optimism

Chief123

Good post. Way more people would be more knowledgeable than me on this but I think the attraction of FDJ over Neves is what you've said though. Speed and an ability to carry the ball forward is something i've really missed seeing in a United midfielder. He just seems a stronger player than Neves and we're desperately in need of more energy and physicality in this side, not that i expect FdJ to launch into tackles and all but powering forward and being press resistant would be very nice.
I agree I would love to see those attributes in a midfielder too and hence that’s what excites me about FDJ.

However, an important factor which isn’t being used to compare him and Neves is the fact that Neves is the only one who’s proven he can do it in the premier league and in the actual position we want him to play. FDJ’s best performances have all been in the Dutch league. He has been pretty underwhelming in the Spanish league which is regarded as physically easier than the premier league. One noticeable criticism I have seen of FDJ from Barca fans in particular is that they feel he takes far too long on the ball and doesn’t release it when he should. He seems to want to travel with it too much. That has the potential to be very problematic especially in the premier league where it’s the most fastest and intense league in the world. You just don’t have time on the ball especially in the centre of the park. Even if we did sign FDJ, I honestly feel we wouldn’t actually see him making many runs with the ball out from the back due to the risk attached to that style. Especially if he’s the deepest lying midfielder.

Hence why I feel the gap isn’t as big between them based on what they would be instructed to do in their role which would be mainly to pass out from the back whether it be short or long. Both of them would be more than adequate to do this I feel.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

I understand i suppose as of now you're right although it could all change with some hindsight say we were to comfortably make top 4 with most of our players hitting their best form then it wouldn't be too disastrous of a transfer window.

I still have faith that we'll get de jong so hopefully it doesn't come to that.

RedMilo

In my opinion they are two completely different players, one (neves) will sit, screen the midfield in front of the defence, and has a range of passing both long and short(which is hit and miss), a little bit like a quarter back, more suited to playing in a midfield 3 in my opinion, but in terms of effectiveness both in defence and offence, he is no Paul Scholes or Michael Carrick, when you think of the type of players who have played in a 3 for us in recent times.

FDJ likes to come deep collect the ball and his first thought is to progress up the field, as you say he is very press resistant, and better suits a double pivot with a more defensive minded midfielder next to him, as he goes walkabout, which can leave his team exposed defensively to the counter in a 3, so he will play best with another No.6 next to him. For the system EtH wants, FDJ is the obvious choice, and superior one in my opinion. Veratti/Barella/Valverde can all carry the ball in midfield, and would be more comparable in terms of skill set than Neves, but they are completely unattainable.

It would be huge coup getting FDJ, but suspect given the options - he either stays at Barca or moves to Chelsea. Other than the relationship with the manager (which we don't actually know how strong that is), we dont have really anything going for us at the moment, when comparing what's on offer for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Based on that clip he doesn't indicate if it's coming from a source, just that it is his opinion.

I've remained on the fence through all this because it seems like ultimately (as that bloke says) he wants to stay more than anything but that Utd may be the beneficiaries of that not happening. At this point though, I can't see it being done before the window closes and the season starts this weekend.

If there's one thing I'd like to know, it's how Man Utd first became aware De Jong may be available. I hope, if it gets done, there's a long form Athletic article about it like the Sancho deal because that would be very interesting reading.
My own interpretation of all this is that ten Hag is in contact with de Jong and has received assurances by the player that he will move once he settles the deferred wages issue with Barcelona. And it doesn't seem like the player or his camp have leaked anything to the media thus far apart from maintaining their stance that they're happy and don't want to leave.

So the way i'm looking at this, is that de Jong and ten Hag are in contact and it's a case of who will bend first, the player or Barcelona.

Chelsea are also reported to be interested and it's been said that CL football could prove to be a advantage for them and they're monitoring the situation and will make their move once they know the players decision. And I think we (United) already know the decision of the player due to Erik ten Hag being our head coach and it being reported that he's in regular contact with the player. And I think Erik ten Hag is going to be the decisive factor for the player.

Chief123

Juve and PSG were linked. Who's shown interest in Neves :confused:
I’d imagine there isn’t going to be a queue of CL clubs going for Neves because of the £75m price tag wolves slapped on him recently. Only premier league clubs can afford to pay a fee like that for him. Clubs outside of PL would expect an elite player for that price.

mu4c_20le

croadyman

In my opinion they are two completely different players, one (neves) will sit, screen the midfield in front of the defence, and has a range of passing both long and short(which is hit and miss), a little bit like a quarter back, more suited to playing in a midfield 3 in my opinion, but in terms of effectiveness both in defence and offence, he is no Paul Scholes or Michael Carrick, when you think of the type of players who have played in a 3 for us in recent times.

FDJ likes to come deep collect the ball and his first thought is to progress up the field, as you say he is very press resistant, and better suits a double pivot with a more defensive minded midfielder next to him, as he goes walkabout, which can leave his team exposed defensively to the counter in a 3, so he will play best with another No.6 next to him. For the system EtH wants, FDJ is the obvious choice, and superior one in my opinion. Veratti/Barella/Valverde can all carry the ball in midfield, and would be more comparable in terms of skill set than Neves, but they are completely unattainable.

It would be huge coup getting FDJ, but suspect given the options - he either stays at Barca or moves to Chelsea. Other than the relationship with the manager (which we don't actually know how strong that is), we dont have really anything going for us at the moment, when comparing what's on offer for him.
Worries me how pessimistic our reliable journos are starting to sound on this, also doesn't help there is nothing solid on Sesko/ST or a RB to help distract us from this long painful saga

RedMilo

My own interpretation of all this is that ten Hag is in contact with de Jong and has received assurances by the player that he will move once he settles the deferred wages issue with Barcelona. And it doesn't seem like the player or his camp have leaked anything to the media thus far apart from maintaining their stance that they're happy and don't want to leave.

So the way i'm looking at this, is that de Jong and ten Hag are in contact and it's a case of who will bend first, the player or Barcelona.

Chelsea are also reported to be interested and it's been said that CL football could prove to be a advantage for them and they're monitoring the situation and will make their move once they know the players decision. And I think we (United) already know the decision of the player due to Erik ten Hag being our head coach and it being reported that he's in regular contact with the player. And I think Erik ten Hag is going to be the decisive factor for the player.
Hi mate, I keep hearing EtH relationship will be the key to getting the deal done but they only worked together for a season and a half before he went to Barca, and haven't seen any quotes from FDJ attributing any special relationship with EtH. No encouragement has been given publicly either. I really really want FDJ to sign, but I can't make a case for it myself, I keep coming back to why he would pick us in our current state over staying at Barca on reduced terms (club of his dreams/lifestyle/house/family settled) or sign for Chelsea (Champions League/London factor/New Owner Building a Squad/Project)

croadyman

Hi mate, I keep hearing EtH relationship will be the key to getting the deal done but they only worked together for a season and a half before he went to Barca, and haven't seen any quotes from FDJ attributing any special relationship with EtH. No encouragement has been given publicly either. I really really want FDJ to sign, but I can't make a case for it myself, I keep coming back to why he would pick us in our current state over staying at Barca on reduced terms (club of his dreams/lifestyle/house/family settled) or sign for Chelsea (Champions League/London factor/New Owner Building a Squad/Project)
Yeah and when you think back to what Corrigan said about relationship not being that strong it makes me highly pessimistic

Fanta Stick

One possible plus in United's column is EtH will play him in his favored position, something that FDJ has recently spoken about when comparing club to country.

Chief123

I don’t know if it’s just me, but this thread is beginning to feel like a business centre office block which was once thriving with activity and has been slowly clearing out with lots of empty offices now and only a couple of businesses left. :nervous:

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We can forget FDJ, he will either stay at Barcelona or join Chelsea. Out biggest mistake for the CM positions was not signing Boubacar Kamara for free (yes, 0m) and he is on wager that we probably are paying Tom Heaton or someone. He has been very good for Aston Villa this preseason and us, in such a need of CMs, not getting him no matter if would have signed FDJ also was such a bad decision, i can not think of one good reason we did not (according to media he was keen on joining us and was a fan of the club when he was young). But nevermind, we will once again go with a 4-2-3-1 with McFred occupying the 2 CM positions as it seems of today. Even though i have been cheering for playing Martinez as a CDM next to a real box-to-box, Fred was brilliant in that position in Shaktar, just look at the game he played for them in CL against City. But still I would not let Fred get the freedom to join the attack, because he is not got enough in final third area of the pitch so i would rather have them both being more of CDMs but Fred acting box to 80% of the offensive box (if it makes sense). It would be like having 2 pitbulls behind Bruno/Eriksen - Fred trying to win the ball and play easy passes while Martinez is an excellent passer and can both make passes cutting through the opponents midfield or lifting the ball over the defense from 30-40m.

Something like

..........................DDG
................Varane....Linelöf
....Dalot...............................Malacia
................Martinez
..................................Fred
.........................Bruno
Sancho.................................Rashford
........................Martial

Suedesi

Obviously not the resulted we wanted , we have to try harder, just have to look to the next game now and improve.

Right?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd say they had a good working relationship at Ajax and it was under the tutelage of ten Hag where several players exploded on to the scene, including de Jong who they bought from Willem II as a 18 year old . I'd say de Jong has lost his way slightly since he left Ajax and he's at the stage of his career now, where going back to work with ten Hag who he knows well, will be very important for him in the decision making process.

I think staying at Barcelona is probably not a good idea when they've actively been trying to sell him. He's not appreciated at the club and if he puts his football first then a move away is probably going to benefit him especially under Erik ten Hag, who was the head coach when de Jong came to prominence as a player at Ajax.

Last edited:

croadyman

I'd say they had a good working relationship at Ajax and it was under the tutelage of ten Hag where several players exploded on to the scene, including de Jong who they bought from Willem II as a 18 year old . I'd say de Jong has lost his way slightly since he left Ajax and he's at the stage of his career now, where going back to work with ten Hag who he knows well, will be very important for him in the decision making process.

I think staying at Barcelona is probably not a good idea when they've actively been trying to sell him. He's not appreciated at the club and if he puts his football first then a move away is probably going to benefit him especially under Erik ten Hag, who was the head coach when de Jong came to prominence as a player.
Shame he doesn't seem to be thinking like that

croadyman

I don’t know if it’s just me, but this thread is beginning to feel like a business centre office block which was once thriving with activity and has been slowly clearing out with lots of empty offices now and only a couple of businesses left. :nervous:
Yeah think that's a very apt comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.