• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
For De Jong to make an imminent decision only when Chelsea have come in whilst we have been waiting months says this is over.
For de jong to go to Chelsea after all this saga then I hope Eth will play me against Chelsea.
I'll get revenge for all the muppets in that match - mark my words! :D

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To be honest people in a club aren’t as secretive as you would think. I’ve met one of the non-executive directors at Utd in a business meeting a few times. He was openly critical of Jose while he was still manager and also shared information which you just wouldn’t expect to hear from someone on the inside.
But you aren't ( I assume) a public figure who regularly appears in front of the media or gets asked about transfers. Also, even that guy telling you is totally unprofessional.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Well no, the responsible thing to do would be to walk away if thats the case. No shame in admitting things have changed.
We knew the wage issue was holding things up and in that time, another club has come in, who de Jong prefers. Makes us look even more stupid staying when it's out there now that he has no intention of coming, if thats true of course
We're still a broken club, nothing makes sense really here

Chief123

Why is everybody so convinced that 'Arry isn't at the very least exaggerating? People keep saying "He has nothing to gain from it" but he has nothing to lose either.

This interview seems to have gone fairly well under the radar and even if people do say "Well you got that one wrong, didn't you", so what? He's not a journalist, and he's not somebody who reports on transfer news either. He's an ex-manager and now a pundit that the football channels get on to give his two cents. His reputation will not be effected by this one way or the other.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be stunned if De Jong chooses to go to Chelsea but I wouldn't be stunned if 'Arry is either exaggerating or flat out bullshitting with this claim either.
I’d love to put a positive spin on it mate, I really would. But some of the words he’s chosen to say aren’t from an opinion. It wouldn’t make sense to me for him to state it so factually.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
For De Jong to make an imminent decision only when Chelsea have come in whilst we have been waiting months says this is over.
Yeah it's definitely over. Frenkie has been waiting and now that Chelsea are in for him he's thought "oh no, I need to sign the contract with United quickly before people think I'm interested in a club other than them! Mikky, pack your umbrella and bucket hat!"

Chief123

But you aren't ( I assume) a public figure who regularly appears in front of the media or gets asked about transfers. Also, even that guy telling you is totally unprofessional.
I agree. It’s very unprofessional which is what surprised me. Tbh, as I’ve got to know him through business he is a complete bellend.

hobbers

This saga will probably end Murtough's stint as DOF before it even properly begins.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
You have to thing of it this way too, if de Jong was absolutely dead set on going to Chelsea, and United know that, how have no journos not found out yet?
I'd imagine if Harry was telling the truth, he'd have been told a little while ago, and for nothing to break from ANY journo during that time is kind of odd. It would be a big scoop for anyone to get, you know for a fact someone at Chelsea would have let slip, or even Barca themselves would have leaked it to their mouthpieces (i know Sport have said in the past he wants to go to Chelsea, but they backtracked and said he's not ruled United out, then it's a decision will be made, which infers he's considering all options).

I have no idea whats going on anymore

Giggsy13

A few weeks ago I laughed at people saying this was our worst ever saga.
That sounded silly when we had the Fabregeas nonsense, the Herrera mystery suit gang and delayed a window, the year of Sancho and the long Wan Bissaka and Magure pursuits to only pay the exact original fee.

But I think this could actually get quite high up the list now as silliest one yet.
This is by far the worst when you consider we’ve agreed a fee without the player agreeing to join. Great way to start off the Murtough and ten Hag era.

Mmm-Qatarian

I’d love to put a positive spin on it mate, I really would. But some of the words he’s chosen to say aren’t from an opinion. It wouldn’t make sense to me for him to state it so factually.
My point is he could be exaggerating with any one of the things he's said. The person at the "very very very top" of Manchester United might not be nearly as high up as he's making out, and their statement of him going to Chelsea might not have been anywhere near as clear cut as he's making it out. Redknapp has nothing to lose if either of these things turns out to be true.

I should be clear, I'm growing quite uncertain about this deal but Redknapp's statements have nothing to do with that.

Chief123

Its not even a priority position for them.
Not right now, but it would be priority number 1 next summer when Jorginho and Kante leave. Chelsea have probably seen the opportunity to resolve that forthcoming problem now.

If reports are to be believed, Chelsea are willing to spend £300m. So don’t think they have finished yet even if they got FDJ. They just aren’t signing them in order of priority.

Strootman's Finger

If anyone in the club knew for a fact he was going to Chelsea, so sure they'd tell Redknapp, then United would have publicly pulled out by now. They are worried about public perception in this situation, they are not going to stick around any longer than necessary.

hobbers

So there could be some positives. Clear out all the woodward lackies.
If the club actually had the balls to act then it would, but even after a calamitous and humiliating 3 months of failed transfers and time wasted he'll still keep his job.

After all, Woodward hung on for a decade despite averaging a major feck up every year.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Mitten, Nev and now Harry saying he prefers Chelsea

peridigm

Not right now, but it would be priority number 1 next summer when Jorginho and Kante leave. Chelsea have probably seen the opportunity to resolve that forthcoming problem now.

If reports are to be believed, Chelsea are willing to spend £300m. So don’t think they have finished yet even if they got FDJ. They just aren’t signing them in order of priority.
They get a reset on FFP since the takeover? No idea what their finances look like as a result of that.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
No it's not, but i'm guessing this interview would be for a Talksport show, would it not? So whoever told him, must know that he would likely leak it out. For that to happen a day after we briefed that we were confident and that we're sure he wants to come to the club seems really really stupid to me.

He might have said it as a matter of fact, but as has been pointed out, he's nothing to gain, or nothing to lose. Doesn't bode well for United if someone at the very very very top has told him opposite to what they're telling the fans via the press.

grahamo

I voted "its embarrassing to Our club" in the poll and I won't be changing my mind even if He does sign for us. Why are We letting Barca and De Jong take us for mugs? Tell De Jong to do one and tell Barca we won't be doing business with them again. end of!

Mmm-Qatarian

If anyone in the club knew for a fact he was going to Chelsea, so sure they'd tell Redknapp, then United would have publicly pulled out by now. They are worried about public perception in this situation, they are not going to stick around any longer than necessary.
I strongly suspect what could've happened is that somebody fairly well-placed at United (possibly Fergie) might have mentioned that De Jong "might prefer to go to Chelsea because of London/UCL/[insert other reason here]" and 'Arry, either through genuinely misremembering what was said or to exaggerate for effect, has relayed this as "somebody high up has told me he's going to Chelsea".

I could be wrong but again, 'Arry has nothing to lose either way. He's not a journalist whose reputation lives or dies by the accuracy of his reporting, he's an ex-manager turned pundit who will continue to get gigs on the sports shows wherever De Jong ends up this summer.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Where's The Butcher Martinez when you need him?!

Status
Not open for further replies.