Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

I don't think the manager can take any blame in that. Ajax were fighting for the title until the very end of the season and his focus had to be on that.

I'd expect a far more organised and expedient transfer window next summer.
Yes that is mitigating I agree, but if we are being led to believe he is following his own transfer stategy at the moment, yes he has been severely let down, but at what point does bidding for Arnautovic being blessed become excused.

I am certainly not blamign Ten Hag, dotn get me wrong, but going for the right players and moving to these supposed transfer links in your first three months, he shouldnt be agreeing to that

Member 101269

Before they spent 50m or whatever it was on Kounde. They have Kounde, Christiensen, Aruajo and still Pique he’s not gonna play CB.

It was 45 minutes in a friendly game I wouldn’t look much into that
they’re stacked with new toys

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
As a cule, take it from me; If he stays and somehow, we manage to register all of the new signings, he will still be a starter in midfield next to Busquets and Pedri - he will face some competition from Kessie/Gavi but Frenkie would back himself. Any talk to him being perma benched/put in the stands is nonsense, see Dembele's situation last season, he was also booed by fans but he played a major role in our season in the end and it's water under the bridge.

Interestingly, despite the media reports, accusations of bullying, the drama etc etc, Laporta and Xavi have never officially said they want him to leave or that he has no place in the team. It's always been "We want him to stay, we like the player but he needs to take a wage cut" this is a lifeline given by the club to a player who clearly has no desire to leave. I think his agent is the one trying to get other clubs involved but any time it reaches the player, as seen with Chelsea, it's "thanks but no thanks".

I think he genuinely believes this will all blow over.. which is maddening. It's proper head in the sand shit. We haven't even heard rumors of him searching for a house, it's complete silence as if he'll rock up at training oblivious to what's happening.
Exactly as I said a few weeks ago. Frenkie will start if he stays, he's too good.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I have to say, most of the links to Chelsea seem to be of pretty poor quality. That and newspapers quoting those links.

There do seem to be a lot of them though!
You guys told me guys like like Romero, Jacobs, Law etc were the ones to watch. They have all said the same thing: he wants to stay at Barcelona, but Chelsea would be favored if there’s a move.

Vegas has Chelsea first, and fighting to stay at Barca second, and the people that set those lines do a LOT of homework.

So I wouldn’t say there are “few links”

We simply are witholding calling ours an “official bid” until De Jong agrees to be sold. Romero says the whole concept of “official bid” is meaningless in modern football. The teams have already held multiple talks and the numbers are agreed. We had an “official agreement” with Kounde and Barca didn’t, so …..

The idea that he is simply holding out for wages has been mooted.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don’t see how. De Jong would be an upgrade on Jorgihno’s position.

Honestly, both Mount and Gallagher have trouble fitting into Tuchels system well as long as we have to go so defensive at the back. Fofana is the most important signing for Gallagher playing. With more youth and recovery speed, you don’t have to play so negative in the midfield two. You could play a midfield of FDJ and Gallagher. You could NOT play a midfield of Jorginho/Kante and Gallagher, especially as our defense stands. Jorgi can’t be relied on defensively, and Kante is too careless with the ball to be the link up.

It is the same problem we face in getting Kovacic on the field. Kova is GREAT. If I were other teams that’s who I would have been pressing Chelsea to sell. He deserves to be on the field.
You cannot have two free-spirited runners who need others to sit whilst they go galavanting off up field on their runs. One would have to compromise and defer to the other, which in this case would be Gallagher who would essentially have his wings clipped by a big money, big name and status player in de Jong. Gallagher’s powerful, un-inhibited running has earned him so many plaudits and it’s clear that to develop as he should, he needs to hone what he does. Morris is right in that if you get de Jong, that is highly unlikely to happen.

de Jong is by no means a sure thing and if he is not facilitated and catered for, whoever gets him will be in for a ‘shock’ as he needs to be free to do his thing and that makes him a deferential player - the absolute last thing a player like Gallagher needs, and ironically, a player that would prevent him from maybe one day becoming the same kind of focal point in a midfield. They may play different positions and one starts from deeper than the other, but a midfield with both of them in it most likely means you’re not getting the best you can out of one, or the other, or even both of them.

jesperjaap

I'm not concerned because creating a streamlined structure on the football side of the club takes time and Liverpool are a classic example of that. The likes of Edwards and Fallows, Hunter have been at Liverpool since 2012. And they were ridiculed many a time by both fans and the media before the arrival of Jurgen Klopp who helped shape their recruitment structure and brought it in-line with his vision on playing the game, which in-turn provided their recruitment heads with a guiding principle on the players to target. But in Klopp's first summer window he led recruitment and even signed Sadio Mane after Liverpool's data science team had reportedly deemed the player to be not good enough under Brendan Rodgers. Liverpool finished 8th in the 15/16 season and the summer window that followed was just as underwhelming. They signed Wijnaldum from relegated Newcastle and we signed Pogba by breaking the world transfer record. Wijnaldum turned into a better signing than Pogba.

If by the end of the summer window next year we don't see the influence of the head of scouting then I will be extremely concerned. But as things stand, i'm fine with ten Hag leading the recruitment in the absence of the two head scouts who have been fired. Bayern have poached Dortmund's head of scouting (Markus Pilawa), and his work starts for the new season. And whoever we have installed in the role of 'head of scouting' will play a key role in carrying out the strategy set by the DoF and head coach. Because the head of scouting will head the recruitment process and the regional heads and lead scouts around the world will filter their information into him. So the head of scouting will be the key player when it comes to providing the DoF with transfer targets for the head coach. We also have a data scientist (Dominic Jordan) on the football side of the club for the first time and it'll be interesting to see and learn about his remit on the playing performance and recruitment side of the football club.

I do agree that someone like Caqueret should be signed even with the structural changes taking place if de Jong isn't possible. And he's playing under Peter Bosz at Lyon who like ten Hag also implements positional play and has utilised Caqueret as the connector/conductor in a deeper role both as a single pivot and as one half of a double pivot.
It is hardly just the scouting though. We havent jsut ignored the scouting network and had a poor scouting network...........we have failed repeatedly to get targets, happened this summer too.

I dont know enough at all about Ten Hag to know how good amanager he is, but Klopp was always special, was my choice to succeed Ferguson at the time. No doubting there recruitment has been fantastic as well as what they have got out of the players. As they were all good players, but I will hold my hands up and say never thought Mane, Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk for example were godo enough individually to reach the level of performances they have done.

But I am certainyl concerned, we seem incapable of doing the right thing on so many levels which is why we are the laughing stock we are at the moment, I still see us at a standstill or even a downward slope against other teams with a new manager....THIS was a pivotal summer for me in terms of changing the whole structure of the playing staff with a good 6/7 sales added to the free transfers leaving and a good 7players in to improve the first eleven aided by some youngsters breaking through. Only the very last part of that sentence can come to fruition as things stand, with some of these signings and continued poor performances....we could be entering another summer trophyless, a broken dressing room again and just as many players needing to leave yet again as should have left this summer.....with just as many needign to come in, that is a hgue concern, a disgace actually

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
You guys told me guys like like Romero, Jacobs, Law etc were the ones to watch. They have all said the same thing: he wants to stay at Barcelona, but Chelsea would be favored if there’s a move.

Vegas has Chelsea first, and fighting to stay at Barca second, and the people that set those lines do a LOT of homework.

So I wouldn’t say there are “few links”

We simply are witholding calling ours an “official bid” until De Jong agrees to be sold. Romero says the whole concept of “official bid” is meaningless in modern football. The teams have already held multiple talks and the numbers are agreed. We had an “official agreement” with Kounde and Barca didn’t, so …..

The idea that he is simply holding out for wages has been mooted.
Out of them 3, Law is the one to watch. Romero has been useless this window, he's very good normally, and does have sources, but this time he's been crap. Jacobs, god knows. He's not even on the tier list, he's new so no one really knows his sources, but he seems to opinionate a lot. The one people seem to place a lot of faith and trust in is Ornstein, and he's not really said much lately, just that Chelsea are interested but thats it.

Romano is usually good too, but he seems out of the loop on this and doesn't really have anything to add. In all honesty, i think this transfer is just above all of their heads. They're not sure whats happening or whats going on

MrSingh2002

If Rio was actually hired by the club we might be able to sign some good players.

Alot of other clubs use their ex pros as sporting directors etc so they can use the respect and image they have to speak with targets.

If Bayern and Madrid can do it successfully why can't we?

We've had so many top players but don't use them in this way. Rio would be top drawer at tapping up players that grew up watching him play.

RkkMan

The part about us buying forwards with the FDJ money a concern. Luckily it's the same guy who said we have a £20m budget

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The part about us buying forwards with the FDJ money a concern. Luckily it's the same guy who said we have a £20m budget
I think he means money from Rashord

RedMilo

Has FDJ signed yet? Expected to know either way today? He was always most likely to stay, his heart and his missus enjoy the lifestyle too much.

Also if they give Rashford an increased contract after the last 2 years of performances then I'm done with them honestly..

edcunited1878

You’ve been back and forward to Barcelona all summer and been left hanging on an accepted bid with the mindset it will still happen. If that’s not chasing idk what is
United have been interested since early doors and have met with club reps twice or three times. There's a transfer agreement between the clubs that has been reported.

To that, the player and his agent have all this stuff to deal with and it was always going to be a drawn out process, of which has nothing to do with any club but Barca. United are being added to something entirely out of their control. That's where the hysteria comes in.

Meantime, they've come to a point where they are speaking with alternatives because it literally has to come to an end in like 3 weeks time, whatever the outcome may be.

MrSingh2002

If De Jong actually fecks Barca over and stays beyond Friday.... We should be tapping up Frank Kessie for that scenario.

theklr

If Barcelona suddenly feel like Kessié's not worth keeping, then sure. Hopefully he has a stinker or two in the training sessions until then.
Think the poster means if they cant register him in time

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Think the poster means if they cant register him in time
Right, I meant that as well. The clause to break the contract in that event is optional, so if he wants, he can stick around even after the first matchday. Up to now Samuel Marsden has reported that both Christensen and Kessié are okay with sticking around even if they don't get to play in the first match.

theklr

Right, I meant that as well. The clause to break the contract in that event is optional, so if he wants, he can stick around even after the first matchday. Up to now Samuel Marsden has reported that both Christensen and Kessié are okay with sticking around even if they don't get to play in the first match.
Yeah, thats true, but if they cant register him at all for the season I meant.

joedirt87

Alemany at the meeting -"What else can we do BESIDES paying Frenkie his money to leave to get these guys registered".

Status
Not open for further replies.