Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilRed

Is Frenkie De Jong really 80m Euros better than giving Donny a proper go?

I'd rather spend the 80m on a world class DM and play Donny and Bruno ahead of that player.

If money is no object then sure let's get Frenkie too but it unfortunately is. We don't have 250/300m to spend.
I think we're down to 3 centre midfielders including Donny (if you don't count Bruno) .

Not sure if Garner will get a look in either? I suspect Donny will get a much bigger chance next season now that so many have left.

Signing someone like De Jong is imperative to rebuild our midfield. We just don't have enough numbers in that area.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
De Jong is not worth 80 million euros and DVB isn't worth a place in the first 11.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wouldn't chase after a guy that doesn't want to be chased, no matter who he is. If a player has to be convinced to join United, it will never work.
Ten Hag had to be convinced.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I wouldn't chase after a guy that doesn't want to be chased, no matter who he is. If a player has to be convinced to join United, it will never work.
I imagine united feel the same way, and yet they're apparently accelerating talks, so I am guessing De Jong is more interested than everyone seems to be indicating.

Blood Mage

I'd be more worried about players who are eager to come here after the shitshow of last season. Even Ten Hag had to be given assurances before accepting the job.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not true at all, is it? They just have to be convinced that we are getting things right again. They don't want to waste their career. You think City were able to lure Aguero and David Silva over with just a paycheque? They had a project that they sold to them and they became legends there. Top players will look at what happened to Pogba and worry for themselves. It's up to the club to convince them that is no longer the case and we are stopping the decline. Ten Hag is a much bigger lure than the club name at this point for someone like De Jong, who is at an equally big club already.

crossy1686

career ending
This is either the best bit of business we've done in a long time and will also get something out of VDB, or it's potentially up there with Pogba's move to United

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This is either the best bit of business we've done in a long time and will also get something out of VDB, or it's potentially up there with Pogba's move to United
He won't be worse than pogba i reckon, if everything goes to shit( i apologize for saying this) we can do a dimaria and get rid on a loss rather fast as he has a high resell value.

Last edited:

Jamie Shawcross

I am not reading too much into the whole "De Jong isn't interested and doesn't want the move" angle. Sure, its possible he might not want to join United or should I say leave Barcelona, but think about it. Barca want to sell, United want to buy yet the two clubs are negotiating the price. If De Jong came out and publicly said he wanted to join United or was open to leaving, that takes some of the negotiating power off Barcelona, and United can use that declaration to pay less for the player. I think its more likely that De Jong has been asked by Barca not to publicly appear to push for the move. This all comes down to the price in my opinion, and is not hinging on De Jong's wishes as much as is being let on. Just my opinion though I could be wrong.

peridigm

I think this will be our first and most difficult signing. Makes it easier for others to follow.

crossy1686

career ending
I think this will be our first and most difficult signing. Makes it easier for others to follow.
It doesn't really, and for the most part Barca need to sell and we want to buy, this is as easy as it gets. If we decide to go for someone like Son next it will be much, much more difficult

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hope people are realistic with this transfer unlike the pogba one.

People expected pogba to be scholes and keane combined.

De jong will help knit our play together but he’s not really a match winner.

I don’t wanna hear people complaining when he’s only for a few goals and assists and call him a flop

crossy1686

career ending

I don’t wanna hear people complaining when he’s only for a few goals and assists and call him a flop
It's an awful lot of money for someone who doesn't do much

Trex

Problem with Pogba is he tried to spread himself to wide, if De Jong can be the center of a united side that dictates most games he'll be seen as a good buy.

Adam-Utd

It's an awful lot of money for someone who doesn't do much
What he does though is on of the most important jobs.

There is more to football than goals and assists. This is exactly the train of thought that got us in this mess in the first place.

crossy1686

career ending
Common now. He does his job as well as anyone. He’s there to set up plays and control the middle of the park. If he’s getting goals and assists than he’s out of position.
Surely there's another player that can do that for less? I wouldn't mind if he's a Modric type who gets involved a lot in the build up but doesn't actually get the assist but assists the assister, but if he's just more of VDB then it's a big fat waste of time

crossy1686

career ending
What he does though is on of the most important jobs.

There is more to football than goals and assists. This is exactly the train of thought that got us in this mess in the first place.
Then what does he do? I'm genuinely interested, I've only ever seen him play for Ajax.

Adam-Utd

Problem with Pogba is he tried to spread himself to wide, if De Jong can be the center of a united side that dictates most games he'll be seen as a good buy.
forced to. Let's not forget he had Lingard RW, and Pereira CAM for a lot of his matches. He was a 1 man team for his prime.

Holocene

You know that's exactly what will happen. The idea of midfielders having different roles in a system is an alien concept to a lot of football fans.

Prodigal7

Surely there's another player that can do that for less? I wouldn't mind if he's a Modric type who gets involved a lot in the build up but doesn't actually get the assist but assists the assister, but if he's just more of VDB then it's a big fat waste of time
He is the modric type of player. Every top team needs one and they are the rarest players to find. He needs to be out top target and I think he is.

Adam-Utd

Then what does he do? I'm genuinely interested, I've only ever seen him play for Ajax.
link play from defence to midfield, help recycle possession. Keep the ball under a high press and not panic and lose it. Help maintain pressure offensively.

Think of what Rodri does at City. It's quiet/simple work done to a high level that might not look fancy but is invaluable to a team.

We don't have anybody that can do that properly at United currently.

Trex

forced to. Let's not forget he had Lingard RW, and Pereira CAM for a lot of his matches. He was a 1 man team for his prime.
He played with the likes of Matic, Herrera, Mata, Mhkitaryan around him too.
He just doesn't know his role really.

crossy1686

career ending
link play from defence to midfield, help recycle possession. Keep the ball under a high press and not panic and lose it. Help maintain pressure offensively.

Think of what Rodri does at City. It's quiet/simple work done to a high level that might not look fancy but is invaluable to a team.

Well if he can do that in the PL then I'm all aboard. We need a Modric type

Ralph1386

People will need to understand the role he plays in a team.

Terry Chango

85M€ reported earlier this week.
[/QUOTE
85M€ reported earlier this week.
Cheers mate. I’ve not really paid any interest in the figures but more about the credible links before possible fee amounts.

For that price you are probably right about being able to buy 2/3 alternative options that fit ETH system. If we had a have decent scouting department and Eric hadn’t only just joined then who knows and maybe we’ll find out in the transfer windows that follows. For now I guess ETH see’s a player with less risk in terms of of the player understanding what his manager wants from him and has already performed well under him at Ajax.

Hopefully we can get the price down and I saw some tweets on this thread yesterday about United believing they can get the fee down to €60 m which seems more than fair enough.

Out of interest what other targets would you go for with the fee you quoted ?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

I was under the assumption he’s coming here to be the box to box roll rather than the Rodri roll.

BoulderDevil

All this “he doesn’t want to come here” talk is so overblown. Until he is flat out quoted that he’s doesn’t want to join us then the posters moaning about it can keep quiet. I don’t think he will come out and say that anyway because you know why? He knows we are possibly one of his only other options since Barca are going to let him go

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Getting De Jong would be the sign of our team changing to actually play quick possession based football. There aren't many midfielders out there like him - I haven't watched him the past two seasons but I would say he has similarities to Verratti.

He can get the ball to Bruno in good positions to play the through balls. We just need another midfielder next to him to help, Fred gets pushed around too easily sometimes.

Like Liverpool spent big on GK and CB to complete the jigsaw, that's what we need to do here so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.