Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This is a guy who was benched for a 17 year old and a 19 year old last season.

Is there anyone here who's watched him week in, week out? I don't ask to be patronising but to really get a understanding of him
They're generational talents, not just any 17 and 19 year old.

Albeit, I feel Frenkie has more to prove than people think. There was high expectation that he'd replace Busquets by now, given the talent and he hasn't delivered to that level and has looked uncomfortable in the role that managers have asked him to play. I don't expect him to make immediate impact either, he'll need a settling period like Rodri to get used to the switch from La Liga to Premier League.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They're generational talents, not just any 17 and 19 year old. Albeit, I feel Frenkie has more to prove than people think. There was high expectation that he'd replace Busquets by now and he hasn't delivered to that level.
That's mainly due to Busquets not regressing, he had a down year the season before they signed De Jong and regained form.

Withnail

Is there anyone here who's watched him week in, week out? I don't ask to be patronising but to really get a understanding of him, I feel like there's too many people in here wanting this transfer to go through for the dopamine hit without having actually watched him a lot.

I feel like the best way to understand a player is to at least watch their match highlights of every touch for around a span of 10 games - that way you get a feel for their consistent level of play. I watched a lot of games for Sancho for example and it was easy to see how his lack of acceleration in the dribble wouldn't suit us or the PL well and just how many of his goals in the Bundesliga would never happen in the PL.

With Frenkie I get the sense that Barca want to cash in because £75m is a huge sum for a position they have better players in. Would they sell Pedri for that? No. As such I think it's right to be worried about some of the red flags in this transfer.
When was he benched?

dasty

Is there anyone here who's watched him week in, week out? I don't ask to be patronising but to really get a understanding of him, I feel like there's too many people in here wanting this transfer to go through for the dopamine hit without having actually watched him a lot.

I feel like the best way to understand a player is to at least watch their match highlights of every touch for around a span of 10 games - that way you get a feel for their consistent level of play. I watched a lot of games for Sancho for example and it was easy to see how his lack of acceleration in the dribble wouldn't suit us or the PL well and just how many of his goals in the Bundesliga would never happen in the PL.

With Frenkie I get the sense that Barca want to cash in because £75m is a huge sum for a position they have better players in. Would they sell Pedri for that? No. As such I think it's right to be worried about some of the red flags in this transfer.
Only Ter Stegen and Busquets started more games than Frenkie in the league. Before dismissing a player at least get your facts right.

croadyman

Or heaven forbid if De Jong gets injured or tired, it'll be back to McFred. We need two midfielders for sure
Yeah it's why I couldn't understand passing on Kamara, whatever happens with De Jong we still need another midfielder.

Tarrou

I like Dejong but doesn’t anyone feel we could have gotten 2-3 decent midfielders for the price we’re going to pay for him?
who though?

we have enough average midfielders

we desperately need a controller like De Jong and they are hard to come by

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
It's probably a money thing, his basic at Barcelona is 260k a week and he probably wants to keep it. And we're probably offering that as a maxim after bonuses etc.

Barcelona might not need to be selling him anyway, they are in talks with BoA to sell their TV rights for a large sum of money.

Withnail

It's probably a money thing, his basic at Barcelona is 260k a week and he probably wants to keep it. And we're probably offering that as a maxim after bonuses etc.

Barcelona might not need to be selling him anyway, they are in talks with BoA to sell their TV rights for a large sum of money.
We need to get the deal done before the vote on the 16th in that case.

TuzlaUnited

Same shit with every new manager.Chase players who doesn't want to come...And if the manager flops we are stuck with overpaid player who doesn't want to be here .
Rinse and repeat.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Same shit with every new manager.Chase players who doesn't want to come...And if the manager flops we are stuck with overpaid player who doesn't want to be here .
Rinse and repeat.
Sure, every time manager flops then his signings could be potentially flop as well. But this is what I don't understand with fans who only knows how to complain.

When the board doesn't back the manager to sign player that suits the manager system, fans complain. When the board backs the manager to sign player that suits the manager system, some fans (you) still complain.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He'll 100% be our captain if he joins. Everything on the pitch will go through him as he embodies ten Hag's whole philosophy.

Nero

He'll 100% be our captain if he joins. Everything on the pitch will go through him as he embodies ten Hag's whole philosophy.
He'd be way down the list. Isn't captain material at all.

poleglass red

Rinse and repeat.
no top player right now is going to jump as soon as we show interest. We won't compete for the league next season, we aren't in champions league, we are in another rebuild. If players like Pogba and his team had of sat down with the club during negotiations, and properly assessed the clubs goals, transfer policy, proposed style of play, where he would play etc, it would have saved both parties a lot of bother in the end. More complications arise in players jumping right in, when we wave money at them. We have to sell the club to players like De Jong, players who have no affiliation with the club, that's the way it is unfortunately.

Yagami

Good post resistant
On the Captain thing the handiest thing would be to give it to Ronaldo for a year. No one could really complain and then choose someone suitable for long-term the following season.
Ronaldo is the only option we have right now, agreed. Frenkie to be vice captain and then take over when Ronaldo leaves is my guess.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not for me, we should stop giving it to the new signing…
I'm all aboard with ten Hag here. No one knows his game better than Frenkie, and everything we do will be going through him anyway. Keane was like having Fergie on the pitch. Frenkie will be like having ten Hag on the pitch but with more hair.

Robertd0803

On the Captain thing the handiest thing would be to give it to Ronaldo for a year. No one could really complain and then choose someone suitable for long-term the following season.
Exactly. Ive always reckoned Maguire will play better when not under the pressure of having to be captain anyway and in an ideal world the season after next FDJ can take the armband because he will have had a year to settle in at that point.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s just Moyes and Fabregas all over again. Why are we not looking for talented young midfielders who would break a leg to play for United? Because despite the Caf’s nonsense “you’d have to be an idiot to actually want to come here” there will be lots of them. This is still the biggest club in the Premier League

Tiber

Shame Rangnick was so utterly hopeless. The likes of De Jong would have been much easier to sign if we had finished in the top 4.

marktan

It’s just Moyes and Fabregas all over again. Why are we not looking for talented young midfielders who would break a leg to play for United? Because despite the Caf’s nonsense “you’d have to be an idiot to actually want to come here” there will be lots of them. This is still the biggest club in the Premier League
Ten Haag going after FDJ and Timber, Ajax players. For all the talk of an overhaul at the club our recruitment department still looks incredibly weak.

Ralph1386

Yeah it's why I couldn't understand passing on Kamara, whatever happens with De Jong we still need another midfielder.
Agree with you on that. Hope Garner can come good otherwise but it might be too soon for him.

Tiber

Which of these unnamed players are better than De Jong? Or Fabregas back in the day for that matter.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Ten Haag going after FDJ and Timber, Ajax players. For all the talk of an overhaul at the club our recruitment department still looks incredibly weak.
What's better? Ten Hag signing players he doesn't know and hoping they'll come good or his first signings being players he already knows and trusts? We need a spine for the team then he can start looking for more obscure players. If that spine includes (ex) Ajax players then I've no problem with that.

Offside

Which of these unnamed players are better than De Jong? Or Fabregas back in the day for that matter.
This is what a recruitment department is for. Not just going after the only name lads on an Internet forum can think of. Especially when all the noises make it quite obvious he is not interested in signing for United.

Withnail

This is what a recruitment department is for. Not just going after the only name lads on an Internet forum can think of. Especially when all the noises make it quite obvious he is not interested in signing for United.
With respect, we don't have a clue who the club have identified as alternatives or what they are working on.

Offside

With respect, we don't have a clue who the club have identified as alternatives or what they are working on.
That’s true. I’m more just moaning about the fact I keep hearing about this. It could be complete nonsense. But to be honest I think with Barca’s situation and ETH as our manager there’s a decent chance we end up buying him and he’s another disappointing signing. It’s all speculation. We could unearth some gem in a stroke of genius recruitment or we could sign FDJ and he ends up amazing. I’m more just frustrated by the fact this feels like so many disappointing transfer sagas of years gone by.

Tiber

Your the one saying we should have a line of better alternatives.

I'm all for 'players who would break a leg to player for the club' but after a few years watching McTominay, Rashford, Ighalo etc? I'm ready to prioritise top level talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.