Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
We aren't spending 60m+ on Casemeiro on top of what De Jong would cost, especially when we are pursuing an attacker and reportedly a RB too. This one is very clearly dead in the water.
Considering our supposed bid for jao felix was 130m you never know

I'd take fdj and casemiro and feck the other positions for another season

The glazers really need to go big to raise the value of selling the club or staying in power both require big names and sentiment shift

Womp

idiot

I'd take fdj and casemiro and feck the other positions for another season

The glazers really need to go big to raise the value of selling the club or staying in power both require big names and sentiment shift
The thing with that is Felix operates in a position we are very light in, even more so if Ronaldo leaves. With Casemiro coming in, even if the quality isn't the best, we at least have players who can operate in the middle now. I'd like to be proven wrong of course, cause a midfield of De Jong and Casemiro would instantly make our midfield one of the best around, but signing two players who operate in the same position for 130m+ in one window, when we are still looking to sign other positions just seems like extremely wishful thinking

NZT-One

As long as you still have faith, Brownie, it feels like there’s still a chance. Somehow. What a fecking midfield that would be. Them two. Wow. We could beat anyone with those guys.
I highly doubt it. Good players are obviously needed we'd also need to learn to play as a team. Because our opponents do it and look how good they look on the pitch. Even without the Casemiros and FDJs of this world. There is still a long way to go. Fixing midfield is big thing, granted. Maybe even the biggest. But certainly not the only one which is stopping us from the biggest successes.

Boondog

That's where I'm at right now. Probably dead in the water but I think the locals have ownership running scared. They probably need to win to push value up so maybe Joel breaks that VISA card out.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The thing with that is Felix operates in a position we are very light in, even more so if Ronaldo leaves. With Casemiro coming in, even if the quality isn't the best, we at least have players who can operate in the middle now. I'd like to be proven wrong of course, cause a midfield of De Jong and Casemiro would instantly make our midfield one of the best around, but signing two players who operate in the same position for 130m+ in one window, when we are still looking to sign other positions just seems like extremely wishful thinking
United needed a DM regardless, we don't know the budget but nobody expects a title challenge this summer its about building

Get the right players, if that's blowing the rest on FDJ and not getting a striker, RW or RB this window so be it.

If that means only playing the EPL and not other comps to win so be it.

Future windows get a RB RW and ST if that's the case, realistically United need a few windows of spending 200m+ to catch Liverpool and City it just requires the Glazers allowing people to have autonomy over signings without signing off on them all. Or selling the club.

Either way to raise the value of the club they need to build the squad rapidly before either case.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
That's where I'm at right now. Probably dead in the water but I think the locals have ownership running scared. They probably need to win to push value up so maybe Joel breaks that VISA card out.
Not their money anyway, and yes agreed if they want to sell they need to splurge the cash.

Rather throw in 2-3 summers of 200m+ and selling the club at 5bn+ than sell at 4bn right now

What they do now matters commercially and for their own interests. They know no sports fan likes them

pogbasformerbarber

As much as I want him…there’s a very small part of me that would absolutely love seeing Barca mess this up and be stuck holding a very expensive bag in the end…

Sviken

We're gonna have to spend money to improve the midfield regardless if it is this season or next, so it will be better not to delay.

Womp

idiot
We're gonna have to spend money to improve the midfield regardless if it is this season or next, so it will be better not to delay.
That's all well and good - but just because us as fans think like that, doesn't mean the board will. We aren't spending in excess of 130m+ for two players in the same position. As much as I hope we would.

Ted Lasso

I think I'm more frustrated we haven't had a title change in ages. FDJ pulling his own lever to try and stay at Barca? Anything new at all.

Sviken

That's all well and good - but just because us as fans think like that, doesn't mean the board will. We aren't spending in excess of 130m+ for two players in the same position. As much as I hope we would.
I mean... we bid 130 million for one player apparently and that's ridiculous in of itself. Midfield has been our biggest issue for a long, long time and 2 players of that caliber would immediately make it one of the best in the league which would help solve a lot of our problems. I don't see why the management would see it any different. Both Fred and McTominay need to be replaced, not just one of them.

Sir Erik ten Hag

They only managed that by activating the 4th lever. So kudos to them for causing even more LT harm to their club for some ST gain.
United are in no place to laugh at Barca's levers, though.
I mean... we bid 130 million for one player apparently and that's ridiculous in of itself. Midfield has been our biggest issue for a long, long time and 2 players of that caliber would immediately make it one of the best in the league which would help solve a lot of our problems. I don't see why the management would see it any different. Both Fred and McTominay need to be replaced, not just one of them.
Even if we sign BOTH De Jong and Casemiro, it's still not the best midfield in the league. Top 4, may be (And that's still a big may be).

dave2528

I think this has turned out to be a happy ending for everyone involved.

The muppets have been entertained all summer long and can now slumber peacefully with the club having signed an actually decent midfielder in Casemiro.

Meanwhile, Frenkie stays at his dream club, who no longer want anything to do with him or the wages they can't afford to pay him, where he gets to now occasionally come on as a defender, wasting away the prime years of his career.

Win fecking win, lads.

Sir Erik ten Hag

The muppets have been entertained all summer long and can now slumber peacefully with the club having signed an actually decent midfielder in Casemiro.

Meanwhile, Frenkie stays at his dream club, who no longer want anything to do with him or the wages they can't afford to pay him, where he gets to now occasionally come on as a defender, wasting away the prime years of his career.

Win fecking win, lads.
Where is Van Gaal with his usual "not calling players to National team if they don't play regularly" thingy? :lol:

frostbite

Win fecking win, lads.
Blasphemer!!!

Frenkie is ours! We want Frenkie and Casemiro.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Since the wages don’t seem to be the problem, my only conclusion is that his wife loves living in Spain and refuses to leave.
People underestimate the family factor.

Otherwise this whole summer has just been bizarre.

But I’m 1000% convinced this guy has to stay away from United now. I can easily see him sulking and bitching. We have to get rid of this kind of attitude.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Believing the reports we still have some cash left, enough to push for him one last time, I guess we have to see if ten hag values him that much or not.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Believing the reports we still have some cash left, enough to push for him one last time, I guess we have to see if ten hag values him that much or not.
Looking at the alleged bids for Antony and Felix, there certainly seems to be some cash left lying around, yeah.

Casemiro/De Jong midfield, make it happen!

croadyman

Think we either go back for him to get a near dream midfield or improve offer Antony which looks the more likely outcome

Trequarista10

Interesting point. Counterpoint would be that we have lost 2 CMs in Matic and Pogba, and could look to move on Garner or possibly Donny, and our two other first team CMs are highly criticised. Eriksen can play there but is more accustomed to being an AM. I absolutely think 2 CMs is needed. Whether or not we do it, and whether or not we buy 2 CMs and still strengthen other areas (attack, RB) I don't know.

I think a quintet of De Jong, Casemiro, Fred, McTominay and Eriksen, competing for 2 or occasionally 3 places, would be sufficient and not excessive in terms of depth. But this obviously involves selling DVB, and loaning or selling Garner, which we may or may not be able or willing to do.

croadyman

We need a win vs Liverpool.

Would help push this along. Barca are going to take this to the wire. They're not passing up on €85m.

He's on €500K a week. Staying till January will cost them another €10m.

What COULD see this resolved is if United meet Barca halfway in covering salary.

I feel more confident this will happen but we need a win vs Liverpool and we need a few more signings too.
Yeah RB, Ziyech/Gakpo/Pulisic & ST. Will admit a modern style first choice GK is needed but don't see it happening. Only going to be a backup one by the looks of it

Status
Not open for further replies.