Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom Merrilin

Not getting FDJ or Antony equals failing Erik
Signing FDJ instead of Antony would be a failure. The club has clearly moved on from FDJ and signed Casemiro instead to be the link between defense and midfield.

The position that Man United are currently weakest is the attacking 3. Elanga is starting games ffs. He's less ready to compete at the highest level than McT.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Rumours are that Frenkie is going to blink first with a pay cut...

Otherwise, status quo remains until January, when Barca will be under more pressure as his wage is going up each year, so they will try to force him out again. They could end up screwing his career by playing him out of position or benching him. That may mean he misses the World Cup and ends up leaving on a free in a few years, but it will be a massive risk for anyone to take him on then having not played consistently for years and having been at war with his club.

Real Madrid tried that tactic on Bale, but he was always going to get into the Wales team even if he hadn't been playing regularly, and then he was fully rested and played brilliantly for Wales, securing them World Cup qualification. He didn't care as much as this was at the end of his career, and he had nothing left to achieve other than with Wales.
Where are you people getting this idea he could be perma benched, not played in midfield or have his career destroyed? It's ridiculous and will not happen, even if he does stay on his current wages. Xavi confirmed if he stays, he is in his plans.

If you want to see a player Barca desperately want rid of, look at Dest situation - Xavi has said many times publicly he isn't in his plans and he isn't even in the match day squads.

Nobody at Barca has officially said they even want him to leave, it has always been the same message: we want him to stay but need him to take a pay cut. Even at the peak of this saga where Barca were allegedly desperate for him to leave, the guy still went on the US tour and was played in both La Liga games so far, including starting the second.

I'm not saying he stays or even takes a pay cut, we shall see but I guarantee his career won't be destroyed, he's too good of a player for that. If in an alternate universe Barca were stupid enough to exile him, he'd put in a transfer request on the 1st of January.

Isle

Where are you people getting this idea he could be perma benched, not played in midfield or have his career destroyed? It's ridiculous and will not happen, even if he does stay on his current wages. Xavi confirmed if he stays, he is in his plans.

If you want to see a player Barca desperately want rid of, look at Dest situation - Xavi has said many times publicly he isn't in his plans and he isn't even in the match day squads.

Nobody at Barca has officially said they even want him to leave, it has always been the same message: we want him to stay but need him to take a pay cut. Even at the peak of this saga where Barca were allegedly desperate for him to leave, the guy still went on the US tour and was played in both La Liga games so far, including starting the second.

I'm not saying he stays or even takes a pay cut, we shall see but I guarantee his career won't be destroyed, he's too good of a player for that. If in an alternate universe Barca were stupid enough to exile him, he'd put in a transfer request on the 1st of January.
He loves the Club to too much to put in a transfer request, his partner also loves the City, he will be happy to sit at home with his partner earning massive wages and watching football of his beloved club on TV.

croadyman

Signing FDJ instead of Antony would be a failure. The club has clearly moved on from FDJ and signed Casemiro instead to be the link between defense and midfield.

The position that Man United are currently weakest is the attacking 3. Elanga is starting games ffs. He's less ready to compete at the highest level than McT.
Casemiro isn't FDJ on the ball, we need someone who can keep it and find those passes, still not blown away by Antony can't put my finger on what he's lacking

Alonzo

If he does take the pay cut, we should all be very relieved we haven’t got him. You don’t want someone like that in the squad (ie di Maria). He’ll regret the decision in the end i have no doubt. Im sure some will see different but that’s the reality.

Thom Merrilin

Casemiro isn't FDJ on the ball, we need someone who can keep it and find those passes, still not blown away by Antony can't put my finger on what he's lacking
I think Eriksen is that player you mention who can see the difficult passes and pull them off. Casemiro provides the balance in terms of winning the ball and keeping his passing relatively simple.

croadyman

I think Eriksen is that player you mention who can see the difficult passes and pull them off. Casemiro provides the balance in terms of winning the ball and keeping his passing relatively simple.
Did see some evidence of Eriksen being able to dribble through midfield at Brentford last season, however not seen it here yet so wonder if he still has it in the locker.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Agree, that we need one more deep playing midfielder because Casemiro is there to cover and win the ball while we still need one that can pass through opponents midfield and maybe even more one that can carry the ball forward.

The one thing I can see Antony missing is his physic but put him in the gym 1hour extra every day and keep working on his balance and he will be good. At least i hope he will if we pay the 100m euros for him.

Nights

Barca by all accounts agreed on a transfer fee with United for him. You don’t do that for players you intend to keep.

croadyman

Agree, that we need one more deep playing midfielder because Casemiro is there to cover and win the ball while we still need one that can pass through opponents midfield and maybe even more one that can carry the ball forward.

The one thing I can see Antony missing is his physic but put him in the gym 1hour extra every day and keep working on his balance and he will be good. At least i hope he will if we pay the 100m euros for him.
Yeah we are crying out for ball carrier

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Music has a lot of impact in people's life and sometimes its not just about taste but the timing that makes you into certain music. The source who shall not be named told me the reason why Mikky prefers to stay in Spain so stubbornly is because she listens to Fuel Fandango rather than Oasis.

Will Singh

This has been a shit show and can’t believe it’s still not decided. All summer we’ve heard ETH wants him and De Jong wants to stay at Barca so we’ve been all in on him but signed Casemiro for a massive fee in quick succession. We are all over the place. He ain’t coming as he’s young, rich and lives in Barcelona, what else could you ask for..

Isle

This has been a shit show and can’t believe it’s still not decided. All summer we’ve heard ETH wants him and De Jong wants to stay at Barca so we’ve been all in on him but signed Casemiro for a massive fee in quick succession. We are all over the place. He ain’t coming as he’s young, rich and lives in Barcelona, what else could you ask for..
& also in love with the club and the city. No reason to move anywhere else in the world, he and his partner are living their best life there. We shouldn't go for players who love other clubs and isn't career oriented, he is clearly fine playing as CB or GK if he has to, to stay at Barca and even be happy to be sit on bench, if we bring him, he will be worse than Di Maria situation.

Thom Merrilin

Did see some evidence of Eriksen being able to dribble through midfield at Brentford last season, however not seen it here yet so wonder if he still has it in the locker.
It's much faster to pass the ball rather than dribble, that's what I'm trying to say. Eriksen is a decent example of passing>dribbling.

Slysi17

I wonder if this hinges on Ronaldo leaving to raise fundage?!
That's freaking stupid. So we are short of forwards and are having to play Elanga who clearly isn't ready and needs to go loan. And your theory is we want to replace Ronaldo with a midfielder when we are short of forwards. Yep makes complete sense that.

Tarrou

I wonder if this hinges on Ronaldo leaving to raise fundage?!
we're not raising any funds with Ronaldo leaving though, so nah

if he goes there won't be a fee and we might even need to contribute his wages

at absolute best if we got really lucky someone will pay us a nominal fee - which obviously wouldn't make any difference to this transfer

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I'll like to understand something here, are the rumours true he's about taking a wage cut to stay at Barca?

Glorio

Forget the thing about getting FDJ, what's probably more upsetting is that there's no way we're getting to 2000 at this rate. Thread has lost it's way a fair bit :( :( :(

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Barca by all accounts agreed on a transfer fee with United for him. You don’t do that for players you intend to keep.
That was around the time Silva, Xavi's nr.1 target, was still available. This has changed recently, City won't sell him anymore this late in the window. The narrative in Barcelona all summer was to exchange Frenkie for Silva, saving wages while doing that and getting a more suited player for Xavi's system. Personally, I don't see it happening without him as a replacement.

In Rainbows

It's much faster to pass the ball rather than dribble, that's what I'm trying to say. Eriksen is a decent example of passing>dribbling.
We haven't really dominated games through the middle with Eriksen either. Frenkie would also allow United to play Eriksen in Bruno's spot, which would lose us some workrate, but gain more control of the midfield.

Our current attacking performance isn't a fair reflection of its ability because we haven't been able to provide them the best platform to perform (dominating possession, and being given the ball in better areas). On the other hand, Antony would help us control matches more than the current team because he's far more sturdier in possession than Elanga or Rashford.

Lights Out

we're not raising any funds with Ronaldo leaving though, so nah

if he goes there won't be a fee and we might even need to contribute his wages

at absolute best if we got really lucky someone will pay us a nominal fee - which obviously wouldn't make any difference to this transfer
If Ronaldo leaves then it frees up £20-25m off the wage bill. So yes, it might be a consideration.

On a side note, what was the Rabiot bid all about? We haven’t gone after anybody similar since that fell through

Tarrou

If Ronaldo leaves then it frees up £20-25m off the wage bill. So yes, it might be a consideration.

On a side note, what was the Rabiot bid all about? We haven’t gone after anybody similar since that fell through
we'll need to spend that on his replacement

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
So much this. Our attacking options when Ronaldo fecks off - Sancho, martial, rashford and Elanga. We currently have 7 midfielders including Garner. Yes, FDJ would be lovely but anyone suggesting we don’t sign an attacker instead of FDJ is just in utter dreamland. We desperately need at least 2 forward players.

Status
Not open for further replies.