Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiMaria

The problem is, I don’t actually believe the 17m is the problem. I’m sure FDJ wants his 17m but I’m also convinced Utd would happily pay it.

I don’t believe the rumours that FDJ only wants Barca to pay it out of principle. Footballers don’t care less where the money comes from as long as they get it. I don’t think FDJ would choose to stay just because Barca didn’t pay the money from their own pocket.

I just think the guy just doesn’t want to leave due to many factors including non-football related like lifestyle, spouse wishes etc.
This. Unless he has no other option but it seems he can stay.

DiMaria

After the way they've treated him in public and the way they have their mouthpieces repeat the completely illogical argument of 'either he's sold or he takes a pay cut" all summer, he needs to stand up for himself and go. He hasn't won anything with Barcelona other than the Spanish Cup once and they are much weaker than they look on paper. Real Madrid is far stronger.

However if they treat him like crap and are trying to weasel out of paying him his deferred wages, loyalty bonus and performance bonuses he is entitled to, then clearly he is well within his right to tell them to do one and stick around until they relent. There is no way he should be leaving 17M+ on the table to "help" a club that treats him like this. I suspect the issues have been massively compounded by Barca's insistence that his contract is criminal and that they therefore won't be paying him what they owe.

They could also owe him significantly more than 17M. We all quote the 17M as what he is owed, but he is due a loyalty bonus of 15M euros as well - which they should pay him given he is being sold and forced out. All in all we could be looking at 17M in deferred wages and 15M in loyalty bonus + bonuses that were deferred due to covid and the financial situation. So in reality we could be talking about €32M+. Which is an insane amount of money to just leave behind to "help" an employer that treats you like crap.
I agree that he needs to stand for himself but they’re not much weaker…they look like the real deal and have fixed most areas of weakness.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ter Stegen is going to lower his salary to deal with the latest market movements. There's also a proposal for a salary cut for FdJ on the table. [@gerardromero] #fcblive

Why would he agree to this, I really do not understand :lol:

fallengt

"Being forced out of the old club, unhappy at new club, life is controlled by his missus. Despite all that still loves his old club". Sounds like a Di Maria situation

Dude clearly doesn't want us. United's just his after thought/fall back option. Hope we never sign him, we don't need such character in a rebuild.

Waynne

Are you guys just desperately trying to get this thread over the 2000 page mark?

I don't see any reason why there would be any activity in here considering this guy doesn't want to come to United and that much was known a 1000 pages back.

Waynne

What I'm more angry about is why we chased after this guy and didn't go for another CM.

We still haven't been linked to another ball playing CM.

Come on, man.

Fernandes has been playing poorly and Eriksen has been getting gassed quickly. One injury to Eriksen and we're back to McTominay ffs.
Because Frenkie de fecking Jong is the only midfielder that fits the Ten Hag profile of how he wants to play. There is no one else that fits his profile.
Can't believe we've spent so much time and energy on this guy. Should've walked away weeks ago.
The last thing we want to have is another mercenary like Di Maria in the squad.

northernsoul74

Because Frenkie de fecking Jong is the only midfielder that fits the Ten Hag profile of how he wants to play. There is no one else that fits his profile.
Can't believe we've spent so much time and energy on this guy. Should've walked away weeks ago.
He maybe the best of his type but surely he’s not the only one.

Isle

Surely that can't be true about only player that fits ETH system, he can surely find an good alternative which he can develop into FDJ profile.

Bestie07

If that's the case then ten Hag needs to find a new fcking system.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
We have a player worth 80 million and earning 20 per year to be the substitute of an 18 year old kid that came from our youth ranks and hasn't even signed a first team contract yet. Kind of absurd. The only way I see this ending well is if Frenkie learns to play properly in Busquets position since he is leaving next summer.
But what I saw vs Real Sociedad kind of tells me he won't fit in that role.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We have a player worth 80 million and earning 20 per year to be the substitute of an 18 year old kid that came from our youth ranks and hasn't even signed a first team contract yet. Kind of absurd. The only way I see this ending well is if Frenkie learns to play properly in Busquets position since he is leaving next summer.
So pay his fecking wages and let him leave:angel:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Lacks application or ambition?

frostbite

At this point, I don't think that the main problem is the 17 million that Barca owes Frenkie. We overpaid more than 17 million for Martinez. We overpaid more than 17 million for Antony. We could have paid these 17 million ourselves as a sign on fee, if this was the only problem.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Surely that can't be true about only player that fits ETH system, he can surely find an good alternative which he can develop into FDJ profile.
Not FDJ profile, because he is quite unique to be honest. But yes we can find another player that fits ETHs system

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Can’t wait for the lock on this thread.

Dejong can rot on the catalonian bench for all I care. He would have been benched by Fred anyway. feck him.

AndySmith1990

It was obvious a couple months back this one wasn't happening. The player never had any interest in leaving, as was said over and over again. But fair play to those who stuck with it for this long

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Are you guys just desperately trying to get this thread over the 2000 page mark?

I don't see any reason why there would be any activity in here considering this guy doesn't want to come to United and that much was known a 1000 pages back.
You need to update autocorrect, what I think you mean to say is

“I believe we will sign him before 2000 pages, and I’ve been here for over 1000 pages”

TheLoveless

The problem is, I don’t actually believe the 17m is the problem. I’m sure FDJ wants his 17m but I’m also convinced Utd would happily pay it.

I don’t believe the rumours that FDJ only wants Barca to pay it out of principle. Footballers don’t care less where the money comes from as long as they get it. I don’t think FDJ would choose to stay just because Barca didn’t pay the money from their own pocket.

I just think the guy just doesn’t want to leave due to many factors including non-football related like lifestyle, spouse wishes etc.
I think you are right regarding the non-football related reasons but it’s very strange reasoning from the player. They could keep the house or whatever in Barcelona, live a life in beautiful, but colder and more rainy, Cheshire for a few years and then, at latest when he retires, move back to Barcelona and live there for the rest of their lives. It’s not the end of the world to not live at the exact place where you really want to live all the time.

He could become a legend here. He will never be that there.

Laurencio

I agree that he needs to stand for himself but they’re not much weaker…they look like the real deal and have fixed most areas of weakness.
We won't really know until they play someone who are actually good.

Ter Stegen is going to lower his salary to deal with the latest market movements. There's also a proposal for a salary cut for FdJ on the table. [@gerardromero] #fcblive

Why would he agree to this, I really do not understand :lol:
There is no logical reason. Give up 17M euros, cut your salary in half (40% would be illegal by spanish employment law), in all you are signing away your right to tens of millions of euros with no guarantee that you are actually going to play... seems absolutely ridiculous.

He maybe the best of his type but surely he’s not the only one.
He's not, but he is the best - and Ten Hag clearly believes we can get the best. A bit like Casemiro. Not the only option out there, but the best.

Pronewbie

Peep
If he magically becomes available now, will United go in for him? I reckon that his value will drop to EUR60M next season. Deep recession, Barca's finances, his wages and a result from being a bit-part player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If he magically becomes available now, will United go in for him? I reckon that his value will drop to EUR60M next season. Deep recession, Barca's finances, his wages and a result from being a bit-part player.
We would get him for much less probably. Wuestion is more do we still want him? I am not convinced at all

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We need to pad out the thread as much as possible.

Pronewbie

Peep
We would get him for much less probably. Wuestion is more do we still want him? I am not convinced at all
If ETH, after 1 season with us, still fancies him, then sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of top prospects make him look archaic. Them midfielders can do it all these days.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Shouldn’t be anywhere near Manchester United. Ever.
I tend to agree. After all that happened, he is a no go. But then again we lack options and are desperate. Maybe our scouting improves and we finally have some quality options next summer

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Yes boys! The train keeps rolling! CHOO CHOO!
Naah, not muppeting. It's just there are too many puzzle pieces which have been set up and time is ticking against Barcelona, so yeah - makes sense.

If the transfer doesn't happen then cool, I was mistaken but this saga has shown that journalists don't know a thing and are just speculating heavily.

Drizzle

No chance. We're just not spending a total of £275m this transfer window. We've obviously spent the money we'd allocated for FDJ on Casemiro and the additional 20m we had to spend on Antony.

Fair play to hardcore muppets who still hold out hope for this one despite all available evidence. Best we can hope for is a cheap or loan forward I think if Ronaldo goes. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

arnoldS

I don't get the sudden hate he gets. I mean he plays for his dream club, is settled, earns a shit ton of money and his fiance is happy.

It's not easy to suddenly leave everything behind and quit the job you always dreamed of. Maybe he sees it as a challenge and he will fight for his place for another year.

It's easy to say "have some self respect and leave" but this is a difficult situation. And of course there is the 17mil that they owe him and he obviously wants on top of all that.

red thru&thru

Only if you judge by quality of players added, but if you judge by execution:

1. We haven't been able to sold a lot of deadwood
2. Many sellable players left for free
3. The rest of sellable players went on loan, instead of actually bringing in money
4. We are signing players at the last second and paid double for Antony
5. Our signing targets are only based on who EtH knows. What do we have recruitment for? Negotiations is clearly not it, neither is research.

In any normal club, Murtough and recruiting team would be fired after a window like this.
You have to look at the card you've been dealt with:

1. Woodward put players on such obscene contracts, that really difficult to ship players on. Remember, players also well within their rights to stay and pick up the money they've agreed to, if a suitable solution cannot be found.

2. These free players were out of the control of the new regime. Plus, referring back to point 1, these players probably would have still been here and we'd have struggled to have moved them on.

3. Looks like we sold the players we could. Henderson is a player EtH would probably like to keep but he didn't want to wait around to prove himself. The rest, either young players on loan, or refer back to point 1.

4. Antony is late in the window, however, by even reading what Antony said to Fabrizio a few days back, and other reports, Ajax kept moving the price goal posts. Not much more United could have done.

5. Majority of fans have bemoaned the quality of our signings for the past decade. We got rid of the main scouts, and their scouted players clearly weren't what was needed. It will take time to replace that structure. So in the meantime, out of lack of choice, we have backed our manager, and given him what he wants. Also, going by recent games, all of his signings have proven good buys...even though it ia still early.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The most unsatisfying summer saga ever. Rejected by a player in favour of their current club, who’s publicly shat on him whilst pulling the most arcane financial stunts to sign a new team. Farce doesn’t even begin to touch it

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Sport pissing on our chips again this morning
I'm sorry but how can any Barca fan justify this as the behaviour of an ambitious player? It's one thing wanting to stay there, but this is blatant disrespect by the club and he's accepting it. If my current company told me to take a pay cut I'd be out of there immediately, there's something called self respect in this world.

I can understand not wanting to come to Utd, but to allow yourself to be treated like that, wow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.