Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

I can imagine United spending so much time focusing on this and forgetting about the rest of the team signings and then panicking at the end.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Seems like the Spanish press are starting the 'he's not that good anyway and won't be missed' narrative..

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can imagine United spending so much time focusing on this and forgetting about the rest of the team signings and then panicking at the end.
Our policy at one point was definitely to only work on one signing at a time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems the news change with the wind, almost like they are bored and filling the paper headlines until something new pops up.

Lets just wait and see, the club aren't stupid and I doubt ETH is either. No chance do we chase him like this if he hadn't said he was interested.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Its all very repetitive. Fully expect the deal to happen, but the daily updates are daft as clearly they don’t have much to update on.
Agree, its so boring, yet i just cant stop coming to this thread and reading the latest tweets (which say the same thing) :devil:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This doesnt make any sense. If Barca need the money then what’s the point in basically swapping him for Silva?
Nonsense
Silva will have to be on a lower salary and they'll do accounting magic to say they made a profit on FDJ while Silva's cost will be spread over a few years.

CraftySoAndSo

Even if City did sell Gundogan i thought they were planning long term on moving Grealish into the number 8 role at some point. He'd be better for them centrally than out on the wing so there's no need for a new midfielder and if they do get one i think they'll go for a young back up like Enzo Fernandez instead.

DarkDog

Why don't we move on from this mess. We don't need to beg someone to join us and we want players that are fully committed to the cause.
My thought exactly. Over the last 10 years I have seen so many players that we have had to ''convince'' which usually means paying twice the salary others are willing to pay for them. Everybody has turned into mercenary in our team, maybe it's time to move on. We should focus on getting players to sign for us who want to play here. I know that sir Alex did it many times, but never did player say in public that F them lot, I love it here and don't want to sign. Shearer is still denying that Fergie tried to convince

cyberman

Silva will have to be on a lower salary and they'll do accounting magic to say they made a profit on FDJ while Silva's cost will be spread over a few years.
Yes but they literally need liquidity. There’s been a few times over the last 18 months when they couldn’t afford to pay the players wages.
It’s not as if it’s an accounting trick to wash money they aren’t allowed to use. It’s all free transfers for a reason!

Bondi77

I swear I have been reading the same line the past 4 weeks.
You have mate and you can come back in a fortnight and the same shit will still be regurgitated or you might be lucky and see a post that says “ Liverpool and Chelsea have joined the race to sign FDJ”

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Spanish press is turning against him. Apparently its his leadership quality that is letting him down and not the position.

It has begun. I think FDJ will be out of Barca by 20th June
Of course, Spanish press write what Barca and Real need/want them to write. Remember when Real wanted to get rid of Bale, doesn't speak Spanish, can't comunicate with teammates, blah. Barca needs money so let's tell whole world he is shit, but not shit enough because we want €80m for him.

TsuWave

We should focus on getting players to sign for us who want to play here. I know that sir Alex did it many times, but never did player say in public that F them lot, I love it here and don't want to sign.
Have you seen De Jong do that?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Correct.

On a side note, you are a very good poster and find myself agreeing with you a lot of the time. Are you a fellow muppet also??
Unfurnished, I don't have the heart :lol:
Up until a few months ago I have had very little interest in transfers cause I thought the people running the club including the coach shouldn't be anywhere near here.
My confidence that the club is starting to find its way is creeping back that's why I am eager to see who we bring in.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I still believe this is as good as done. Conspicuously quiet from our side. The Spanish media are just spinning it out to suit themselves and Barcas PR agenda.
He will be here before the end of the month, most likely a double signing announcement with Timber when the international break is over. :devil:

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If we are left egged face at the end of all this, I can imagine the fans turning up at Richards Arnold house in disgust... :wenger:

StiffTackle

My thought exactly. Over the last 10 years I have seen so many players that we have had to ''convince'' which usually means paying twice the salary others are willing to pay for them. Everybody has turned into mercenary in our team, maybe it's time to move on. We should focus on getting players to sign for us who want to play here. I know that sir Alex did it many times, but never did player say in public that F them lot, I love it here and don't want to sign. Shearer is still denying that Fergie tried to convince
I do think there is a huge difference between - "I dont want to sign for man utd" and "I want to stay at my dream club".

We're not in a position where FDJ wants to leave Barcelona, has a bunch of top teams chasing him and we're trying to convince him to take a chance on us. The only thing we're trying to convince FDJ about is making the move happen quickly so we can adjust the remainder of our strategy and budget. It makes sense that he's not in a rush to make the move if he still believes he has a chance to stay at a club he loves.

Pretty sure if you'd have asked David Beckham at 25 years old about moving to Real Madrid he would have said very similar things to what Frenkie de Jong has said. But just like Beckham found out, when your time is up, its up.

I dont think the champions league thing will be an issue. Given he played in the Europa League at Barcelona this year, I dont think he's as allergic to the competition as the press want to make out. He's witnessed a manager that he trusts take an Ajax team with fewer resources than United into the Champions League, so I doubt he thinks ten Hag wont get us there.

I also dont believe there is much real competition for his signature. Given how many times its been said by him and others that the Barcelona tactics under Xavi dont suit him, it would be odd for him to decide that playing under Pep is the perfect choice for him and I dont see Pep ripping up his entire team structure to accomodate FDJ. With PSG talking about bringing in Mourinho and having an unbalanced squad where the midfield has to serve the big 3 up front, I dont see that as desirable option for him. Given Bayern are chasing Mane, have signed Gravenberch and have been looking at midfield options who play very differently to FDJ - I dont see them having the finances nor the style of play to make it a more desirable move than playing under ten Hag again.

LoneStar

I find myself drawn to this thread every time, only to see the same things repeated over and over -
  • Player wants to stay at Barcelona
  • ETH is convinced he can get him to the club. So he‘s constantly calling/harassing the player to come to United. This is always one week away somehow.
  • Some people think this is beneath us
  • Some people think this is the reality
  • Some people think we are getting cucked by bigger clubs
  • Doesn‘t want to come, must be Di Maria 2.0
  • Barcelona and their shady deals
  • What’s his best position?
Mods, please ban me from this thread for a week or two for my sanity, cause I can’t help but come to this thread despite all this:lol:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unfurnished, I don't have the heart :lol:
Up until a few months ago I have had very little interest in transfers cause I thought the people running the club including the coach shouldn't be anywhere near here.
My confidence that the club is starting to find its way is creeping back that's why I am eager to see who we bring in.
:lol:

I know exactly what you mean. The mess around the structure and organisation of the club had me dis-interested in the market because I couldn't trust we would target the right players / ones we actually need and so on. And I'm one of the biggest muppets of all :lol:

We recorded a new episode of the pod last night and what you say was echoed on there, the bigger changes around the club are returning some optimism that we may actually be learning from before. I hope so anyway.

Telsim

So apart from having to convince a reluctant De Jong to join us and meet his and Barcelona's financial demands, we are also waiting on Barcelona waiting on Bayern to find a replacement to Lewa? :nervous:

Just. Move. On. Bloody hell, what's wrong with this club?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So apart from having to convince a reluctant De Jong to join us and meet his and Barcelona's financial demands, we are also waiting on Barcelona waiting on Bayern to find a replacement to Lewa? :nervous:

How dare they try to sign one of the best midfielders in the world?! Frogie out!

AndySmith1990

It's fine having to convince him, but it shouldn't take weeks of conversations and begging. I expect there's no news and this "he needs convincing" crap will be rehashed every day until something significant happens

the_cliff

For all the people that mention Di Maria, Fabregas went through something similar at Barca, wanted to stay and ended up at Chelsea.

I'm sure all the Chelsea fans regret that signing.

I reckon he's already been convinced and the next update we get is we've agreed a fee with Barcelona.

Edwards6

Think we should set a deadline to get the deal done but it's 6th June .... patience will be worth it if we actually get him

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It's fine having to convince him, but it shouldn't take weeks of conversations and begging. I expect there's no news and this "he needs convincing" crap will be rehashed every day until something significant happens
Yup. It seems we’re just awaiting the “FDJ changes his mind - deal now at advanced stage - ETH convinced him of project” plot twist. It all seems rather coordinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.