Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jericholyte2

With Barcelona in the financial position they’re in, anyone is for sale if the right offer came in.

deciding factor is if the player would come.

sherrinford

Can he play as a DM in the double pivot of a 4231?

I really shouldn't do this to myself...
Alongside a more combative, defensively oriented box to box player, that would be the best use of him. Ideal pairing would be with someone like Kante, with both Fred and McTominay being suitable.

Sorry but its not as if he's playing on a different third of the pitch. He is still playing in midfield. If he only excels in 1 single position of the pitch, and cannot he used semi effectively elsewhere, then he is hindrance.
It is perfectly normal for a player to only excel in one particular position. Xavi only excelled in one single position on the pitch, he was certainly not a hindrance.

izec

Didn't he only say recently in an interview if Barca gave him a contract for rest of his career he would sign it. Something along those lines.

We have 0% chance of getting him.
They wont give him one though, as he is a sellable asset in a position that they have the least problems, due to plenty of talented youngsters coming through. In theory, they could think about selling and investing in other areas.

Blood Mage

With Barcelona in the financial position they’re in, anyone is for sale if the right offer came in.

deciding factor is if the player would come.
It wouldn't hurt to try, Ten Hag helped to make De Jong the player he is. He'd be a game-changing signing in allowing Ten Hag to implement his philosophy quickly.

copen1945

"The only option for Frenkie de Jong to leave Barça is to return to the orders of Eirk ten Hag and, in addition, to a great team. It is said that Xavi wants him, but if United comes with 70M Barça will try to convince the player to leave."
This transfer makes so much sense for us and Erik. I hope the club would do everything possible to bring him in.

JeffFromHK

Worth buying if the transfer fee is less than 50M and his weekly salary is less than 200k

Lyng

"The only option for Frenkie de Jong to leave Barça is to return to the orders of Eirk ten Hag and, in addition, to a great team. It is said that Xavi wants him, but if United comes with 70M Barça will try to convince the player to leave."

https://www.ccma.cat/esport3/el-manchester-united-vol-frenkie-de-jong/noticia/3159918/
Frenkie for 70m would be a bargain in today's market. Especially when you have the manager and system that gets the most out of him.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We have a dozen players who are gonna be culled. Freeing up millions in wages. Why not try hard for an actual footballer like him?

DavelinaJolie

I'm sure he'd be great, but isn't this the kind of big splash signing the club needs to avoid in such a major rebuilding window?

Lyng

I'm sure he'd be great, but isn't this the kind of big splash signing the club needs to avoid in such a major rebuilding window?
I think the key difference here is that you already know he fits the system we are going to be playing under the new manager and he has played his best under our new manager.
Something which hasn't been the case for our past big splash signings.

DavelinaJolie

I think the key difference here is that you already know he fits the system we are going to be playing under the new manager and he has played his best under our new manager.
Something which hasn't been the case for our past big splash signings.
Up to a point I see what you're seeing. But with the turnover in playng staff required, paying what it will cost to bring in De Jong (especially in his sizeable wages) seems a real luxury.

I hasten to add I'm not someone who thinks every signing needs to be some unearthed gem for 10m, but the outlay for De Jong seems it would deny the ability to improve across the team and replace some departures.

Lyng

Up to a point I see what you're seeing. But with the turnover in playng staff required, paying what it will cost to bring in De Jong (especially in his sizeable wages) seems a real luxury.

I hasten to add I'm not someone who thinks every signing needs to be some unearthed gem for 10m, but the outlay for De Jong seems it would deny the ability to improve across the team and replace some departures.
I completely agree he would take a sizeable chunk out of our warchest.
There is however another point to consider in this specific case. We already have one of his best midfield partners in Ajax in our squad.
A rejuvenated DvB back with Frenkie and under Ten Hag could be a huge fix for us.
And if 70m is the price Barca want there should still be enough money to strengthen several other places.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I completely agree he would take a sizeable chunk out of our warchest.
There is however another point to consider in this specific case. We already have one of his best midfield partners in Ajax in our squad.
A rejuvenated DvB back with Frenkie and under Ten Hag could be a huge fix for us.
And if 70m is the price Barca want there should still be enough money to strengthen several other places.
van de Beek is not going to make it here under ten Hag. He’s just not very good.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
This would be a much more inspiring signing than someone like Rice or Kalvin Phillips.
Suits the system and an ETH player.

his link up with DVB would be excellent as it was under ETH side in 2019.

This is the kind of signing we should be making.

I just fear we’ll be chasing him all summer and BArca would want silly cash.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm holding off going full on Muppet mode until there is a reliable source reporting it.
We've definitely should go for him if the opportunity rises, he has the potential to future proof our midfield for years to come.
Also he has been pretty lackluster in barca but was world class in ajax and is so in his national team so we definitely know the talent is there

wire74

I would consider putting Henderson in goal for his distribution and swapping d gea for Frankie , go all out for Kamara on a free and we have a very competitive central midfield. we still have cash for other positions

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
De Jong and De Ligt and I can’t promise you that I won’t wet the bed.

Nickosaur

70m and 300k in wages is well over half of our budget? (obviously total budget for summer wildly varies depending on what source you read)

In any other summer that is a bargain for a player like de Jong, but we're in bleak times now.

Remember this summer a minimum of 5-6 players are needed. I just can't see the club spending more than 50m on one player when the shopping list is so long.

Corridor of Uncertainty

A shame we have so many gaps to fill. For £90 million we could completely rebuild our midfield, with 2 players who treat the ball as gold dust

------------Kamara----------
------Soler-----De Jong---

nainaisson

I would consider putting Henderson in goal for his distribution and swapping d gea for Frankie , go all out for Kamara on a free and we have a very competitive central midfield. we still have cash for other positions
In addition to the fact that his salary is too expensive, De Gea stays glued to his line and passes like a gimp. Why on God's green earth would Barcelona want him to replace ter Stegen?

reddevilchennai

Last season there was a rumour that Barcelona were interested in Rashford. May be we could try to swap Frankie for Rashford.

Conor

Signing someone that will break our already ridiculous wage structure and is known to not like Manchester would be a clear indication that nothing has changed. Identify a similar, cheaper player and see how we do with him.

James Peril

Yeah, he’s not coming here is he. Barcelona are a bigger and more famous club, they are in the Champions League and players don’t really care about the financials as long as they are not actually going to tank. Are we forgetting United are not in the Champions League next season, have absolutely no shot at winning the league the next few years and having to swap Barcelona city with rainy, cold Manchester? A bit of realism please, we aren’t what we used to be and players want to live in a nice and warm climate most likely.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah, he’s not coming here is he. Barcelona are a bigger and more famous club, they are in the Champions League and players don’t really care about the financials as long as they are not actually going to tank. Are we forgetting United are not in the Champions League next season, have absolutely no shot at winning the league the next few years and having to swap Barcelona city with rainy, cold Manchester? A bit of realism please, we aren’t what we used to be and players want to live in a nice and warm climate most likely.
He's not first choice and they could use the funds.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Don't undersell us like that, I don't think people would have argued about them being bigger than us pre 2008 , and frankly it would just take a few years of sustained success to get back up there again.
If he thinks he could help us get back there while being reunited with his former boss, he might give it a go.

Blood Mage

Worth buying if the transfer fee is less than 50M and his weekly salary is less than 200k
Nonsense, he's one of the world's best midfielders and is worth 80mil minimum. We're not talking about Kalvin Phillips here.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What's his best role again ?

I read contradictory reports on him.
For me it is as the deepest midfielder, during his best period with Ajax he would regularly drop back into the RCB area of a back 3 to receive the ball and start buildups allowing the fullbacks to both get higher up the pitch rather than just 1 and the other sliding in to form a back 3.

That is where I have seen him perform best, that isn't to say he can't be effective further up the pitch I just feel his niche is starting moves rather than finishing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.