Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Signing someone that will break our already ridiculous wage structure and is known to not like Manchester would be a clear indication that nothing has changed. Identify a similar, cheaper player and see how we do with him.
The contract almost certainly wouldn't be the same, at Barcelona at the time pay for new signings was scaled against the 2+million a week Messi was on.

If we have a bid accepted and de Jong's terms are scaled down from where he is (obviously we are banking on a lot there) then he would be a fine addition.

dubplate warrior

He's more likely to end up at City with Fernandinho going IMO. Would love him here however I don't see it happening with no European football.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Should defo be enquiring about this guy. What a baller he is. We also need to go for Kamara who’s a free agent but that’s to realistic for our board. Could save quite a bit of money by getting him in a problem position aswell.

KeanoMagicHat

"The only option for Frenkie de Jong to leave Barça is to return to the orders of Eirk ten Hag and, in addition, to a great team. It is said that Xavi wants him, but if United comes with 70M Barça will try to convince the player to leave."

https://www.ccma.cat/esport3/el-manchester-united-vol-frenkie-de-jong/noticia/3159918/
Love to watch Frenkie but don’t like the terminology of that ‘Barca will try to convince the player to leave’. That reminds me of Di Maria. You never want to have to convince a player to leave! You want them to come to a club willingly.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Send Pogba to Barca take De Jong , I think Barca have been trying to use him as a Pogba type anyway, sort of expansive midfielder that is more B-2-B than a sitting playmaker.

My feeling is he would be a shot in the arm for ETH and give him an immediate indication that the club are serious in the “rebuild”.

If he came in and got another player perhaps Alvarez to play along side that would give us some epic options (Granvenbach would be the dream).

However if for any reason FDJ Is available Bayern, Juve , City, Liverpool, PSG would be ahead of us and isn’t Raiola his agent…non starter.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
£60m for one of the most promising young midfielders in Europe who is proven with ETH and I’m still seeing people turn their nose up. This fecking place :lol:

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
He is definitely a great player but our Pedri and Gavi are as good but work harder and charge much less. Also they are like 5 and 7 years younger. If I were Laporta I would sell him and use the money to get a sub for Jordi Alba and a striker.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
£60m for one of the most promising young midfielders in Europe who is proven with ETH and I’m still seeing people turn their nose up. This fecking place :lol:
'the club will try to convince him to leave' doesn't that concern you ?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He is definitely a great player but our Pedri and Gavi are as good but work harder and charge much less. Also they are like 5 and 7 years younger. If I were Laporta I would sell him and use the money to get a sub for Jordi Alba and a striker.
Agree with this if they get a high enough fee there are midfield replacements within the squad but no real striker alternative (nor one in the academy I don’t think?)

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Gavi is nowhere near as good. Pedri is a gem. I would love to see Frenkie go to UTD. He’s exactly what they need.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
If this is true I think they will sell and he will leave they are in their own mini rebuild.

Problem is I just don’t think he would decide to come here, considering the league position, budget and likely situation that we’re playing conference league football.

his profile is perfect though.

Conor

The contract almost certainly wouldn't be the same, at Barcelona at the time pay for new signings was scaled against the 2+million a week Messi was on.

If we have a bid accepted and de Jong's terms are scaled down from where he is (obviously we are banking on a lot there) then he would be a fine addition.
Why would he leave for less money than he's on now? he's hardly take a 100k+ hit on the chin just to pair up with ten Hag.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
  • Averages over 62 passes per 90 minutes with over 93% accuracy, a figure only Matic gets somewhat close to in our midfield;
  • Can actually dribble and carry the ball centrally, something only Pogba (pre-injury) can do in our midfield;
  • Has already played as a key player under our new manager who will implement a completely different style of play than what we are used to.
Signing is about as ideal as you can get on paper. €70m is a great price too when you have rumours to guys like Phillips and Bissouma at the same sort of figure.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The saving grace is that Hag knows pretty much everything about his game and character. If Hag wasn't on board the pessimist in me would relate this to something similar to the Pogba signing. Where the club isn't in a particularly great state and bends over backwards or grovels for the shiny new superstar to appease supporters and advertisers.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Gavi is nowhere near as good. Pedri is a gem. I would love to see Frenkie go to UTD. He’s exactly what they need.
They are better in the role De Jong is asked to play.

I'm sure he's sick as well of the manager waving every match to get into the box.

The thing is he's not a one on one replacement for Busquets either, he's too adventurous.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its weird that there's actually a chance at this but given he's not a lone 6/Busquets replacement and their future is Pedri-Gavi, plus their finances and what he's on, then I can see it. A weird series of events and with Ten Hag at United, it might happen? Would definitely need a DM next to him and he's replace Fred in the 11 pretty much. I doubt it happens but imagine getting both Tchouameni and him.... Would be perfect.

CraftySoAndSo

Plus Kessie is joining as well.

Lee565

I hope we don't make the same mistake we keep doing nearly every summer of wasting the whole window chasing an unattainable player whilst other sensible deals are had by our rivals for midfield options that would be an automatic upgrade on what have.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Not really, I read that as Barca trying to create a narrative of saving face and claiming they don’t want a player anyway when they see him as a sellable asset. I think he’d be great here

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

jesperjaap

I hope we don't make the same mistake we keep doing nearly every summer of wasting the whole window chasing an unattainable player whilst other sensible deals are had by our rivals for midfield options that would be an automatic upgrade on what have.
Yes I would be surprised to see this deal happen,doesnt mean he is unobtainable. What is vitally important, is if we are genuinely interested in signing him....we act fast and get concrete information of whether the deal can go ahead or not, not play ct n mouse all summer for the transfer to never happen.

If we were to sign DeJOng, it doesnt solve our urgent need to sign a proper defensive midfielder, but it does blow a fair amount of the budget....saying that

£DeJong £65m + Kamara free - that would be a promising rebuild of our pivots at reasonable pricing overall

Our overall spend is so dependant on the Greenwood situation I feel though that hopefully becomes clear soon. If he stays it means we done need to sign both a right winger and a striker, we can buy just one, thats a lot of money saveed from the summer spend and allows us to make a bigger signing elsewhere liek DeJOng, if he goes we certainly need to buy both

TsuWave

Him and Tchouameni would automatically make it an amazing summer

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They would try and convince him to leave?! He’s started most games under Xavi.
They may need money. His wages are high and they needed to up offers for Gavi and Araujo to get them to sign. Infact Gavi hasn’t signed yet I don’t think.

Anyway lets see, its a long shot but hopefully Ten Hag is in his ear

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't believe a word the Spanish media say ever

Nero

The only things I'm aware of is De Jong has repeatedly said he wants to stay at Barcelona. He plays regularly and Xavi praises him. He's also on obscene wages so it's not like he'll want to leave for money reasons.

Godfather

I don't dare to hope but man he would be perfect. Alongside a workhorse like Fred he'd do very well I reckon.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s not wrong about Barcelona need to sell players to fund them more for transfer windows but that doesn’t mean it will be FDJ, there are enough players other than FDJ in Barcelona that could be sold to solve their financial issue. Lazy journalist.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If he really wants to come here and the manager thinks he's the right guy then great. If his heart isn't in it or we're trying to do the deal just because he's the big name option available for a reasonable price then feck that. Young, hungry, point to prove, that's the guys we need. Do some actual scouting for once!

Judas

Open to offers
The CAF don’t believe anything remotely positive about Man Utd, so that’s nothing new
Your posts are painfully tedious. I'll believe this when there's actually some noise that suggests its even remotely a possibility, at the moment there's nothing but a Spanish source, and the media in Spain are massively unreliable.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Why would he leave for less money than he's on now? he's hardly take a 100k+ hit on the chin just to pair up with ten Hag.
If he is told he will play less maybe? To secure a longer contract with a decent wage attached to it to secure his earning potential?

There are a number of reasons why he might do that would make sense rather than just running down his current deal because the weekly wage is 20-25% higher than what he might get elsewhere, not all of them are attached to Ten Hag.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its not likely but lets see if Ten Hag can convince him. I think Barca would sell

Status
Not open for further replies.