Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He is definitely a great player but our Pedri and Gavi are as good but work harder and charge much less. Also they are like 5 and 7 years younger. If I were Laporta I would sell him and use the money to get a sub for Jordi Alba and a striker.
Bottom 10 percentile for midfielders in terms of pressures, interceptions and tackles. He’ll fit right in here :lol:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
How did he not stick out like a sore thumb in ETH's Ajax side then? Don't get it.
In that CL-campaing for Ajax he was great off the ball. Made 15,1 recoveries per 90 min. At Barca he is at 8-9 per 90 min. Somehow EtH made him work better than at Barcelona. Bit like Sahin for Klopp at Dortmund.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
In that CL-campaing for Ajax he was great off the ball. Made 15,1 recoveries per 90 min. At Barca he is at 8-9 per 90 min. Somehow EtH made him work better than at Barcelona. Bit like Sahin for Klopp at Dortmund.
Is he being asked to play a different position/role?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Playing different positions

bosskeano

you put Frenkie in our midfield with Bruno and Bellingham.....that would be a truly dominant midfield

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One of these is not like the others.
Haha sticks out like a sore thumb. But to be honest that was under one of the worst coaches in United history

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just been subbed against Rayo. He was awful as the rcm.

Looked pissed coming off.

Good news :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is he a better passer of the ball then McT though? Does he know what playing for United is all about?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Just goes to show how attack minded Barca are. He's surely being instructed to stay up.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Millan will really wor themselves if they don't win this.
So many chances.

Abraxas

Not sure about this lad in our side in the PL. Maybe for City, but even Pep would be kicking him up the arse to close people down. It's hard to see how we'd play him. Maybe the third man in a three that is offered plenty of protection and physical ability around him to cover what he can't or doesn't do. But it seems to me you need the cake before you put this particular cherry on top. We'd need to sign a combative midfielder or two with quality. I wouldn't completely rule it out if he's available and we are guaranteed to find the solutions to get the best out of him, he just leaves me uncertain.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not writing this off. Smells like another Arthur situation to me. Arthur, like Frenkie, wanted to stay but was pressured to leave by the club.
Arthur is one we should also be looking at if we can’t get Frenkie.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Or Fabian Ruiz. Just somebody of the ilk who can play around on the ball a bit

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not writing this off. Smells like another Arthur situation to me. Arthur, like Frenkie, wanted to stay but was pressured to leave by the club.
Yeah but he's potentially coming back to eth so that's an alleviating matter.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So we are swapping for maguire?:D
I actually think a Pogba-Frenkie swap would be the most beneficial. We finally get a press resistant midfielder who can control games, and Barca get an 8 which is what they want, and it gives Pogba more attacking freedom, too.
Arthur is one we should also be looking at if we can’t get Frenkie.
Been saying it for ages, mate. There's 3 elite press resistant 6s out there. Verratti is a no go. Frenkie is an uncertainty. Arthur is 100% doable.

Arthur is 100% leaving Juventus and his most likely destination is England. Arsenal, Newcastle or Spurs it seems. He almost joined Arsenal on loan in January but Arsenal didn't want the obligation to buy. We should be all over this, but I don't think we will be.
Or Fabian Ruiz. Just somebody of the ilk who can play around on the ball a bit
I know I'm in the minority but he's too lightweight for my liking.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I actually think a Pogba-Frenkie swap would be the most beneficial. We finally get a press resistant midfielder who can control games, and Barca get an 8 which is what they want, and it gives Pogba more attacking freedom, too.

Been saying it for ages, mate. There's 3 elite press resistant 6s out there. Verratti is a no go. Frenkie is an uncertainty. Arthur is 100% doable.

Arthur is 100% leaving Juventus and his most likely destination is England. Arsenal, Newcastle or Spurs it seems. He almost joined Arsenal on loan in January but Arsenal didn't want the obligation to buy. We should be all over this, but I don't think we will be.

We can’t swap what isn’t ours to swap. PP is out of contract.

Hopefully with a new manager who may place value on keeping the ball, he may look at alternatives if he is unable to get Frenkie. Arthur is an obvious one. He also contributes well defensively.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Why should we be all over Arthur is he was deemed no good for either Barca or Juventus and Arsenal didn't even want to get him with an obligation?

Biggins

Not going to happen. However, this would be hell of a statement from ETH. Player we really need

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why should we be all over Arthur is he was deemed no good for either Barca or Juventus and Arsenal didn't even want to get him with an obligation?
I’m not sure he was considered no good. They sold him for 70m (dodgy deal as that was), and they also sold him to Juventus, not Torino. Juventus were also asking 50/60m for him from Arsenal, they don’t think he’s rubbish.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I thought Arthur was really underwhelming? Hence why he's been shuffled around from Barça to Juve.

If De Jong is a press resistant controller of the game, how come he's not doing well at Barça?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought Arthur was really underwhelming? Hence why he's been shuffled around from Barça to Juve.

If De Jong is a press resistant controller of the game, how come he's not doing well at Barça?
It’s not really an ‘If’ though is it? We’ve all literally seen it, many times.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We can’t swap what isn’t ours to swap. PP is out of contract.

Hopefully with a new manager who may place value on keeping the ball, he may look at alternatives if he is unable to get Frenkie. Arthur is an obvious one. He also contributes well defensively.
You are correct but I was only talking hypothetically anyway.

Even if it's not here (perish the thought!), I can see Frenkie leaving soon, though. Xavi still loves Busquets, Gavi and Pedri are looking like their future, Kessie coming in.

There are other players similar to De Jong (including our very own Galbraith) so, like you say, there are alternatives even if they aren't on his level.

Personally, I think he's brilliant. Since joining Juve, I've watched them a lot and, when he's in the team, it's like night and day compared to when he's out of it. I think they've only lost two games he's started, and their general football just improves as he keeps the ball so well compared to how chaotic they are when he's not playing.

He gets looked down on as his passing is underwhelming, which is understandable, but what he brings to the team completely outweighs that negative for me.

bosniamanutd

we won't be playing CL next year and there is no chance that any highly rated player would sign for us.

charlenefan

I’m not sure he was considered no good. They sold him for 70m (dodgy deal as that was), and they also sold him to Juventus, not Torino. Juventus were also asking 50/60m for him from Arsenal, they don’t think he’s rubbish.
But if he was pulling up trees then Barca would have kept him no? And if Juve are trying to cash in suggests he hasn't lived up to his potential? I remember seeing him play at Wembley against Spurs and he looked amazing that night so not sure what's happened to him since?

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona

I wouldn't take Pogba even for free. He's not the kind of player who would be happy as a sub and I wouldn't want anybody getting in the way of Gavi and Pedri.

charlenefan

Personally, I think he's brilliant. Since joining Juve, I've watched them a lot and, when he's in the team, it's like night and day compared to when he's out of it. I think they've only lost two games he's started, and their general football just improves as he keeps the ball so well compared to how chaotic they are when he's not playing.

He gets looked down on as his passing is underwhelming, which is understandable, but what he brings to the team completely outweighs that negative for me.
Good to know, so just not appreciated at Juve then?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He'd take up about 50 to 60 percent of our budget this summer. Is that realistic when we need about 5/6 new players.

Barca won't give him away cheaply given his age and contract.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Have to say, find it odd that people would be against this signing, considering who our manager now is.

If this ever was to happen, I'm sure if ETH knows how to play him in our squad and he wouldn't sanction it if he thought it hindered the overhaul he will be expecting to do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Okay, so answer the second part of that. Why is he struggling at Barça?
Well it’s certainly not because he isn’t a press resistant controller. There are probably a number of reasons, and the summary of his time there as ‘struggling’ is subjective anyway. I think he’s had his moments, plenty of them too. I think he’s shown enough to confirm what is there personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.