Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest, I hope the bit for "willing to walk away" is bollocks. Of course negotiate and all that... But every midfielder out there that we could get is a massive drop off from De Jong with potential nowhere close to his, while still likely paying 50m+. De Jong is the perfect option for what we need, have needed, and what Ten Hag loves.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Lovely stuff. Wanna play a new style? Go get the guy who can dictate it. Also means less fanning about on the ball by our centre backs so its a double win.

If this is our only major purchase this summer then its a hell of a start. I am maybe in the minority but I like Ten Hag buying guys hes worked with because he needs allies in order to fix that dressing room and rebuild this squad in his image.

I'm aware we need many spots filled, but if this is an end to square peg/round holes FC then I'm all for it.

croadyman

Good to see us targetting a player that could have an obvious impact on how we play. Can't help think he'd need some defensive muscle alongside to complement him in the PL though. Hopefully this goes through first and sort that next.
Yeah definitely need to sign a midfield partner who would best complement his style, IF we can somehow get this deal done then honestly believe it will make other targets keener to buy into the Ten Hag project as well

Basa1987

I don't get the supposed Utd supporters on here who just seem to hate us and want to make everything miserable and negative. Maybe football just isn't for you anymore, find something that actually makes you happy.
Yeah, I just don't understand the continuous negativity about every little thing, like that insane thread comparing our data science guy to Liverpool's data guy.

Literally no one is happy about the current state of things at United but if you can't look forward to a new season with a new progressive coach, you should find other things to do.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The walking away line is always b*llocks.

It's going to happen. Frenkie De Jong will be a United player.

Jacko21

What are you talking about? Do you watch Goldbridge?
Goldbridge goes live two or three times a day, so even when there isn't anything to say, he finds something to talk about. And sometimes it's okay not to have an opinion. But that's not practical when your job involves... being opinionated. So he just has to come up with something. This often involves spurious, cynical takes that are to the benefit of no-one other than himself. He assimilates himself to his audience to keep the super-chats rolling.

He is a persona, he's admitted as much - I actually think he comes across well when he's not 'in character'. But his voice travels amongst section of the online fanbase - so his opinions get parroted online. The incessant negativity is just tedious.

But this isn't a Goldbridge thread... De Jong is a real coup. :)

CM

To be honest, I hope the bit for "willing to walk away" is bollocks. Of course negotiate and all that... But every midfielder out there that we could get is a massive drop off from De Jong with potential nowhere close to his, while still likely paying 50m+. De Jong is the perfect option for what we need, have needed, and what Ten Hag loves.
I think it's fairly transparent that we're saying that as a negotiation ploy. Plenty have reported De Jong as our top transfer target and clearly Ten Hag rates him very highly. The lack of links to any other midfielders also suggests alternatives are thin on the ground, if we have any at all.

Hopefully Barcelona's desperate financial situation will mean the price gets driven down anyway. They can't afford to miss out on a sale as much as we can't afford for this to fall through.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m standing by my assertion that United & possibly no top 6 team will buy him because of these allegations. In United’s case it’s simply bad PR and sponsors won’t like it. After greenwood we will be keeping our nose out
Perhaps. But the ‘story’ has little to no PR around it anyway. Greenwood is Greenwood. Football clubs stand by their falsely accused, as they should.

United have had a number of players who have suffered similar or worse allegations. One is currently a PR dream.

Telsim

I’m standing by my assertion that United & possibly no top 6 team will buy him because of these allegations. In United’s case it’s simply bad PR and sponsors won’t like it. After greenwood we will be keeping our nose out
I feel like some people are willfully ignorant, or perhaps blissfully so, about this. The current political climate is such that even allegations are enough to make sponsors wary. To say nothing of pending investigations.

This is doubly so for us, I imagine. We already have a mess with Greenwood on our hands and who knows how or when that will be resolved. I can guarantee Bissouma's name is an absolute non-starter in the scouting room.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Dun deel, let's get to other targets.

There were too many factors pushing this to happen anyway.

Castia

Only way this doesn’t happen now is if another club joins the race. We need to get this finalised.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Fair play to Romero, he went ham on this by saying it was 95% likely a month ago before anyone else, and now it's nearly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.