Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GazTheLegend

Not quite sure why people are getting giddy.
Seems very early in the classic sagas we have. Expect us to be "preparing" a bid by July.
Why are people getting excited? Because at the end of these saga's we usually get the player we want, a player that everyone says we have no chance of signing. Pogba saga ended with us signing Pogba. Sancho's two year saga ended with us signing Sancho. And so on and so forth.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
seems it'll happen but it might be more drawn out than we hope. Seems we will hard ball over the price knowing they are desperate need of cash.

Giggsy13

I'd like to see us get one over on Barca. F them with their demand, the dumb pricks were almost bankrupt.

If you wanna play the ETH football he played at Ajax, the simplest way is surely to bring in a few of his Ajax side from 2019, starting with the best.

Would be a great great start for him as manager to bring in such an important cog.

Giggsy13

I expect the alternatives to be Neves or Sangare. We don't need to be held to ransom here, either they accept a respectable offer or we walk. I think ultimately £60 million plus add ons to take it to £70 million will likely seal the deal.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Fair play to Romero, he went ham on this by saying it was 95% likely a month ago before anyone else, and now it's nearly done.
Absolutely. Some on here shot him down too. Also, I think the exact translation was more 95% chance that he’ll join United, rather than 95% done.

Remember the geese

I expect the alternatives to be Neves or Sangare. We don't need to be held to ransom here, either they accept a respectable offer or we walk. I think ultimately £60 million plus add ons to take it to £70 million will likely seal the deal.
We need to pay up. There isn't an alternative of comparable quality to De Jong. This pre-historic charade that United insist on playing isn't fooling anyone. It's all just PR.

Giggsy13

We need to pay up. There isn't an alternative of comparable quality to De Jong. This pre-historic charade that United insist on playing isn't fooling anyone. It's all just PR.
Or just negotiation. Blowing a big chunk of the budget on de Jong is not wise when we have other positions to fill. Barca need to sell and we need to leverage that as strongly as possible.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Funny that with Di Maria. It is basically same situation but hey, this is shiny new toy so lets laugh to people who mention Di Maria example.
Wasn't Di Maria a Woodward purchase? If so, the difference here is ten Hag actually wants the player. I'm not sure LvG felt the same about Angel.

NewYorkRed

Funny that with Di Maria. It is basically same situation but hey, this is shiny new toy so lets laugh to people who mention Di Maria example.
I mean, this is pretty different to the ADM scenario. For every dimaria, there is a Robben, WS etc.

Giggsy13

People understand the reference, it’s the fact it’s fecking being repeated and repeated like it’s newsworthy and profound. We get it, it’s like di Maria, but time to move on to something more interesting like signing de Jong.

BarstoolProphet

I like how everyone plays fast and loose with the currency sign when we're involved but with Liverpool it's always accurate.
That's because the Liverpool journos like James Pearce takes pride in putting Liverpool in a good light, unlike the bitter randoms that cover United.

diarm

It's not really though is it. There are 2 major differences.

Firstly, Di Maria wasn't coming to play for the manager under whom he made his name.

And secondly, Liverpool are decent now so more of their fans will be at home watching them play and less will be out robbing houses.

Suv666

When do the internationals end?
Expect this to be done as soon as the games are done

themanguydude

Not quite sure why people are getting giddy.
Seems very early in the classic sagas we have. Expect us to be "preparing" a bid by July.
There's no preparing to bid in July.

We either get him by 30th June or Barca have absolutely no reason to sell.

And seeing Barca themselve need to sell to get their transfer in, this whole saga will probably conclude by the end of next week at most.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wasn't Di Maria a Woodward purchase? If so, the difference here is ten Hag actually wants the player. I'm not sure LvG felt the same about Angel.
I mean, this is pretty different to the ADM scenario. For every dimaria, there is a Robben, WS etc.
Problem with ADM wasn't our desire to sign him. Problem was that player came here after he was literally forced out by Real. Adm didn't want to leave

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Robben teared it up at Bayern after being forced out of Real Madrid but lets just keep mentioning Di Maria.

Rolaholic

It's not though is it?

Basically the same situation would've been if Don Carlo had been our coach at the time and wanted to sign ADM (who had his career best season under him) that summer.

lex talionis

We need quality. Los of quality, but we need quality. Pay up for quality or remain mired in mediocrity.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Problem with ADM wasn't our desire to sign him. Problem was that player came here after he was literally forced out by Real. Adm didn't want to leave
Yeah that's a fair assessment. Still think Frenkie would be different as we have ten Hag so there's at least something worth coming here for.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why are people getting excited? Because at the end of these saga's we usually get the player we want, a player that everyone says we have no chance of signing. Pogba saga ended with us signing Pogba. Sancho's two year saga ended with us signing Sancho. And so on and so forth.
How did the Griezmann saga go? Or Sneijder? Or countless other wastemen.

fps

So Frenkie's the big will he won't he for the summer is he?

If there aren't other massive signings made the club will struggle to match last season's finish.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fecking hate international football
The big tournaments just about justify it as a concept still I think.

But on the whole it's getting close to being a totally redundant concept, having not been the top level of football for a long time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So Frenkie's the big will he won't he for the summer is he?

If there aren't other massive signings made the club will struggle to match last season's finish.
You don't think we could get higher than 6th without a massive overhaul?
Even though presumably we'll actually have a manager with half a clue?

Is it the same? Di Maria hated LVG very early doors, had never worked with him previously and he and his family wanted to go to Paris.

Frenkie is more like Robben or Sneijder, both preferred to stay at Madrid, but the club wanted rid and they accepted it and took the new opportunity with both hands.

fps

You don't think we could get higher than 6th without a massive overhaul?
Even though presumably we'll actually have a manager with half a clue?
I see a squad with lots of different kinds of player, and I see a lack of quality running right through it. I think we've paid outrageous sums of money for players who aren't good enough to be in a Champions League team. How a coach fixes a team where you have certain players built for one kind of play being totally hamstrung because others aren't even slightly suited for it, I don't know. We've got an attacking fullback on one side, totally defensive one on the other, a terribly slow centre half forcing the defence to drop deep, but we want to press further up, we have a series of mediocre talents on the wings, only one high quality striker, who is 37, it's a total mess.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The big tournaments just about justify it as a concept still I think.

But on the whole it's getting close to being a totally redundant concept, having not been the top level of football for a long time.
Complete opposite for me. I vastly prefer international football over club football. I suppose it's because our country is much better than our league :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.