Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
He’s a journalist who asked the question post-match. He kind of help to put the words in De Jong’s mouth mentioning twice that he was already at a great club.

How else was he supposed to answer that question? It seemed like pretty standard 'evade controversy' stuff to me.

If the move doesn't happen, he's kept Barcelona sweet. If the move does happen, he hasn't said anything other than state the bleeding obvious.

It's not an quote to worked up over either way.

Trex

This place never cease to amaze me. Holy shit.

Listen to how that question is asked and you would understand that it’s a nothing answer.

If we can agree a fee, he will come.
He fell for the media trap then and gave them their headline.

USREDEVIL

I'm not sure it's a "nothing comment." He's clearly making a point that he wants to stay at Barca and considers it the biggest club in the world. He's not throwing stones at United or anything but he's not saying "come get me" either. He clearly would like to stay. That's a bit worrying to me.

Acquire Me

How else was he supposed to answer that question? It seemed like pretty standard 'evade controversy' stuff to me.

If the move doesn't happen, he's kept Barcelona sweet. If the move does happen, he hasn't said anything other than state the bleeding obvious.

It's not an quote to worked up over either way.
It is obviously a nothing comment. Barca is not the biggest club in the world though :p

SuperiorXI

I'm not sure it's a "nothing comment." He's clearly making a point that he wants to stay at Barca and considers it the biggest club in the world. He's not throwing stones at United or anything but he's not saying "come get me" either. He clearly would like to stay. That's a bit worrying to me.
Careful you'll get called hysterical for such opinions.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's possible that DeJong has been told that the deal might not be happening. Interesting he says this a few hours after Ornstein says we're looking at Eriksen as a possible alternative to DeJong. Wouldn't be surprised if this cools off now. Let's see. Great player but not our player. He may never be.
Don’t know how you’ve read this an interpreted it as it’s going to cool down but I got the complete opposite impression.

redshaw

It's possible that DeJong has been told that the deal might not be happening. Interesting he says this a few hours after Ornstein says we're looking at Eriksen as a possible alternative to DeJong. Wouldn't be surprised if this cools off now. Let's see. Great player but not our player. He may never be.

Yes it does seem like the fee is a big issue, both sides will be confident to hold ground so sadly it will mean De Jong stays and United will look a bit lower and try to build from there.

Giggsy13

Unless he's near the end of his contract Wolves aren't going to be letting go for cheap, you looking at upwards of 50m at the very least.
And I think £50 million is fair for a player who is proven and done well in the PL. Now imagine some elite coaching and better players around him and he might take that next step in his career to becoming a top midfielder. Add Eriksen on a free and we are looking much better and without blowing our budget. I see the excitement with de Jong but not at the risk of hampering other moves we could make.

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
That is not the kind of comment you make when you are on the verge of joining a new club. Time to move on and get in players that want to play for us.

AshRK

Bad feeling this is turning to be fabregas 2.0. Barca wants to sell him but he is not sure about leaving.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Careful you'll get called hysterical for such opinions.
But it is a nothing comment. It's clear from all the updates we've had so far that the outcome of the negotiations is still undecided.
He's simply staying neutral and letting it play out. Anything else would fuel more unnecessary speculation. Also, that journalist asked the question like an idiot, unless of course his intention was to get Frenkie to reaffirm his respect for his current club, in which case, he succeeded.
Either way, if United and Barca reach an agreement, I'm certain he'll come and be dedicated to ETH and our team.

Giggsy13

Apologies if it's already been posted but I don't have the time to wade through the thread to find out
This is not enough. I need to see him making out with the Barca president draped in a Catalunya flag.

Tarrou

Apologies if it's already been posted but I don't have the time to wade through the thread to find out
It's the reason the muppets have lost their shit in the last few pages

It's a bit of a non-answer, for me

Zevvythered

The journalist literally put words in his mouth, and this has already been pointed out.
Anybody that thinks this is happening needs to watch this!!!

we ain’t a big club anymore, yes we can offer top wages, but there is so much money available, that players can pick and chose their next port of call… Mark my words he ain’t choosing united

GL21

Although the words are the same the video portrays a different picture...Frenkie is coming

croadyman

We need him & Eriksen but have really lost hope in this deal after how he spoke in post match interview then Ornstein's tweet as well

AdNani

That is not the kind of comment you make when you are on the verge of joining a new club. Time to move on and get in players that want to play for us.
great let's sign Shite players because they're desperate to come...

it beggars belief that people think we'd get so far into a deal, after Ten Hag speaking to him and club speaking to his agent, without the knowledge he's keen.

Robben didn't want to leave Real, Sneijder didn't. they both went on to have World class careers after they left.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
“It’s always nice when teams show interest in you but I’m a Barcelona player” is all he really needed to say. Those saying it’s a nothing comment are a little too eager to ignore that fact that he doesn’t want to leave and continues to dig his heels in. I mean we’re about 3 weeks away from him doing these interviews in Barcelona pyjamas.

It’s a bit like when Pogba would go away with France and in some interview out of nowhere mention how he’s always liked the idea of playing in an all white kit and having Paella for tea. Then you’d get people rushing to defend him, acting like he hasn’t been shaking his arse at other clubs for the last 4 years. This summer is supposed to be about getting rid of players who don’t want to play for us, do we really want to buy another?

croadyman

great let's sign Shite players because they're desperate to come...

it beggars belief that people think we'd get so far into a deal, after Ten Hag speaking to him and club speaking to his agent, without the knowledge he's keen.

Robben didn't want to leave Real, Sneijder didn't. they both went on to have World class careers after they left.
Yeah so where is the proof he is even remotely interested, have to say there hasn't been any evidence at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.