Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincantona

Quite frankly, if we signed De Jong on Friday 24th June, for example, it is quite simply an ‘early deal’. The deal is not ‘dragging’, and there is, at this point, every chance we sign him with more than 2 full months of the window remaining. Yet fans are moaning constantly about how everything takes so long with United. In fact, people have been posting for around 5 or 6 weeks that we should ‘move on’ to another target.
Are fans moaning about this dragging on? Or are fans moaning that this deal...much like deals in the past...seems to be holding up our other transfer activity.

1) We needed an overhaul and replacement of first team squad members this year more than any other summer in the past 10 years. The number of departures is unprecedented as is our poor form last season.

2) RR was hired as interim for the sole purpose of allowing us have everything in place for the new manager. ETH was announced months ago. For what? To approach our summer in the exact same way as we do every year?

3) To compound things, City and Pool have have operated ultra efficiently this season.

That squad has gaping holes at full back, centre back, centre midfield and centre forward. Considering the loss of squad players, in order to even contemplate 4th place, we need - a full back that stays fit and can deliver a cross, a centre back that stays fit and can handle the press, a DM, a CF who can press and score goals.

No point getting the best manager on the market and not backing him. Pep got how much for fullbacks!?

Pre season is a waste for us year after year. It’s fine for fans to be nervous about that happening again because arguably, there is much more at stake this year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Are fans moaning about this dragging on? Or are fans moaning that this deal...much like deals in the past...seems to be holding up our other transfer activity.

1) We needed an overhaul and replacement of first team squad members this year more than any other summer in the past 10 years. The number of departures is unprecedented as is our poor form last season.

2) RR was hired as interim for the sole purpose of allowing us have everything in place for the new manager. ETH was announced months ago. For what? To approach our summer in the exact same way as we do every year?

3) To compound things, City and Pool have have operated ultra efficiently this season.

That squad has gaping holes at full back, centre back, centre midfield and centre forward. Considering the loss of squad players, in order to even contemplate 4th place, we need - a full back that stays fit and can deliver a cross, a centre back that stays fit and can handle the press, a DM, a CF who can press and score goals.

No point getting the best manager on the market and not backing him. Pep got how much for fullbacks!?

Pre season is a waste for us year after year. It’s fine for fans to be nervous about that happening again because arguably, there is much more at stake this year.
They are moaning about everything, as usual.

LuckyScout78

A statement buy from Ten Hag and United.

If Ten Hag and United can get De Jong. Then its a signal Unite and Ten Hag really mean it.

Ten Hag and United need "the brain and mind of the team". Like Scholes was for United. On a consistent top level. And De Jong is a conistent player. A fast but precise thinker player. Like Scholes. Don't talk to much. But let his right feet tell it.

As soon as better. To more time to gel with his new teammates. And his new teammates knows how is thinking and playing on the pitch. Football understanding and relations on the pitch. As earlier as better.

And last thing of all. Legend never walk alone. So in this case. I am agreeing with Liverpool you will never walk alone.

And a first future world class player is arriving at United. More legends will follow him.

Like after Cantona...legends and winners they dont and fight alone.

De Jong is not world class yet. Has to do it over a few years period. But his skills and mindset. I rate it really high. Not Kevin De Bruyne level over a long time period as CM and RCM yet. But give him a plattform to work with and time. I think and believe De Jong has what it takes to be the "mind and brain of the team"

crossy1686

career ending
So many red flags. We should definitely walk away
Yea and no. It seems the player is willing to move otherwise he would have shot this down and we wouldn’t be continuing to bid or speak to his agent.

We know that Barcelona are under more pressure to raise funds by July 1st and they’re hoping they can hold out for another bidder to push his price higher than we want to go, because let’s face it, they know we’re desperate and we’ll probably pay it in the end.

Real Madrid splashing £80m on a new CM hasn’t helped things either.

And I’m no transfer muppet but I do think this will happen at some point this summer.

Withnail

Yea and no. It seems the player is willing to move otherwise he would have shot this down and we wouldn’t be continuing to bid or speak to his agent.

We know that Barcelona are under more pressure to raise funds by July 1st and they’re hoping they can hold out for another bidder to push his price higher than we want to go, because let’s face it, they know we’re desperate and we’ll probably pay it in the end.

And I’m no transfer muppet but I do think this will happen at some point this summer.
I was completely taking the piss with that post. The deal is at an advanced stage and we're quibbling over a few quid and the structure. There's every reason to believe it'll get done.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

How do you mean by shot it down? Like saying he played for the biggest club in the world and it's a non story?

crossy1686

career ending
How do you mean by shot it down? Like saying he played for the biggest club in the world and it's a non story?
Like “I’m not going anywhere, I have a contract, I intend to see it out” etc.

From what it sounds like, Xavi wants him, he’s happy to stay but the board and president have to sell players to keep Barcelona afloat.

crossy1686

career ending
I was completely taking the piss with that post. The deal is at an advanced stage and we're quibbling over a few quid and the structure. There's every reason to believe it'll get done.
:lol: Hard to tell what’s satire on here anymore.

But yeah, it seems like it will get done. I doubt mind them negotiating the price down, we need to stop bending over for clubs and players.

LuckyScout78

Have heard he want to play as nr.6. The first one of the receive the ball from defend. A DM. A nr.6 to spread passes around. BUT.....if you have skill and flair like De Bruyne. Do you think any manager will play De Bruyne as DM? Of course De Bruyne can play as DM too. Against parking bus team that give City to dictate the ball.

But to get the best out of 433 and total football. Every teams that are using that formation and style. Need a top RCM and LCM like De Bruyne and Iniesta.

De Bruyne - Rodri - Iniesta

And why do you need De Bruyne and Iniesta there?

Because De Bruyne and Iniesta have skills and flair to beat and pass players easily. From central midfield area. And to connect with the attacking 3 upfront. And beside those skills. They are capable of scoring goals very often.

And to compare to it. Do you United have those RCM and LCM in the team to play 433 and Ten Hag football? In Fred, McTom, Bruno, DVB and Hannibal? On the highest level in those roles? Simple No.

Maybe : DVB - De Jong - Bruno. Can be good enough for top 4. But let us forgot about winning the league with this 3 trio.

And with the De Jong skills, flair and creative need more upfront in the attack. Then the ideal DM balance CM can be Declan Rice. Maybe and not big chance both of De Jong and Rice in this summer transfer window.

Maybe next summer. Season 23/24:

Bruno - Rice - De Jong . This cm trio....can battle and level City and Liverpool CM trio. Then with this 3 cm trio. United and Ten Hag can talking about chasing the premier leauge title.

Sum up and conclusion. United need De Jong more as nr.8 than nr.6. But if this season. Fred or Garner are not up to there as DM like this :

Bruno - Fred/Garner - DeJong. Then he can go play as DM :

Alternative can be : Hannibal/DVB - De Jong/Fred - Bruno/DVB/De Jong

But again. De Jong has the ability, skills and vision of De Bruyne. Using De Bruyne and De Jong as DM are just wasted of talent. Talent of flair and ability to pass opponent players.

Hopefully Fred or Garner can do the job as DM. Good enough for top 4 and champion league football. I think Garner can do the job as DM. When it come to dictate and spread the pass around from deep cm area.
I haven't seen Garner play as DM or CM on premier league level. But i think Garner has the engine, guts and drive in him. And the passing ability too. Garner might needs time to get use to play as DM on the highest level weeks in and weeks out. Practise, practise and get use to it are key factors. And with the guidances and mentor in Ten Hag. I think Garner can help United to top 4 in that DM role.

But 4231 might be different and another case and theme.

De Jong - Fred are are different

Example: Raphinha - De JOng - Fred - Rashford/Sancho + Bruno + Ronaldo/Rashford

4231 is totally different from 433.

But from the beginning. If Ten Hag will use 433. Then De Jong is most needes as LCM.

Pearl.Jam

The simple fact of the matter is that we’ve put bids in, and that won’t happen without FDJ giving the green light to a transfer, whether or not it happens is up to Barca but to say the player doesn’t want to play here is utter horseshit!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Can someone explain why this takes so long, I am intrigued.

Arnold said that Murthough is working day and night, why?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can someone explain why this takes so long, I am intrigued.

Arnold said that Murthough is working day and night, why?
Barcelona want a very high price, we don't want to pay said price.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Quite frankly, if we signed De Jong on Friday 24th June, for example, it is quite simply an ‘early deal’. The deal is not ‘dragging’, and there is, at this point, every chance we sign him with more than 2 full months of the window remaining. Yet fans are moaning constantly about how everything takes so long with United. In fact, people have been posting for around 5 or 6 weeks that we should ‘move on’ to another target.
Moanchester United fans.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Its just a phrase and not to be taken literally.
Sure but it does insinuate that Murthough has been working incredibly hard, for weeks and we havent yet even put in a second bid.

So what is he working on?

Himannv

But why the working night and day, is there any account of negotiations to take that long, for weeks?
I'm not sure if it is literally night and day, but there is some work involved. There's negotiation with agents and clubs, discussions with our own coaching staff, board, scouts, finance and legal people, contract offer creation and bid creation with input from finance and legal teams + obtaining signatures, other associated documentation to create, league registration process, medical arrangements, and perhaps even shareholder approval, idk. There are probably internal negotiations and approvals for each offer to any external party, hard to say for sure.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I'm not sure if it is literally night and day, but there is some work involved. There's negotiation with agents and clubs, discussions with our own coaching staff, board, scouts, finance and legal people, contract offer creation and bid creation with input from finance and legal teams + obtaining signatures, other associated documentation to create, league registration process, medical arrangements, and perhaps even shareholder approval, idk. There are probably internal negotiations and approvals for each offer to any external party, hard to say for sure.
All very sensible points.

It's interesting as we have already made a first offer though, and I wonder how this can happen so quickly on let's say deadline day.

bosskeano

It's never easy getting a high profile player from another high profile club UNLESS you just pay their release clause. This one in particular is difficult due to the financial situation that Barcelona find themselves so they want every euro they can get for FDJ. Along with the fact that the player himself wasn't completely open to the move when first presented to him b/c he's playing CL football with Barcelona while United aren't.

So you're dealing with a financial factor and a sporting factor amongst the contractual negotiations which i'm sure has complications due to add on clauses, player rights , media rights etc....

choccy77

No, no, it's going to be different this year, honest. :nervous:

Himannv

All very sensible points.

It's interesting as we have already made a first offer though, and I wonder how this can happen so quickly on let's say deadline day.
I think deadline day deals require at least some amount of work done on the previous day(s), but it probably means very long hours for some people. I think deals are generally easier to do if there is willingness from all parties and some kind of verbal agreement about the fee.

fps

If De Jong arrives, he's another DiMaria, in the sense that he wants to stay at his current club. United cruise downtown to pay top dollar for reluctant clients.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think deadline day deals require at least some amount of work done on the previous day(s), but it probably means very long hours for some people. I think deals are generally easier to do if there is willingness from all parties and some kind of verbal agreement about the fee.
Deadline day deals are certainly being worked on before, usually if a deal is brand new even the day before deadline day it ends up in a loan

Status
Not open for further replies.