Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew7582

Nah there are loads of stuff. Win champions league, win league or cups are the most common ones then things like appearances or goals
Yeah I can really see Barca agreeing to ''win CL'' or ''win the league'' clauses when we haven't done either in nearly a decade...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah that was the exception rather than the norm

Normally they are based on appearances.
They are not. The type of add-ons are typically dictated by the type of player. If a team signed Mbappé or Neymar as extreme examples, there will be no add ons for 25 appearances. If we had signed Fabio Carvalho from Fulham, the types of add ons are likely to include appearances, international call-ups etc.

People keep mentioning Martial, there were many reports of Bruno having a similar clause. Real Madrid have just paid Chelsea more money for Hazard because they won the CL.

Any clauses for De Jong will reflect his status as a big money signing intended to help lead us to honours. Appearances are obviously a given.

Bondi77

I see all the talk on United needing to sign so many players. Unlike majority here I still believe in some of our players and weird enough I still respect Ralf too but not for his opinion on this one. Signing players for the sake of it has never solved anyones problems.

Look at Chelsea with Tammy Abraham and Giroud . Everyone thought they were upgrading with Lukaku and Werner but they were wrong. Same with Mount and Ziyech or Pulisic.
You can say the same about Sancho so far who hasn’t yet proven to be better than Rashford in this United team.

Don’t get me wrong I would love signings but coaching this team is far more important than any recruitment

This team needs to be coached. Shaw, Maguire , Bailly, Fred, Fernandez Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho and possibly FDG can’t be a mid table team. Most of us are struggling to come up with Names that will outright improve our first 11.
Good post mate.
For most on here they just feed on any new name that the media or muppets like Fab bollocks throw on to the plate when there is no substance whatsoever but I suppose the clubs don’t mind as they get publicity and that means money.
I agree that if we have a really good coach to coach the team and the players run harder than the opposition and we make some shrewd signings than we are a good bet to compete for honours next season.

Barthez

That's nearly £80 million isn't it with add ons included, in addition to his very large wages. That's a big financial commitment, he better deliver for us.
Better value than the £100m City spunked on party animal and resident drunk Grealish

Adamsk7

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. If that is indeed the fee then United have successfully negotiated Barcelona down from £80+ million pounds up front to the 69+ add ons.

Edit: perhaps you're thinking in straight euros. We've saved basically 20 m euros
I thought they wanted 80 million euros? If so, that’s what we are paying (£69m). We’re also potentially giving them another 20 million euros in variables. Until we know how easy or hard they are to achieve I guess we won’t know the true value. I’m just saying if we were willing to go this high, we should have saved ourselves weeks of pointless negotiation where it seems we’ve given them exactly what they wanted

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought they wanted 80 million euros? If so, that’s what we are paying (£69m). We’re also potentially giving them another 20 million euros in variables. Until we know how easy or hard they are to achieve I guess we won’t know the true value. I’m just saying if we were willing to go this high, we should have saved ourselves weeks of pointless negotiation where it seems we’ve given them exactly what they wanted
I don’t get this logic. Even if we were willing to ultimately meet their asking price, why does that mean we should have saved ourselves weeks and not bothered to get a lower one? If our efforts to do that have been unsuccessful and we end up paying the price, what have we lost? Other than moaning fans on the net and journos feeding off of it, it’s still June and hardly a ‘late’ signing if we do it now. The player is on holiday anyway.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No they wanted 100m. We are paying 80m which includes the addon. The fee being mentioned is “reaching 80m with addons”. Negotiating for weeks in off season when player in question is on vacation is not pointless. The only thing “paying what they originally demanded” would have achieved is to pacify internet mobs

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I don’t get this logic. Even if we were willing to ultimately meet their asking price, why does that mean we should have saved ourselves weeks and not bothered to get a lower one? If our efforts to do that have been unsuccessful and we end up paying the price, what have we lost? Other than moaning fans on the net and journos feeding off of it, it’s still June and hardly a ‘late’ signing if we do it now. The player is on holiday anyway.
Because they get physical pain from negotiations dragging on and their fragile minds will suffer from rollercoaster tweets (one day the deal is done, the other day ehsanul posts a tweet saying it’s over).

It’s the stage before they are saying “im bored of this saga now” whilst still refreshing and posting in the thread 200 times a day.

Rolaholic

:lol: :lol:

Comes from this MD cover story

No clue where they'll get Bernardo Silva money without selling FDJ

James35

If the add ons are for trophy wins then our money is certainly safe.

A lot of money £69m but still less than Maguire, hopefully we get this done and he reports to Carrington on July 4th along with Eriksen.

Players that can pass are such a novelty for us these days.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because they get physical pain from negotiations dragging on and their fragile minds will suffer from rollercoaster tweets (one day the deal is done, the other day ehsanul posts a tweet saying it’s over).

It’s the stage before they are saying “im bored of this saga now” whilst still refreshing and posting in the thread 200 times a day.
Sounds about the sum of it.

Dempsey19

Eh? We've supposedly already offered more than that.
Don't think so? Other report is 69 million pounds with add-ons.

So it could be 51.5 million pounds with the rest made up in add-ons.

Current exchange rate puts it at 80 million euros total if all add-ons are met.

Robaldo

Would it not be a bit much having Bruno, Frenkie, Eriksen (supposedly not dependent on de Jong), and Van de Beek as advanced midfielders?

If de Jong WERE to fall through, I could live with signing Eriksen and then positions we more obviously need to fill - full backs, forward, deeper midfielder...

Basa1987

Good post mate.
For most on here they just feed on any new name that the media or muppets like Fab bollocks throw on to the plate when there is no substance whatsoever but I suppose the clubs don’t mind as they get publicity and that means money.
I agree that if we have a really good coach to coach the team and the players run harder than the opposition and we make some shrewd signings than we are a good bet to compete for honours next season.
Agreed. If Eddie Howe can rejuvenate bloody Joelinton, Ten Hag should be able to give life to a blow-up doll, let alone Rashford and Martial.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
sign de jong and weaken city? oh go on then

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's worth it. You're going to see it when our midfield goes from not being able to hold the ball to functioning properly, resisting press, and passing properly. You're going to see us building from the back and by the end of the season we'll probably rival City and Liverpool at building from the back. You have no idea just how much quality De Jong adds on the ball. He's superb.

The only issue that I'm worried about are the next midfield signings. Signing is pointless if he's passing to Fred and Mctominay.
Since I've seen better players than De Jong fail at this club and that he's never impressed me that much in all the games I've seen him play, no one will be able to convince me that those sums of money mentioned aren't exaggerated.

Hoof the ball

I'd say about right. He's not been great there and players like Jesus from City is costing less, and he's been decent for a team much better than Barca.
The season before last he was exceptional under Koeman in his wing-back system. In fact, he was their 2nd best player behind Messi that season because Koeman being a Dutchman and understanding his role with Netherlands, was able to utilise him in a way in which Xavi has not.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘But what is the point of negotiating, just walk away’. Let’s not try to chronicle the day to day of a transfer negotiation from our armchairs perhaps.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I expect news to counter all the positive news of the last hour, just to fire up the expected Anti Glazers protest :wenger:

Bondi77

So negotiations are ongoing but a bid has not been made yet??????
What the feck does that mean!

Status
Not open for further replies.