Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Pogba was better for Juventus than de Jong has been for Barcelona or Ajax.
Two completely different types of player, though. De Jong does the fundamentals well and his signing should be more beneficial for the team, Pogba is/was more of an individual, flair player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You make a fair point. And I think it’s true that it wasn’t always for no reason but I do recall plenty of times where he could have passed the bsll but instead got locked into a 1v1 where he wanted to prove how strong he was. It only ever bothered me when we weren’t winning to be fair. I was a Pogba fan also, never understood the amount of hate - just an observation regarding hold up specifically.
Not really, it didn't happen plenty of times, it does happen and the most egregious case of it isn't even for United but France against Turkey. For United the usual situation was one of players launching the ball toward a marked Pogba, Pogba is a player that will pass the ball quickly when he has options, on few occasion he doesn't which is upsetting but it has never been a regular thing. And as I said what you are describing isn't limited to Pogba, it's something that several of our more talented players have had to deal with and generally struggled, Matic and Bruno mainly, Pogba just happens to be the main target for our back four and the other center midfielder due to playing more than Matic and playing deeper than Bruno.

Anyway, someone like De Jong is one of the building blocks to fix these ball retention/recycling issues, the other is to jettison Wan Bissaka, De Gea and McTominay.

TheDosser56

Ronaldo is not a centre forward in my opinion and I just don't see him scoring 20 league goals
He almost did score 20 League Goals last season (and would have if he actually started the season and didn't join a few games in). And he's the best centre-forward the club have and can get this summer. Getting a striker who is capable of scoring the goals Ronaldo can would cost the club about 100M+ which the club just can't afford this summer so really Ronaldo is doing the club a favour by staying (if he does) and that's what United fans should want.. goal-scoring is the hardest part of football like Roy Keane said. Lower your expectations about getting everything in one summer please. Baby steps. Be happy with the club getting De Jong and breaking the internet.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It wasn't for no reason, more often than not, it was due to a lack of pass option. In fact the same things have happened to Bruno, lately Bruno has been the target of unfair criticism due to his inability to keep it simple in our own half or propensity to try to milk a foul but what kind of options was he given? That's why you need someone like De Jong on top of having players likes Bruno and or Pogba, they are meant to help each others make moving the ball easier by creating exit options.
Exactly!

Our exit options from the goalkeeper to the front 3 have been shocking over the last many years. I cringe more about our present defenders trying to play out from the back, and our midfielders have hardly made life easy for them by creating simple passing lanes.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Anyway, someone like De Jong is one of the building blocks to fix these ball retention/recycling issues, the other is to jettison Wan Bissaka, De Gea and McTominay.
I'm confused, I thought no one liked him because he wasn't progressive enough/took any risks, not because he was giving the ball away.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm confused, I thought no one liked him because he wasn't progressive enough/took any risks, not because he was giving the ball away.
The players I mentioned don't give the ball away, they don't make themselves available for easy pass options and they have the habit of getting rid of the ball to players that are already marked. The not progressive don't take risk is done by putting teammates under pressure and in situations where they have to take the risks.

King Eric 7

Romero is just rambling on at the moment about nothing in particular and now there's an advert break. WTF am I watching?!

WPMUFC

He just said something else about FDJ but i have no clue, one of the twitter accounts please update :lol:

croadyman

What’s your point? I have no doubt we will sign this guy...my point was that posters are being slagged off for being negative but there is sweet FA to be positive about in how the club has handled its buisiness once again.

and FDJ and Eriksen are not going to make up for having no full backs of any quality, shit/injured centre halves, a striker that can run and any real options off the bench. RR had it right, we needed a reset and a significant number of new, hungry, well scouted signings. Instead we get a shiny new expensive toy and some freebies (Sancho and Ronny sound familiar?). Same every year. I suppose, considering the shit show of last season, it would have been nice to see a fresh approach from the club.

anyway De Jong will be a start.
Oh yeah there is at least another 4 pieces of the first XI puzzle, could say 5 if you include a proper number 9 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.