Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly it feels weird that a transfer sum would be agreed with the club before personal terms are agreed, sounds like Barca are indeed trying to ship him off against his will.

I'm not a big fan of De Jong and I'd 8-2 see him at Bayern, for example.
Because it's probably nonsense.

Personal terms were likely agreed in principle before the club bid on the player.

Bobade

If the reports are true and Chelsea are hijacking the move, we can say goodbye to De Jong. Why on earth would he choose us over Chelsea?
Even outside the manager piece, is it that hard to imagine a player choosing us over Chelsea? Why are you making out like we are minnows while Chelsea are some titans of world football?

We had a bad season last year but the year before we finished ahead of Chelsea. We're a bigger club with more history. One of the biggest clubs to play for in world football.

Maticmaker

What is difficult to ignore is that there doesn't seem to be any other clubs bidding for FDJ?
Why not? Is it because the man has said time and again he does not want to leave Barca, that he wants CL football and in any case it rains all the time in Manchester?

However kicking and screaming, I can see him arriving in Manchester suitcase packed with 'loads a money', kissing the badge as he walks out on to the pitch at OT.

You really couldn't make it up could you? Oh yes we could, it is the Theatre of Dreams after all ... lets hope it doesn't turn into the Theatre of Nightmares for Frenkie...or us!

OpenIntrovert

I have horrible flashbacks to when Chelsea gazumped everyone for Hazard.
Chelsea gazumped us for Mikel and Robben but for Hazard, there were moves from both clubs but he eventually chose Chelsea.

This one is different since we made the move first and have a fee agreed in principle. For Chelsea to gazump us, the offer must be higher than 65 million which is a significant investment for them, considering the other big budget moves they are making. They don't have a free flowing budget just because there is a new owner.

What is difficult to ignore is that there doesn't seem to be any other clubs bidding for FDJ?
Why not? Is it because the man has said time and again he does not want to leave Barca, that he wants CL football and in any case it rains all the time in Manchester?
I’d imagine it’s because they’ve sounded out his agent and he’s said that if he is to leave Barcelona then he’s only interested in joining Erik ten Hag.

Maticmaker

I’d imagine it’s because they’ve sounded out his agent and he’s said that if he is to leave Barcelona then he’s only interested in joining Erik Ten Hag.
You'd better hope and pray that's it... ETH will get off to the worst start ever, if this all goes pear-shaped!

You'd better hope and pray that's it... ETH will get off to the worst start ever, if this all goes pear-shaped!
Top players leave clubs all the time and often there’s “only one club in for them”, as with Mane.

It’s obvious bollocks but players inform their agents of a preferred choice, nothing odd about that at all. FDJ had made clear he much prefers to play deeper, a position he won’t get at Barça, so there’s nothing at all strange with him deciding that a departure from that club has to be to a manager that has used him best and where he most enjoyed his football.

Being a Cryuff lad, Barca was his dream club, but it hasn’t turned out as hoped so far so why risk joining another club and manager that might not know how to get the best out of you?

You’re also forgetting that Frenkie and his missus have spent 98% of their lives in pretty rainy places.

WPMUFC

my best guess on this come from a few angles. 1. a lot of the top european teams are stacked in midfield, 2. we got in so early and went so hard that barca sounding out other clubs actually risks MUFC walking and other clubs getting a better deal. By focusing on talks with MUFC, whom they know want FDJ above all else, they can likely have better talks and get a better fee from a club that will not walk away at the right price. 3 ETH will have some influence on FDJ decision making.

Other clubs could be very interested, however barca have to be careful and productive one-on-one talks is vastly more likely to get your intended desired outcome than playing everyone off against each other.

OpenIntrovert

However kicking and screaming, I can see him arriving in Manchester suitcase packed with 'loads a money', kissing the badge as he walks out on to the pitch at OT.

You really couldn't make it up could you? Oh yes we could, it is the Theatre of Dreams after all ... lets hope it doesn't turn into the Theatre of Nightmares for Frenkie...or us!
Its simple actually. The clubs that can afford Frenkie's transfer fee and his wages are us, Chelsea, City and PSG. PSG are stocked in midfield and FDJ won't be chased by City since they have a wealth of options in midfield and they just bought Kelvin Phillips. Chelsea's advances seems to be made up by the media to create some spice. Chelsea are well stocked with options in DM with at least 3 players there, unless Tuchel is thinking of partnering Mount with someone more well-rounded.

Maticmaker

Top players leave clubs all the time and often there’s “only one club in for them”, as with Mane.

It’s obvious bollocks but players inform their agents of a preferred choice, nothing odd about that at all. FDJ had made clear he much prefers to play deeper, a position he won’t get at Barça, so there’s nothing at all strange with him deciding that a departure from that club has to be to a manager that has used him best and where he most enjoyed his football.

Being a Cryuff lad, Barca was his dream club, but it hasn’t turned out as hoped so far so why risk joining another club and manager that might not know how to get the best out of you?

You’re also forgetting that Frenkie and his missus have spent 98% of their lives in pretty rainy places.
Yes of course they do, but the 'feel' to of all this (granted only surmised via the media) is that he is being pushed, rather than jumping. Going back to play for your old boss can be looked at two ways, 'yes he understands me'... or 'yes he understands me too well. The lack of CL football must also grate on a player, at his age!

I hope your analysis is correct, but if Chelsea are sniffing about... it could all end in tears!

however barca have to be careful and productive one-on-one talks is vastly more likely to get your intended desired outcome than playing everyone off against each other.
I thought the deal with the club is done...its now just with FDJ himself?

WPMUFC

I thought the deal with the club is done...its now just with FDJ himself?
The fixed fee is agreed and we are onto personal terms and add-ons. My reponse was trying to highlight multiple examples of why we got a deal agreed with no competition. The quote you have highlighted was to argue that Barca having productive, one-on-one discussions with one suitor is vastly more likely to get your desired outcome than trying to play everyone off against each other. The only thing barca care about is seemingly getting FDJ sold and the financial benefit of that situation. If they know MUFC will be credible players in negotiations, it builds a productive working relationship. Other clubs may be interested but like that Chelsea article highlighted, they might be waiting to see if the deal falls through (for some bizarre reason) and then they can come in with a low bid because barca are on the back foot.

Ted Lasso

Such a pessimistic take. On the flip side and more likely is that no one else is bothering because it's a done deal. Frenkie have wanted to stay at Barca but with the reality of their financial situation clear, he's looking forward to working with his beloved old manager. No other club has a chance.

NLunited

No way he is considering Chelsea, he chose MU because of Ten Hag.

btw you muppets are falling off the job. Time to started tracking jets.

Maticmaker

My reponse was trying to highlight multiple examples of why we got a deal agreed with no competition.
Yes I understand United were in first place, and given Barca's desperation for a huge payout they settled on us. I can also agree that most clubs at the top of PL are already fixed up... but there seemed, until relatively recently no other interest whatsoever, in FJD, e.g. I thought Newcastle might fancy their chances (now reputedly the richest club in the world etc) they cannot offer CL football either, but could probably offer more in personal terms to FDJ... is it much wetter in Newcastle, probably not... but an 'overcoat colder' (as my gran would say! :))?

croadyman

The optimist in me believes they want it wrapped by the start of the tour. The realist in me believes that discussions around add-on benchmarks are sooooo tedious that "it will be done as soon as it can, and it's 100% going to happen"
Yeah the second scenario looks more likely

LordSpud

Sounds to me like Barca cannot activate those new levers any time soon and need to crack on with their dealings. Anyway its leaning more and more towards a photo with 3 (or 4 with Eriksen!) of the new signings with the new kit launch next Friday before they fly off on tour!

RedAlert27

Even outside the manager piece, is it that hard to imagine a player choosing us over Chelsea? Why are you making out like we are minnows while Chelsea are some titans of world football?

We had a bad season last year but the year before we finished ahead of Chelsea. We're a bigger club with more history. One of the biggest clubs to play for in world football.
Please don't use the history rubbish. Chelsea would obviously be a more obvious choice for De Jong right now. It would be a no brainer. Champions league football and a more stable club with better players around him. Or come and try and sort our shambles of a midfield out because ... you know... we have better history.

Hammondo

Forgetting of course the months of football in Ole's caretaker reign where he almost single handedly carried the team and got him the job full time, wasn't it like 8 goals and 9 assists in 11 games? That's part of the reason my friend group was so negative with Ole from the start, Pogba next to Matic and Herrera was brilliant yet he shifted him back to a 2 behind Lingard at CAM.
Because teams adapted to him as CAM, under the press and he falls apart. He was moved back to have more space.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Please don't use the history rubbish. Chelsea would obviously be a more obvious choice for De Jong right now. It would be a no brainer. Champions league football and a more stable club with better players around him. Or come and try and sort our shambles of a midfield out because ... you know... we have better history.
Chelsea literally just got new owners, so the stability argument isn't really fair.

Everyone is so quick to downplay us, Chelsea are an attractive proposition but so is United, and it certainly isn't a no brainer to choose Chelsea over united.

cyberman

There is absolutely nothing stable about Chelsea at the minute

florisW

Supports
Ajax
To where would you go? The trainer that you know and you respect, former team mates and in the world Man Utd is still bigger than chelsea. Or a trainer you don’t know. He must have spoken to hakim ( whom is going to ac milan) about the trainer etc.

CallyRed

So when he says I'm so happy to be here in his first interview with Stuart Gardner on MUTV we will know he is lying through his teeth

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
This is just theatre right now. This deal is done and all parties are waiting for him to return to Europe, while the journalists collects their last clicks of this saga.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I don't get this about some United fans. Their perception of the club seems to rest on how they did the previous season and not a longitudinal approach.
United is amongst the top 3-5 clubs in the world. Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.