Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So weird to have one closely linked ITK going absolutely all in, whilst others are pretty much where most would assume the situation would be. Hoping Romero is right!

izec

It's simple Romero will be considered fraud if this is not happening but will maintain his reliability and creditability as good source of Barca if he gets this right because what Romero said is very daring IMO.
He has gone all in really. Our first signing even. No two ways about it.

AaronRedDevil

He's not coming here. He's desperately wants to stay and damn sure doesn't want to be anywhere near United. We should stear clear of him.

Prodigal7

He has gone all in really. Our first signing even. No two ways about it.
He could quite easily say that someone else came in for him at the last minute. Where he goes is an easy deflection but he seems to be committed to De Jong having to be sold.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've seen that Ten Hag plays a 4231.

Then I've read De Jong's best role is in a double pivot.

Who is his ideal partner that's not at the club already? His double pivot partner?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Memphis is on more than 200k it will be hard to convince anyone to pay anything substantial plus pay his wages. I am guessing the same of the others. Think about them as you would most of our squad. They belong in midtable teams but their salaries are above what those teams pay in wages.
This is just nonsense. It's well reported he signed for a modest salary because the club was in the dire straits.
He's way under 10 million/y according to every number you can find on it.

Memphis only has a year left on his deal and he'd also need to be replaced directly, as Barca are not that stacked in the forward department and he is their top scorer. Memphis is better than Braithwait, Ez Abde or Jutgla. Barca's other striker options: Aubemeyang, Torres, Ansu Fati (crock btw), Adama, maybe Gavi.

Wit FDJ the fee would be much greater and it would allow them to sign a RB, LB, CB. With Kessie on a free they have their midfield covered: Busquets, Gavi, Pedri, Kessie, Nico, Roberto, Puig.

They might sell both, but just selling Memphis won't cover their rebuild.

I've been saying this since last summer: It's worth for them to let FDJ go, 'cause with the exception of Araujo, their other defenders are fossils (Alba, Alves, Pique), or garbage (Dest, Mingueza).

izec

He could quite easily say that someone else came in for him at the last minute. Where he goes is an easy deflection but he seems to be committed to De Jong having to be sold.
Will be Ten Hag’s first signing is quite specific. Of course anything can happen, but he could say De Jong will leave Barca and United are in pole position at the moment, but nothing finalised/decided yet.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's not coming here. He's desperately wants to stay and damn sure doesn't want to be anywhere near United. We should stear clear of him.
Romero MUST have heard something pretty concrete to go that hard. He's not saying if or but, he says will.

He is a very close source to all things Barca, i'll believe him over fecking ESPN any day of the week.

He isn't even mentioning city etc, there must be a reason for that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd imagine if he were to be forced out of Barca Pep would be all over him and despite the ETH factor I think De Jong would rather go to City than us

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That would still ruin his creditability and reliability and lower his status as journalist.

Normally to be safe, you would say something what Fabrizio would say these days. Only people with not much reputation like Tier 5 journalist would be daring to take huge risk to make such daring statement since they had nothing to lose anyway if they say shit but Romero already gained his creditability as good Barcelona source, so he has lot of things to lose if he gets this wrong.

Adam-Utd

Who is his ideal partner that's not at the club already? His double pivot partner?
Fred you'd have to say. De Jong is the ball player, Fred the workhorse to play around him.

Bebestation

Fred you'd have to say. De Jong is the ball player, Fred the workhorse to play around him.
Who would you buy?

The thing is De Jong is not a replacement for Matic and we are going to need a defensive minded DM even if De Jong plays as a 6.

So who would you say his best possible partner would be to buy and put him in a double pivot?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Romero isn't tier 1 for Barcelona and FDJ doesn't seem to want to leave. Even if he did, will surely be a few others after him. All we have going for us (probably) is the ETH connection.

That being said, FDJ for 60mil and Kamara on free could prove a shrewd piece of business for us.
He most definitely is. Probably the number one.

Giggsy13

I am certain these were the things many people said (including myself) in the Varane thread. We’re still a prestigious and big club despite the absolute shambles of a season.

Robindinho

Phillips perhaps? Especially if Leeds go down. Never stops running, a good passer and he can sit and let De Jong roam.

Think Donny will get a chance as the 10 and Bruno plays wide...

Phillips De Jong

VdB

Sancho Ronaldo/CF Bruno

Bebestation

Phillips perhaps? Especially if Leeds go down. Never stops running, a good passer and he can sit and let De Jong roam.

Phillips De Jong

VdB

Sancho Ronaldo/CF Bruno
It does make sense - Phillips more in your face pressing energetic midfielder whilst De Jong works it out from the back?

Adam-Utd

Who would you buy?

The thing is De Jong is not a replacement for Matic and we are going to need a defensive minded DM even if De Jong plays as a 6.

So who would you say his best possible partner would be to buy and put him in a double pivot?
Well for me Tchouameni and De Jong would be an absolute dream midfield. Those 2 supporting Fernandes would be godlike.

Unfortunately though it seems unlikely. Rice could be a good alternative but I can't see us spending big on 2 midfielders this summer.

Mukiele seems to be a similar player to Fred that could be available for a fair price. I really guess it depends on what ETH pictures in terms of formation and what he would like next to FDJ. A box to box workhorse or more of a CDM?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool

Phillips De Jong

VdB

Sancho Ronaldo/CF Bruno
Yeah Phillips would be decent next to him imo and if they get relegated the price wouldnt be to bad, but does he want to come ?. I also think Kamara could work, same with Bissouma. Dream signing would be Tchouameni, but cant see that happening. Maybe Haidara at Liepzig ?

Fred or Mctominay would be a nightmare, but maybe a nightmare we have to live by for one season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You need to understand what De Jong role at Ajax then. His role is like Libero where he will be the deepest one to get the ball and he will get a license to roam forward to carry the ball forward. In this sense, you want to pair him with someone who sits when De Jong decides to carry the ball forward because who's going to occupy his spot if he decides to do so? Fred at best shouldn't be used more in our half, Fred is a no 8 and the more he involves near the opposition half, the better.

ti vu

Dream signing.Not gonna lie that I feel insecure about the chance it materialized due to the circumstances we're in at the moment

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

Phillips De Jong

VdB

Sancho Ronaldo/CF Bruno
That is pretty much how Ajax played with VDB and FDJ. Bruno in the Ziyech role. Ronaldo as Tadic in that set up. Might actually work reaaaaaaally well

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

So the one thing that may have been in our favour, isn't

jesperjaap

There isnt one, DeJong is more a playmaker....we simply dont have a defensive midfielder which we need desperately....Virtually all of our midfielders would be more DejOngs role, they have just all been poor there

GreatDane

Phillips De Jong

VdB

Sancho Ronaldo/CF Bruno
Didn't I read somewhere that Phillips is a die hard Leeds fan and would never join us? Or was that just an opinion someone had?

Adam-Utd

You need to understand what De Jong role at Ajax then. His role is like Libero where he will be the deepest one to get the ball and he will get a license to roam forward to carry the ball forward. In this sense, you want to pair him with someone who sits when De Jong decides to carry the ball forward because who's going to occupy his spot if he decides to do so? Fred at best shouldn't be used more in our half, Fred is a no 8 and the more he involves near the opposition half, the better.
Well that depends on formation doesn't it? if we play 4-2-3-1 pivot then they take it in turns, both need to be capable.

If we play 4-3-3 then yes he needs somebody able to cover more. I don't think we have a player at the club able to do that currently at a high level.

The question was who at the club, and it certainly won't be Mctominay in his current form.

croadyman

Yeah Phillips would be decent next to him imo and if they get relegated the price wouldnt be to bad, but does he want to come ?. I also think Kamara could work, same with Bissouma. Dream signing would be Tchouameni, but cant see that happening. Maybe Haidara at Liepzig ?

Fred or Mctominay would be a nightmare, but maybe a nightmare we have to live by for one season.
Yeah would be over the moon to get one of those to partner up with De Jong, Kamara makes most sense as free. We still need a ST and something on right side whether full back or wide player.

Adam-Utd

ESPN desperately want us to believe city are involved. All the spanish sources say they aren't :lol: clickbait wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.