Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wasn't it pretty much exactly 3 years ago that the same rumours started circulating around us and De Ligt?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Didn't I read somewhere that Phillips is a die hard Leeds fan and would never join us?
Probably, yeah. But I refuse to believe he'd rather go to say Villa than us, that would be just silly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Add in Philips and Raphinha will we're at it. Jobs a gooden :drool:

elnorte

Freaky fly day

So the one thing that may have been in our favour, isn't
Makes far more sense than Romero's report. He ain't coming and even if he did it would be yet another failure of a transfer with him becoming a far worse player.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Well for me Tchouameni and De Jong would be an absolute dream midfield. Those 2 supporting Fernandes would be godlike.

Unfortunately though it seems unlikely. Rice could be a good alternative but I can't see us spending big on 2 midfielders this summer.

Mukiele seems to be a similar player to Fred that could be available for a fair price. I really guess it depends on what ETH pictures in terms of formation and what he would like next to FDJ. A box to box workhorse or more of a CDM?
The right back?

the_cliff

Can see this happening tbh. we're probably a bit lucky that our competition aren't really looking for Midfielders like we are and I don't think any of them had foreseen that FDJ would become available.

A lot of people are mentioning City, iirc City are looking for a more defensive midfielder in the Fernandinho/Rodri mould. Not sure they'd want a FDJ when they have Bernardo, KDB, Gundogan and possibly Foden as well.

ShinjiNinja26

No one decent would want to join us, we're the worst team EVERRRR.

All aboard the Ward-Prowse bandwagon.
Player being forced out his current club against his will, joins us because we’ve thrown a shit ton of money at him. Where have we seen that before? The one saving grace may be the fact he’s worked under ETH previously but there’s a tweet above suggesting that’s not a particular draw for him either.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Player being forced out his current club against his will, joins us because we’ve thrown a shit ton of money at him. Where have we seen that before? The one saving grace may be the fact he’s worked under ETH previously but there’s a tweet above suggesting that’s not a particular draw for him either.
Yes, from Rob Dawson the absolute pillar of reliability.

Grande

If you want to, I could make a tweet that claims FdJ wants to enjoy marital relations wit EtH. Would that help?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So what are the alternatives if he is being ‘forced out of Barcelona against his will’? I mean, if he can no longer play for the club of his dreams, what then? Should he retire?

If Barcelona don’t want him and he has to leave, he will obviously play for a club that he doesn’t hold in the same esteem. It is his job, and he’ll get on with his career somewhere else. Fans have always over-romanticised all of this stuff. He has a career to make. Ideally he’ll make it at Barcelona, and if all parties were happy, he’d stay. If he has to leave, then he’ll have to choose somewhere else from the options that present themselves. Or as I said, simply retire and enjoy the city of Barcelona which he apparently prioritises above anything else. Or join Espanyol.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The Di Maria transfer has really addled some people's perception of how most footballers view their careers.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Makes far more sense than Romero's report. He ain't coming and even if he did it would be yet another failure of a transfer with him becoming a far worse player.
How exactly is a Tier 1 Barca reporter more reliable or "making sense" than a known bullshitter ?

Not saying he would join us, but come on let's apply some common sense here.

GreatDane

The Di Maria transfer has really addled some people's perception of how most footballers view their careers.
Indeed. And who's to say he didn't plan to play in England at some point, and now his plans just moved up a bit sooner than expected.

Adam-Utd

How exactly is a Tier 1 Barca reporter more reliable or "making sense" than a known bullshitter ?

It's just a protection mechanism. People are too afraid to muppet from being burnt in the past.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well that depends on formation doesn't it? if we play 4-2-3-1 pivot then they take it in turns, both need to be capable.

If we play 4-3-3 then yes he needs somebody able to cover more. I don't think we have a player at the club able to do that currently at a high level.

The question was who at the club, and it certainly won't be Mctominay in his current form.
Well the poster you replied were talking about the 4231.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If club didn’t think it was possible, they would be running away from this story.

Adam-Utd

Well the poster you replied were talking about the 4231.
So yes, who else at the club will do a better job than Fred in a 4231? he will essentially replace Mctominay in how we currently play.

elnorte

Freaky fly day

Wasn't meaning to comment on wider journalistic credibility and I would entirely defer to those more informed that Romero is of superior reliability.

However, if you want to apply common sense then there is no logical reason why this player would want to join United.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Phillips perhaps? Especially if Leeds go down. Never stops running, a good passer and he can sit and let De Jong roam.

Think Donny will get a chance as the 10 and Bruno plays wide...

Phillips De Jong

VdB

Sancho Ronaldo/CF Bruno
Bruno as a wide attacker would be interesting as it would somewhat alleviate the need to sign a different wide attacker this summer.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So what's up with him at Barca then? Why does he want to leave? Or more importantly, why would Barca sell him if he's so good (which I think he is, by the way).

Sorry, I've been burnt too many times by getting excited over transfers.

the_cliff

Well I think it's a bit funny how Gerard Romero said it last night and now the British media is catching up saying we are after him.

Now Romero is saying it's nearly done and he'll be a United player and ETHs first signing, got to wait a couple days for the British media to catch up.

Also if we are after 2 midfielders and a forward as claimed in the press, I struggle to see how Bruno will fit as I suspected.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not gonna happen, as great as it would be. If he's going anywhere, it'll be to Man City (which actually makes sense for them). I don't see Ten Hag being enough of a lure for him to join us in the Europa League over joining Pep and the CL where he'll always compete at the top. It is what it is.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s seems from all reports I’ve read, it’s all about “we want to sign him, Barca want to sell, but not sure if he wants to join us…”

Status
Not open for further replies.