Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
When two poorly runned club meets this is the result.

Trex

It does kind of feel like we're trying to butt in on a messy divorce, even though the wife wants to stay
We build up our transfer target so much at united they ultimately fail to live up to expectation.
See Maguire for example, if we had walked away from that we'll have gotten a comparable player for 50m easily.
Now its Frankie, good player but its mustn't be him, our biggest problem when doing transfer is that we throw away all leverage we have.
We should let them know we want our signings in early to bed with the rest of the squad, we should start making bids for other midfielders and see what the response of Barca/Frenkie would be.

Prodigal7

I get that Barca’s position is difficult but they should be following some sort of plan. Senor levers seems to be thrashing about all over the place like an angry toddler and it’s really getting on my tits now.

fps

" The 2023/24 season would be the highest of all, as he'd receive 27.7m euros for both his fixed salary and bonuses "

500k a week.
Wow :lol:
Jeez. Those numbers and nothing would make me move.

The contracts given to players are now bankrupting the clubs. Things really have come a long way.

Levi1

Isn't it obvious that Barca are saying "Hes not for sale, except because he wants to enforce his contract with us". And the reason they're saying that is clearly because he's told them now that he doesnt want to leave? So they're telling him that he can stay if he forgoes payments.

Bottom line is we're again bidding for another player that doesn't want to join us. Agree with a previous poster that this is Fabregas and Thiago all over again.

Just cut bait and move on!

Longshanks

We are gonna end up with ward-prowse on deadline day for a stupid sum of money aren't we?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Did you read any of the issues? Like how De Jong accepted to defer large amounts of his contract due to their financial issues to future years just so they got past their initial hump... So his salary is effectively due to jump from something like 4m the past 2 years to 16m-18m the next 2 years? And if he is to leave, then he would want the money he is owed that was deferred to be paid in the future. Whereas Barcelona essentially want to forgo any money owed AND get out of raising his contract back to that level.

Here's a better summary:
https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2022/07/05/62c3ebb146163fc10d8b4588.html
Wouldn't Barca be doing more to push him out the door publicly in that case?

So what are the commitments of Barca then, and when would he need to be reimbursed? If that's not due anytime soon, then why would he leave and forego all that's owed him? And if Barca have to pay him if he stays or not, why would they sell?

*Edit - Cheeky bid for Gavi?

sepulturite

Saw a couple of tabloids saying Ten Hag is fuming at this deal breaking down.

Glad to see there's still some positivity on here though.
Tabloids should've been your first clue to the bullshit tier level of those stories to be fair.

Especially if one of them is the fecking daily star :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I came back to six new pages and thought something had happened in the last couple of hours. It turns out that it's just six pages of some random saying "You're wrong because I know what Frenkie thinks and there's nothing to suggest that Barca won't pay him what he's owed despite all of the evidence that suggests they won't pay him what he's owed."

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Wouldn't Barca be doing more to push him out the door publicly in that case?

So what are the commitments of Barca then, and when would he need to be reimbursed? If that's not due anytime soon, then why would he leave and forego all that's owed him? And if Barca have to pay him if he stays or not, why would they sell?

*Edit - Cheeky bid for Gabi?
Why? What benefit would it have for them to do that?
They can make it look like de Jong is the bad guy, refusing to help the club by taking a wage cut, especially if he loves the club as much as he says he does. It just paints the picture that Barca are doing all they can to get him to stay and de Jong wants the money. They won't be able to find a middle ground so he'll be sold. Barca come out of it looking like the good guys (in their eyes) and de Jong the money grabbing mercenary

Infestissumam

I just don't understand how anybody who has followed this could fault United for anything. We're simply dealing with an absolute shiteshow of a club right now. They can't pay their own players and have to beg them for deferrals and wage cuts, they can't register new players, they have to activate those stupid levers to even stay alive. Honigsteins comments about Bayern being unsure if Barcelona is even around any more in a couple of years were a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's undeniable that they are in shambles financially.

United have done their homework. We've apparently agreed a fee in principle, we've regularly checked back with FDJs camp. It'll just take time to resolve, especially when their two-faced president still feels the need to make a drama out of it and spin it publicly in a way that convinces at least the gullible part of their fanbase.

Judas

Open to offers
I just don't understand how anybody who has followed this could fault United for anything. We're simply dealing with an absolute shiteshow of a club right now. They can't pay their own players and have to beg them for deferrals and wage cuts, they can't register new players, they have to activate those stupid levers to even stay alive.

United have done their homework. We've apparently agreed a fee in principle, we've regularly checked back with FDJs camp. It'll just take time to resolve, especially when their two-faced president still feels the need to make a drama out of it and spin it publicly in a way that convinces at least the gullible part of their fanbase.
Too much common sense for a lot in this thread. Needs more needless talking about walking away.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
My take is that Frenkie wants a out and has been convinced by his old mentor ten Hag to join United, but is being held ransom by Barca about the deferred payments (you can only leave if you default the deferred payments).

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
For the people thinking FDJ flat out refuses to join us. His agent was literally in our buildings this week, don't you think he might have mentioned something?

caid

Jeez. Those numbers and nothing would make me move.

The contracts given to players are now bankrupting the clubs. Things really have come a long way.
They cut his wages by 16m during the pandemic. Pay him that and he'd probably move on. Maybe they have to go up to 19m for loyalty bonuses, which would be totally reasonably and fair. After deferring wages and them trying to stiff him on payment i doubt he's going to be inclined to do them any favours. He'll say how much he loves playing for barcelona, dream club, beautiful city. He'll get games because the only thing more stupid than paying a midfielder that much would be to then not give him games. The board will hate him and no one will care too much because the board still seem like clowns.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
My take is that Frenkie wants a out and has been convinced by his old mentor ten Hag to join United, but is being held ransom by Barca about the deferred payments (you can only leave if you default the deferred payments).
Good v Evil

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I came back to six new pages and thought something had happened in the last couple of hours. It turns out that it's just six pages of some random saying "You're wrong because I know what Frenkie thinks and there's nothing to suggest that Barca won't pay him what he's owed despite all of the evidence that suggests they won't pay him what he's owed."
Thanks for adding to the last 7 pages

Trex

I can't remember Liverpool trying this hard to get a player to sign for them because Liverpool never tried to buy them from Barca, Madrid, Bayern (they were already successful when they got Thiago and I was straight forward) or the likes, the players they got all jumped at the chance to move there and all they needed to do was agree a deal with the selling club, we'll never learn at United.

RedDevilRoshi

When two poorly runned club meets this is the result.
I think I have said this loads of times but financially - Barcelona are the worst run club in the world. How they have got themselves into this mess is just beyond belief. We are nowhere near as bad on that side.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I can't remember Liverpool trying this hard to get a player to sign for them because Liverpool never tried to buy them from Barca, Madrid, Bayern (they were already successful when they got Thiago and I was straight forward) or the likes, the players they got all jumped at the chance to move there and all they needed to do was agree a deal with the selling club, we'll never learn at United.
This is definitely United’s fault

AneRu

Don't get me wrong, I like ETH, I was at the forefront of calling for his appointment and I have great faith in and still support him. BUT I am fecking mad he got us entangled in this FDJ mess with the clowns at Barcelona. Without his insistence on him and refusal to budge we'd have moved on a month ago and still brought in useful players, now we are where were in May, four weeks from the start of the season and facing the prospect of doing a Moyes-Fellaini debacle when we can least afford it.

Red Royal

If/when this falls through I will take consolation that at least I've learned that the Dutch have lower case 1st part of surname and the Belgium upper case. A very very thin silver lining after 8 weeks of muppetery.

Status
Not open for further replies.