Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WPMUFC

Where have all the bottlejobs from earlier gone?

He prefers Chelsea, joke of a club :( etc etc :lol:
Chelsea panic is the new "move on" that people want to hide behind because they know "move on" will get them drowned in a sea of replies. As i said last night, I have no idea why folks are coming in here just to post chelsea panic or "move on", I can only assume they are doing it in the hopes the thread is closed quicker and they don't have to keep coming here.

It's ok to not thread the thread folks. Missing a tweet update means nothing in the long term.
:lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@mazhar13 apologies to tag you with these questions which I'm sure you receive irritatingly frequently but do you have a good idea of how reliable this dude is?

I know that, in spite of being an absolute rag, the Mail have some quite reliable journalists reporting for them (e.g. Sami Mokbel, Adrian Kajumba, Mike Keegan and Chris Wheeler) but I've not yet been able to get a grasp of how trustworthy Simon Jones may or may not be.
It's all good. I'm happy to answer these questions. He's not terrible, but he's not that good, either. I'd wait for the more reliable ones to report on this, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it, either.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Chelsea panic is the new "move on" that people want to hide behind because they know "move on" will get them drowned in a sea of replies. As i said last night, I have no idea why folks are coming in here just to post chelsea panic or "move on", I can only assume they are doing it in the hopes the thread is closed quicker and they don't have to keep coming here.

It's ok to not thread the thread folks. Missing a tweet update means nothing in the long term.
:lol:
Think people are just so scared of rejection they'd rather 'walk away' before the deal breaks down or whatever.

This is the only downside to news being so heavily reported, it fees like it's moving very slow when 99% of the time you'd never hear about it until it's done.

Redcy

Who talked about bringing in shit players?! We were talking about a Plan B. And I don't know if you realized, that the midfield situation is even more dire than last season because we lost a few players there. Which brings us into cosy comfort of lacking in quality AND in quantity.

I think, this sort of thinking has the potential to be our downfall - "only this and that player can improve us, we have to stick to our targets". Bayern, Liverpool and City stepped away form being name-focussed, they switched to defining roles within their setup and selecting players with the right skill set. If a player like FDJ is as essential for ETHs plan for us then there is nothing as important as making contact with alternatives right now. We're simply not allowed to be smug and turn away from players we feel are below our level - our level is dire, we aren't good at defending, we aren't good at creating chances, we weren't even particularly good in converting them.

If this transfer is complicated, make it easy: tell Barca we have to start season preparations because the league is going to start in 3 weeks. We can't just wait with implementing a certain system as long as the instruments aren't there. Who are we expecting to play FDJs role in the training games? McTominay?? Just go set a deadline and go for alternatives, Barca needs our money probably more than we need this player. FFS it is three weeks, the season start isn't as easy as last year where the first few weeks made it possible to implement new ideas on the training field. Liverpool is on the third day I think, most of the clubs I consider our actual competitor shortly after. Our players have to work TOGETHER as soon as possible, we can't just wait until the end of the window just for some fecking coincidence to render all our planning as useless as we won't get our player. (and that doesn't even incorporate the thoughts if a system with FDJ as only 6 is theoretically or practically possible which might require even more recruiting business).
The person I was quoting was quoting shit players as the replacement. If our replacements for FdJ are Tielemans, or the other random shite people keep throwing in then yes we would be better sticking with the players we have. I believe we do have plan B players, but ETH builds systems around the players he has. He has done it multiple times. My guess is that he believes that by getting FdJ it will help resolve a number of issues the squad has, because he has specific skills that v few players have. If we cannot get him then he would likely have to change even more players.

I have made multiple examples, say we buy Tielemans at 25m, we would then need another midfielder to come in, for example a Kante or Ndidi type, and we would definitely need to buy a decent centre back. Total cost around 100m. You cannot just buy Tielemans as a FdJ replacement and expect ETH to make it work.

That is the issue here, ETH believes with FdJ he can play a certain way with the players he wants. If he cant get him then we would need other players. If we are just going to buy him random players like those mentioned then you are spending money for no net effect.

WPMUFC

Think people are just so scared of rejection they'd rather 'walk away' before the deal breaks down or whatever.

This is the only downside to news being so heavily reported, it fees like it's moving very slow when 99% of the time you'd never hear about it until it's done.
funny thing is if you just took the BBC update from a week ago, Duckers' update this week and the Athletic podcast today, folks could've saved themselves so much mental anguish. The deal is still on, things are complicated, it's all still positive.

PoTMS

Rumour has it this deal is being held up by virtue of him joining Pearl Jam for 3 weeks.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
On this, @Mmm-Qatarian, notice how Simon Jones mentions Sergiño Dest as one of the names on the table despite this actually not being the case according to the more reliable journalists.
Simon Jones tends to rehash and reword stories based on rumour elsewhere. He seems to be the "gossip" journo, whereas Mokbel et al are more well sourced and connected

NZT-One

true. The thread sure does move faster with negative news for some reason.
Yeah for some reason... Hopefully there is some science happening at this very minute to figure out that mistery.

Have you been living under a rock the past 8 years, especially the last 3? Negativity breeds activity. No matter what the topic is. Knowing this, maybe stop commenting about people with certain opinions, comment the the opinion or/and the arguments for and against but as soon as it starts to get personal, we have the next shit show going on like the Ole-Wars that fecked so many people up around this place. "I told you from day one" - "No see, I was right, I knew it from the beginning"...

The person I was quoting was quoting shit players as the replacement. If our replacements for FdJ are Tielemans, or the other random shite people keep throwing in then yes we would be better sticking with the players we have. I believe we do have plan B players, but ETH builds systems around the players he has. He has done it multiple times. My guess is that he believes that by getting FdJ it will help resolve a number of issues the squad has, because he has specific skills that v few players have. If we cannot get him then he would likely have to change even more players.
Reading this place the players we have in midfield are already pretty dire. And on top of that, we lost two of them in Matic and Pogba. But sure, better to stick to our plan A. Die in beauty. If we bring in a decent player, we are already better off. One decent player and a good one diversifies the squad even more.
And even if ETH is able to built around the players he has, what do you think, they are doing at Carrington these days? Keepy-uppy until noon and corners and throwins in the afternoon? ETH has already started working with the players. He needs the team as complete as possible as soon as possible. I already know the vibe around here in a couple of month from now "he had no proper pre-season, lets see what he can do next year..." If only one could prevent that from happening year after year after year...maybe, just maybe we have to do stuff differently at some point.

I have made multiple examples, say we buy Tielemans at 25m, we would then need another midfielder to come in, for example a Kante or Ndidi type, and we would definitely need to buy a decent centre back. Total cost around 100m. You cannot just buy Tielemans as a FdJ replacement and expect ETH to make it work.
Why would our need for another type of midfielder and a decent centerback look any different whether we buy Tielemans or FDJ? It changes absolutely nothing. FDJ is a progressor of the ball, very good via passing, exceptional via dribbling. We don't bring him in for his defensive prowess. So he would have to secured by other players just like Tielemans as well. Just that our budget will take an even bigger hit.

That is the issue here, ETH believes with FdJ he can play a certain way with the players he wants. If he cant get him then we would need other players. If we are just going to buy him random players like those mentioned then you are spending money for no net effect.
Who talks about random?! There isn't an infinite amount of options how to play football. Or an infinite amount of player types. FDJ is a great progressor of the ball, mostly by very good dribbling but also via passes. Maybe there isn't a player who is as good as him in both these categories right now, but there are players with a comparable skill set who can turn out just as good, or even better. Plus you could also go for universal player types. For example a mobile midfielder who has his strength in taking the ball from others. Wild concept, I know, probably too extravagant, which is why we seem to not feel the need for one. Where is this fixation on FDJ coming from? I mean, I get it, he is a pretty good player. But some people act as if he could be the key piece to turn us around and it is absolutely impossible to do it in a different way which is why we have to deal with what Barcelona throws at us. Because we seemingly have to...I don't get it.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Simon Jones tends to rehash and reword stories based on rumour elsewhere. He seems to be the "gossip" journo, whereas Mokbel et al are more well sourced and connected
Yeah, that seems to be the case, though at least he doesn't pick up on the more speculative rumours (like de Ligt).

Levi1

Still may happen. But Id still be quite happy with just Eriksen, who I've always been a big fan of, and some new coaches for the other midfielders.
And then possibly a surprise, urgent move for one Paul Scholes in January

Redcy

Yeah for some reason... Hopefully there is some science happening at this very minute to figure out that mistery.

Have you been living under a rock the past 8 years, especially the last 3? Negativity breeds activity. No matter what the topic is. Knowing this, maybe stop commenting about people with certain opinions, comment the the opinion or/and the arguments for and against but as soon as it starts to get personal, we have the next shit show going on like the Ole-Wars that fecked so many people up around this place. "I told you from day one" - "No see, I was right, I knew it from the beginning"...

Reading this place the players we have in midfield are already pretty dire. And on top of that, we lost two of them in Matic and Pogba. But sure, better to stick to our plan A. Die in beauty. If we bring in a decent player, we are already better off. One decent player and a good one diversifies the squad even more.
And even if ETH is able to built around the players he has, what do you think, they are doing at Carrington these days? Keepy-uppy until noon and corners and throwins in the afternoon? ETH has already started working with the players. He needs the team as complete as possible as soon as possible. I already know the vibe around here in a couple of month from now "he had no proper pre-season, lets see what he can do next year..." If only one could prevent that from happening year after year after year...maybe, just maybe we have to do stuff differently at some point.

Why would our need for another type of midfielder and a decent centerback look any different whether we buy Tielemans or FDJ? It changes absolutely nothing. FDJ is a progressor of the ball, very good via passing, exceptional via dribbling. We don't bring him in for his defensive prowess. So he would have to secured by other players just like Tielemans as well. Just that our budget will take an even bigger hit.

Who talks about random?! There isn't an infinite amount of options how to play football. Or an infinite amount of player types. FDJ is a great progressor of the ball, mostly by very good dribbling but also via passes. Maybe there isn't a player who is as good as him in both these categories right now, but there are players with a comparable skill set who can turn out just as good, or even better. Plus you could also go for universal player types. For example a mobile midfielder who has his strength in taking the ball from others. Wild concept, I know, probably too extravagant, which is why we seem to not feel the need for one. Where is this fixation on FDJ coming from? I mean, I get it, he is a pretty good player. But some people act as if he could be the key piece to turn us around and it is absolutely impossible to do it in a different way which is why we have to deal with what Barcelona throws at us. Because we seemingly have to...I don't get it.

You are the one fixating here, and if you think that FdJ needs a DM then you are the one who hasn't looked at how he played alongside Schone, etc. Schone was not some destroyer in midfield doing all the running and breaking up for FdJ, he was a midfielder capable of picking the ball up and breaking lines from deep himself. I have already said there are multiple ways we could setup, but if you bring in lesser players such as Tielemans (who lest we forget was absolute dogshit last year), or Neves who has zero mobility or pace, then you have to put people alongside them. Which is fine if we do that, I don't care if instead we buy Tielemans, Ndidi and Martinez. I am guessing here but I think he believes that Fred maybe capable of pairing with FdJ saving him having to do another transfer. Substitute Tielemans solely for FdJ and pairing with Fred will be a disaster.

House Mkhitaryan

Guy who calls himself Pearl Jan announcing that he's going to 7 Pearl Jam shows is the only accurate story that's been reported in the last 2000 posts in this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.