Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
How do you figure? He would have got the assurances he required from de Jong or his agent. Once he's got them, that's all he needs. It's upto de Jong and Barca to sort their issues. That's nothing to do with Ten Hag or United.

There is just no possible way United would be staying involved with this if there was no assurances the player wants to come, as much as people are convinced otherwise. Ten Hag isn't stupid, and he wouldn't piss the board off in his first season, as they'd seriously question him if it turned out that they were blindly pushing for a player without knowing his intentions
For all we know Utd and Barca agreed a fee, communicated it to the press and then Barca said, "Now, on to the matter of his deferred wages..."
Ten Hag/Utd might not have known about it.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
For all we know Utd and Barca agreed a fee, communicated it to the press and then Barca said, "Now, on to the matter of his deferred wages..."
Ten Hag/Utd might not have known about it.
Surely his agent would have told United everything they needed to know. They'd be aware of the situation and what's required. They'd have known about the deferred wages, but I do agree with you that Barca probably tried to pull a fast one on United.

Probably explains why they wanted the extra fixed money. I imagine they'd have used that to pay de Jongs wages off, in essence meaning we've paid them, albeit not directly

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Why else then is the transfer hold up allegedly on FdJ deferred payments?

There is no doubt FdJ earned the money and if his agent worded the contract correctly that FdJ will get paid also, if he leaves Barcelona there shouldn't be any issues, at least not with outstanding payments from deferred wages of the last 2 years.
I don’t have the answers and don’t claim to! Nothing seems to make obvious sense, to me at least. I would just be absolutely astonished if the reason for this delay was the kind of almighty feckup that would be needed to leave FDJ and Barca in this kind of grey area.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
This was posted before, and it just seems so outlandish to me. So de Jong had no idea what his agent was up to did he? Barca and his agent agreed to form a sale without de Jongs permission? Come on... if that's the case, expect news of de Jong getting a new agent soon, because I'd be furious if my agent was trying to formulate a move away from a club I genuinely loved and wanted to be at.

Sounds to me like he's jumping on the opinion train and piggybacking of his very successful Ronaldo scoop where his credibility is somewhat high with United fans at the min.

Mmm-Qatarian

I still think at this stage nobody knows exactly what the feck is going on with this deal. Sure, there's enough things that are probably true to make educated guesses, but reports are at this stage contradicting each other on a daily basis. In such conditions, I don't think one can reasonably say "this report means it's a done deal/dead end, we should celebrate wildly/move on" because nothing that's coming out is aligning.

It's all rather weird if you ask me, and I really wouldn't like to predict what will happen.

Swedish_Plumber

We’ve gone on yet another pre season tour without completing our business and giving ourselves the best possible opportunity to succeed.

Now with regards to FDJ we may have been blindsided somewhat by Barca’s shitshow, but we’ve had a while to digest and perhaps realise this may not happen. Move on to plan B and grab someone else who may not be as perfect but with a pre season may become more assimilated.

If we don’t sign this guy then it’s basically just been some sort of distraction narrative to keep us hopeful.

Mmm-Qatarian

This was posted before, and it just seems so outlandish to me. So de Jong had no idea what his agent was up to did he? Barca and his agent agreed to form a sale without de Jongs permission? Come on... if that's the case, expect news of de Jong getting a new agent soon, because I'd be furious if my agent was trying to formulate a move away from a club I genuinely loved and wanted to be at.

Sounds to me like he's jumping on the opinion train and piggybacking of his very successful Ronaldo scoop where his credibility is somewhat high with United fans at the min.
What is even more weird is that some reliable United journalists (I believe even a tier one, can't remember which) have previously stated that United have previously been given assurances that De Jong is willing to accept the move.

As I've just said above, all of this is extremely strange.

Brophs

The One and Only

Not to mention that his agent seems to be advocating for a move that would cost him £17m, a situation which apparently directly arose as a result of the agent allowing into his wage deferral agreement, a clause stating that if he left, he would no longer be entitled to the deferred wages. His agent has a neck like a jockey's bollocks, I'll give him that.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
What is even more weird is that some reliable United journalists (I believe even a tier one, can't remember which) have previously stated that United have previously been given assurances that De Jong is willing to accept the move.

As I've just said above, all of this is extremely strange.
I don't doubt that Ten Hag has been given assurances from de Jong and his agent. It would be stupid to go for a player without that and I'm sure every transfer starts with assurances that the player is open to the move.

Can you imagine how furious the board would be with Ten Hag if he had them chance de Jong and push for the transfer without actually knowing whether the player was interested

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The season kicks off in 4 weeks, that’s a very short amount of time in football, for instance we’ve spent 8/9 weeks “negotiating“ and still havent concluded moves for Eriksen, Martinez or Antony Let alone sort out the Ronaldo situation and sell fringe players.

Weve done it again haven’t we, wool pulled over our eyes. Meanwhile rivals including all them who finished above us have made significant moves.

Absolutely sick and tired of this clubs insbiliTunes to operate like a normal club in 23.
Ud be amazed if we’ve had the right prep for the season unless the travelling squad will be the one that plays.

FDJ returns to training on Monday? Even that is annoying he must be the last player in Europe to return to his club.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Surely his agent would have told United everything they needed to know. They'd be aware of the situation and what's required. They'd have known about the deferred wages, but I do agree with you that Barca probably tried to pull a fast one on United.

Probably explains why they wanted the extra fixed money. I imagine they'd have used that to pay de Jongs wages off, in essence meaning we've paid them, albeit not directly
Unless the agent didn't actually know about this supposed clause in the contract. Which is highly unlikely.

I know something is happening, but I don't know what it is. (Thx Dylan)

cyberman

How do you figure? He would have got the assurances he required from de Jong or his agent. Once he's got them, that's all he needs. It's upto de Jong and Barca to sort their issues. That's nothing to do with Ten Hag or United.

There is just no possible way United would be staying involved with this if there was no assurances the player wants to come, as much as people are convinced otherwise. Ten Hag isn't stupid, and he wouldn't piss the board off in his first season, as they'd seriously question him if it turned out that they were blindly pushing for a player without knowing his intentions
Because everybody else is staying away from it but we are driven by Ten Hag to go after him. I’m all for signing quality players but that has been a headache from day one and Ten Hag, out of everybody, should have known how shit this show would have been.
We are in this because of Ten Hag and if it ends up being too complicated for us to complete then Ten Hag is a huge reason why we went in so deep.
You’re putting too much faith into assuming De Jong has told Utd he wants to come.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Not to mention that his agent seems to be advocating for a move that would cost him £17m, a situation which apparently directly arose as a result of the agent allowing into his wage deferral agreement, a clause stating that if he left, he would no longer be entitled to the deferred wages. His agent has a neck like a jockey's bollocks, I'll give him that.
Didn't know about the clause saying if he left he doesn't get the wages... but surely there is a legal route he could take? If he's owed it, he's owed it?

That's comment about his agent though, not gonna lie, laughed out loud at that, surprised I didn't wake the girlfriend up.

Lemoor

That's why they want him to accept a salary cut. They can put pressure on him to do so but can't force him.
And if he refuses to take that salary cut, letting him go while paying the deferred wages for the period he already played for them will still be a much better solution for Barcelona than keeping him in the team just for the sake of it.
Also, the pressure they can put on him is absolutely limited since they need to maximise his transfer value without making him the focal point of the team. If the situation gets ugly, there is a decent possibility that in the next transfer windows they will not be able to get anything close to the offers they can get this summer.

Mmm-Qatarian

I don't doubt that Ten Hag has been given assurances from de Jong and his agent. It would be stupid to go for a player without that and I'm sure every transfer starts with assurances that the player is open to the move.

Can you imagine how furious the board would be with Ten Hag if he had them chance de Jong and push for the transfer without actually knowing whether the player was interested
Being real, I'd like to think the board were smart enough that they'd also want assurances from De Jong and his agent before pursuing the player. They'd only have themselves to blame if they were stupid enough to bet it all on the manager's word without seeking clarity.

The scenario that makes the most sense to me is that there is probably some clause written into De Jong's contract which is somewhat open to interpretation legally speaking, with the agents of De Jong arguing that it'd entitle him to the wages he deferred even in the event of a move and Barca lawyers arguing that he'd waive the rights to that money if he left the club. Anything other than that would require stupidity of cataclysmic proportions on somebody's part.

Brophs

The One and Only
Didn't know about the clause saying if he left he doesn't get the wages... but surely there is a legal route he could take? If he's owed it, he's owed it?

That's comment about his agent though, not gonna lie, laughed out loud at that, surprised I didn't wake the girlfriend up.
It's being reported by Barca friendlies. It's plainly bollocks. It assumes a level of ineptitude or naivety on the part of De Jong and his entourage that comes straight from a comic strip entitled Barca are the Bestest Boys.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Because everybody else is staying away from it but we are driven by Ten Hag to go after him. I’m all for signing quality players but that has been a headache from day one and Ten Hag, out of everybody, should have known how shit this show would have been.
We are in this because of Ten Hag and if it ends up being too complicated for us to complete then Ten Hag is a huge reason why we went in so deep.
You’re putting too much faith into assuming De Jong has told Utd he wants to come.
But as others have said, tier 1 sources have reported that he's open to the move. Yes he's said he wants to stay, but if he openly admits to wanting to leave, then that could cost him millions if this clause is correct about him giving up his deferred pay upon leaving. That makes sense about him saying he wants to stay.

It's the sources in Spain that are continously driving the fact he's adamant about staying and won't even entertain the prospect of moving, and that his agent won't talk to either United or Chelsea because de Jong doesn't want to leave... no other journos have verified this, yet people are treating it as if its absolute truth?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Being real, I'd like to think the board were smart enough that they'd also want assurances from De Jong and his agent before pursuing the player. They'd only have themselves to blame if they were stupid enough to bet it all on the manager's word without seeking clarity.

The scenario that makes the most sense to me is that there is probably some clause written into De Jong's contract which is somewhat open to interpretation legally speaking, with the agents of De Jong arguing that it'd entitle him to the wages he deferred even in the event of a move and Barca lawyers arguing that he'd waive the rights to that money if he left the club. Anything other than that would require stupidity of cataclysmic proportions on somebody's part.
There is no way we go this far if the player simply isn’t interested in joining us. Absolutely would not happen.

NZT-One

We should aim for players who can or at least have the potential to elevate us to EPL title winners. Mc Ginn is clearly an upgrade to what we've got but I very much doubt he can do that. Fabian Ruiz and Laimer on the other hand...
No complaints about those players. Obviously, some players would be better than others. The point I wanted to make was, we need something reliable at first. It must be good, not necessarily the best. And of course, on top of that, bringing in 2 (or even 3) players in for midfield diversifies the squad and mitigates the risk of a transfer not working out. Which can always be the case.

But at the end of the day, we seem to be on the same side - we can't just sit there, wait and hope for better days. We have to be pro-active. And that certainly can mean, stay with FDJ's case but prepare for a situation where this transfer breaks down.

I keep seeing this and it makes no sense. We have assurances that the player will come, we’ve agreed a fee with Barca and the stalemate is between Barca and deJong. How does briefing about other players help anything? This deal will get done so I don’t see the need to pay games.
I think, at this point it is clear that the problem isn't you not being able to understand it but you not wanting to understand it. Showing activity towards other targets will put more pressure on Barcelona as, as you all stated around 1000 times only today, Barca needs our money to do their own stuff. Plus this projection of willingness to pull out of the transfer comes at no cost at all - every player would understand that a club of Uniteds size isn't going to sit around just waiting until another clubs sorts its internals out.

There is no way we go this far if the player simply isn’t interested in joining us. Absolutely would not happen.
It cannot be what isn't allowed to be. Sure as hell FDJ would want a transfer to us if everything breaks down with Barca. But he still might hope that everything will be sorted out as he doesn't want to move.

cyberman

But as others have said, tier 1 sources have reported that he's open to the move. Yes he's said he wants to stay, but if he openly admits to wanting to leave, then that could cost him millions if this clause is correct about him giving up his deferred pay upon leaving. That makes sense about him saying he wants to stay.

It's the sources in Spain that are continously driving the fact he's adamant about staying and won't even entertain the prospect of moving, and that his agent won't talk to either United or Chelsea because de Jong doesn't want to leave... no other journos have verified this, yet people are treating it as if its absolute truth?
I keep hearing about our tier 1s but our transfer news has always been driven by reporters from the other clubs. This just smacks of wanting to pick and choose what news to believe imo. It’s like you’re trying to convince me so you can convince yourself!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
No complaints about those players. Obviously, some players would be better than others. The point I wanted to make was, we need something reliable at first. It must be good, not necessarily the best. And of course, on top of that, bringing in 2 (or even 3) players in for midfield diversifies the squad and mitigates the risk of a transfer not working out. Which can always be the case.

But at the end of the day, we seem to be on the same side - we can't just sit there, wait and hope for better days. We have to be pro-active. And that certainly can mean, stay with FDJ's case but prepare for a situation where this transfer breaks down.

I think, at this point it is clear that the problem isn't you not being able to understand it but you not wanting to understand it. Showing activity towards other targets will put more pressure on Barcelona as, as you all stated around 1000 times only today, Barca needs our money to do their own stuff. Plus this projection of willingness to pull out of the transfer comes at no cost at all - every player would understand that a club of Uniteds size isn't going to sit around just waiting until another clubs sorts its internals out.
That's the thing... what's saying we're not? Is it impossible that were working on an alternative but not leaking it to anyone or working on something internally? Is that truly so far fetched? The media doesn't have to know about everything we do. As I say, we'll know if it's over because we'll brief or a new target will be identified as if out of the blue like the Timber deal

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I keep hearing about our tier 1s but our transfer news has always been driven by reporters from the other clubs. This just smacks of wanting to pick and choose what news to believe imo. It’s like you’re trying to convince me so you can convince yourself!
I don't have to convince anyone. If you want to believe that Sport in Spain is the pinnacle of reporting honesty, then feel free to do so. You're free to believe whatever you wanted to believe.

Also if you're saying that we learn about our transfers from other clubs reporters, then surely that means we do a great job of keeping our business under wraps. Also you do know when news comes out from other clubs reporters, it'll be spun to how they want it

NZT-One

That's the thing... what's saying we're not? Is it impossible that were working on an alternative but not leaking it to anyone or working on something internally? Is that truly so far fetched? The media doesn't have to know about everything we do. As I say, we'll know if it's over because we'll brief or a new target will be identified as if out of the blue like the Timber deal
I may misunderstood you but are you suggesting that we should project willingness to do something (in this case willingness to pull out of a transfer with Barcelona by showing work on other players) by not projecting something? :)

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

It cannot be what isn't allowed to be. Sure as hell FDJ would want a transfer to us if everything breaks down with Barca. But he still might hope that everything will be sorted out as he doesn't want to move.
All the pressure in the world isn’t going to give Barca money to pay FDJ what he’s owed if they can’t afford it. He’ll have to come to an arrangement with them, which presumably is what the hold up is about.
The projection of willingness to pull out might just cost us the transfer if either FDJ gets pissed by it, or another club steals in to do the deal thinking we have moved on.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I may misunderstood you but are you suggesting that we should project willingness to do something (in this case willingness to pull out of a transfer with Barcelona by showing work on other players) by not projecting something? :)
But if the stalemate IS between de Jong and Barca, us pulling out won't make a difference to them will it? They're not going to see us announce that we're moving on elsewhere pay de Jong what he's owed and beg us to come back? If it was that simple we'd have done it ages ago!

NZT-One

All the pressure in the world isn’t going to give Barca money to pay FDJ what he’s owed if they can’t afford it. He’ll have to come to an arrangement with them, which presumably is what the hold up is about.
The projection of willingness to pull out might just cost us the transfer if either FDJ gets pissed by it, or another club steals in to do the deal thinking we have moved on.
Surely you are taking the piss at this point. Come on. You think the player who gets held ransom by his current club will be pissed by his potential new club doing preparations in case the transfer breaks down? You think other clubs will wait until we pull out just because it we prepare a potential plan B?

That is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.