Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm-Qatarian

OK, so I've already stated that I don't think anybody on here really knows for sure what's going on with this deal. With that said, here is my best guess as to what the hold up is:

I believe that, regarding the wages De Jong and his agents agreed to defer, there is likely to be a stipulation or clause in his contract which legally speaking is somewhat open to interpretation. De Jong's camp will believe he is entitled to the money he deferred for the past few seasons even in the event of a move, whilst Barca will argue that any transfer would waive his rights to that money. If you want precedent for this situation at FC Barcelona, look no further than the Messi debacle in the summer of 2020, when it looked to be a very real possibility that Messi was going to take his beloved club to court over a condition in his contract which he believed would allow him to leave for free that window.

I think this is the most likely reason for the sudden hold-up in our negotiations for De Jong because the other possible scenarios don't stack up in my head and involve stupidity of cataclysmic proportions. Should it be the case that De Jong is, without a shadow of a doubt, legally entitled to that money regardless of whether he left, there would be no sane reason for Barca to fight him on it. It suits them to have De Jong off the books as quickly as possible, and if they were aware that any legal battle over these unpaid wages would be futile then all that their dicking around would serve to do is jeopardise a deal they appear keen to have completed.

On the other hand, should De Jong lose his entitlement to the deferred wages in the event of a move, one would have to concede that his agency was stupid enough to agree to such a ridiculous arrangement in the first place. To add insult to injury, they'd also have to have the brass neck to try to push through a move which would see De Jong leave his dream club AND lose €17 million in deferred wages owing to a deal that they were stupid enough to sanction. If that is indeed the case, you can expect to see De Jong with a new agent very soon if he has an ounce of sense.

So that's my two cents on the situation. It's all guesswork loosely based on what we've heard from the reliable sources in recent days/weeks; I don't pretend that I have any certainty regarding this deal because I don't believe very many people do. I welcome anybody to pick holes in what I've written; it's probably a load of drivel when placed under the spotlight.

NZT-One

But if the stalemate IS between de Jong and Barca, us pulling out won't make a difference to them will it? They're not going to see us announce that we're moving on elsewhere pay de Jong what he's owed and beg us to come back? If it was that simple we'd have done it ages ago!
If it is a stalemate than we will not get the fecking player anyways. Who is saying pull out right now - but prepare for the case the transfer breaks down. Plus it might influence Barcas willingness to do something they try to avoid when they face a potential situation of losing out from our money.

cyberman

I don't have to convince anyone. If you want to believe that Sport in Spain is the pinnacle of reporting honesty, then feel free to do so. You're free to believe whatever you wanted to believe.

Also if you're saying that we learn about our transfers from other clubs reporters, then surely that means we do a great job of keeping our business under wraps. Also you do know when news comes out from other clubs reporters, it'll be spun to how they want it
But that doesn’t change the fact stories come out from those outlets. Our reporters are so far behind they aren’t worth following for up to date news imo. They just confirm news that comes from elsewhere. Now that is usually dependable but during sagas the story inevitably comes from elsewhere.

Jacob

The most boring transfer saga. Even Sneijder and Gaitan were better.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
But that doesn’t change the fact stories come out from those outlets. Our reporters are so far behind they aren’t worth following for up to date news imo. They just confirm news that comes from elsewhere. Now that is usually dependable but during sagas the sorry inevitably comes from elsewhere.
Maybe they are behind, but you can guarantee that if they report it and agree with what's said, it's been confirmed by someone in the club who knows.

Hence why no one in the UK reported the Chelsea rumours, including reliable Chelsea reporters - because it was bullshit and not worth reporting on. Same with all the crap coming out now, it won't be reported by anyone over here because its not worth the time, effort and patience in confirming it because its clear shite that's pandering to the Barca narrative that they're in the right

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
All the pressure in the world isn’t going to give Barca money to pay FDJ what he’s owed if they can’t afford it. He’ll have to come to an arrangement with them, which presumably is what the hold up is about.
The projection of willingness to pull out might just cost us the transfer if either FDJ gets pissed by it, or another club steals in to do the deal thinking we have moved on.
A contract is a contract. FDJ will get his money when he stays. No one cares if Barca can afford it. They can sell their stadium, training ground, head office, naming right to finance whatever transfer, wages they are going to pay.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Considering issue is deferred wages, wouldn't pay any attention to media reports of what FDJ wants, as it is in his benefit to keep repeating that he will continue at Barca ( it makes sense for both football and financial reason). If he comes out and say he wants to leave then it weakens his position in getting his deferred wage and also the pay increase which was promised if he is to continue at Barca. So no point in going public with what he wants.

Don't think we would have negotiated if FDJ told us he doesn't want to come and Barca was not open to selling him.

And Spainsh news outlet are just propaganda tools for Barca and Real. Just few days back, Sport was running story that FDJ prefers United over Chelsea if he moves and now its the opposite. Unless FDJ flip flops on decision every day, its safe to assume most of it is just negotiation tactics. Barca are going to be 1:1 on their budget after second round of selling of TV and merchandise percentage and then they can use whatever money they earn towards new signings. If we don't have any conclusion by next weekend then we should back out and try for someone else.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Bit of both.

Barça can’t afford for him to stay on his current deal.
De Jong won’t agree to a salary reduction or leaving without being paid what he is owed.

As much as people want to get their knickers in a twist, it’s at stalemate until those two parties can come to an agreement on how to proceed.

De Jong holds all the cards though, make no mistake about that. If Barca really need him off the books so bad they agreed a deal with United, they will eventually be forced to make a settlement with the player.
If they don’t, De Jong stays on 17m minimum a year and Barça shoot their wage cap in the foot, and can’t register all new players they want. De Jong would obviously still be a very important player for them in that situation.
It's a very messy situation. The problem is none of us know the impact that it would have on Barca's finances/FFP status if they were to sell him with a payoff. At the moment the payback on money owed to FDJ is split, to an extent, over 48 months/208 weeks.

Green_Red

Do you get an alert when you quote yourself?
Just pointing out that it was obvious 3 and a half weeks ago we weren't going to sign this lad and yet we're still fecking around which shows the new people in charge are as clueless as Woodward.

croadyman

There is no way we go this far if the player simply isn’t interested in joining us. Absolutely would not happen.
I really want to believe that but got a horrible feeling we are gonna be left with serious egg on our faces over this

Leethal

Jog on.

This whole saga is tiresome and embarrassing from both teams.

1. Barca with their ridiculous games
2. United hanging on and not walking away

We need to restore some dignity to the club. As soon as Barca starts pissing around, just drop interest and move on to another target. If De Jong is #1 target for that role, I hope we've learned a lesson from prior years, and have reasonable alternatives we can pursue instead; rather than waste months on this whole ordeal and up with nothing.

Anyway, who the feck knows what's going on anyway. Some attention seeking knob-head with a Twitter account desperately seeking ridiculous retweets and follows? I doubt it. Journalists? I doubt that even more. People here get far too invested, and put far too much stock in what "ITK Peter Smith from Coventry" posted to his 14 twitter followers, or what some random journalist makes up for click-bait.

Leethal

There is no way we go this far if the player simply isn’t interested in joining us. Absolutely would not happen.
Who knows how far we've even gone?

Nobody knows shit.

Truth is, nobody outside of United and Barca representatives really know what's going on. People have just thrown together little tid-bits of info here and there off random journos and twitter clowns, and made up a whole fecking pantomime.

Yorke to Cole

Time to leave De Jong and his toxic relationship with Barcelona to it.

De Jong runs up to Ten Hag and says "where shall I go? what shall I do?

Eth turns round and says "quite Frenkly my dear, I don't give a damn. '

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Seems we’re looking at other midfielders

A steal at that price, please don't take him, no please...

Actually he's a serviceable midfielder, but he's a back up at best for a top team.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Can I suggest that if anyone who wants to give sitrep of the transfer dealing so far, which that has been a lot, please do it in bullet points to make it easier to read? Summarising essays seems like a cottage industry at the moment.

625 pages is a lot of pages considering the phase of the transfer dealing we are in.

Save our collective attention spans and just bullet point what you think is your reading of the situation today.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Actually he's a serviceable midfielder, but he's a back up at best for a top team.
Not just top teams. He also seems to be a back up for PSG as well.

croadyman

We are in no place to turn our nose up when our current options are McFred

allen7

Have been saying for the last few weeks, there’s absolutely no movement from the player side which will help completing the deal. FDJ looks to be settled with barca and to their lowering wage demands which is perfectly as his decision.

Our club should start looking for other options even better a proper DM and sort out this.

Seij

This just makes me question why he is so intent on being seen to want to stay, like what’s the story, what’s going on that we don’t know? I can only think it’s the money.
It seems straight enough for me. Even with money out of the equation, Barca are a much more coveted club than us in the recent years. They're in the CL whereas we are not. Apparently, he just bought a house there and his family likes the city. Manchester is not exactly a city these multi-millionaires have in mind.

croadyman

Have been saying for the last few weeks, there’s absolutely no movement from the player side which will help completing the deal. FDJ looks to be settled with barca and to their lowering wage demands which is perfectly as his decision.

Our club should start looking for other options even better a proper DM and sort out this.
Yeah cheaper DLP (not easy to find) and a proper DM could well be the perfect alternative to him

Bondi77

Looks like this one is over
Now there will be an avalanche of links with any midfielder in Europe!

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Why the heck would Barcelona turn down 70-80m over 17m? This is in the bag. Simon Jordan talks more sense than some of our 'fans'.

Status
Not open for further replies.