Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The best thing about these threads is the depth of conclusions reached based on the teeniest flimsiest scraps of information.

Esquire

The difference here is the new contract he signed with the backloaded wages. Usually when a player is sold halfway through his contract he’s already made half the money if the contract is evenly spaced out. The problem here is Frenkie as legally worked for Barca for peanuts for years and now is pissed they are selling him. So normally players are ok with transfers if the club doesn’t want them as they’d rather just move where they’re wanted. But Frenkie is due contractually a frankly ludicrous amount of money that nobody will pay him - that’s his and his agent’s fault. They should have known there was a chance they’d essentially be forced to stay at Barca even if Barca don’t want him.

In the end all they can do is stick to the “I’m not leaving” line till it’s essentially Frenkie or Lewa, Rafinha, Kessie, etc so that Barca are forced to pay him to leave. That’s the only play they have and I bet they didn’t want or envision that happening when they signed the contract.
That’s fine for United and Barca and at the end of the day it’s a commercial call for Barca. My only concern is we are getting a player we paid 70m for who does not want to be here at all. Hopefully it’s also posturing on his part to recover his rightful backpay.

Oldtraffordboy

I
The best thing about these threads is the depth of conclusions reached based on the teeniest flimsiest scraps of information.
Its the hopium and refusal to accept players aren't dying to play for us

Also it's fun.

Esquire

I suspect this entire issue has arisen because of poor legal wording and technicalities in the contract. There should ideally be little room for ambiguity over how much and when FDJ will obtain those future payments.
Someone said should blame FDJ’s agents which I completely agree. They should have made sure the deferred payments would become payable immediately if FDJ was to be sold against his wishes. A wrinkle may have been that nether club nor FDJ envisaged this situation where he needed to be sold 12 months back, especially where Xavi rates him.

Oldtraffordboy

Sorry if this has been explained earlier in the thread, but why can't he just leave and get the lawyers to get his money back?

chb23

Sorry if this has been explained earlier in the thread, but why can't he just leave and get the lawyers to get his money back?
Basically he will lose his bargaining power.

Which is "I'm going to stay and fk up your finances"

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Someone said should blame FDJ’s agents which I completely agree. They should have made sure the deferred payments would become payable immediately if FDJ was to be sold against his wishes. A wrinkle may have been that nether club nor FDJ envisaged this situation where he needed to be sold 12 months back, especially where Xavi rates him.
A doubt if any agent and their lawyers would be that naive. An agent's biggest payday will be another transfer. Like Riola, they would all love to churn their players from club to club. So to not anticipate that he could be sold would assume that the agent's lawyer would forgo any further paydays.
Example -- United paid £29million the previous season just to agents.

Eddy_JukeZ

There's no chance the club didn't get assurances from De Jong before agreeing to the fee.

The hold-up is the deferred wages.

You have to be living in La La Land if you think we didn't agree personal terms or outlined it at the very least with De Jong yet before entering into negotiations with Barcelona.

sglowrider

There's no chance the club didn't get assurances from De Jong before agreeing to the fee.
The hold-up is the deferred wages.
You have to be living in La La Land if you think we didn't agree personal terms or outlined it at the very least with De Jong yet before entering into negotiations with Barcelona.
Or Frenkie had initially agreed to some broad agreement of his personal terms -- but had assumed that he would get paid the £17M owed by Barca. Now he has to figure out how who will compensate him for that gap.

Eddy_JukeZ

Or Frenkie had initially agreed to some broad agreement of his personal terms -- but had assumed that he would get paid the £17M owed by Barca. Now he has to figure out how who will compensate him for that gap.
I alluded to this with the outlined bit.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Frenkie de Jong's reps are trying to convince PSG and Chelsea to get involved according to this:
If it is true he is on €500,000pw at Barca, I can’t see how that can work at Chelsea.

prateik

Stay strong Frenkie.. Do not let Barca get away with it.. make them sweat.

Bestie07

If it is true he is on €500,000pw at Barca, I can’t see how that can work at Chelsea.
He's not going to get that at United, or any other club, for that matter. It's only that high because of the deferred wages and that's what the hold up seems to be.

If he wasn't so central to ten Hag's plans, I would have almost wanted us to walk away to see the clusterfeck that would happen there - Barcelona having to reintegrate him after hanging him out to dry, them not being able to register new players, etc.

sglowrider

He's not going to get that at United, or any other club, for that matter. It's only that high because of the deferred wages and that's what the hold up seems to be.
If he wasn't so central to ten Hag's plans, I would have almost wanted us to walk away to see the clusterfeck that would happen there - Barcelona having to reintegrate him after hanging him out to dry, them not being able to register new players, etc.
This. He can't be accused of not being supported by the Management now. Arnold/Murtough has bent over backwards to try get this across the line.

OmarUnited4ever

Frenkie de Jong's reps are trying to convince PSG and Chelsea to get involved according to this:
What do you think Mazhar, is Rob being speculative here?

Because Chelsea are well stocked in Midfield and are prioritizing defence (Koulibaly, Kimpepe, Ake, Kounde ??) and they also need to replace Lukaku and get a CF/Striker.

PSG got Veratti, who is a DLP, similar to De Jong, PSG just signed Vitinha, and might need a pure DM that would fit with Veratti+Vitinha, unless the new coach will play a 343 formation, and in that case they would not need someone like De Jong.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Because Chelsea are well stocked in Midfield and are prioritizing defence (Koulibaly, Kimpepe, Ake, Kounde ??) and they also need to replace Lukaku and get a CF/Striker.

PSG got Veratti, who is a DLP, similar to De Jong, PSG just signed Vitinha, and might need a pure DM that would fit with Veratti+Vitinha, unless the new coach will play a 343 formation, and in that case they would not need someone like De Jong.
I think he's probably got the additional information via Samuel Marsden and MoisESPN who cover Barcelona for the same outlet Dawson works for.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I know he's a top player in a position you want to strengthen but it would be kinda funny if you withdrew your bid and absolutely shafted Barcelona.
I obviously want us to have the best side possible, but the fact this is the alternative is what's keeping me happy about it.

If FdJ holds his ground then we can at least sign someone else, Barcelona will be left with loads of players unregistered after spending a fortune :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

If the right DM is available at the right price, Jorgi and Kante are starting to drop off and we don’t have too many options for DM.

It is not a high priority like our other needs.

lysglimt

Scout
I wonder which of Barca's new signings had the smart agent:

Agent: What wages are you offering to my client ?
Barca: €150.000 net
Agent: And how much will actually be paid out to my client ?
Barca: €50.000 net-net
Agent: And the remaining €100.000 ?
Barca: We don't know if we can afford to pay your client that - but we will write you an IOU
Agent: so you are offering my client €50.000 Barca-net ?
Barca: Si - exactly

EtH

I know he's a top player in a position you want to strengthen but it would be kinda funny if you withdrew your bid and absolutely shafted Barcelona.
Yeah you lot would love that wouldn’t you.

Mainoldo

It seems they are saying they don't owe him anything, what seems most logical and seems to be coming out is that Frenkie agreed to delay the payment of these deferred wages by adding them to his contracted salary later in to the contract. Thus if his wage was 20m before, it would be 24, this year, 28, etc. Barca are saying he agreed to a pay deal where his payments were changed, so legally they owe him nothing. Which if his agents did put that in his contract they are morons
Based on @city-puma explanation which is has explained a million times but for some reason misses his own point that FDJ signed a new contract… Barca probably have a very valid point.

Also his agent is an idiot if he made him sign a new deal.

Cloud7

I suspect this entire issue has arisen because of poor legal wording and technicalities in the contract. There should ideally be little room for ambiguity over how much and when FDJ will obtain those future payments.
This is one of the points I always make when people ask why do players need agents or why they are paid so much etc. Clubs will always try to screw players over given the chance.

rebornsoull

This saga is so drawn out now, it feels like we are forcing him to join our club. It always doesnt ends well.

MinGin

You never know you will win or lose if the thing goes to court.
But stay at Barce and refuse to leave, you have a big chance to get what you should get if they cannot offload other players.
Otherwise, Barce cannot register any new signed player in this window. If this happens, it will be laughable.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Negative night owls have been out in force again I see. Right, we’re back now, we’ll take it from here and steer this ship in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.