Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Negative night owls have been out in force again I see. Right, we’re back now, we’ll take it from here and steer this ship in the right direction.
When does the plane leave? If he’s on it, this it’s finished with in my eyes.

Unless it gets landed at Manchester Airport by Murtough, a la John McClane in Die Hard, this is over.

frostbite

Done deal. We only need 1000 pages and De Jong will join us. After Barca, we need to prove we love him.

Redcy

This is one of the points I always make when people ask why do players need agents or why they are paid so much etc. Clubs will always try to screw players over given the chance.
I always thought agents were scum until I started reading books by footballers. The number of players who say they get screwed over by clubs and managers is ridiculous.
I can’t stand them now mainly because of the high fees and how scum my some are, but what I did learn was that an agent will never do or say anything without his client’s agreement. Occasionally they cock up wording, etc, but it’s usually starting with the player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That’s only true if legally he deferred wages - something that has been questioned. Apparently he signed a new contract that backloaded his wages NOT deferred them. So legally he isn’t owed anything.

Of course he has the right to see his contract through, but I don’t think he has any standing to accept the transfer and still get his money, which is why he’s adamant he’s not leaving.
All the arguments that he should just leave and fight this in court might not be in his favour after all.
The leverage he has in this scenario is that Barca need him off the books so he might be able to finagle some payment for leaving - but it won’t be all the money he gave up upfront when he signed the new contract.
Actually legally he is owed the entirety of his contract, in Football contracts are fully guaranteed and what happens is that in order to facilitate moves, players and clubs either agree to bilaterally break the agreement or the club pay the difference.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
This transfer is literally like a pantomime.

Can't wait until its over in all fairness. I don't think it's done and over if he goes on tour, but it complicates things a little. Let's see what happens

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Actually legally he is owed the entirety of his contract, in Football contracts are fully guaranteed and what happens is that in order to facilitate moves, players and clubs either agree to bilaterally break the agreement or the club pay the difference.
You’re right. I should have said he isn’t owed his future higher salary if he agrees to transfer. Which is why he’s not.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Be interesting to see if we do really walk away after today.
After all the effort we've put into this it's highly unlikely we walk away. Not impossible but unlikely.

Not sure where Dawson got his info of his agent wanting PSG or Chelsea to get involved... wasn't that covered about 120 pages ago where it was a shite source that started that he wanted CL football? Shocked he's still pushing that.

IF he joins, which I'm still very sure he will, you know he's going to be asked in his interview about all these rumours... it'll be funny to see what the answer is.

julianfr

Bloody hell I really don't care if he signs anymore. I was really excited but that's gone completely.

Someone mentioned a while back setting a deadline for Barcelona; we should do the same for Frenkie. He signed the contract with them so he has to sort it out with them otherwise we walk. We leave them to lie in the shite bed they made for themselves.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ll be honest I’m not that bothered if we tell all parties to go feck themselves if this isn’t resolved by the stroke of midnight.

It’s no biggie. We move on.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I can’t see today really being any sort of deadline. The deadline is 1st September and this will rumble on until we either sign him or the window has slammed shut.

WPMUFC

The contractual disagreement centres on deferred payments that were included in the playmaker's new four-year deal, which only became active on 1 July.

There have been widespread reports in Spain that Barcelona have told De Jong he needs to leave for financial reasons.

However, De Jong knows Barcelona must honour his contract if he chooses to remain at the Nou Camp and he is understood to be reluctant to leave without an agreement over his exit terms, which would take into account the deferred payments.

United have alternatives should De Jong not join but are willing to give the situation more time to resolve itself before taking an alternative course.

Meanwhile the club are also still unsure if Cristiano Ronaldo will return to pre-season training.

Confirmation that Chelsea are no longer interested in signing the 37-year-old has reduced his options away from Old Trafford.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62174838

:devil: :devil:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bloody hell I really don't care if he signs anymore. I was really excited but that's gone completely.

Someone mentioned a while back setting a deadline for Barcelona; we should do the same for Frenkie. He signed the contract with them so he has to sort it out with them otherwise we walk. We leave them to lie in the shite bed they made for themselves.
This makes little sense, we want him to prematurely end that contract which is the only situation where Barcelona can legally get out of that contract. If anything United should be the most patient actor or should pay the 17m. Otherwise your proposition is a bit like threatening to shoot in your own foot.

OmarUnited4ever

Do you know it includes the deferred salary? 17m /4 = 4.25m/yr
(18m-4.25m)/52=264k/wk
Yes, so perhaps the club can offer him the same deal which is €14M annually, or €270K pw, or £228K pw, plus some bonuses that might take his overall up to £300K pw. (this is me speculating on what package the club would offer him when he joins).

I still think it's a huge offer for De Jong, but I understand why would the club go this far if they do so,

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I think we will walk away if the cheap fecks don't pay the money they owe to Frenkie.

Son

With the squad Real currently have, and Athletico to a degree too, I struggle to see them winning the league in the next year or two. They have some good young kids but the squad looks a bit disjointed at the moment

Same issue for them in the CL when you see the squads Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Bayern, PSG have.
Barcelona are a weird one with Xavi. Something about their destruction of Madrid last season showed domestically at least they have potential.

Pedri is probably the second best player in La Liga already at 19 but they really need to give him a supporting cast. Add Lewandoski and a few others they are capable of doing stuff in La Liga.

Agree on the CL though they ain’t winning that anytime soon. You need serious squad depth for that.

RatPack

The problem with walking away from this deal is that all will know we are desperate for a similar player and who ever we go for they will charge a ridicules amount like Neves for 70 mill.
At least et seams we are now bringing in players for other positions.
I still expect the only problem remaining with the deal is the money Barca owe him but they will prolong this right up to their deadline.

WPMUFC

Yeah, we've wasted way too many pages on FDJ's intentions. Ducker was likely briefed direct from the Club. This was right before the trip to Spain. I don't know how people keep glossing over it. We are still in the deal because FDJ's camp gave us the green light. The noise about staying is solely related to the money.

Why folks want to twist themselves into "agendas" beats me. It's a simple case of "man wants his money before he leaves". It's no simpler or complex than that. :lol:
I said it yesterday, and i'll say it again. Stop talking every damn SPORT tweet as doomer gospel. If he leaves to go on the tour, it means nothing. It means a 50/50 journo was wrong. We'll probably get 30 fecking pages of doom, but it means nothing. He doesn't want to leave.....without a concrete deal sorted for his money. It's not that hard to comprehend.

Redcy

"Most of the others are unknowns"
Well in the sense we are talking about players like Sangare who has not been anything all that outstanding really and has been in Ligue 1 and Eredivisie. Decent player, but all the issues we know about other players from those leagues apply. Many of the other names mentioned are similar punts, mostly requiring is to buy two players (for example Sangare and Neves/Tielemans), and my belief in Uniteds transfer capability to deliver two players has been some what shaken over the last few years.

Man-United

It feels like during Woodward.

Giving a 3 year deal to a player over 30.
Chasing a player that rather stay at his current club.

"Doing transfers the United way" tune stuck with moyes

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We shouldn’t take it personally. I wouldn’t want to move from Barcelona to Manchester either.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yes, so perhaps the club can offer him the same deal which is €14M annually, or €270K pw, or £228K pw, plus some bonuses that might take his overall up to £300K pw. (this is me speculating on what package the club would offer him when he joins).

I still think it's a huge offer for De Jong, but I understand why would the club go this far if they do so,
He’s owed 88m euros over the next 4 years. We’ve offered him 16m a year which is around £280k a week. 22m a year which is his current salary averaged out is £390k a week and breaks our wage structure - so no we absolutely shouldn’t pay him what he’s currently on. Barcelona can pay him the difference after getting him to accept hugely reduced wages during the pandemic to stop them going bust - after all they desperately want him gone and we’re already paying a huge fee and making him our 3rd biggest earner.

Greck

The deferred wages shouldn't even be our problem. These guys would be absolute pieces of shit if they're trying to get us to cover their contractual obligation that has nothing to do with us. So we'd be paying for services rendered to Barca. If the wages have been deferred they can go make a payment plan. The player isn't going to waive his money and we shouldn't have to pay for it either. This would make for one of the sleaziest sagas ever. How do you even end up owing a player that much? Pay him from the transfer fee we're already paying. This shouldn't even be a problem unless Barca are being slimy.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Ducker: "MUFC was given the green light from FDJ's camp to keep negotiating the deal"

Stone: "FDJ doesn't want to leave without a deal sorted"

Romano: "I never said he didn't want to join MUFC"

Redcafe: "This is embarrassing, why are we chasing a player that hates MUFC"

:houllier: :houllier:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Nah. How do you know that then?
And how do you know he doesn't want to come for certain?
Going by twitter reports? The same reports that also say he doesn't want to leave because of the huge wages Barca owe him?

Picking and chosing what you want to believe. Yep sounds right

Status
Not open for further replies.