Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

The absolute worst part about the outstanding wages is Barca should be taking it out of the 65m we're already paying. This shouldn't be an issue unless thry are being greedy and wanting us to pay it or are expecting him to waive what they owe him. FDJ can complete he transfer and sue for his wages. The empathy he's giving them makes me feel he really does want to stay. It really shouldn't hold up the move because Barca have no ground to dodge paying him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If it's as simple as Barca paying De Jong what he's owed, why aren't they? It does feel like they are buying themselves time but I'm not entirely sure why. They need the money, De Jong is their biggest most sellable asset, they are the only ones that can end the impasse. And yet, they aren't... I know they are a bunch of broke ass bitches these days but they are taking the piss with this.

Disagree that we need to move on as there's clearly willing from De Jong's camp and you'd imagine he's given the greenlight to ten Hag. Would be good to get this wrapped up sooner rather than later, though.
The thing is it's not simple. He signed a new contract with Barca where they pay him a much higer salary towards the end of his contract for a ridiculously low wage for the previous two years.
If he leaves, Barca are under no obligation to pay him. And it seems they believe so. Andy Mitten even says Barca think that's our problem to sort out.

Aeryis

Really does show how impatient people are in here and how little they know about transfers.
It really isn't like Football Manager, there are lots of things going on behind the scenes that can cause transfers to drag on, you just have to use common sense and try to see things for what they really are.

Let me ask, how are you so certain that Frenkie isn't interested? Are you close friends with him? Do you have the United and Barca offices wiretapped? Do you have Frenkies phone tapped too? Funny how so many random posters on here seem to know more than the actual clubs. Maybe a few of you should apply to United to be negotiatiors, with all your amazing inside knowledge?
Impatient? Can you name any other top club that's had a transfer saga as ridiculous and as drawn out as this one this summer? This isn't normal, it's abnormal transfer behaviour. Even more abnormal when this was the exact 'signing' that was preventing us for making any sort of moves earlier on in the window. Look at how quickly Chelsea is taking care of its signings in key areas after changing its ownership. We've had one of the worst midfields in the top half for years now and the only signing in the area we've made is yet another fecking attacking midfielder in Eriksen. Pre-season has already started, the season starts in a few weeks, and our worst areas on the pitch are still not being taken care of.

I would be okay if this was a one off, but it's been 9 years of this shit and somehow we're being impatient? 3 seasons of McFred and yet I'm impatient?

Let me ask, how are you so certain that Frenkie isn't interested?
He literally said so several times, in public, if you haven't been paying attention. Oh, you probably just think it's "negotiation tactics" too.

MinGin

People here are weird. We have players like Bailly and Telles playing on our tour. I wouldn't expect these players to be with us beyond 1st September, but as long as they are there the club will use them. Same applies for every club and their players. People act like a player who went on a tour never got transferred later on in the window.:rolleyes:
We have no financial problem on their salary and we are not deadly push them out.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
If we have to go another season then so be it. We wait for the right person.

Eriksen, Fred, Mctominay, DVB, Savage, Iqbal may not be world class but it's hardly the worst in the world.

Sometimes you miss out on targets and that gives another a chance. I've really liked what the 2 young lads have shown so far, they could progress to be as good as FDJ.

Is it frustrating? sure - but we've missed out on bigger names before and still done OK.
I agree with you, but you forgot Garner too. Every chance he is what we’re looking for next to Fred or Eriksen.

Josep Dowling

Still find it incredible that we have signed a LB, CB and Number 10 when our priorities was surely CM, RB, RW and a back up striker. Another season with ridiculous imbalance in the squad. We have 3 LB and 7 CB currently.

I have a feeling we going into the season short in midfield because of this transfer saga. It should have been sacked off weeks ago. There were options for free transfers and cheap signings in CM but we passed on them to get a very expensive transfer done for a player that doesn’t want to join. Arguably we need two CM anyway.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree with you, but you forgot Garner too. Every chance he is what we’re looking for next to Fred or Eriksen.
I did indeed - shame he's had a bad start to pre season. Unless he really shines against Palace and Villa he might not be counted on early.

Plant0x84

Neves is number one target I reckon followed by Tielemans, however without De Jong maybe should look at signing cheaper option and a DM like Sangare.
Same old names, with very few ACTUAL links to any of them. I guess if we have to then sign Sangare, a proper DM and play Fred or Eriksen at 8. My guess is Bruno and Donny will rotate at 10

the_cliff

If it's as simple as Barca paying De Jong what he's owed, why aren't they? It does feel like they are buying themselves time but I'm not entirely sure why. They need the money, De Jong is their biggest most sellable asset, they are the only ones that can end the impasse. And yet, they aren't... I know they are a bunch of broke ass bitches these days but they are taking the piss with this.

Disagree that we need to move on as there's clearly willing from De Jong's camp and you'd imagine he's given the greenlight to ten Hag. Would be good to get this wrapped up sooner rather than later, though.
I've asked this countless times and no one has answered me.

This is what I don't get which makes me think something else is going on in the background and we're being taken for a ride. People can say Barca are inept all they want but I don't think Barca will risk the registering of their new signings and 72 mill in transfer fees over 17m in deferred wages.

Everyone seems to think we have all the power, Barca NEED to sell, FDJ WANTS to join, no other team is interested, if we pull out of this deal Barca are Fecked. Yet we've apparently agreed a fee and the player is going on tour with the other team. :lol::lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who are the other options and fit in with what Ten Hag wants from his midfielder? Not just any old body.
According to the media, Ruben Neves. An alright midfielder who doesn’t play anywhere near the same stylistically as Frenkie.

So…

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Impatient? Can you name any other top club that's had a transfer saga as ridiculous and as drawn out as this one this summer? This isn't normal, it's abnormal transfer behaviour. Even more abnormal when this was the exact 'signing' that was preventing us for making any sort of moves earlier on in the window. Look at how quickly Chelsea is taking care of its signings in key areas after changing its ownership. We've had one of the worst midfields in the top half for years now and the only signing in the area we've made is yet another fecking attacking midfielder in Eriksen. Pre-season has already started, the season starts in a few weeks, and our worst areas on the pitch are still not being taken care of.

I would be okay if this was a one off, but it's been 9 years of this shit and somehow we're being impatient? 3 seasons of McFred and yet I'm impatient?

He literally said so several times, in public, if you haven't been paying attention. Oh, you probably just think it's "negotiation tactics" too.
Ah yes, because he said so. How many times have players said they love a club and don't want to leave, only for them to leave! Ronaldo did it in 2009, said he loved United and he was looking forward to the future with us... that was in June i believe, a few weeks later he was gone. Many players have done it. You get the egotistical bastards that like to think they're bigger than a club and force a move, but most don't.

You seem to think that giving up €17m isn't a problem and that he should do straight away. If he says he wants to leave, Barca could use that to get out of paying him the owed money depending on whats written into his contract, WHICH WE DON'T KNOW! Theres also the loyalty bonuses that he'd forgo if he said he wants to leave. He's likely being advised to say he wants to stay to ensure that he gets the cash. You truly do believe that transfers are as simple as submitting a bid, having it accepted and the player just accepting personal terms. Barca are in a fecking mess at the moment, they owe money out left and right, they owe players obscene amounts of money and yet they're still signing players like nothing is wrong. If they're making signings then it surely shows that they're confident, as are United that de Jong is going. They've probably already spent the fixed fee we've promised them in my opinion!

Plus this is a new team in charge now, Woodward the liability is gone. United want to get as far away from that shit as possible. This was never going to be an easy transfer to sort out and United knew that from the very beginning. Ten Hag has his assurances and he's pushing United to keep going. Can you imagine the backlash on him from the board if it turns out that de Jong doesn't want to come? They'd question every signings suggestion he has in my opinion. So how about looking at the bigger picture and viewing things from different angles instead of just blindly swallowing what the media feeds you?

Bertie Wooster

That's up to ETH to decide I guess. He might think from what he's seen of Savage/Iqbal so far that we aren't that desperate for reinforcements.

I'm sure if the deal isn't looking like happening we will move onto other targets, but we might have to be patient and wait.

Sometimes you just have to put faith in what you've got, i'd quite like to see Savage/Iqbal given more of a chance. Their pre season form is warranting that.
Yeah, Savage and Iqbal have looked promising in the friendlies. Although I've seen them in the U18's and U23's and always rated Hannibal higher, so I'm surprised how little opportunity he's had to impress so far this summer.

I'd like to see them get some opportunities in the League Cup, EL, sub appearances in the league, etc.

But I can't compare their role in the squad with that of an experienced £50m+ signing coming in to be the lynch pin of ETH's set-up. They're youngsters with hardly any senior football who should be getting their minutes without a huge amount of pressure to perform. So if we miss out on de Jong, I think we still need another senior player to come in and play in what is a huge role within the set up. The minutes of creative youngsters like Iqbal and Hannibal should be when the likes of Eriksen and Fernandes are rested.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We have no financial problem on their salary and we are not deadly push them out.
What has that got to do with anything? Literally every club takes players on tour that may end up being sold later in the window.

Plant0x84

Find it very bizarre people criticising others for having 0 faith in our recruitment team. The recent evidence is beyond horrendous.

It is perfectly reasonable to think we’ve been chasing someone for 10 weeks who has 0 interest in joining with no backup plan. I’m inclined to think that’s exactly what’s happening here. We should have moved on a while ago.

Any sensible club would have other strong targets. I’ll probably get criticism for not having a definitive list of targets myself.
It just isn’t though. New CEO, new FD doing the negotiations instead of judge, new lawyers, scouts have left, new manager chasing the players. It’s inconceivable that all these new people, manager especially would be as monumentally stupid as you are suggesting. No sane business person would chase a multimillion pound investment knowing it would fail, no sane manager would chase a player that made it clear to them he won’t sign - especially with a prior relationship. No sane club would waste a rebuild opportunity for a wild goose chase. There is just no way.

Revaulx

The below seems a reasonable opinion. Part of this reset in approach should be putting an end to targets who come here out of nothing less than obligation.
One would hope for all our sakes that he’s saying he wants to stay in public in order not to weaken his negotiations with Barcelona regarding his arrears, while privately telling United and ETH that it’s just a front and actually he’s really keen.

In the event that isn’t so, I’m 100% with you and agree it’s extremely disappointing from those leading the reset.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

This is what I don't get which makes me think something else is going on in the background and we're being taken for a ride. People can say Barca are inept all they want but I don't think Barca will risk the registering of their new signings and 72 mill in transfer fees over 17m in deferred wages.

Everyone seems to think we have all the power, Barca NEED to sell, FDJ WANTS to join, no other team is interested, if we pull out of this deal Barca are Fecked. Yet we've apparently agreed a fee and the player is going on tour with the other team. :lol::lol:
Barca don't want to pay his deferred wages thats the simple fact of it. They want to spread it out over a longer period it seems, so they want him to take a huge pay cut again and defer more wages for a longer period. If they could pay the €17m right away don't you think they would have? They want him sold for FFP purposes that much is absolutely guaranteed, hell they admitted it yesterday!

Barca can't register their players with La Liga if they don't free up some FFP, not sure why you can't grasp that, but hey, if you want to live in la la land and believe that Barca are stringing us along, then by all means, feel free. They can't pay the money to de Jong, they also can't have his huge wages on the books, it just can't happen. They're signing players with the hopes that de Jong will be gone soon (my opinion)

For the last time, he's gone on tour because as of now, he's their bloody player and they can do what they want with him. Fee or no fee agreed, if they want to take him on tour, they can. If they want to leave him in Spain, they can. If they want to leave him in the stands or on the bench in the US, they can. It's their choice!!

Telsim

This guy is absolutely not worth all of this. Neither the fee, nor the wages, nor the drama. And he doesn't even want to join. Just leave him to rot with his precious Barca, and them to dig themselves out of their financial hole. I'm sure there are footballers out there that will cost less and do the same. And actually want to do it. Sangare, Bennacer, Fabian Ruiz off the top of my head. And certainly there are others.

youmeletsfly

The level of pabic from the average entitled United fan in this thread is fecking hilarious.
Grown men are moaning about things they have zero control of, being unsatisfied that they're new shiny toy might not come at all.

Boy football does transform grown men into full idiots most of the time.

Now the rant is over, I still think this is done and they're just ironing out a way to force Barsa to pay Frenkie his money.

If, by any means, he does not come, who gives a flying feck? He's not the first player who's transfer fell off and won't be the last.

RkkMan

If we have to go another season then so be it. We wait for the right person.

Eriksen, Fred, Mctominay, DVB, Savage, Iqbal may not be world class but it's hardly the worst in the world.

Sometimes you miss out on targets and that gives another a chance. I've really liked what the 2 young lads have shown so far, they could progress to be as good as FDJ.

Is it frustrating? sure - but we've missed out on bigger names before and still done OK.
Not every target warrants the Sancho treatment(which we were VERY lucky with because we got CL football the next year)especially one who isn't enthusiastic to be here. At least Sancho wanted to join us which made the wait worth it.
And it leads to the question suppose we decide to wait and use our current CM options and fail to get CL football what then? What if he refuses to join us again? We can't afford to take such a stupid decision in a position that's been a problem for A DECADE if we can't get FDJ we should sign someone else and give ourselves a chance to have a good season instead of freezing everything for a player who clearly sees us as his worst case scenario

Edwards6

Because they're trying to force him to leave without paying the money that's owed to him

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
This guy is absolutely not worth all of this. Neither the fee, nor the wages, nor the drama. And he doesn't even want to join. Just leave him to rot with his precious Barca and them to dig themselves out of their financial hole. I'm sure there are footballers out there that will cost less and do the same. And actually want to do it. Sangare, Bennacer, Fabian Ruiz off the top of my head. And certainly there are others.
Our manager disagrees. He may be wrong, but I trust his judgement more than yours

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It just isn’t though. New CEO, new FD doing the negotiations instead of judge, new lawyers, scouts have left, new manager chasing the players. It’s inconceivable that all these new people, manager especially would be as monumentally stupid as you are suggesting. No sane business person would chase a multimillion pound investment knowing it would fail, no sane manager would chase a player that made it clear to them he won’t sign - especially with a prior relationship. No sane club would waste a rebuild opportunity for a wild goose chase. There is just no way.
We agreed a fee 3 days ago and he’s going on tour with his current team? Every single reliable source says he’s committed to staying. I really don’t know where you get your faith from. If this was an isolated case then fair enough but it stinks of previous transfers dealings. All of which have been failures.

Bondi77

Still find it incredible that we have signed a LB, CB and Number 10 when our priorities was surely CM, RB, RW and a back up striker. Another season with ridiculous imbalance in the squad. We have 3 LB and 7 CB currently.

I have a feeling we going into the season short in midfield because of this transfer saga. It should have been sacked off weeks ago. There were options for free transfers and cheap signings in CM but we passed on them to get a very expensive transfer done for a player that doesn’t want to join. Arguably we need two CM anyway.
Sancho will play RW and Erik will make Laird an attacking machine at RB.

Wilt

Based on what? The fact Chelsea were interested and their interest seems to have dried up?
Or the fact they really don't need him due to having players in his position already?

What reasoning do you have for this statement? Spanish media is my main guess
I don’t listen to Spanish press, they’re more full of bollocks than British media.

Don’t see the point in pursing a player who wants to live and play in Barcelona. However, if he is forced out, think he would prefer Chelsea, being a CL club, whereas unfortunately Utd are wanna be CL.

Hey, it’s only my take, don’t take it to heart.

crossy1686

career ending

Real Madrid - Mbappe, Ronaldo
Bayern - Sane
Barcelona - Lewandovski, Villa, Haaland
Juventus - Pogba
City - Haaland, Robinho, Kaka
Liverpool - Thiago, VVD

These are only a few, stop being a bed wetter because you’ve got the patience of a toddler.

the_cliff

Barca don't want to pay his deferred wages thats the simple fact of it. They want to spread it out over a longer period it seems, so they want him to take a huge pay cut again and defer more wages for a longer period. If they could pay the €17m right away don't you think they would have? They want him sold for FFP purposes that much is absolutely guaranteed, hell they admitted it yesterday!

Barca can't register their players with La Liga if they don't free up some FFP, not sure why you can't grasp that, but hey, if you want to live in la la land and believe that Barca are stringing us along, then by all means, feel free. They can't pay the money to de Jong, they also can't have his huge wages on the books, it just can't happen. They're signing players with the hopes that de Jong will be gone soon (my opinion)

For the last time, he's gone on tour because as of now, he's their bloody player and they can do what they want with him. Fee or no fee agreed, if they want to take him on tour, they can. If they want to leave him in Spain, they can. If they want to leave him in the stands or on the bench in the US, they can. It's their choice!!
Ok, so they can't give FDJ 17mill to leave, therefore not gaining 82mill from United for the transfer and not being able to register their new 60mill and 55mill signings (Raphinha and Lewa) who were both paid for by Barcelona in majority up front.

Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.