Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
So based on that the income boost from lever activation causes the wage cap to rise and thus they can register their signings.
In the case of FDJ it was a big amount off their wage bill, and raising a decent bit of capital without too much pain.
So it's basically a one season fix? What happens next season when they don't have that income and FDJ still on their books?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Absolutely. I’ve said before it’s a perfect storm for United in that he is their highest earner because of the deferred wage, he’s in a position where the have great cover and homegrown prospects so they want him out, we have the attraction of ETH and we need a player in his position and nobody else needs/wants Frenkie.
He will leave Barca and we are his most likely destination. This will get done, no doubt.
I believe that it'll get done as i imagine that to keep de Jongs value up for the next season, they'll have to play him regularly, which theres nothing saying they won't, but from all accounts, it seems like they have other players that they want to play in his position, meaning he won't get as much time, or he'll be subbed often.
The most logical thing for Barca is to sell him now, get him off the books and get in other players they want for much less wages

zenith

Why oh why are we in this holy mess. We need a DM desperately and ETH being this stubborn is really going to cost us very badly.

God only knows what's going on inside that bald head

caid

I truly don't understand how FFP in Spain works.
I mean how could they add several players on high wages, keep de Jong on his mega contract and not have to sell anyone because of a few levers being triggered? I just don't understand it. What incentive does it give clubs to properly balance the books if they can just sell off bits and pieces to make money and go year to year. Surely it's a very very short term solution as next year they'll be in an even worse position if de Jong stays
The sales are declared as income, their losses become profits and their wage cap is increased.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
So it's basically a one season fix? What happens next season when they don't have that income and FDJ still on their books?
It'll surely get even worse. Less income from BLM, TV rights as well as ko big cash injection, plus even higher wages on the books would mean they wouldn't be able to sign anyone next summer you'd imagine.

But then again, I thought that was going to be the case this summer and they've spent more than anyone else :lol:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Why oh why are we in this holy mess. We need a DM desperately and ETH being this stubborn is really going to cost us very badly.

Well he obviously knows a lot more about the situation than we do. So i imagine he'll know if it'll get done or not.
If we're sticking around, there is a very good chance that he believes it'll be done sooner or later

Summit

It'll surely get even worse. Less income from BLM, TV rights as well as ko big cash injection, plus even higher wages on the books would mean they wouldn't be able to sign anyone next summer you'd imagine.

But then again, I thought that was going to be the case this summer and they've spent more than anyone else :lol:
They are throwing all their eggs into this season in the hope they win it all. Christ

P-Nut

Whats the point in getting the wrong DM in though? We're not winning the league this season and aren't even in the CL so I'd rather build towards that and sign players that may help us do that. FDJ is such a player, the other options likely aren't.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They are throwing all their eggs into this season in the hope they win it all. Christ
Would be quite funny if they had a dismal CL and League run. I imagine they'll be up there in the top 4 of the league, but as for CL, i don't think they'll do amazingly well

P-Nut

Yeah seems that way, the obviously went out of CL early last season and then struggled in Europa so getting further in the CL would be a big increase on revenue.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Whats the point in getting the wrong DM in though? We're not winning the league this season and aren't even in the CL so I'd rather build towards that and sign players that may help us do that. FDJ is such a player, the other options likely aren't.
Our CM was already shit last season and its now weaker having lost Mata, Matic and Lingard. Meanwhile everyone around us had strengthened their team. We can't possibly compete by just signing some backup LB, a free transfer and tiny Martinez from the farmer league

Summit

Would be quite funny if they had a dismal CL and League run. I imagine they'll be up there in the top 4 of the league, but as for CL, i don't think they'll do amazingly well
Yeah seems that way, the obviously went out of CL early last season and then struggled in Europa so getting further in the CL would be a big increase on revenue.
I hope they fail so bad it's laughable. They always come out smelling of roses though

P-Nut

They should have a really good midfield and attack, but I'm not convinced about their defence at all.

Fati, Lewandowski, Raphina, Dembele, Gavi, Pedri, Kessie, Busquets and De Jong does sound decent and that's discounting Auba and Torres who they signed in January

caid

We should probably buy a second midfielder regardless of de jong to be honest. Unless garner is doing particularly well.

P-Nut

Our CM was already shit last season and its now weaker having lost Mata, Matic and Lingard. Meanwhile everyone around us had strengthened their team. We can't possibly compete by just signing some backup LB, a free transfer and tiny Martinez from the farmer league
We've also strengthened our side going from 2 managers who had nothing like the credentials to manage us to one of the best up and coming managers in Europe. Players might improve under ETH and also young players may come through, if not we address the issue next season with someone that fits what the manager wants rather than signing square pegs for round holes.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
We've also strengthened our side going from 2 managers who had nothing like the credentials to manage us to one of the best up and coming managers in Europe. Players might improve under ETH and also young players may come through, if not we address the issue next season with someone that fits what the manager wants rather than signing square pegs for round holes.
I think thats the problem. People are so disallusioned with how the squad has been, especially midfield, they'd literally take anyone who they consider to be an upgrade over McFred.
I can understand that, but we've done that in the past, just spending money for the sake of it and it never worked.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Does he not get a period of grace or benefit of the doubt to work and create his team before we start questioning and criticising?

NLunited

Fred and McTominay are good squad players, just don‘t play them at the same time. With FdJ and Eriksen added we will have a very good midfield. More will be added or developed.

I don‘t understand the hate here for McT. Decent destroyer, if he was elsewhere you‘d probably be talking him up.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think thats the problem. People are so disallusioned with how the squad has been, especially midfield, they'd literally take anyone who they consider to be an upgrade over McFred.
I can understand that, but we've done that in the past, just spending money for the sake of it and it never worked.
It’s a bit hypocritical though for the fan base to complain forever about £1bn wasted in the wrong players and having nothing to show for it, and in the next breath clamouring to sign every and any other player. If we want genuine change and improvement we have to have patience!

Teja

TBF they built a solid side with good depth and cleaned up the wages quite a bit. The only ones not compliant with their new wage structure are Pique, Busquets, FdJ and maybe Umtiti?

I'm convinced FdJ will go and they only have to pay Pique and Busquets another year or two and then they're clear.

That still leaves a mountain of debt and sold off TV rights but if they get to the latter stages of the CL every year I think they'll be fine.

-------------------- Lewa -------------------------
--- Raph -------------------- Dembele ------
---------- Pedri ---------- Gavi -----------------
----------------------- ?? ----------------------------

With Fati, Torres cover on the wings is a pretty impressive forward line. Maybe it's Torres / Fati LW and Dembele / Raphinha RW but you get the point.

The hardest thing to do now is to replace Busquets with someone and wait for Pedri / Gavi to fulfill their potential. Bilva would be a great medium term fix while they wait for Gavi to grow up. (he's only 17!)

RedMilo

This post had potential to be great right up to the point where you said you don’t think he’ll come.
Of course he is coming. Barca will pay and he will come to lead the revolution.
Unless they activate the 3rd Lever :rolleyes:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Bring them both i suppose... lets try get a Buy One Get One Free deal from Barca.
Benefits us both, we get a free player, they get more wages taken from their wage bill. Sorted! :lol: :lol:
I’m in favour of signing Memphis either way. Be nice for him to help persuade Frenkie too

caid

They should have a really good midfield and attack, but I'm not convinced about their defence at all.

Fati, Lewandowski, Raphina, Dembele, Gavi, Pedri, Kessie, Busquets and De Jong does sound decent and that's discounting Auba and Torres who they signed in January
I'm not convinced to be honest. Kessie could be really important and help balance things up but keeping Gavi out of the team / his best position weakens them a bit. Busquets will need support and im not at all convinced by their full backs besides alba who's getting on too and wont be able to provide what Busquets lacks. Nico could solve some problems as a replacement but its a huge ask for a player that age and experience. Too big an ask without reduced expectations especially if his midfield partners are inexperienced like Pedri and Gavi. I think the latter two undoubtedly have a great future ahead of them but right here, right now it'll probably be a mixed season for them.
Front line ... Lewandowski is a great start and it goes down hill immediately. Fati and Dembele are too busy being injured to be of much value. Raphina is a good player but not much more might not settle immediately. Bit better than Torres to be fair. We'll see what happens, it doesn't really stand out to me beyond the one player.
Weak full backs and lack of midfield cover will leave a good defence exposed imo. Think even without Kounde they'll have good options centrally and Stegen has been very good over the years.

RedMilo

The Messi comment was alluding to how people are treating him as if he is one of a kind and no one else comes close. Not like he's not been, let's face it, a flop for the last two years. Whether that's his fault or Barca's, he's been decidedly average and the jury is still out on the batch of Ajax 2018/2019 players outside of that bubble.

I agree we need a possession based midfielder but there are other players that can do the same job that actually want to come here and will sign for us yesterday. Conversely, I think signings like this sum up everything wrong with our transfer policy post-Fergie where we sign players kicking and screaming that don't want to be here. We're still Manchester United FFS.
I don't think that though is what has been fundamentally wrong with our transfer strategy, I think moreover we have spent big money on players that weren't our 1st or even 2nd choice targets, and ultimately weren't good enough for us. Mourinho was constantly moaned about MUFC failing to land his top targets, and LVG was the same to an extent, if I recall Thomas Muller was his top attacking target. I get the point that FDJ would prefer to stay in Barcelona, but if the decision is taken out of his hands, we would be daft not to try, he comes across as a good pro, and has worked with the manager before, and is a massive upgrade on McFred.

Tommy79

But then again, I thought that was going to be the case this summer, and they've spent more than anyone else :lol:
Also don't forget the 1.5 billion upgrade to the nou camp starts next season, and I am pretty sure they won't get that on the never never, and also the cost in rent of somewhere to play for the 23/24 season and as others have mention, their back line is in need of replacing.

So I guess the lies you do hear about how the Spanish Gov has it in for Catalonia is really bullshit, as how are they still allowed to operate is like a miracle.

phelans shorts

Fred and McTominay are good squad players, just don‘t play them at the same time. With FdJ and Eriksen added we will have a very good midfield. More will be added or developed.

I don‘t understand the hate here for McT. Decent destroyer, if he was elsewhere you‘d probably be talking him up.
They absolutely would. Instead we need plodders like Tielemans or Neves to stink the joint out for a bit before they realise that the grass isn’t always greener.

But hey, there’s nothing exciting about a youth team player called Scott McTominay when we could have someone with a more far flung exciting name.

Teja

Yeah, Frenkie's basically going to break Barcelona's new wage structure if he stays.
It's somewhat of an issue but he's not the only one breaking it. Pique, Busquets and Umtiti are also pretty high earners and have gotten shafted the same way.

lex talionis

LVG is going to have a meltdown when he hears we’re taking 2 more Dutch players!
I know it's been a topic of discussion on the caf, but there is something a bit off about us being linked with so many Dutch players. But as for LVG, I have to believe that he feels that United are finally in good hands with a Dutch manager.

The issue with Timber was that he would not have been assured of a regular starting role as at least I really do believe that Varane and Maguire will be much improved this season. But it seems to that Timber would have been outstanding RB for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.