Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah, Frenkie's basically going to break Barcelona's new wage structure if he stays.

Source:
So regardless of how many levers are pulled, the simple fact is, de Jong needs to lower his wages or Barca are screwed.
I'm guessing they want Lewa as the highest earner for this season at least

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Correct, they already approved both BLM and the TV rights, though as I suspected and as @Niemans mentioned, Barcelona are reluctant to sell those BLM rights at this time. However, I was specifically asking about Barça Studios, which is different to both BLM and the TV rights.

I doubt they'd be as reluctant to sell part of Barça Studios given that it's making a loss at this time for them.
Barcelona's partners have already approved the sale of BarcaStudios at last year's assembly. In October more specifically.

In the budget of the season 21-22 already appeared this sale with an income of €50M.
By not occurring it has left an important hole in the economic accounts.

lex talionis

Fred and McTominay are good squad players, just don‘t play them at the same time. With FdJ and Eriksen added we will have a very good midfield. More will be added or developed.

I don‘t understand the hate here for McT. Decent destroyer, if he was elsewhere you‘d probably be talking him up.
Squad players no doubt about it. But we need to strengthen the starting XI. No chance any of the top 20 clubs in Europe apart from United would have McTominay, who's really not a decent destroyer, in their regular starting XI.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Barcelona's partners have already approved the sale of BarcaStudios at last year's assembly. In October more specifically.

In the budget of the season 21-22 already appeared this sale with an income of €50M.
By not occurring it has left an important hole in the economic accounts.
Interesting. I wonder why they'd hold off on triggering the sale in that case. Regardless, I'd expect them to sell this before they sell the licensing & merchandising rights.

SER19

Im at the walk away point with this deal. Season starts in 2 weeks and 2 days, it's incredible that we spent the summer doing this in the position we are most desperate to improve

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Any new name for Barca to explain their antics with what they're doing? shame it's not Liverpool doing this because a rename to Leverpool would be easy.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's somewhat of an issue but he's not the only one breaking it. Pique, Busquets and Umtiti are also pretty high earners and have gotten shafted the same way.
That's right. With Umtiti, they're looking to sell/loan him out at every opportunity this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if both Piqué and Busquets get pushed out like Messi was back in the day. At the moment, both Piqué and Busquets are being held onto because of their legendary status with the club, though in the future seasons, this can change just as it did with Messi.

With de Jong, he doesn't have the legendary status that the former two have, but he's also more useful than Umtiti. Barcelona won't want to push him out unless his presence causes some disharmony in the dressing room or prevents Barcelona from strengthening their team further (the former more likely given the current wage structure that's present).

NewYorkRed

Im at the walk away point with this deal. Season starts in 2 weeks and 2 days, it's incredible that we spent the summer doing this in the position we are most desperate to improve
I mean, what did you want us to do? Everyone says back the manager and that is literally what the club is doing. Its a complicated deal. We’ve agreed a fee. The manager wants him or no one. United can’t really be blamed here.

lex talionis

I've gone and back and forth on walking away. Right now I'm in the hang-in-there camp. Frenkie is a special talent.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Interesting. I wonder why they'd hold off on triggering the sale in that case. Regardless, I'd expect them to sell this before they sell the licensing & merchandising rights.
Because the offers that came in were very low. It is a business that is still everything to be done and has little market.

To me the news that has come out these days of the sale of BarcaStudios has taken me by surprise. And more for the amount they talked about.

I personally until it is not official I do not believe anything.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
This saga is so boring this thread should be shut till something actually happens. It's got to the point where nobody actually cares if he joins or not.

Shades of strootman.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Because the offers that came in were very low. It is a business that is still everything to be done and has little market.

To me the news that has come out these days of the sale of BarcaStudios has taken me by surprise. And more for the amount they talked about.

I personally until it is not official I do not believe anything.
Understood. Thanks for the insight. That was good to learn about.

Chief123

I know it's been a topic of discussion on the caf, but there is something a bit off about us being linked with so many Dutch players. But as for LVG, I have to believe that he feels that United are finally in good hands with a Dutch manager.

The issue with Timber was that he would not have been assured of a regular starting role as at least I really do believe that Varane and Maguire will be much improved this season. But it seems to that Timber would have been outstanding RB for us.
Yeah I think Timber would have been nailed on for RB spot. He’s better than all our current options. He’s brilliant on the ball.

Teja

His football was pathetic to be fair, he lasted several months longer than he should have had.
Yeah I agree. I have memories of waking up at 4AM to watch his games and falling asleep before HT.

Absolutely dreadful football for a guy that speaks of football being a product to entertain audiences etc.

Superunknown

Right now, we have no real choice but to trust the manager and the club with what they are doing.

But, Christ, if they miss out on Frenkie and we don't sign any further players for the midfield position, the club will fully deserve the criticism. Equally, if they do pull it off, then they fully deserve the plaudits, because it does take guts to wait this one out.

I'm nervous. Only dawned on me today that Fred will be 30 in March. No Matic or Pogba in midfield either. I do think it's a moment that is going to play a huge part in our season ahead. I hope it gets done, but I am far from convinced.

Chief123

This saga is so boring this thread should be shut till something actually happens. It's got to the point where nobody actually cares if he joins or not.

Shades of strootman.
Thanks for popping by to say hello. Means a lot.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

Shades of strootman.
Nah lets not shut the thread... United haven't said it's off, so why close the thread?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Right now, we have no real choice but to trust the manager and the club with what they are doing.

But, Christ, if they miss out on Frenkie and we don't sign any further players for the midfield position, the club will fully deserve the criticism. Equally, if they do pull it off, then they fully deserve the plaudits, because it does take guts to wait this one out.

I'm nervous. Only dawned on me today that Fred will be 30 in March. No Matic or Pogba in midfield either. I do think it's a moment that is going to play a huge part in our season ahead. I hope it gets done, but I am far from convinced.
I do trust the manager. He obviously knows whats going on and he's sure that de Jong is coming.

If he wasn't sure, i truly don't think that he'd stick around. It's just pointless for both clubs. The wage issue is holding things up but if Barca truly wanted to sort things and keep him, i'm sure they'd have figured something by now and cancelled the agreement?

worldinmotion66

I'd much rather put all our eggs in the De Jong basket and risk going into the season with Fred, Mctominay, VDB and Garner, than waste money on someone like Tielemans or Neves that isn't quite what we need. I really think Garner can make the step up and improve under Ten Hag.

TheReligion

Abusive

Will Fred dissolve when he hits 30? :nervous:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Shades of strootman.
Oh dear another bell ringer. Thanks for your efforts brother. Good meal & rest for you. Unfortunately you won’t be available for muppetdom this year but reapply next year.

lex talionis

I don't understand the demands for closing down the thread. This is a online forum and this is what we do. If someone finds the speculation and reaction to new rumors distasteful then don't open the thread. At some point this saga will come to and and the thread will be closed but the saga is still well under way.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I don't understand the demands for closing down the thread. This is a online forum and this is what we do. If someone finds the speculation and reaction to new rumors distasteful then don't open the thread. At some point this saga will come to and and the thread will be closed but the saga is still well under way.
I think some people just see an extra 30 or 40 pages and get excited, just to come in and find nothing has changed. But this is a discussion thread, and a lot of this is discussion about the transfer, so if it's not liked... then they shouldn't come in, or just ignore the thread in my opinion

Teja

Yup. If we don't pull this off but remain principled and make reasonable signings then I think they still deserve credit. If we panic buy the equivalent of a Fellaini then nothing truly has changed at the club.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's not that deep my friend.

Yorke to Cole

This is on Ten Hag's head of this does not go through!

We really should not engaged in a such problematic operation, when we are stretched in the most vital area of the field.

If there is no "plan b" as Andy Mitten said, then we have big problems, for the near future.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think some people just see an extra 30 or 40 pages and get excited, just to come in and find nothing has changed. But this is a discussion thread, and a lot of this is discussion about the transfer, so if it's not liked... then they shouldn't come in, or just ignore the thread in my opinion
Those people should learn to use the live tweet function then so they don’t have to read all the pages.

SER19

I mean, what did you want us to do? Everyone says back the manager and that is literally what the club is doing. Its a complicated deal. We’ve agreed a fee. The manager wants him or no one. United can’t really be blamed here.
I think it's pretty clear what i wanted us and the manager to do. Not put everything on one player who doesn't want to join. Surely a top manager can work with an alternative. There are plenty of players in the world and plenty of managers who don't get their first choice every time

Status
Not open for further replies.